• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Super Mario RPG

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Is anyone else around here as excited for this remake as I am?

If you never played the original, I would highly recommend it to any Kingdom Hearts fan. In various ways, I see this game as a precursor to KH. Not only was it also developed by Square as a sort of spiritual crossover with Final Fantasy, but it was also scored by none other than Yoko Shimomura long before she composed for KH. (She even credits this game for launching her career.)

The story is a lot simpler in comparison to KH and FF, but for the time it was the most narrative driven Mario game out there. It is full of whimsy and humor with colorful cast of characters and a lot of heart. For me, it was the first game with a story that I really got invested in as a kid.

From a gameplay perspective, it is a pretty straightforward turn based game. It was never particularly difficult, but it didn’t really need to be. I’m excited though that the remake is introducing rematches with juiced up versions of the bosses. Don’t go into it expecting anything to challenging, but it is still a lot of fun. Especially with the lore platforming, puzzles, etc. outside of battle.

If you like KH, Mario, FF, and turn based RPGs, give this game a chance. There’s a reason (or several) it is considered one of the most iconic RPGs of all time.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Absolutely I'm excited. I grew up with Geno and Mallow. It's an excellent RPG with a nice and touching story. It's fun as hell to play. Extremely looking forward to it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Mallow>Geno. Yeah I said it, Geno's overrated AF.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m glad we can switch between the old and new soundtracks. The new one sounds great, but the original has a special place in my heart. I’ll probably play through twice to hear each one.

Found a video with footage I hadn’t seen yet. I think it is compiled from the JP website. (Keep in mind the music was overlaid by the person who posted these and is not from the game.)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
First of all, how dare you
Geno's a boring, personality devoid hunk of tree bark. His only real purpose to the story is to deliver a single scene of exposition that could've just as well been given by a npc.

Mallow on the other hand is not only the first party member to join Mario, he has way more personality, and an actual arc that develops over the course of the game. Clearly the superior SMRPG character.

And let's be real. Mallow would be way better in SSB too. Stretchy arms, sticks, cymbals, lightning, tornadoes, blizzards, he can detach hisntop and bottom halves to become a one man Ice Climbers. And he can read minds, like how cool would that be, seeing the inner thoughts of every fighter?

Meanwhile what's Geno going to do? Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more? He deserves to be a mii gunner.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Look, I like Mallow. For all the shit people give him about being a crybaby, he cries like, what, a grand total of three times? But I love Geno. It might be pure nostalgia, but just seeing this star descend to the world of the living possess a doll, speaking in some weird symbol tongue, was so awesome to me back when I first played it on the SNES. He as also an S rank party member, it was great.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I still have my original copy and SNES that my dad got used from a pawn shop with a bunch of other games. My parents were divorced and I had a PlayStation at my mom’s. He knew nothing about video games, but wanted me to have a game console at his place too. Little did he know this game was in that stack and it would turn me into a huge nerd. 😅

An overview video was posted early for Japan. It shows a lot, so if you want to let some enemy designs and recreated moments be a surprise, you may want to hold off. There’s also a tv spot floating around that confirms a certain super boss is making a return.

Some additional details shared by Stealth:

- You can swap party members mid battle
- New music menu
- New bestiary
- Culex returns, but Nintendo teases something else.

Very curious to see what the something else is. A new secret boss? Or maybe Culex will finally achieve a 3D form and we’ll have an even harder rematch.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Here’s a good chunk of English footage! Shows a lot from the first part of the game going a bit past getting the first star piece.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Here’s a good chunk of English footage! Shows a lot from the first part of the game going a bit past getting the first star piece.

"Claymorton". Well that'll take getting used to. Like I knew Mack the Knife was probably not gonna fly in 2023, but they could've gone with Jack the Knife instead. Jack knives are a thing.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
"Claymorton". Well that'll take getting used to. Like I knew Mack the Knife was probably not gonna fly in 2023, but they could've gone with Jack the Knife instead. Jack knives are a thing.

Yeah that stuck out to me too. Yaridovich is also now Speardovich(spelling?) but I think this is a more accurate translation of the original Japanese version and acknowledges the weapon pun. I wonder if Claymorton is also more in line the Japanese text.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah that stuck out to me too. Yaridovich is also now Speardovich(spelling?) but I think this is a more accurate translation of the original Japanese version and acknowledges the weapon pun. I wonder if Claymorton is also more in line the Japanese text.
Well his Japanese name is based on sword, not knife. Of course we also got Exor for a sword themed Smithy Gang member so that feels a bit redundant. Speaking of redundant, I can't read Claymorton without thinking Morton Koopa Jr.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The prequel to Link's Awakening: Link's a'Sleeping.
6we9zhN.png

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Turns out the game is developed by ArtePiazza who has made several Dragon Quests ports and remakes, as well as the DQXI 2D mode. They aren’t part of SE, but obviously have a close relationship.

Choosing this developer may have helped get Square Enix on board with the remake.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Woo, good thing Luminary! I had thought this would be a impossible remake, and here I am waiting for release day + Amazon to deliver. (I don't pay extra usually to get them on release day.)

I knew since Square helped with this one the first time, they'd have to be involved in some way this time.

Back