• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will KH3 be playable at E3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Yeah, if there was a new trailer at one event per month, I think that would be enough. So maybe E3, SDCC, Gamescom, TGS, Paris Games Week/PAX Aus, and then it could release in November. Five-six trailers would be more than enough coupled with some social media teasers and magazine features.

I just don’t think it’s necessary to see two-three new full length trailers within a month of each other.

I’d like two-three more world reveal trailers, one or two story trailers, and a final trailer that features quick non-spoiler shots of a bunch of Disney characters and short bits of gameplay from the various worlds, possibly teasing MX for the first time.
I don't think anyone was suggesting two-three new full length trailers within a month of each other.

The schedule probably looks like this:

E3 - Demo / Trailer
SDCC - Demo
Gamescom - Demo / Trailer
PAX West - Demo
TGS - Demo / Trailer
NYCC - Demo
Paris Games Week - Demo / Trailer (opening?)
PAX Aus - Demo

That's four trailers, and the closest would be TGS and PGW since those would be a month apart and TGS needs to have a big blowout for the Japanese market.

There's probably events out there that I have forgotten about, but like the 2.8 demo, this one should be taken around to as many conventions as possible so if OP wants to plan an alternative surprise for his sister's birthday, maybe it could be tickets to a different event (with parental supervision since none of those take place in Los Angeles).

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Yeah, if there was a new trailer at one event per month, I think that would be enough. So maybe E3, SDCC, Gamescom, TGS, Paris Games Week/PAX Aus, and then it could release in November. Five-six trailers would be more than enough coupled with some social media teasers and magazine features.

I just don’t think it’s necessary to see two-three new full length trailers within a month of each other.

I’d like two-three more world reveal trailers, one or two story trailers, and a final trailer that features quick non-spoiler shots of a bunch of Disney characters and short bits of gameplay from the various worlds, possibly teasing MX for the first time.

By any chance, is KH3 the first game whose marketing campaign you've been keeping up with? Because contrary to popular belief, it takes a lot of time and effort to produce trailers, enough to hinder development if they were to do it as frequently as you think they will. Most news will be coming from magazines and articles, not videos.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Once they kick off their marketing campaign, you should expect to see KH3 every month until release. Renders, screenshots and basic plot points for each and every world, with trailers showing even parts of the secret ending.

SE is not going to put KH3 in the backseat just because they have other games releasing. A company can promote more than one game at a time. And if we're lucky, Disney will put a lot of support behind it as well.

Just because they can promote more than one game at a time does not mean KH should be the centerpiece of their promotions when they have two other games releasing 10 days apart months before KH3. It just wouldn’t make sense. Not that we wouldn’t see a new trailer or announcements, but whatever they show doesn’t need to upstage the games that should be their priority. That’s what I mean when I say they should pull back on KH, not that it shouldn’t show up at all.

By any chance, is KH3 the first game whose marketing campaign you've been keeping up with? Because contrary to popular belief, it takes a lot of time and effort to produce trailers, enough to hinder development if they were to do it as frequently as you think they will. Most news will be coming from magazines and articles, not videos.

Where on earth is this coming from? I’m literally saying I want less trailers rather than more. I don’t want to see the whole game before it comes out.

I’m gonna be honest. Every time I post something, it’s like you guys are trying to find something wrong with it, generally twisting my words to do so.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Just because they can promote more than one game at a time does not mean KH should be the centerpiece of their promotions when they have two other games releasing 10 days apart months before KH3. It just wouldn’t make sense. Not that we wouldn’t see a new trailer or announcements, but whatever they show doesn’t need to upstage the games that should be their priority. That’s what I mean when I say they should pull back on KH, not that it shouldn’t show up at all.
I don't understand why KH can't be promoted alongside them? If anything, it's Dragon Quest that is going to be put onto the back burner and we already know when and where Tomb Raider will be shown. Square Enix is more than capable of holding up their 2018 catalogue of games and promoting them together.

Sign is right, in previous years magazines have provided a lot of information in the lead up to the games. We get renders and interviews aplenty from Famitsu and Dengeki so even if they aren't pushing anything big, there are still the smaller publications pushing out promotions.

We've followed KH and the marketing cycles for the games for over 10 years now. It's clear as day what Square Enix will do and how they will do it.

Where on earth is this coming from? I’m literally saying I want less trailers rather than more. I don’t want to see the whole game before it comes out.
You don't have to see the whole game if you don't want to. You are free to enact a media blackout on Kingdom Hearts 3 whenever you so desire. I personally would recommend after E3 because you'll get to see proper gameplay and know the release date.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I’m gonna be honest. Every time I post something, it’s like you guys are trying to find something wrong with it, generally twisting my words to do so.

You literally presented a list of events taking place over the next 6 months and suggested they could show a new trailer at each one of them. I can't think of a single game that's had new footage shown off each month like that.

Everything you've said suggests to me that this is the first game that you've been keeping up with marketing for. You're not being criticized for that and what we're saying is not meant to offend, but that's what makes the most sense to us as the reasoning behind your posts.

If you don't want to see new content, it's your responsibility to go on a media blackout and avoid it, not on SE or Disney to not show it.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't understand why KH can't be promoted alongside them? If anything, it's Dragon Quest that is going to be put onto the back burner and we already know when and where Tomb Raider will be shown. Square Enix is more than capable of holding up their 2018 catalogue of games and promoting them together.

Sign is right, in previous years magazines have provided a lot of information in the lead up to the games. We get renders and interviews aplenty from Famitsu and Dengeki so even if they aren't pushing anything big, there are still the smaller publications pushing out promotions.

We've followed KH and the marketing cycles for the games for over 10 years now. It's clear as day what Square Enix will do and how they will do it.

