• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora's Character Development or Lack of Apparently?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
sorry for doublepost but I just remembered this quote from the first game and had to post it

"Sora, don't ever change"

It was planed from the beggining and Sora doesn't change because Kairi don't want him to.

this haven't been said in this thread before, right?

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Yea I'm not reading 5 pages so sorry if this has been brought up but why is character development seen as the be all and end all of a good character/game/movie/book. Does every freaking piece of fiction have to involve the main character going through some angst ridden journey of self discovery and enlightenment, where every problem he encounters lingers over him for the rest of the game? I personally find nothing wrong with a story about a kid, (and remember that part seeing as he is 14 in the first game and 15 in the second, is he even expected to be able to deal with going through development? Could flesh this out but cbf and I think the meaning's pretty clear) who has never really know any hardship in his life and the things he cares most about in the world are his two childhood friends, going on a journey to save them. Would you be happier if Sora was much more like Riku?
And the whole Sora begging Saix for Kairi's safety? Is that not showing development from the more reckless (stabbing himself at HB, restoring the worlds a the end of the world without knowing what will become of him) sacrificial to a more thoughtful, this-is-my-only-option sacrificial. (Has no choice but to succumb to Saix, let alone the entire "What am I supposed to do if I can't use the Keyblade" where only after thought and discussion did he chose to keep fighting)
Granted I'd like to see Sora maybe being a little more curious about how he landed in this whole situation, and maybe struggle with the decision to give Ven his heart back(this could affect Roxas or something, I don't know, I'm just making crap up here) Anyway I've prattled on for long enough

UnlockedMemories

I personally think Sora shows some character development throughout the series.

In Kingdom Hearts, Sora is just a simple islander who has a crush on Kairi and a rivalry with Riku. Although the pair are friends, Sora seems to show some animosity towards him. He's bigger, stronger, seems more skilled in everything, and he teases about sharing a
Paopu fruit with Kairi. He's just a young kid experiencing childish emotions. However, when the island falls apart, Riku leaves, and a Keyblade is placed in Sora's hand; he gains a new sense of responsibility and emotional depth to him, realizing what in his life matters to him, and what he needs to do to protect it.

As he journeys throughout the worlds, he realizes what true friendship is all about, what it's like to see a loved one change, and what it's like to be separated from a loved on all the same. He wants Kairi and Riku to be back, and he wants to change Riku back to his old self (void from darkness). Think of it as an older brother growing up and changing for the worst. That's Riku to Sora, and Kingdom Hearts shows how he deals with this, and how he tries to change him back. However, it also teaches how you cannot always change people, and Sora learns this first hand. Through this, he meets new friends who he can relate with: which is another aspect of life that a lot of us have to deal with. Sora is no different, and it shows in his character development.

In Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, it shows a new side to Sora. It shows how he matured a little (puberty voice :p) from the past game. As he ventures through Castle Oblivion, he loses his memories. As he loses his memories, new ones are shown through his actions and the way he deals with them. Sora shows signs that he can still get sad, grow angry, be regretful, and other emotions that people thought he didn't have (thinking he was one sided, and cheery all the time.) It shows how a person can pretend to care for you and immediately become your everything (Namine), and try to change your life. That person tries to make herself seem like she's the only thing that matters, and in turn, forgetting your old friends, and the people that really mattered to you. Again, I'm sure a lot of people have been in situations like this before, and Sora is no different (although his is more adventurous). At one point, he even completely abandons Donald and Goofy, some of his two best friends. Sora learns though that they really are his true friends though, once they come to save him later no matter what, which teaches him to keep your good friends close, and not let others get in the way. Your friends tend to always know best. In the end, he even learns to forgive, saving Namine by own choice, and hearing her out. He doesn't let his emotions get hold of him.

In Kingdom Hearts II, Sora matures physically and mentally. These changes show in the game, affecting his actions. He shows a sense of empathy towards the Nobodies, wishing he didn't have to strike them down. (This is also shown sometimes in CoM, but KHII more so.) This shows Sora is able to actually think about who his enemies are, instead of just listening to people influencing him. He makes his own opinion on a Nobody or person, and then decides if it's right to fight them. He learns that there's all different kinds of people in the world with different goals. He learns the struggles of people. (Tron, the Nobodies, the Final Fantasy characters wanting to go home.) Sora learns a lot.

To say Sora shows no character development astounds me. He learns a lot about how to act, and what to do when situations arise. He learns a lot about his own emotions and how he affects people around him. And, this doesn't all happen at once: he develops through the series as a whole.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards

In Kingdom Hearts, Sora is just a simple islander who has a crush on Kairi and a rivalry with Riku. Although the pair are friends, Sora seems to show some animosity towards him. He's bigger, stronger, seems more skilled in everything, and he teases about sharing a
Paopu fruit with Kairi. He's just a young kid experiencing childish emotions. However, when the island falls apart, Riku leaves, and a Keyblade is placed in Sora's hand; he gains a new sense of responsibility and emotional depth to him, realizing what in his life matters to him, and what he needs to do to protect it.

