• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora's Character Development or Lack of Apparently?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Sora hasn't changed at all, not because it is supposed to be like that, that is BS.

How should he have changed, while keeping his innocence?

His contribution to sending hearts to KH should have at least effected him, but he is like "oshi, that sucks. owell I do it anyway" he doesn't even contemplate if he should be doing what he does anymore. I wanted to see him get torn over this decision, so we can fcuking learn about the character lol it really is ridiculous to me.

You did learn about him. Sora is someone who isn't affected by that sort of thing, because he knows he is strong enough to beat the bad guys in the end anyway.

Why are you giving me your definition of development? You can't "define" it because it is very situational and depends on the character. Sora is just fcuking perfect lol, not making many and not learning from the few mistakes he does make.

I gave the definition because you kept comparing Riku's development arc to Sora's, when Sora could never have an arc like that because he has never been cast as an antagonist.

Why? Why is developing the main character bad for the series? I think it would add nostalgia in a case you go back to Sora's previous self and think: "God I miss this guy."

I'm not saying it would be bad for any series, I am simply giving the reason why they haven't developed him in this one. And I don't think I want to play a game where I hate the main character so much I wish he would go back to how he was :x

Plus Sora's job isn't nostalgia as much lol that is all disney and FF

You see the Disney and FF through Sora's eyes, you experience it through his reactions to it.

Who said he didn't have to be all of that? I'm just saying, staying EXACTLY the same for more than one game is generic. At least with Riku we see some dark horse comics shit, Sora is just the same, and kind of feels empty when you look past everything.

You're comparing Sora and Riku again. You can't compare a reformed villain to a hero-from-the-start.

Sora doesn't do it alone lol remember that. It seems like most fans do.

I... know that? But if he wasn't who he is, then he wouldn't have had the friends who helped him, or the strength to help them. I'm translating Riku's CoM novel at the moment and he keeps angsting about why he's all alone, and it's because he threw everyone away for the darkness. Sora never did that, Sora's always stuck by his friends and believed in their power and that is why he has been able to save the universe.

He is the boy who can 'connect his heart to anyone' which has nothing to do with anything. Why does it sound like you think that developing a character means changing him completely? That isn't what I am trying to say. But really, if that is all there is to Sora then he isn't much of a character.

Yes, it does have to do with it. If he wasn't a cheerful kid who believed in the good in people's hearts and believed he could help anyone, then he wouldn't be the boy who could connect his heart to anyone. It's Sora's nature that allows this.

All I am saying is that Sora doesn't change for a reason; his nature is what makes him special. The fact that he doesn't change makes him special. Even when everyone else around him are falling to the darkness it doesn't change him, and he becomes their light. Why do you think Riku worked so hard for him? It's kind of important.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Yes, it does have to do with it. If he wasn't a cheerful kid who believed in the good in people's hearts and believed he could help anyone, then he wouldn't be the boy who could connect his heart to anyone. It's Sora's nature that allows this.

All I am saying is that Sora doesn't change for a reason; his nature is what makes him special. The fact that he doesn't change makes him special. Even when everyone else around him are falling to the darkness it doesn't change him, and he becomes their light. Why do you think Riku worked so hard for him? It's kind of important.
idk. i agree that sora's cheerfullness and unmovable strust for his friends is a good trait of sora. but i don't think that's reason enough ot keep sora the way he is.

there are other ways to make sora the same type while still getting further developed. he needs more little tiny pieces that can make us relate to him though. in kh1 and COM it did a great job. inkh2 they tried to change him while still keeping his nature and it's like you said they haven't given a reason to sora why he should change, yet they tried inkh2. it didn't work out.

~JD~

Sora is, was, and im 99.9% sure will always be, just be some goofy looking kid with a big heart. But i dont blame him for not changing between kh1 and 2 since he slept so long only his physical body would really grow, he didnt have time to change. So maybe he will get character devolopment in the future, but i doubt it =P Then it just wouldn't be sora :3

Allister Rose

French Lover
Sora is, was, and im 99.9% sure will always be, just be some goofy looking kid with a big heart. But i dont blame him for not changing between kh1 and 2 since he slept so long only his physical body would really grow, he didnt have time to change. So maybe he will get character devolopment in the future, but i doubt it =P Then it just wouldn't be sora :3
actually i think it's the opposite, sora was gradually changing in COM, but in kh2 they tried to mix kh1 with a darker version of kh2, which wasn't muchof an attempt. i blame nojima

Roxas891011V

i wish sora were more angsty he'd be a better character

How the hell does that make Sora a better character?

