• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do you Think about Xion?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davrax

Xion's character is a little confusing at times and i dont really understand the point of creating her if shes just gonna die and be forgotten at the end of the game and if they do bring her back in later games what would she even do?

If she comes back I imagine it'll be in the end cutscene or something.
As much as I love Xion I think her usefulness in the plot has expired, she's better off just coming back at the very end and getting a chance to finally live.
That would make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Lavender13

Xion is a decent character, but i felt she could've been more. unfortunately she was no aqua, a character that akes up the story, rather just being mostly plot device. constantly running away and fainting was irritating, i would've liked if she did more action against the organization than against roxas and axel

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
As much as I love Xion I think her usefulness in the plot has expired

Coded/Re:Coded says otherwise. Just like how Namine's plot usefulness only became clear AFTER CoM.

Xion is a decent character, but i felt she could've been more. unfortunately she was no aqua, a character that akes up the story

Aqua had barely any story to call her own. She was basically chasing Terra and Ven through her entire scenario.

i would've liked if she did more action against the organization than against roxas and axel

They did that with Repliku in CoM.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Coded/Re:Coded says otherwise. Just like how Namine's plot usefulness only became clear AFTER CoM.
Honestly, Re:Coded doesn't exactly say that she is useful to the plot. It just says that her appearances aren't over.

Aqua had barely any story to call her own. She was basically chasing Terra and Ven through her entire scenario.
BBS was pretty much her story. Just because she was following Terra and Ven doesn't mean she didn't have a story.

Lavender13

They did that with Repliku in CoM.
that's why theres the final chapter and the secret ending heavily revolves around her. so yeah, i would say she has enough, and her ending was some-what less vague than ven's and terra's.

and repliku only did it to marluxia, he didn't seem to target the rest. i just think she could've taken more action, than playing the runaway teenage girl routine

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Honestly, Re:Coded doesn't exactly say that she is useful to the plot. It just says that her appearances aren't over.

I actually think it's the other way around since even without appearing, things happen that were caused by her.

BBS was pretty much her story. Just because she was following Terra and Ven doesn't mean she didn't have a story.

What bugs me about this is what always bugged me about Sora as well. Sora's story? Right; KH1 was basically him responding to what Riku did and chasing him. Only because of BBS's wider-spread plot, Aqua had less of Terra and Ven to respond to, making her seem more detached than KH1 Sora to me.

that's why theres the final chapter and the secret ending heavily revolves around her. so yeah, i would say she has enough, and her ending was some-what less vague than ven's and terra's.

The endings weren't quite vague in my book D: and she still didn't have a story seeing how short the final chapter was.
Also, the secret ending was more about Sora than Aqua o_o Aqua was the device through which Sora's future role was presented but it's not like she did too much.

and repliku only did it to marluxia, he didn't seem to target the rest. i just think she could've taken more action, than playing the runaway teenage girl routine

He was basically at odds ends with everyone else in the Organization. He was a brat and he also "ate" Zexion.
Xion ran away because she didn't know what to do and didn't want to hurt her friends while she took her time figuring it out.
If running away from the Organization, hacking into their computer, investigating CO on her own and then manning up to face Roxas and fight Axel isn't taking action, I really don't know what else she could've done.

Lavender13

The endings weren't quite vague in my book D: and she still didn't have a story seeing how short the final chapter was.
Also, the secret ending was more about Sora than Aqua o_o Aqua was the device through which Sora's future role was presented but it's not like she did too much.
i said some-what less vague, but still vague. And she did have a story, sure, her job was to look out for the 2, but she played her role. in the end she defeated both of them, but caused the events we see now.

He was basically at odds ends with everyone else in the Organization. He was a brat and he also "ate" Zexion.
Xion ran away because she didn't know what to do and didn't want to hurt her friends while she took her time figuring it out.
If running away from the Organization, hacking into their computer, investigating CO on her own and then manning up to face Roxas and fight Axel isn't taking action, I really don't know what else she could've done.
I thought, a good fight between her and Xemnas would be good right before being ordered to fight Roxas

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I thought, a good fight between her and Xemnas would be good right before being ordered to fight Roxas

Setting aside the fact I'm pretty sure she knew Xemnas could off her at will, when was she supposed to do that? When Axel brought her back in passed out and basically broken, or after he gave her a new body at which point she realized that hell, this was the only way to bring an end to everything because they'll just keep chasing her and Roxas until one of them went away?

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I actually think it's the other way around since even without appearing, things happen that were caused by her.
Not really.

What bugs me about this is what always bugged me about Sora as well. Sora's story? Right; KH1 was basically him responding to what Riku did and chasing him. Only because of BBS's wider-spread plot, Aqua had less of Terra and Ven to respond to, making her seem more detached than KH1 Sora to me.
I don't see why her story involving other characters means it isn't hers, too. You want Sora to go on an adventure that has nothing to do with any other character just so he can say it is "his"?

