• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Re: Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" (AKA Alien Prequel/Spinoff) - Trailer

Funny enough, I think you're better off knowing less about the Alien franchise walking into this movie. As I said, you won't compare it as much.

But just a heads up, while there are a few very small inconsistencies with how it falls into the original Alien canon, this film absolutely has nothing to do with AvP, it's an entirely different canon, and that'll be made pretty clear.

DMrayZ

Digidork for life.
Awards
At the end of time, listening to the drums...

Honestly, from what I can tell it's more of a reboot. Look at Batman Begins, everyone expected a prequel, but really it was a set up for a retelling of that whole story. I think that's what Ridley is going for here.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards

Yeah, I was just using that in showing how little I know about the Aliens movies. Everyone I know who went to see it say they have no idea what to think after the movie was over.

Iwrestledabearonce

Δdrug gangΔ
Awards

They set up the spacejockey, but then he leaves his seat and is killed inside the escape shuttle. But in Alien, his corpse is in the cockpit and there's a hole in his stomach. The hole that's made in him in Prometheus is CONSIDERABLEY larger than the one in Alien, so there's no possibility for him to have crawled back to the cockpit. Unless...the cockpit featured in Alien belongs to one of the many ships that David mentioned? If so, does that mean the scene we were all so hyped up for isn't even actually in the movie??

The planetoid that Prometheus lands on is LV-223. The one in Alien is LV-426, I believe. Different moon, and from what I understand, Alien is 30 years post-Prometheus, so if a sequel is in the works, which I sincerely hope, there's plenty of time for Scott to play with in between Prometheus and Alien.

Anyways, I think the movie gets a solid 8.5 or 9 from me. A few minor inconsistencies irked me, and the answers (or lack of) provided in the movie were a bit TOO vague for my liking, but I'm still thinking about the movie 48 hours after I saw it, which I take as a good sign.

It also helps that it's the most gorgeous movie I've ever seen. Upped the bar for special effects/scenery by a fucking mile.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com

I'll probably see it again down the line because there's enough ambiguities in the film that it has left me speculating. Some ambiguities were good and others I wonder if they were weaknesses with the script, hard to say.

Like the fact that we never learn what happened to the bioengineer that got face -er- mouth hugged by that cobra-esque xenomorph. His body's never found, and it doesn't show up again. Though I get the feeling they left that info out because the majority of any film audience already know what comes next.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

For starters, absolutely loved your review, Grass! Can't really add much to what you said, other than my agreement that the film's terrors are definitely found within the philosophical and subdued portions of the film, and not in the monsters themselves. And I even further agree that the film should have put those horrors to more use overall. xD

Ok I saw it, and I loved it.

I agree with the performances. But you also have to include Charlize Theron and Idris Elba, who were the most clear throwbacks to Alien out of the whole movie, outside of the spacejocky himself. Theron's character was clearly meant to be a mirror of Ripley, made most evident by the scene where she answered one man's physical sickness with a flamethrower - which was very similar to Ripley refusing the facehugged John Hurt on to the ship. Idris looked way too similar to the black guy in Alien, and acted too similar to the captain. I'd actually say my one on and only gripe was how similar it was to Alien in story structure. It was to the point where nothing surprised me because I recognized the formula, and could tell exactly what would happen next, beat for beat. The worst offender is the scene when Shaw walks into the escape shuttle. It kinda bugged me that she didn't tell ANYONE that she trapped an octopus alien in the healing pod, just so it could be a convenient plot device for the film's climax.

Oh I definitely agree with you on that. In fact, for awhile I was speculating whether or not Vickers might come out of the film alive since she had that gut instinct that helped Ripley make it out alive in the first Alien film. Alas, I ditched the thought before long, and figured she was a goner before I saw the film though. *shrug* And I definitely enjoyed Idris Elba's performance as Captain Janek. Loved when he sang a certain classic rock song~

There's also a mild plot hole if this is connected directly to Alien. They set up the spacejockey, but then he leaves his seat and is killed inside the escape shuttle. But in Alien, his corpse is in the cockpit and there's a hole in his stomach. The hole that's made in him in Prometheus is CONSIDERABLEY larger than the one in Alien, so there's no possibility for him to have crawled back to the cockpit. Unless...the cockpit featured in Alien belongs to one of the many ships that David mentioned? If so, does that mean the scene we were all so hyped up for isn't even actually in the movie??

