• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Square Enix Reveals TGS 2012 Lineup!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Even though we still dont have FFV13 dont forget we always have the beauty of SOMNUS haha

IMO Square Enix will either make or break themselves in the next 2-3 years.

I also feel like SE should move back to being that RPG powerhouse and release a Chrono 3, FFV13, KH3, maybe pick up some dead franchises that fans desperattly want to see again like Suikoden and Legends of Dragoon.
This of coarse is just an Idea (FAR FETCHED at that) but if they did this theyd be a respected company again as we remember them as, but I honestly dont think its can even possibly happen...
I think that Highly Enhanced graphics killed the classic RPG.
Despite of that I really liked FF10, 12, and 13 and no matter what Ill be there with Square ha

I would say differently. You're argument could easily go back to PS1 era, where then-classic RPG was dying. Meanwhile, the only crime next-gen graphics is doing is removing visual creativity in favor of lifelike visuals that just so happen to be fantasy. this has the double-edged sword of showing the limitations of the systems more easily than say FFXIII *AND* creating unfair expectations as to how all games should look. Example: Idiots who think the Simpsons game has bad graphics. Do you really see the show looking that much different?

LMNOP

Isn't the reason they're dead because there wasn't that many fans who bought the games or something?

Legends of Dragoon has a cult following and there fans want that game to be remade there like a littely less annoying fan who complains about FF7 not being remade yet.
Suikoden was actually pretty big so Im not sure why they stopped making those games I think most fans were disappointed by the fourth game though

Also my definiton of a classic RPG would be games like FF1-9 and Chrono Cross. Though Discs can know hold more information the graphics take allot of that space up not allowing for long games like those previoussly mentioned games that werent souly dependent on graphics. So thats what I meant by there no longer being classic RPG's anymore to me. Many other ofcoarse would disagree with me though. Im not sure if this post entirelly gets my point across so if your confused Ill gladly try to explain it more thoroughly(Thats spelled wrong haha) just ask.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
Legends of Dragoon has a cult following and there fans want that game to be remade there like a littely less annoying fan who complains about FF7 not being remade yet.
Suikoden was actually pretty big so Im not sure why they stopped making those games I think most fans were disappointed by the fourth game though

Also my definiton of a classic RPG would be games like FF1-9 and Chrono Cross. Though Discs can know hold more information the graphics take allot of that space up not allowing for long games like those previoussly mentioned games that werent souly dependent on graphics. So thats what I meant by there no longer being classic RPG's anymore to me. Many other ofcoarse would disagree with me though. Im not sure if this post entirelly gets my point across so if your confused Ill gladly try to explain it more thoroughly(Thats spelled wrong haha) just ask.

I'm with you on this one, but the problem is we're having the wrong perception of fan demands. You go on the internet and see people like us demanding for them to return to their roots and revive dead franchises, and it seems like there's a huge demand for it since you see so much of it on the internet. The problem is that the actual majority of gamers couldn't care less about anything reminiscent of classic rpgs. They don't like turn-based battling or the medieval settings that the old Final Fantasies used to take place in. They're not really voicing their opinions the way we are, so it's hard to notice, but if Square did make a Chrono 3, or if Final Fantasy XV were to be something similar to what Final Fantasy IX was, those games would have a cult following, but it wouldn't be an economical decision for SE. It really sucks, but that's just the reality of it.

Zul

Awards
I'm with you on this one, but the problem is we're having the wrong perception of fan demands. You go on the internet and see people like us demanding for them to return to their roots and revive dead franchises, and it seems like there's a huge demand for it since you see so much of it on the internet. The problem is that the actual majority of gamers couldn't care less about anything reminiscent of classic rpgs. They don't like turn-based battling or the medieval settings that the old Final Fantasies used to take place in. They're not really voicing their opinions the way we are, so it's hard to notice, but if Square did make a Chrono 3, or if Final Fantasy XV were to be something similar to what Final Fantasy IX was, those games would have a cult following, but it wouldn't be an economical decision for SE. It really sucks, but that's just the reality of it.

Of all the posters to not make nostalgia-infested posts, his name happens to be..well..Nostalgia.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
In all fairness, I did say at the beginning that I agree with the idea of SE going back to its roots. I'd be happy if games just improved their graphics and technical features over time and left the gameplay mechanics intact, but I also realize that the general consensus is that games need to keep reinventing themselves over time in order to maintain interest for most people.

I think a happy medium is that a particular series should remain true to what it always has been, but new IPs should be the innovative ones. The actual developers wouldn't like that approach because it would involve more work for them and it wouldn't necessarily be more profitable. It's a lot easier for SE to make a 3rd FFXIII game than it is to start from the ground up and do something entirely new in lieu of it.

To avoid sounding contradictory to my first point with the second one, what I mean is that I'm not satisfied with what the FF series has become over the last few years, and for all the innovative changes they've made to that formula, I think they could've started a new RPG series to utilize those while keeping FF XI, XII, and XIII within more familiar styles of gameplay and story-telling. But again, it creates more work for them, so it's easy to understand why that's not an option. It' s a lot easier to market a new FF game that draws people in with the recognized name and keeps them interested with the fancy new features than it is to start from scratch.

Last edited:

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
Well that's what we have games like Final Fantasy Dimensions and The 4 Heroes of Light for.

And for the numbered series to stop being innovative and default to doing safe things is pretty much what will kill it.

Zul

Awards
Yeah, you do have to understand that the mentality that brought FF10 and onward is the same that brought FF1, that is the desire to innovate. I'm kind of right along your track here Nostalgia, I also don't really like a lot of the newer FF games, but I realize that's a matter of personal preference in that I like games focusing on exploration, rather than an objective flaw with the product. I think the worst decision square can make in the long run is replace a hypothetical FF 15 with "Re:FF7".

I don't really get some earlier posts(they're in the FF section) that stated that 13-2 and 13-3 are avoiding new ideas when they've already brought changes into 13-2 and are going to bring even more into 13-3. FF13-2 changed more from FF13 than X-2 did from X imo, and ff13-3 is trying even bigger changes.

A little off-track but I think this is one of the good qualities that both Blizzard and Square share, Blizzard will never go open Vanilla servers for WoW, and Square, hopefully, will never resort to diverting resources just to remaking old games.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
I also feel like SE should […] maybe pick up some dead franchises that fans desperattly want to see again like Suikoden and Legends of Dragoon.
what
2wegcop.jpg

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Even though we still dont have FFV13 dont forget we always have the beauty of SOMNUS haha

IMO Square Enix will either make or break themselves in the next 2-3 years.

I also feel like SE should move back to being that RPG powerhouse and release a Chrono 3, FFV13, KH3, maybe pick up some dead franchises that fans desperattly want to see again like Suikoden and Legends of Dragoon.
This of coarse is just an Idea (FAR FETCHED at that) but if they did this theyd be a respected company again as we remember them as, but I honestly dont think its can even possibly happen...
I think that Highly Enhanced graphics killed the classic RPG.
Despite of that I really liked FF10, 12, and 13 and no matter what Ill be there with Square ha

I feel it relevant to point out that Legend of Dragoon and Suikoden are not Square-Enix properties (they're a sony and konami game franchise, respectively). Take your complaints up with them if you miss them.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
There was another Suikoden game "Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki" for PSP rather recently, but Konami isn't localizing it.

As far as Legend of the Dragoon goes, a remake would be nice because they might be able to remake it into a good game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back