• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What would genuinely surprise you in this entry?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
Legit. I’ve never seen two boys so obvious in my life than in these novels.

In a more serious manner, in a perfect world Sora would definitely just kiss everybody he liked.

I feel like Disney nor Square is really progressive enough to have a canon gay couple, at least at this moment. Square has a hard enough time putting well-written women in games, and Disney barely has any movies without some kind of romance in it.

Also, I feel like this would somehow end up shafting Kairi since Sora and Kairi are the "Disney Couple" of the KH characters, and she's already the third wheel.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I feel like Disney nor Square is really progressive enough to have a canon gay couple, at least at this moment. Square has a hard enough time putting well-written women in games, and Disney barely has any movies without some kind of romance in it.

Also, I feel like this would somehow end up shafting Kairi since Sora and Kairi are the "Disney Couple" of the KH characters, and she's already the third wheel.

I mean..the fact she is the third wheel even though she is supposed to be the love interest sorta explains the problem bluntly lol. Its hard to shaft her when there isn't enough substance to that subplot yet...Like if they want to make them canon, I need some actual scenes with them together instead of just being told they like each other.

But yes, I don't think anyone thinks Square especially would make canon queer protagonists. I definitely see Disney doing it before them at least lol....maybe in the forseeable future. But we shall see. Doesn't effect this situation really tho.

ImVentus

Awards
If there isn't some lovey dovey element to the story. Personally I hope romance stays out of the finale for this saga. Just share a Paopu fruit.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
If there isn't some lovey dovey element to the story. Personally I hope romance stays out of the finale for this saga. Just share a Paopu fruit.

See... I... agh.
The Paopu Fruit IS romance and lovey dovey, gosh darnit. Or at least it was supposed to be.

I'm not angry at you in any way, don't worry, I'm just miffed at the saga for inconsistent writing. This is the retcon that just gets to me, all Xehanorts be damned.

ImVentus

Awards
See... I... agh.
The Paopu Fruit IS romance and lovey dovey, gosh darnit. Or at least it was supposed to be.

I'm not angry at you in any way, don't worry, I'm just miffed at the saga for inconsistent writing. This is the retcon that just gets to me, all Xehanorts be damned.

No you'll haft excuse me!
I should have put it more clear that I meant even sharing a paopu fruit, would be a signal for lovey dovey.
But I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in any romance whatsoever.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I should have put it more clear that I meant even sharing a paopu fruit, would be a signal for lovey dovey.

I wouldn’t mind teasing some romantic chemistry, but I wouldn’t want it to be a focus of any of the plots. I really love the theme of friendship throughout this saga and romance would likely step on that at least some. I’d prefer if they keep the focus on friendship until the end of this game with maybe just enough to foreshadow some more romance in the next saga.

Meow Wow

Awards
A romantic subplot could be cool, if a little cheesy, but hey Kingdom Hearts is a big cheese fest if you think about it. and I love me some cheese

If Sora and Kairi do get together in any way, I think a kiss might be a little too much due to the lack of their relationship being developed very much. Unless they develop the entire relationship within a few worlds.

So speaking of the Paupu...I wonder how many poor kids shared it without any romance or logical thinking involved?

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
I mean..the fact she is the third wheel even though she is supposed to be the love interest sorta explains the problem bluntly lol. Its hard to shaft her when there isn't enough substance to that subplot yet...Like if they want to make them canon, I need some actual scenes with them together instead of just being told they like each other.

You're right, but I don't think ignoring that altogether makes it better. They may not have really touched the Kairi/Sora relationship, or Kairi's character at all, since the end of KH2, but there still was stuff there. They just take for granted that "it's a given" that Sora and Kairi would like each other and don't bother giving it the attention it would need to be a realistic relationship (platonic or not), but they actually take time to develop the relationships between two male characters. In general, the relationships between two male characters are given more attention than most of the boy/girl relationships, and there aren't any girl/girl relationships either.

DDD focused on Riku and Sora's relationship, yet we don't actually see or hear Kairi except for the secret ending, and this is the kind of thing I don't want to happen. They could have put Kairi in the game, and still had the relationship between Riku/Sora that we see as well as relationships between Riku/Kairi and Sora/Kairi or all three. But they didn't.

So speaking of the Paupu...I wonder how many poor kids shared it without any romance or logical thinking involved?

