• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sony Develops Sugar-Powered Battery

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Bronze Member
Link to the story: Link

If link doesn't work:
Sony Develops Sugar-Powered Battery

By: Reuters

Sony has developed an environmentally-friendly prototype battery that runs on sugars and that can generate enough electricity to power a music player and a pair of speakers, the Japanese company said.

The bio battery's casing is made of a vegetable-based plastic. It measures 3.9 cm (1.5 inch) along each edge and works by pouring sugar solution into the unit, where enzymes break it down to generate electricity.

Test cells had an output of 50 milliwatts, Sony said.

"Sugar is a naturally occurring energy source produced by plants through photosynthesis," Sony said in a statement.

"It is therefore regenerative, and can be found in most areas of the earth, underlining the potential for sugar-based batteries as an ecologically-friendly energy device of the future."

The company said it aims to produce the batteries for commercial use, without specifying when.

Sony was hit last year by the recall of millions of laptop batteries over fears they could catch fire.

Discuss.

Your opinion on this matter?

Deeman

out of order
Awards
Website
www.khinsider.com
Well that's pretty dang interesting. I like it, because they said it would be more ecologically-friendly. That's always good.

But sugar? Dang, we're smart.

Murasame

OMG. Sugar-powered batteries? That's the best thing since the sheep-powered raygun (does anyone remember Sheep in the City? D:). My computer can run on sugar highs, just like me.

8D

Sheep in the City! <3
You have officially earned a cookie :)
Sounds really cool, I'd buy a sugar powered battery.
It'd be better for the environment, this sounds like a step in the right direction.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Holy flying shat Batman! Sugar powered? Oh what wonders has science and engineering have created?! At least someone is going into the right direction. I wonder how long they can last .-.

VirusCoreHacker

Holy flying shat Batman! Sugar powered? Oh what wonders has science and engineering have created?! At least someone is going into the right direction. I wonder how long they can last .-.

Seems we're be having alot of power outages by Hallowween.

lonekyuubi

Thats awesome, yet they keep encouriging kids to play with electricity :/ 'Little kids'

Stupid pun time "Shocking isnt it?" I swear I need a new pun :/

Last edited:

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
sugar-powered battery? next thing you know they'll finally make that pertpetual motion generator that we've been looking for.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
^^ i don't they would make a sugar battery if people were planning to eat them after used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back