Felt to me to be more about Aqua.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I don't see why her story involving other characters means it isn't hers, too. You want Sora to go on an adventure that has nothing to do with any other character just so he can say it is "his"?

Difference in preferences and semantics. Hard for me to call it "his" or "her" stories when they're that passive. Granted they make decisions and do stuff but they're reacting at best. They're a side in someone else's story.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Difference in preferences and semantics. Hard for me to call it "his" or "her" stories when they're that passive. Granted they make decisions and do stuff but they're reacting at best. They're a side in someone else's story.

Actually...the events that led to Sora's adventures in KH1 were catalysts. Riku's falling into darkness, Kairi's damsel issue, Donald and Goofy looking for the King, etc. All of this propelled Sora forward into the adventure. If anything, everyone else were stepping stones to Sora's adventure. It's Sora's story. Even if he himself was not the one that made him leave the islands in a grand quest someone still did and opened up his journey.

The BBS secret ending in my opinion was focusing a lot on Aqua then transitioned to Sora. Like a shared ending. The only part that was truly for Sora's story seemed to be the end when everyone muttered his name and then they actually had him sitting there with Riku and Kairi. It was a transition of focal points. The beginning was Aqua's being trapped in the RoD for endless hours, meeting Ansem (a character thought dead), getting informed of current events and even receiving the news of Sora benefited Aqua's story development. Giving her a definite place. A sense of where she is in the story. The Sora's mention from Ansem transitioned from a catalyst for aqua to a focal point for Sora. (thats how I see it anyway).

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Actually...the events that led to Sora's adventures in KH1 were catalysts. Riku's falling into darkness, Kairi's damsel issue, Donald and Goofy looking for the King, etc. All of this propelled Sora forward into the adventure. If anything, everyone else were stepping stones to Sora's adventure. It's Sora's story. Even if he himself was not the one that made him leave the islands in a grand quest someone still did and opened up his journey.

But it's not like it was "his" adventure. Riku was still an active force; Donald and Goofy were the ones who dictated how, what, where and when. Sora himself played part in maturing enough to realize that despite never asking for any of that, he had no choice but to fill the role given to him. That's where he falls under "reactive" Hero at best to "passive" hero at worse to "plot victim" at worst for me.
And it's that very same "Sora's the hero, it's his story" attitude that gave us KH2. Sora had so little plot impact and influence. He wasn't even the PRIME objective for the Organization since they deemed him disposable at one point. So, yeah. Kind of hard for me to take the whole "Sora's story" as well as that weird quote about Aqua being the true hero of BBS seriously.
In KH terms it seems to translate to "the one who lives through it" which isn't all that much in my book if they managed to do that simply because they lacked a reason to go away.

The only part that was truly for Sora's story seemed to be the end when everyone muttered his name and then they actually had him sitting there with Riku and Kairi.

And AtW blabbering on and on about him prior.

benefited Aqua's story development. Giving her a definite place. A sense of where she is in the story.

In Sora's story, if anything. Being another person for Sora to save. :\ I'll give her that in that sense she's shaping up Sora's story but HOW she did that doesn't win her no brownie point to me.

tl;dr

(thats how I see it anyway).

Relix

A traveler
Awards
But it's not like it was "his" adventure. Riku was still an active force; Donald and Goofy were the ones who dictated how, what, where and when. Sora himself played part in maturing enough to realize that despite never asking for any of that, he had no choice but to fill the role given to him. That's where he falls under "reactive" Hero at best to "passive" hero at worse to "plot victim" at worst for me.
And it's that very same "Sora's the hero, it's his story" attitude that gave us KH2. Sora had so little plot impact and influence. He wasn't even the PRIME objective for the Organization since they deemed him disposable at one point. So, yeah. Kind of hard for me to take the whole "Sora's story" as well as that weird quote about Aqua being the true hero of BBS seriously.
In KH terms it seems to translate to "the one who lives through it" which isn't all that much in my book if they managed to do that simply because they lacked a reason to go away.

tl;dr

I'm not gonna lie that KH2's chicken sh!t writing was a bad spin on the Sora story take but that is what essentially KH really is: Throwing Sora in the situation, they did it in every game thus far even going as far as connecting all central characters to his heart.

And AtW blabbering on and on about him prior.

Meh he started out comparing Aqua and Sora and then it shifted to just rambling about him.

In Sora's story, if anything. Being another person for Sora to save. :\ I'll give her that in that sense she's shaping up Sora's story but HOW she did that doesn't win her no brownie point to me.

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards
Actually guys, if you look at the basic definition for "active" character vs. "passive" character...Smile's right. Roxas and Sora are passive characters.