You've followed marketing for handheld games, remasters, and glorified demos. It’s been 12 years since we’ve had a brand new numbered title on a console. If there was ever a time for them to change their marketing tactics, now would be the time. I’ve been following the marketing of these games since they announced BBS, Days, and Coded. I know they’ve announced worlds through magazines and all of that.

But Kingdom Hearts 3 is a different animal. I think it’s foolish to expect them to do things the exact same way. Not that they won’t, but they certainly aren’t bound to do so just because of what they’ve done before. If they were rinse and repeating, we wouldn’t be getting the theme song or the name-in-the-game contest so early. For all we know, Frozen is the last standard Disney world to be revealed alongside two more original worlds, the final stage, and possibly Winnie the Pooh. We were not promised 9-10 Disney worlds. If that is the case, magazine world reveals would be most likely be non-existent as they’d prefer to announce them in trailers that receive much more attention. Even Pooh could get a world reveal trailer thanks to the Christopher Robin movie coming out. They’ve said each world is like its own game and I won’t be surprised if the use that perspective in their marketing to show off unique elements of every Disney world.

You literally presented a list of events taking place over the next 6 months and suggested they could show a new trailer at each one of them. I can't think of a single game that's had new footage shown off each month like that.

Everything you've said suggests to me that this is the first game that you've been keeping up with marketing for. You're not being criticized for that and what we're saying is not meant to offend, but that's what makes the most sense to us as the reasoning behind your posts.

If you don't want to see new content, it's your responsibility to go on a media blackout and avoid it, not on SE or Disney to not show it.

No, I said I did not want to see a trailer at each one of them. I was saying that at most I would want one per month as that should be more than enough. Maybe when I said that amount would be enough, you thought I meant that as a minimum rather than a maximum?

I’m not gonna throw a tantrum if they release more content than I want to see. If it gets to that point where I feel a blackout is in need, I’ll do so. But right now, I’m just stating my personal ideal scenario. I don’t see why you’re taking issue with that.

And no, as you can read above, this is not my first rodeo in following video game marketing. Just because I choose to consider how the could market more progressively does not mean I’m ignorant to what they have done in the past.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You've followed marketing for handheld games, remasters, and glorified demos. It’s been 12 years since we’ve had a brand new numbered title on a console. If there was ever a time for them to change their marketing tactics, now would be the time. I’ve been following the marketing of these games since they announced BBS, Days, and Coded. I know they’ve announced worlds through magazines and all of that.

But Kingdom Hearts 3 is a different animal. I think it’s foolish to expect them to do things the exact same way. Not that they won’t, but they certainly aren’t bound to do so just because of what they’ve done before. If they were rinse and repeating, we wouldn’t be getting the theme song or the name-in-the-game contest so early. For all we know, Frozen is the last standard Disney world to be revealed alongside two more original worlds, the final stage, and possibly Winnie the Pooh. We were not promised 9-10 Disney worlds. If that is the case, magazine world reveals would be most likely be non-existent as they’d prefer to announce them in trailers that receive much more attention. Even Pooh could get a world reveal trailer thanks to the Christopher Robin movie coming out. They’ve said each world is like its own game and I won’t be surprised if the use that perspective in their marketing to show off unique elements of every Disney world.
With the bolded, is that a reference to how you think the entire game will drop in July? I'm sorry Zip but I think you've broken me for today. I'm just going to step away from this thread now at the moment because this round about discussion is doing my head in.

MrFranklin95, I wish you the best with working out a gift for your sister. There are a few options if you do want to take her to a convention, but like I said before they are out of LA so you might need your parents to accompany you (if you are under 18 as well). If not, then there's a lot of great KH merchandise out or coming out. I personally like the Chirithy plush. Maybe she would like that?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
With the bolded, is that a reference to how you think the entire game will drop in July? I'm sorry Zip but I think you've broken me for today. I'm just going to step away from this thread now at the moment because this round about discussion is doing my head in.

MrFranklin95, I wish you the best with working out a gift for your sister. There are a few options if you do want to take her to a convention, but like I said before they are out of LA so you might need your parents to accompany you (if you are under 18 as well). If not, then there's a lot of great KH merchandise out or coming out. I personally like the Chirithy plush. Maybe she would like that?

I don’t think the game will release in July. I think the game will release in November. I have a theory of what it would look like if they wanted to do a surprise release in July, but it is not my expectation. The reference is to the fact that when I suggested they could follow similar marketing moves as in the past, I was struck down and spoken to like I was cracked out for even considering it because what they’ve done before has nothing to do with what they’ll do now.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
You've followed marketing for handheld games, remasters, and glorified demos. It’s been 12 years since we’ve had a brand new numbered title on a console. If there was ever a time for them to change their marketing tactics, now would be the time.

Those games sold well and fans (generally) loved them. In the end, it doesn't matter that it's a bigger game, because they want as many people interested and informed about the game as they can, whether it's a DS game or a multiplatform game. That's how they get sales and build up their fanbase. If anything, they would have had to worry about the other games because a lot of people will check out and say "I don't care, it's not KH3".

KH3, and KH in general, attracts media and fan attention like nothing else. They don't really have to change anything about how they promote, because it works well and is sensible. They can (and so far have) made use of social media and the KHUX events to garner interest in KH3 and events.

2 quid is good

Awards
Another upcoming event is Eurogamer Expo, it's being held some time in September. However TGS is being held at roughly the same time, so I doubt KH3 will make an appearance at EGX. Also iirc, EGX is not really a traditional place for KH3 news.

If I may, I'd like to ask your opinion on something. It would take me the same amount of time to travel to Birmingham from where I live in the UK as it would for me to travel to Paris. Which event should I go to if I want to have the highest chance of playing a demo/possibly seeing a new trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back