Sora needs to show a bit more of "negative" emotions (anger, sadness, etc.). but only a bit.

I don't really think so nothing they could do would really make him angry just more determined. Now sad they could do but I am not sure what they could really do there.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
His contribution to sending hearts to KH should have at least effected him, but he is like "oshi, that sucks. owell I do it anyway" he doesn't even contemplate if he should be doing what he does anymore. I wanted to see him get torn over this decision, so we can fcuking learn about the character lol it really is ridiculous to me. Besides, Riku had good intentions, yet he actually got developed due to the road he chose to take.

You're shitting me right? He WAS torn in that decision. He had a breakdown and didn't fight anymore (true, it was very short, but it still happened). It was bad enough that MALEFICENT had to step in and save his ass. Only after that he decided he still needed to kick some heartless ass along the way because of the victims they could cause. And he definetly knew that it would only help Xemnas' plan. That choice was a no-win situation. He took the middle road. He fights Heartless and it is at that point that he gets serious about finding out where their base is so he can stop them.

And Riku did develop, but hell that he had good intentions. He still left the Islands through the powers of Darkness without even thinking about taking his oh so precious friends with him and doomed the place. He sides with bad people and kidnaps people before even knowing he needed them to restore Kairi. And at different points he attacked (directly or by sicking Heartless at him) Sora for no good reason at all. If you call those good intentions, I'd suggest thinking about it again.
Suffering does not equal character development. It can lead to it, but it is NOT the only way nor is it a surefireway to get development.

Sora's characterisation mirrors that of a Mickey Mouse. They're basically the same person, minus some IQ points. That's what the developers were getting at and it would be stupid to change it. Whenever you think of Mickey, you're supposed to think of a person that you can trust and who'll be there to help you whatever happens and in turn has faith in you. A true friend. (disregarding his earlier non-developed more jerkassy cartoons)
True, having two of those can be a little much. But up until now Mickey hasn't appeared all that much anyway.

I don't really think so nothing they could do would really make him angry just more determined. Now sad they could do but I am not sure what they could really do there.

It doesn't. Some people like their characters, others do not. For the most part it's a leftover from late '80s-'90s storytelling.
Some don't like the type of character Sora is anymore. But angsty characters have worn out their welcome too. Plenty of people are sick of them just the same as the archetypal good hero.

Sora does show negative emotions. Whenever a villains does something bad, he gets angry. He gets sad when thinking about his friends. etc

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
You're shitting me right? He WAS torn in that decision. He had a breakdown and didn't fight anymore (true, it was very short, but it still happened). It was bad enough that MALEFICENT had to step in and save his ass. Only after that he decided he still needed to kick some heartless ass along the way because of the victims they could cause. And he definetly knew that it would only help Xemnas' plan. That choice was a no-win situation. He took the middle road. He fights Heartless and it is at that point that he gets serious about finding out where their base is so he can stop them.

He was torn alright lol for like 5 minutes. Even so that didn't add shit to the character, except for a trait we already knew.

you said:
And Riku did develop, but hell that he had good intentions. He still left the Islands through the powers of Darkness without even thinking about taking his oh so precious friends with him and doomed the place. He sides with bad people and kidnaps people before even knowing he needed them to restore Kairi. And at different points he attacked (directly or by sicking Heartless at him) Sora for no good reason at all. If you call those good intentions, I'd suggest thinking about it again.
Suffering does not equal character development. It can lead to it, but it is NOT the only way nor is it a surefireway to get development.

I beg to differ. He did have good intentions, he wanted to give Kairi her heart back, and he chose to use the darkness to do it. Whether or not YOU think that is good doesn't hold shit with me.

you said:
Sora's characterisation mirrors that of a Mickey Mouse. They're basically the same person, minus some IQ points. That's what the developers were getting at and it would be stupid to change it. Whenever you think of Mickey, you're supposed to think of a person that you can trust and who'll be there to help you whatever happens and in turn has faith in you. A true friend. (disregarding his earlier non-developed more jerkassy cartoons)
True, having two of those can be a little much. But up until now Mickey hasn't appeared all that much anyway.

