• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► ATLA/Legend of Korra | Avatar Studios launches, headed by Bryan and Michael, to create animated feature film

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: ATLA / Legend of Korra - PSA: Korra and Asami are canon!

At least Korrasami is more healthy and developed that Makorra or some of the other pairings such as Bolin and Esna (did I get it right)?

I think it was Eska. That was the creepiest pairing on television and there has been some weird crap on tv.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Re: ATLA / Legend of Korra - ATLA Complete Set, KORRA COMICS CONFIRMED

Wow hahahahaha what a bunch of CRAP! So you're telling me I was supposed to pick up on these romantic feelings when the discussion at the end was about "vacation"?!?! A 3rd grader could write a better ending. So now I know the ending was actually improvised and conceptualized since Season 1 for WHAT?!?! FOR FANS TO BE HAPPY FOR THE ROMANCE APPEAL?! What a terrible taste in writing. No wonder the ending was lackluster and I don't feel bad for, I guess, missing some kind of romance sparked between a discussion about vacation. MY BAD!
Well it's a cartoon on Nickelodeon so the romance required subtly to even have it on the air.

But it didn't start with the final scene....... the hints start in Book 3, which makes sense for a friendship to progress into romance.

I mean... I'm confused that you were sad Korra didn't find love and when you're told she did but it wasn't overt, you're mad.

I'm confused.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

I think it was Eska. That was the creepiest pairing on television and there has been some weird crap on tv.

Creepy, yet hilarious.

Recon man, take a chill pill. You didn't see it, but guess what: pretty much everyone here DID. So it's on you, not the writers.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

recon is angry at lesbians.

Mad Mac Fury Road

Recon

Art of War
Awards

But it didn't start with the final scene....... the hints start in Book 3, which makes sense for a friendship to progress into romance.

I mean... I'm confused that you were sad Korra didn't find love and when you're told she did but it wasn't overt, you're mad.

These "hints" were not even a focus point at all. In fact, the entire focus points were on Korra going solo, Lin/Sue/Toph, finding new Airbenders, aiding the Earth Kingdom, and fighting whatever threat the antagonists had created.

Did Korra ever have moments with Asami? Yes. There are scenes where, yes, they really support each other, but it's not at all properly portrayed to be seen as a "romance" as the writer claims. That's the downfall. You have weak examples (in my opinion) that don't illustrate what the writer is telling its fan base. Thus why I claim it's a bad ending because, as I've been told, Korra does find love in the end, but consecutively watching the series didn't make that apparent enough.

When Asami mentions she wants to take a vacation, it made complete sense when the camera redirected to the spirit portal. The foreshadowing effect created the notion Asami wanted go somewhere remote, like you would imagine with any vacation trip to some remote island or generally a place that's quiet. And because we don't really have an idea about where these people would take vacations, no other place really comes to mind except the Spirit world. As previously stated, no other person would be better then Korra.

Korra had never found genuine love. Not with Bolin, not with Mako, and certainly not with Asami. If anything, and that's anything, Korra and Asami would be soulmates.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

aren't soulmates in love tho lmaooo

i think you got it twisted breheheh

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Haha, who needs love anyways?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

These "hints" were not even a focus point at all. In fact, the entire focus points were on Korra going solo, Lin/Sue/Toph, finding new Airbenders, aiding the Earth Kingdom, and fighting whatever threat the antagonists had created.
Which is how a story should be unless it's a romance. Romances in shows like these are always better when they're not the focal point, because Makorra was painful to watch on screen in Book 2 and frankly took so much away from what was going on. But even that was an accurate depiction of a certain kind of romance, as is Asami and Korra's stranger to friendship to romance progression from Book 1 to Book 4.

Did Korra ever have moments with Asami? Yes. There are scenes where, yes, they really support each other, but it's not at all properly portrayed to be seen as a "romance" as the writer claims. That's the downfall. You have weak examples (in my opinion) that don't illustrate what the writer is telling its fan base. Thus why I claim it's a bad ending because, as I've been told, Korra does find love in the end, but consecutively watching the series didn't make that apparent enough.
Well I didn't provide any reasons yet so I don't know how mine are weak?