As he journeys throughout the worlds, he realizes what true friendship is all about, what it's like to see a loved one change, and what it's like to be separated from a loved on all the same. He wants Kairi and Riku to be back, and he wants to change Riku back to his old self (void from darkness). Think of it as an older brother growing up and changing for the worst. That's Riku to Sora, and Kingdom Hearts shows how he deals with this, and how he tries to change him back. However, it also teaches how you cannot always change people, and Sora learns this first hand. Through this, he meets new friends who he can relate with: which is another aspect of life that a lot of us have to deal with. Sora is no different, and it shows in his character development.

In Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, it shows a new side to Sora. It shows how he matured a little (puberty voice :p) from the past game. As he ventures through Castle Oblivion, he loses his memories. As he loses his memories, new ones are shown through his actions and the way he deals with them. Sora shows signs that he can still get sad, grow angry, be regretful, and other emotions that people thought he didn't have (thinking he was one sided, and cheery all the time.) It shows how a person can pretend to care for you and immediately become your everything (Namine), and try to change your life. That person tries to make herself seem like she's the only thing that matters, and in turn, forgetting your old friends, and the people that really mattered to you. Again, I'm sure a lot of people have been in situations like this before, and Sora is no different (although his is more adventurous). At one point, he even completely abandons Donald and Goofy, some of his two best friends. Sora learns though that they really are his true friends though, once they come to save him later no matter what, which teaches him to keep your good friends close, and not let others get in the way. Your friends tend to always know best. In the end, he even learns to forgive, saving Namine by own choice, and hearing her out. He doesn't let his emotions get hold of him.

In Kingdom Hearts II, Sora matures physically and mentally. These changes show in the game, affecting his actions. He shows a sense of empathy towards the Nobodies, wishing he didn't have to strike them down. (This is also shown sometimes in CoM, but KHII more so.) This shows Sora is able to actually think about who his enemies are, instead of just listening to people influencing him. He makes his own opinion on a Nobody or person, and then decides if it's right to fight them. He learns that there's all different kinds of people in the world with different goals. He learns the struggles of people. (Tron, the Nobodies, the Final Fantasy characters wanting to go home.) Sora learns a lot.

To say Sora shows no character development astounds me. He learns a lot about how to act, and what to do when situations arise. He learns a lot about his own emotions and how he affects people around him. And, this doesn't all happen at once: he develops through the series as a whole.
I think this should end the topic.

The14thMusician

Website
soraclaws.deviantart.com

Yes, yes, and yes. I definitely believe this sums up pretty much most of it.

PaopuMemories

I think it's true that not all books/movies/games have to have amazing character development for people to love them. And that realistically Sora is 14/15 and I was personally not a very in-depth person at those ages. But I don't think these games would have such a resonating effect with so many people all over the world if Sora was just a one-sided character. His growth as a person (video game person?) is what pulls at my heart. Kairi did say, "don't ever change", but the core of Sora didn't change, just how he reacted to and handled situations. IMO. Also, I agree with UnlockedMemories, hahaha

aliceburgundy

I find Sora more naive than a costantly happy-go-lucky character. That's okay in the beginning, but throughout the entire series it feels as if he's always in the dark about everything; his character never grows any wiser of his true ideals, and only ever worries for his friends. It's a nice trait to have, but I prefer when there's a little darkness to a character, or some real development - which is probably why Riku is my favourite character.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I don't know what you guys are talking about, but the post really was fully of contradictions and doesn't /thread this.

UnlockedMemories

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but the post really was fully of contradictions and doesn't /thread this.

I wish I could understand why your opinion is that way, instead of just stating it without giving evidence.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
the major developments of Sora started from KH1 and ended at Re:CoM. And i agree that his character is mostly left in the dark, but i just don't understand why he became so naive and whiny in KH2. He didn't question anything. Everyone was planning and plotting and Sora was just busting in without a solid idea of what and how things should be done. It would have been better if Sora showed more maturity like Roxas...

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
I thought Sora character's development was going well at first. He was pretty naive at first, but CoM shows signs of maturity. I blame KH2's poor writing for Sora becoming so naive and whiny after he woke up.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I thought Sora character's development was going well at first. He was pretty naive at first, but CoM shows signs of maturity. I blame KH2's poor writing for Sora becoming so naive and whiny after he woke up.

DiZ fed him copious amounts of Valium and LSD cocktails to keep him sedated and sleeping. That can explain KH II away. :D

heartlessgrl2

well he lacks development because a number of reasons being that he doesnt ever really change like the others i mean his attitude has been the sam except he relizes whats going on his close are really the only thing that looks diffrent on him in kh2 and square enix even said that at first sora wasnt going to be the main charecter but they changed that and edited his look completley but running out of ideas they made him up of every ff charecter and so when they tried to mature him they didnt really have a bias of what he would look like scence he was from every male ff charecter

yomitchymitch

Sora has shown some development, not much but some. Nothing like Riku though. But then again, Riku has gone through a lot more, and his goals have changed from finding Kairi, To capturing Roxas, then to protecting Sora. Riku has gone through different situations then Sora has. Sora's goal has always been to find his friends, and to help anyone he could. Sora and Riku are not the same, or equal for that matter, at all. So it isn't exactly fair to compare the two.
But I still believe he has shown some growth since KH1. But that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back