Not even. His design mirrors Mickey mouse, that is what you are going for. Him being Mickey Mouse still doesn't make up for him being a poorly developed character. And why do you think that Sora has to change completely? I'm just saying that he needs some fucking conflict with himself. The only time I have seen that with Sora is in COM, where he actually leaves his friends for a girl he thinks he knows, and when his best friend suddenly hates him for no reason, and he has to keep fighting him, and him dealing with losing his memories. All this changed Sora's mindset when he found out that Namine wasn't who he thought he was, he still wanted to be her friend. To me THAT is what brought out Sora's character to me.

Not all the generic bullshit he did in KH2.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
He was torn alright lol for like 5 minutes. Even so that didn't add shit to the character, except for a trait we already knew.
Oh noes! He was only torn for 5 minutes! He needs to keep bitching about it for the entire game!

I'd rather have him make up his mind than spend the rest of the game wangsting about it. That was a war on small scale in that game. You know what happens in a war? People make decisions and stick with it because they can't afford to think they're making the wrong choice. Thinking like that is what makes you drop your guard and that's when shit goes to hell. Considering the extent to which things constantly go to shit in the KH verse, that's not really an optimal course.

I beg to differ. He did have good intentions, he wanted to give Kairi her heart back, and he chose to use the darkness to do it. Whether or not YOU think that is good doesn't hold shit with me.

I beg to differ again. He kidnapped people for Maleficent BEFORE they found Kairi and had to get her heart back. Using darkness was a choice he made before that as well.

Riku's intentions during the first game were nothing but selfish. Only after KH1 were his actions for good. He struggles and he has a hard time, but it's because of his own actions. I can't feel compassion for someone who willingly makes idiot decisions.

Last edited:

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I beg to differ again. He kidnapped people for Maleficent BEFORE they found Kairi and had to get her heart back. Using darkness was a choice he made before that as well.

Riku's intentions during the first game were nothing but selfish.

Of course they were, because he was with maleficent. I'm talking about when he actually found Kairi and did what he did to get her heart back for him, and he thought for Sora.

Plus you know how maleficent is, lying to people n shit

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
tank you! finally someone sees the truth
idk, i wouldn't mind, but they haven't done a good job with his depressed and angry self. it just doesn't look real most of the time
iqhte9.jpg

Tatsu

A lot of Sora's friends are very emo. He knows that if he does not stay his light hearted self a lot of his friends are going to commit suicide.

Tatsu

I agree. Layle is the best FF male character ever. Better than Cloud, Tidus, Vaan, and even Squall. The only one to come second is Zack.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
In the first game and CoM sora was great and he developed atleast a bit but in the second game he wasn't as good. I blame bad writing, he let go of everything verry quickly and most people didn't really cared much for him (with caring I meen he was not intressting), instead we cared for the rest of the world like Riku, organisation XIII, even cloud was more intressting to me.
this have been said a lot I think

in the end I like Sora and I hope he stay more or less like he is but better writing to make things short

Allister Rose

French Lover
Sora can change hsi view on things and still keep his personality. but in kh1 and COM he was far more vulnerable, and that's what i liked about him. in kh2, he was just this unstopable teen who got angry but then randomly lets it go

Roxas891011V

Sora can change hsi view on things and still keep his personality. but in kh1 and COM he was far more vulnerable, and that's what i liked about him. in kh2, he was just this unstopable teen who got angry but then randomly lets it go

But what's wrong with that, I mean I can relate to him by letting things go like that. Thus making it realistic in my eyes. If anyone says it isn't realistic or human enough for Sora to act this way then you shouldn't be playing a game with talking anthropomorphic animals.

And I don't understand why people don't like a character who tries to brighten up their friends spirits and bring them hope because everyone needs someone like that.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
But what's wrong with that, I mean I can relate to him by letting things go like that. Thus making it realistic in my eyes. If anyone says it isn't realistic or human enough for Sora to act this way then you shouldn't be playing a game with talking anthropomorphic animals.

And I don't understand why people don't like a character who tries to brighten up their friends spirits and bring them hope because everyone needs someone like that.
Cause jerks like emos. (Sora rules.)

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
In the first game and CoM sora was great and he developed atleast a bit but in the second game he wasn't as good. I blame bad writing, he let go of everything verry quickly and most people didn't really cared much for him (with caring I meen he was not intressting), instead we cared for the rest of the world like Riku, organisation XIII, even cloud was more intressting to me.
this have been said a lot I think

in the end I like Sora and I hope he stay more or less like he is but better writing to make things short

He has a point here. The last game that featured Sora as main character (virtual sora aside) was KH2. The writing for that game was not up to par (understatement) compared with KH1 and CoM.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

this is also what I ment but like I said, bad writing on squares part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back