I mean, if they're just living on this one group of islands their whole life, it's not really going to make a difference if their destinies are connected or not.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
You're right, but I don't think ignoring that altogether makes it better. They may not have really touched the Kairi/Sora relationship, or Kairi's character at all, since the end of KH2, but there still was stuff there. They just take for granted that "it's a given" that Sora and Kairi would like each other and don't bother giving it the attention it would need to be a realistic relationship (platonic or not), but they actually take time to develop the relationships between two male characters. In general, the relationships between two male characters are given more attention than most of the boy/girl relationships, and there aren't any girl/girl relationships either.

DDD focused on Riku and Sora's relationship, yet we don't actually see or hear Kairi except for the secret ending, and this is the kind of thing I don't want to happen. They could have put Kairi in the game, and still had the relationship between Riku/Sora that we see as well as relationships between Riku/Kairi and Sora/Kairi or all three. But they didn't.

I mean, if they're just living on this one group of islands their whole life, it's not really going to make a difference if their destinies are connected or not.

Oh yea, I 100% agree. I too am sick of that treatment of the female characters, I guess real-talk, I don't think forcing her to just suddenly be Sora's love interest again in this game would benefit her. I want to see her hang out with him more. And Riku as well since when was the last time those two talked? lol. I also just want her to do a bit more than what I am expecting: which is a twist toward the end. Like she will descend and some pivotal moment and save someone thus showing she has trained this whole time. But like, she will have done nothing the whole game otherwise, which is supposed to be "impressive" lol. Cuz she can fight now? I guess?

This is clear in the way Aqua is treated as well...Ven and Terra like each other way more than her. Even tho she is sorta the main character in that game in the end. They still give her the shaft in regards to her relationship with her friends. So yeah, I guess I want all the platonic development for the ladies. And maybe drop hints at Sokai again if they want and actually treat their relationship better from then on if that's really the route they wanna go.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
If Sora doesn't wake up from this crazy dream. He needs to return to the city of Edge.

shady543

Awards
if the villain won lol.

Also Kairi getting a huge role. Because I'm honestly not expecting much. I'm predicting that the guardians of light will have Aqua be 'the girl of the group', so that's why I'm honestly still not expecting a lot from Kairi. I expect that she will learn to fight and get more involved, but not to the point she becomes major like Sora, Riku, Mickey, Roxas etc. And I'm honestly hoping I'm wrong on this because I do want Kairi to be a guardian of light instead of Axel/Lea who even though I love the guy I really don't think he should be one.
Also Donald and Goofy having a bigger role that isn't 'Sora's friends' and have a major role in the final.

Last edited:

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
Oh yea, I 100% agree. I too am sick of that treatment of the female characters, I guess real-talk, I don't think forcing her to just suddenly be Sora's love interest again in this game would benefit her. I want to see her hang out with him more. And Riku as well since when was the last time those two talked? lol. I also just want her to do a bit more than what I am expecting: which is a twist toward the end. Like she will descend and some pivotal moment and save someone thus showing she has trained this whole time. But like, she will have done nothing the whole game otherwise, which is supposed to be "impressive" lol. Cuz she can fight now? I guess?

I don't think so either, but I had said that I want them to give Kairi screentime and develop her relationships first. I'd honestly prefer if they don't make any couple canon, because Sora/Riku does make more sense and has a large fanbase, but they're obviously not going to do it, and Sora/Kairi would feel forced if they hardly show them together and don't give Kairi much of a presence. Also, I just love the themes of friendship and how it relates to identity (especially with Roxas and Xion), and I can't really relate to any of the romantic stuff.

I definitely want to see more of Kairi/Riku. I actually hadn't expected them to talk to each other in 0.2, and they only spoke like two lines back and forth. I also, kind of want to see Kairi and Ventus become friends? There's more parallels between those two then there was with Aqua and Kairi, and Ven went from being weaker and inexperienced to being strong and self-sacrificial by the end of BBS. I'd like to see them do something like that with Kairi.

This is clear in the way Aqua is treated as well...Ven and Terra like each other way more than her. Even tho she is sorta the main character in that game in the end. They still give her the shaft in regards to her relationship with her friends. So yeah, I guess I want all the platonic development for the ladies.

