• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will we ever see Sora's mother?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

okhi12

Awards
It's not even confirmed the voice who called Sora for dinner belonged to Sora's mother. It's the most valid assumption but she could be his aunt, an elder sister or anyone else. We only know for sure Sora has (or had) a father because little Riku told Terra that his friend's dad brought them to the small island where they always play. Other family relationships are Kairi and her foster family, Kairi and her probably deceased grandma, Lauriam and Strelitzia and Donald and his insufferable nephews.
I don't think we'll ever see Sora's relatives.
KH is not about family, it's about friends hearts within hearts and darkness within darkness and realities within realities and worlds within worlds and things within things.

Awards
KH is not about family, it's about friends hearts within hearts and darkness within darkness and realities within realities and worlds within worlds and things within things.
For these reasons, I'm keenly aware that this game series is an unrealistic, childish.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
For these reasons, I'm keenly aware that this game series is an unrealistic, childish.
You were looking in the wrong place for a realistic, “adult” game then lol

Also friendships are a major aspect of adult life. KH is a very drawn-out coming of age story that focuses on found family and lasting friendships regardless of time or space.

Awards
You were looking in the wrong place for a realistic, “adult” game then lol

Also friendships are a major aspect of adult life. KH is a very drawn-out coming of age story that focuses on found family and lasting friendships regardless of time or space.
Please don’t get me wrong, Just because it's childish doesn't mean that i don't deny all such works. I love KH series.
However, i just hope that value not only "Friendship" but also "Family ties" or "Romances" in order for it gives more depth in the KH story.

Romances and Family ties are also traditional themes of Disney works.
OC need to those more in oreder to a better growth story for the characters in the future.

okhi12

Awards
To be honest, not meeting the family of the main characters is a very recurrent trope in RPGs and videogames in general. Sometimes it's the extreme way and the protagonists are orphans who don't know about their origins, or their family was killed shortly before or after the game begins and that's what encourages the main character to start their journey.

Usually the excuse is that the protagonist's background is mostly unknown because they're just an avatar the player must relate to, and probably the developers think that family themes are not as epic or appealing as the character's journey. Truth be told, they're lazy and don't even try to explore those themes because it's easier and more convenient to the plot.
This applies to Disney products in general. Think about it, how many Disney characters are there whose biological mother is known?
Well, a handful, actually. Simba, Jim Hawkins, Mulan, Hercules, Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa, Aurora, Moana, Tiana, Andy, Chip the teacup (just because I remembered him, not that he's relevant) Lady Tremaine's daughters...

And characters with known fathers, too. Some of the above, Jasmin, Belle, Aladdin, Ariel, Prince Charming, Pinocchio (well, strictly speaking Gepetto's not his biological father because that would be a tree, lol), Sam (Tron Legacy), Sally if you count her as Finkelstein's daughter...

But I get your point. There's probably more characters with unknown parents than known ones.

Soldier

Awards
To be honest, not meeting the family of the main characters is a very recurrent trope in RPGs and videogames in general. Sometimes it's the extreme way and the protagonists are orphans who don't know about their origins, or their family was killed shortly before or after the game begins and that's what encourages the main character to start their journey.

Usually the excuse is that the protagonist's background is mostly unknown because they're just an avatar the player must relate to, and probably the developers think that family themes are not as epic or appealing as the character's journey. Truth be told, they're lazy and don't even try to explore those themes because it's easier and more convenient to the plot.

Well, a handful, actually. Simba, Jim Hawkins, Mulan, Hercules, Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa, Aurora, Moana, Tiana, Andy, Chip the teacup (just because I remembered him, not that he's relevant) Lady Tremaine's daughters...

And characters with known fathers, too. Some of the above, Jasmin, Belle, Aladdin, Ariel, Prince Charming, Pinocchio (well, strictly speaking Gepetto's not his biological father because that would be a tree, lol), Sam (Tron Legacy), Sally if you count her as Finkelstein's daughter...

But I get your point. There's probably more characters with unknown parents than known ones.
Don't forget about Dumbo!

okhi12

Awards
Don't forget about Dumbo!
You're right! I tend to forget he exists, even though he's a summon in KH. I've seen that movie only once more than 20 years ago, but I definitely remember his mother.

Soldier

Awards
You're right! I tend to forget he exists, even though he's a summon in KH. I've seen that movie only once more than 20 years ago, but I definitely remember his mother.
I haven't, it was my favorite movie growing up, and easily one of the best summons in the original KH, great power, invulnerability and flight.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I really don't understand this obsession the western online fanbase has with the irrelevant, offscreen parents.
A part of it, I think, comes down to potential fanfic material. Another part is just simply curiousity, like what kind of people raised Sora into the character we know at the start of KH1. They bring up parents in passing and we get to wondering what life on the islands is like. We know there’s at least a port town and some form of high school there in KH2 with Kairi and Selphie in summer uniform, so who are the teachers? At the end of the day, it’s potential for world building. The little details that make the world of KH more unique and interesting.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
It’s one of those things that you unlearn once you understand the context behind things. There’s the obvious cultural differences between the two fanbases as well as the concept of shounen and its tropes. Back then the shounen feel could be swept under the Disney formula but as the franchise moved on, the more it followed the known tropes. One of the most popular being that parents don’t matter. If Nomura finds a purpose then maybe we can see his mom, but let’s hope she doesn’t have that anime mom haircut.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
A part of it, I think, comes down to potential fanfic material. Another part is just simply curiousity, like what kind of people raised Sora into the character we know at the start of KH1. They bring up parents in passing and we get to wondering what life on the islands is like. We know there’s at least a port town and some form of high school there in KH2 with Kairi and Selphie in summer uniform, so who are the teachers? At the end of the day, it’s potential for world building. The little details that make the world of KH more unique and interesting.
I can get that if people were actually expressing genuine interest. 99% of the time they're just memeing lol

disney233

Awards
This applies to Disney products in general. Think about it, how many Disney characters are there whose biological mother is known?
They're known. A mother and father is indeed known in Disney movies.........they just die. Because tradition states it.

Back