Support comes from love, be it romance or friendship it's routed in love.

And it's more the Korra blushing at a comment from Asami about her hair looking good (which if I recall correctly Korra only ever does in romantic situations), only writing to Asami while she was depressed, Asami being the one at Korra's side during her darkest moment, their awkwardness with Tenzin when he interrupts them, the embrace (too long to be a hug) at the end, the handholding, and mostly the long stare into each other's eyes. Those are the hints I remember and I haven't watched it in quite some time.

But whether you picked up on hints like those are not, it doesn't make it bad.

When Asami mentions she wants to take a vacation, it made complete sense when the camera redirected to the spirit portal. The foreshadowing effect created the notion Asami wanted go somewhere remote, like you would imagine with any vacation trip to some remote island or generally a place that's quiet. And because we don't really have an idea about where these people would take vacations, no other place really comes to mind except the Spirit world. As previously stated, no other person would be better then Korra.
The portals were reopened so Asami didn't need Korra to go to the Spirit World. But she clearly wanted her to go with her.

Korra had never found genuine love. Not with Bolin, not with Mako, and certainly not with Asami. If anything, and that's anything, Korra and Asami would be soulmates.
What's the difference? Soulmates is a term typically used in a romantic sense.

And I mean, it's one thing to dislike a romantic choice but you were sad Korra didn't find love. However, she did. Something we're promised will be elaborated on in the LoK comics where there won't be any problems from Nickelodeon, who you know, wouldn't let them be overt with the budding relationship so they had to be subtle and couldn't really start it until the end.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Recon @ TLoK: you give love a bad name

Recon

Art of War
Awards

Which is how a story should be unless it's a romance. Romances in shows like these are always better when they're not the focal point, because Makorra was painful to watch on screen in Book 2 and frankly took so much away from what was going on. But even that was an accurate depiction of a certain kind of romance, as is Asami and Korra's stranger to friendship to romance progression from Book 1 to Book 4.

I agree that it's up the writer's decision whether or not the romance becomes the focal point. But a mere romance can't simply be depicted as support conversations and a little hand holding. We call Korra and Mako a romance because of the intimacy between them, but can we really say the same thing for Korra and Asami?

Well I didn't provide any reasons yet so I don't know how mine are weak?

When I typed that, I was writing in third person. Forgive me. I was stating the writer has weak examples of conveying this "romance."

Support comes from love, be it romance or friendship it's routed in love.

Love can stem from friendship. Again, I question the "hints" used to portray this "romance."

And it's more the Korra blushing at a comment from Asami about her hair looking good (which if I recall correctly Korra only ever does in romantic situations), only writing to Asami while she was depressed, Asami being the one at Korra's side during her darkest moment, their awkwardness with Tenzin when he interrupts them, the embrace (too long to be a hug) at the end, the handholding, and mostly the long stare into each other's eyes. Those are the hints I remember and I haven't watched it in quite some time.

Yes and look how shallow the word "romance" has become in this situation. Varrick and Zhu Li, a master and a personal assistant, get married and we call that a romance too.

But whether you picked up on hints like those are not, it doesn't make it bad.

It makes it bad when the writer says it's a romance, and the viewer has a hard time gathering the evidence to back up that statement.

The portals were reopened so Asami didn't need Korra to go to the Spirit World. But she clearly wanted her to go with her.

Debatable. Korra did agree she needed a vacation too...

What's the difference? Soulmates is a term typically used in a romantic sense.

Soulmates can be used in a romantic sense, but not all the time.
The Difference Between Soulmates and Life Partners - Forever Conscious

And I mean, it's one thing to dislike a romantic choice but you were sad Korra didn't find love. However, she did.

She found love because the writer wrote a damn blog post stating she is in a state of love. To me, in my own opinion, I don't think she did. And if she did, then it's hardly genuine. So yeah, that's pretty sad.

Something were promised will be elaborated on in the LoK comics where there won't be any problems from Nickelodeon, who you know, wouldn't let them be overt with the budding relationship so they had to be subtle and couldn't really start it until the end.