Yep. Aqua mainly shows up to the worlds after Ven and Terra have left and deals with their messes, and neither Terra nor Ven ever congratulate her, but rather all focus immediately on Terra's loss. Aqua and Eraqus never seem to regard each other as father/daughter but they emphasize Terra seeing Eraqus as his father. Ven mainly reminisces on his relationship with Terra and is focused on him entirely. Yet they get mad at her for being concerned and doing what she was supposed to, even though Ven heard about the "bad" things Terra had done and Aqua defended him the whole time?

Also Kairi getting a huge role. Because I'm honestly not expecting much. I'm predicting that the guardians of light will have Aqua be 'the girl of the group', so that's why I'm honestly still not expecting a lot from Kairi. I expect that she will learn to fight and get more involved, but not to the point she becomes major like Sora, Riku, Mickey, Roxas etc. And I'm honestly hoping I'm wrong on this because I do want Kairi to be a guardian of light instead of Axel/Lea who even though I love the guy I really don't think he should be one.

The bare minimum for Kairi's role is that she should be a Guardian. I feel like if anyone replaced her it would be very insulting, especially after hinting at it in DDD and sending her off to train (with the person who kidnapped her, no less). Not to mention she already had her Keyblade in 2005, and there's been a dozen new Keyblade wielders since then that have done more than her.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Also Kairi getting a huge role. Because I'm honestly not expecting much.

Why are people forgetting that she's training with Lea and Merlin? I get it, she's severely under-developed, but you can't pretend that she's non-existent for this game too. She's training in Radiant Garden, her original home. I can also guarantee that she'll probably be also talking to the other former Organization XIII members like Ienzo and Aeleaus too.

Outside of Sora, Kairi's actually got the most going for her right now in terms of development.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Why are people forgetting that she's training with Lea and Merlin? I get it, she's severely under-developed, but you can't pretend that she's non-existent for this game too. She's training in Radiant Garden, her original home. I can also guarantee that she'll probably be also talking to the other former Organization XIII members like Ienzo and Aeleaus too.

Outside of Sora, Kairi's actually got the most going for her right now in terms of development.

This. Also, people are saying her storyline hasn’t been set up which is incorrect. They’ve been prepping her since KH2 for this when she first used a Keyblade. It’s why they made sure to show she gained the ability to wield from Aqua. Then in DDD, they essentially show her as the secret weapon.

The thing is, I believe Nomura has been planning since KH2 for Kairi to serve a larger role in KH3. But he wanted to save her for that game specifically, which is why she wasn’t involved in DDD until the post-credits scene. I think of it like Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban, where the former was a lot of Harry and Ron while the latter was more Harry and Hermione. KH2 really pushed Sora and Riku in the climax and while KH3 might not do it in the climax, I can see Kairi getting the same level of importance that Riku served in KH2.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

No, really, I got you! I understood you also meant it that way, you didn't need to be clearer.
I was mostly using your post to talk about that topic (somehow phrasing it like that made it worse)

A romantic subplot could be cool, if a little cheesy, but hey Kingdom Hearts is a big cheese fest if you think about it. and I love me some cheese

If Sora and Kairi do get together in any way, I think a kiss might be a little too much due to the lack of their relationship being developed very much. Unless they develop the entire relationship within a few worlds.

I think them kissing is only weird in my mind because I associate that to fan art since forever, so I can't think about it without also thinking about pre-rendered backgrounds and MMD models.
I'm a big boy, I'm okay with the kiss and in the unlikely chance no one saw Aladinn or Little Mermaid I think Ariel/Eric and Aladin/Jasmine didn't have that much more interaction than Sora and Kairi, but I'm also okay with no kiss.
Would be kinda hypocritical on my part, after years of defending their relationship by stating that not everything needs to be all up in your face to be real, to then demand a kiss.

If anything, them living isolated from everything else could've helped the Paopu legend. It's somewhat easier to find and keep a person as your perfect soulmate for life if you're limited in options.
Considering we have yet to see a concrete/magical proof that this bond actually exists, I think the legend about the Paopu started due to some people falling and remaining in love after sharing one.

If Sora doesn't wake up from this crazy dream. He needs to return to the city of Edge.

Oh no man, don't go there.
I swear, if this is all a dream.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
If a Disney character becomes a Xehanort vessel. I’d go with Oswald or a similar character to be a Mickey foil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back