It's not directly tied to Alien. For starters, as bear mentioned, Prometheus isn't even set on LV-426, but rather on LV-223. However, I do personally feel that the film DOES give fans a possible explanation for how the Derelict ended up on LV-426. While the Prometheus team investigates the Engineers' facility, they realize that there was some sort of outbreak that occurred there about 2000 years ago, and was almost certainly the reason why there was only one survivor. And considering Fifield mentioning how the corpses he and Milburn find had holes in their chest, it's likely that outbreak had something to do with some form of a xenomorph. My guess is that if the Derelict had any direct connection to the film, its pilot was one of the many infected Engineers at that facility and attempted to escape, only to be forced to land on LV-426 to deal with a bad case of indigestion. It's only a theory, and it only has vague evidence, but it is a possible explanation.

I don't, however, think the movie felt incomplete. The final act felt a tad bit faster than the rest of the film, but that's part of the result of the movie ending open for a sequel. Regardless of any gripes I had, I enjoyed it alot. A friend of mine is saying it's even better than Alien, and though I don't think it's quite THAT good, it's most certainly on par. I'm totally giving this one a second watch before it's out of theaters, not because of how much I loved it but because of how rich the writing was. I'm almost positive there's stuff I missed, like Waylen calling David the closest thing to a son, while his flesh and blood daughter is standing right next to him.

Hmm... I'll keep those thoughts in mind when I see the film again. For now, I still stand by my first-view opinion that the movie was a bit incomplete.

I do think a lot of the crew was underdeveloped, which isn't necessarily a fault in and of itself, as the rather large group of Space Marines in Aliens was also largely underdeveloped and purely there to be to act as fresh meat for when we finally saw the xenomorphs again. However I do think the theatrical cut probably took away a bit of footage from both Vickers and Janek. Clearly those two had rather large roles in the film, especially Vickers, but it felt like there was a bit of needed screentime that wasn't there in the theater. We'll see when it's out on DVD. ^_^

The planetoid that Prometheus lands on is LV-223. The one in Alien is LV-426, I believe. Different moon, and from what I understand, Alien is 30 years post-Prometheus, so if a sequel is in the works, which I sincerely hope, there's plenty of time for Scott to play with in between Prometheus and Alien.

Prometheus is set somewhere between 30 to 40 years before Alien. I've heard different numbers from various sources, but it's somewhere around that time-frame. And yeah, Prometheus will almost definitely have a sequel in the future; Ridley had said at least once or twice several months ago that he already had plans to make a sequel. And really from what Damon Lindelof said on the idea of a sequel, and even how the film itself ends, it's unlikely that Prometheus II would be any closer to setting up Alien. In fact, Lindelof said the sequel would only be more detached from Alien.

Anyways, I think the movie gets a solid 8.5 or 9 from me. A few minor inconsistencies irked me, and the answers (or lack of) provided in the movie were a bit TOO vague for my liking, but I'm still thinking about the movie 48 hours after I saw it, which I take as a good sign.

It also helps that it's the most gorgeous movie I've ever seen. Upped the bar for special effects/scenery by a fucking mile.

I walked out of the theater with a 8.1 personally, but I may bump that up when I see it again in theaters or if the DVD release does in fact contain that extra half hour of footage I heard was cut out from the film.

And yes, this film was absolutely amazing in terms of aesthetics and visuals. *w* Definitely hope it wins some Oscars for that~

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website

In fact, Lindelof said the sequel would only be more detached from Alien.

What was the point of revealing the xenomorph at the end, then?

Also check out this (very spoiler heavy) analysis of the film. The religious themes are way more thick than I initially thought.
cavalorn: Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About
Also based on the date at which the Engineers supposedly changed their mind about humanity, and what Ridley Scott said in an interview, Jesus was an Engineer and his murder is why the Engineers changed their mind about humanity. This isn't the official canon reason, but it's very heavily implied that it is.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

What was the point of revealing the xenomorph at the end, then?