Greatness does not shine through bad example - Recon 2016

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Oh-kay then, Recon, so what would be your idea of a more overt way to portray this romance?
I mean, I'm always ok when a relationship is portrayed through other ways than kissing and/or other typical and standard means, but eh.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'd write a lengthy response but I'm genuinely baffled by what you wanted from Korra and Asami to make their relationship "genuine" like the others.

Let's say things went exactly the same but we change the characters a bit. Let's make some other guy be in Mako's position in Book 1 and 2 so all of the development they had there is non-existent beyond friendship, and then Book 3 and 4 has Mako and Korra getting closer.

3x01: Mako cheers Korra up after press conference. The two exchange a look with Korra's awkward ex. They have their driving lesson and make fun of him, as well as talk about how nice it is that they’re friends.
3x02: Mako decides to take a vacation from work and fly a luxury airship around the Earth Kingdom for Korra. When he first shows up with the airship there’s some major posing. Korra later toys with ex in an airbending twister for Mako’s amusement
3x03: Mako and Korra go to collect taxes for the Earth Queen together and end up kicking everyone’s ass
3x04: Mako and Korra spar to let Korra take out her frustration
3x05: They’re like, around each other but they’re just getting introduced to Zaofu. Not really a moment
3x06: They’re sitting next to each other at breakfast when Varrick uses his magnets?
3x08: Again, sitting next to each other at breakfast when Varrick shows them his airbender tester. The rest is Team Avatar trying to figure out if Aiwei is guilty and then taking off at the end of the episode.
3x09: The Stakeout. When Asami/Bolin go into town, Mako asks Korra if she’s okay, the two search for clues about Aiwei. Later Mako escapes from Ming-Hua and Ghazan with Korra’s body on the back of Naga. They get captured and Korra asks if he’s okay.
3x10: Long Live the Earth Queen. It’s the airship episode. They flirt/eye-diddly the entire episode and at the end Korra brags about Mako to Tonraq.
3x11: Mako offers to watch over Korra’s body as she meditates
3x12: Korra says she’s going to turn herself in to Zaheer, Mako says there’s that Korra “can’t expect us to sit by and let Zaheer take you.” They hug and tell each other to be careful.
3x13: Korra almost dies, Mako looks shattered. Then we get the scene at the end with Mako saying he’s there for Korra, taking care of her, checking on how Korra’s reacting to everyone, and standing with Korra and her family on the opposite side of the stage as Korra’s friends for Jinora’s ceremony.

4x01: Mako is grossed out by Wu's flirting with Asami, and we learn that Mako spent the past 3 years rebuilding the infrastructure to marry spirits and the physical world (plus Korra’s statue) with Asami. Mako also expresses excitement abut seeing Korra again, makes Korra blush over admiring her new looks.
4x02: We learn that Mako offered to go with Korra to the SWT. Mako also writes to Korra and is the only one to ask how Korra’s doing. Korra later reciprocates by only writing to Mako and conveying her concerns, asking Mako to not tell Bolin and Asami, because she doesn’t think they’d understand.
4x05: Mako’s upset about life so he goes to work out his problems in Avatar Park near the statue of Korra.
4x07: The Reunion. We get overt flirting, a lover’s spat, and then the two of them fighting in perfect synchronization while a bemused Asami is dragged along for the ride.
4x08: Mako brings Korra tea and comforts her
4x10: Korra defends Mako’s decision not to help build a bomb.
4x11: Team Avatar goes to hunt down Kuvira. Not really anything explicitly Makorra, but they’re around each other.
4x12: It’s part 1 of the finale, where Mako is working to help get Asami's hummingbird suits up. Korra places all stock in Mako's ability to help Asami, saying it’s their only chance, fights in synchronization with Mako again to bring Mega Maid to the water and freeze it in place for Mako, looks horrified for Mako’s sake when Bolin is killed, then looks angry as diddly at Kuvira at the very end
4x13: Final episode. Mako is the one to notice Korra come back from the Spirit World, the first to touch her after Kuvira’s arrest, and it looks like Mako places his head on Korra’s shoulder for the group hug in a zoomed in screencap. Then they essentially elope together on their vacation.