It has nothing to do with their strong personalities, which they definitely have, and everything to do with their roles in the story. Technically, an active character causes most of the story to unfold, while a passive character reacts to the way things unfold. And that's exactly what they do. Did Sora cause the islands to be destroyed through his own actions? No, that was Riku. Was it Sora's idea to travel to other worlds and seal the Keyholes? Nope, everyone else told him to do that. I think he does evolve into an active character by the end of the story, in choosing to save Kairi in Hollow Bastion even though his other friends had abandoned him and his Keyblade had been taken away, and choosing to go back to Hollow Bastion and the End of the World to save Riku, but much of what he did in the beginning was a reaction to what other characters were doing. In Chain of Memories...well, it's hard for me to tell. I think he kind of fluctuates. On the one hand, he is getting manipulated by the Organization and Namine, but he also falls into the trap because he willingly chooses to believe the Namine memories and ends up abandoning Donald and Goofy over them. In that game, he often rejects what people tell him to do, such as: letting Axel give him a hint, turning back when his memories start to fade, abandoning Namine and Riku Replica even when he finds out that they're fakes. It's different from KH1 because he keeps struggling to fight whatever role the characters want him to be, and unlike Roxas, he succeeds by defeating Marluxia.

Then in KH2 he went back to being passive, except for some moments here and there.

But I think that's okay; it doesn't change how I feel about Sora's character one bit. It's always been his destiny to help other people with the Keyblade and he's always been the type of character who was willing to do it. And he still finds ways to mesh other people's goals with his own; he'll go fix a world's problems so that he can look for his friends there. He and Aqua are very similar in that respect; they essentially go where they're needed and take it from there. That's their job.

Then we have Roxas. Yes, he wants to be his own person, and yes, he reacts angrily whenever anyone tells him otherwise. He's a great character with a strong personality; he know who he is and he knows what he wants. That doesn't make him an active character. He only reacts to the weird things happening around him. He fights Axel and demands answers because Axel interrupts the fight and starts talking about dragging him off to who-knows-where. He demands answers from Namine because she keeps popping up out of nowhere, acting cryptic. Roxas just wants a normal life with his friends, and his story only kicks off after someone starts messing with that normal life. He doesn't cause those weird things to happen; he reacts to them.

That being said, I'm still unhappy with how Xion stole the spotlight from him in Days, (see? I can stay on topic! :D) and I do not agree with the idea that she was needed in order to get him to do anything. She wasn't needed to get him to do anything in KH2, and as I pointed out with Sora, just because he's passive in one game does not mean that he has to be passive in every game. There are plenty of ways that he could have been influenced into questioning Organization XIII, the biggest one being Riku. Think about it: Namine finds out that she needs Roxas in order to recover Sora's memories, DiZ tells Riku to do something about it, so he and Roxas fight, but Roxas wins. Then he innocently tells Axel about it and suddenly the Organization gets super-protective of him. Wouldn't he want to know why Riku was trying to capture him? Wouldn't he want to know why the Organization won't tell him anything about this guy? Wouldn't he get suspicious if Axel was deliberately dodging his questions? Not to mention, they could have Riku make some comments about their relationship during said fight that would have Roxas feeling more confused. Even without Riku, he could still observe the friendship between HPO and other Disney characters and compare it to his own relationships with the Org. Nomura could have given one of the members a hidden agenda and let that person "accidentally" tell him about the kind of murderous activities Axel's capable of pulling off when he's not eating ice cream, or about Xemnas' true goals.

See, being "passive" doesn't necessarily indicate that the character just sits around and lets things happen to him. It just means that he's not the one causing those things to happen. Likewise, Roxas isn't the type to sit around and do nothing, and he does fight to remain his own person. It's just that in the end, he's fighting the inevitable.

Whoops, sorry for the wall of text, guys! petebeams

Tatsu

Personally it was all badly executed. Days could've been interesting without her had Nomura spent a little more time developing an actual story around Roxas and the Organization instead of around Xion.

I would've preferred a conspiracy/Bourne Identity type of storyline instead of what we got.

Lavender13

I think Xion kept running away too much. it owuld've been nice if she stirred up problems within the organization, not when she ran away. I also wanted to see more how the organization interacts with on another on a daily basis, but we hardly see that either.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I also wanted to see more how the organization interacts with on another on a daily basis, but we hardly see that either.

But this is hardly surprising if one considers that this was absolutely not the focal point of the game, as well as Roxas was not the focal point.
The focal point of Days was to cover the time period Roxas spent in the Org XIII/Sora slept and what happened in that period.

Lavender13

But this is hardly surprising if one considers that this was absolutely not the focal point of the game, as well as Roxas was not the focal point.
The focal point of Days was to cover the time period Roxas spent in the Org XIII/Sora slept and what happened in that period.
i know, but it seemed like we could've had more than what we got. days was good, but not one i would be playing again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back