Absolutely no point at all, other than having at least something involving the xenomorph present in the film to please Alien fans. That said, xenomorphs (or at least relatives of the species) can easily be utilized in a Prometheus sequel while the plot remains detached from Alien. For example, Shaw and David could arrive on the Engineer homeworld and discover that the Engineers treat the xenomorphs (or at least the version shown in Prometheus) as some form of religious/spiritual practice in their culture. That would include the alien, but it wouldn't connect at all with the original series in terms of plot.

Also check out this (very spoiler heavy) analysis of the film. The religious themes are way more thick than I initially thought.
Also based on the date at which the Engineers supposedly changed their mind about humanity, and what Ridley Scott said in an interview, Jesus was an Engineer and his murder is why the Engineers changed their mind about humanity. This isn't the official canon reason, but it's very heavily implied that it is.

Huh, that sounds very interesting. I'll be sure to check that out later tonight. But for now, I gotta go fix myself some dinner and do a wee bit of house cleaning. *_________*

Awards

For starters, absolutely loved your review, Grass! Can't really add much to what you said, other than my agreement that the film's terrors are definitely found within the philosophical and subdued portions of the film, and not in the monsters themselves. And I even further agree that the film should have put those horrors to more use overall. xD

Thanks, man!
It just bothered me how much people complained that this film didn't know what it wanted to be. While I think it has its flaws, I don't think that's one of them.

This was a pretty nice read, and an interesting interpretation.
The comments on that article and its follow up, though, I swear some people sound like they have a personal vendetta against this film.

And while it's unmistakable that the 2,000 years is a reference to Jesus, when you get down to it, I think the idea that he was an Engineer seems simultaneously interesting and silly. I wonder why none of the Gospels mentioned the fact that he was a 10 foot tall, muscle-bound glassy-eyed pasty white dude. Unless maybe as an emissary, they somehow modeled Jesus after humans, ie he was an Engineer equivalent to an android lol.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website

Jesus is also described as a dark skin man with course black hair in the Bible, yet he's most often depicted as a light skin man with beautiful brown hair.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Like the fact that we never learn what happened to the bioengineer that got face -er- mouth hugged by that cobra-esque xenomorph. His body's never found, and it doesn't show up again. Though I get the feeling they left that info out because the majority of any film audience already know what comes next.
The one with the glasses?

Funny enough, I think you're better off knowing less about the Alien franchise walking into this movie. As I said, you won't compare it as much.
As a huge Alien fan and having been raised (literally) on these movies, I actually thoroughly enjoyed this film.

It had so many throwbacks to Alien such as the breakfast scene and all of the others you guys have mentioned. And even though I called a lot of what would happen, due to the typical Alien formula, I was pleasantly surprised by the Space Jockey having been a suit with the Engineer in it. That was the one thing I didn't see coming. I also loved David's character, and Idris Elba was fantastic. I can definitely see why people said Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron were channeling Ripley in this film. Oh, also, I really didn't expect to see the typical xenomorph so I was ecstatic with the one in the ending because it gives me tons of room to speculate and theorize.

And even though I am not religious, I really enjoyed what they did with faith. It was chilling. "There's nothing": that line stays with you.

I hope they do make a second one. I would love to see where they take the series and what new elements could be added in while exploring the current concepts.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
Prometheus 2012

So the day has come for my favorite movie to come out on DVD! thats right Prometheus which is the prequel to the alien movies comes out tomorrow! I don't know if alot of you or any of you have seen the movie, but I thought it was amazing!

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
Re: Prometheus 2012

So the day has come for my favorite movie to come out on DVD! thats right Prometheus which is the prequel to the alien movies comes out tomorrow! I don't know if alot of you or any of you have seen the movie, but I thought it was amazing!
I liked it. But the movie came off feeling a bit incomplete.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I'm interested in the alternate scenes.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

F99d037325dd29abc93636cd7d049e.jpg

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
Re: Prometheus 2012

I liked it. But the movie came off feeling a bit incomplete.

I think I heard somewhere they where going to make a 2nd one of this movie, so it's just time that will tell us.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards

I am going to be completely honest with you, I lied I haven't seen this movie, but my friends have told me alot about this movie, so I kind of know what happens, I just have one question before I pick it up tomorrow, are there tons of aliens in this movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back