(Edited from this: LoK Gifs & Musings)

They'd become friends, bonding over the strengths they have as people. They'd become closer than ever both emotionally and physically. When the season ends with Mako seeing Korra broken physically and emotionally, he looks devastated. He is the only one to get replies from Korra. Essentially thinks Korra looks good, Korra is embarrassed but pleased by it, they continue to bond and grow closer, then it ends with them going on "vacation" as they hold hands and stare intimately at each other in a light that represents the marriage of two worlds and a new era of hope.

Last edited:

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

I don't think Recon woule be satisfied until we get an on-screen depiction of Korra and Asami scissoring the fuck out of each other.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

I don't think Recon woule be satisfied until we get an on-screen depiction of Korra and Asami scissoring the diddly out of each other.

Isn't the issue is that anything more then holding hands would prevent it from airing in other countries?

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Isn't the issue is that anything more then holding hands would prevent it from airing in other countries?

Something like that yeah, its network stuff that is almost certainly a reason we didn't get something like a kiss. Still didn't stop a large portion of viewers from getting it immediately ha. I always remember even my one friend who thought I was expecting too much from them was like "Damn, it really did end like you thought!"

But yeah, I admittedly thought they were growing closer as just friends till the season 3 finale, the part where Asami is dressing Korra and then holds her hand and talks about how she will be there for Korra if she needs to talk or anything, and there is this deliberate pause and eye shift down that implicated she wanted to say a lot more. I know that could taken as not knowing what to say maybe, but along with the hand holding at the exact same time made me think something more was happening. And then yeah Book 4 cemented it pretty quickly ha. Though, if I'm honest I crackshipped the two of them since Book 1 because I thought Makorra and Masami were crap relationships and said they should just dump him and get together themselves...little did my gay heart know what would await 4 years later.

But yeah, if I'm brutally honest, I wish they would have kissed or at least leaned in to start kissing as the camera panned up? I dunno. I know it isn't necessarily needed for romance, especially at first but it would avoid all this stuff lol. Also I just really want to see them more overtly "coupley" (for me) which is what I expect from the Korra comics...eventually. Wouldn't want them to just rush it either.

Relix

A traveler
Awards

I mean realistically speaking they've had the most actual bonding, life-changing, confiding, etc. in the group. It was my main complaint with Team Avatar this time around but it was actually what fueled this ship more which is why it makes sense. In the original Avatar series they were a lot closer as friends than Korra and her crew. Yes you could chalk it up to the fact that these kids were constantly on the run in the middle of a war and you grow pretty damn close to those you are going through hell and back with. With Korra's team they didn't have the emotional weight that wartime provided, but that is not to devalue their relationship that is just to say that in order for Korr'a team avatar to even be remotely close they would need bonding and spend actual time together, which when it comes down to it Korra and Asami did more of this together. Sure Korra was on the same team as Mako and Bolin and their friendship and trust grew because of that but you can only take that so far.

Korra and Mako had an infatuation for each other that, yes, was fueled by the shared experience of being terrorized by Amon but it fell apart due to a hell of a lot of miscommunication, stubbornness, and clashing of priorities.

Mako and Asami, that was always a matter of lust from the beginning on Mako's part as he fell for Asami's beauty the minute she took off her helmet and then figured "Hey she's a pretty cool, chick" after going out with her to dinner and they sorta just hooked up. Asami was obviously looking for more in the relationship and I do believe Mako wanted something more out of it as well but once Korra got involve what they had wasn't strong enough apparently so that break up happened. And let's not talk about how Korra and Mako weren't separated for a solid week yet before Asami and Mako hooked up again only for Mako to leave Asami again after a Korra who has been wiped clean of the "unhappy" times between came walking back through the door.

Now with Korra and Asami these are two people who started off on somewhat awkward terms as Korra had feelings for Mako at the time his new beautiful, cool, and wealthy girlfriend was introduced. And Korra doesn't appear to hate Asami or anything, only going as far petty teenage jealousy. Korra goes as far as to try and convince Mako that he has feelings for her and Mako acting on those feelings effectively cheats on Asami and things go downhill from there. In all this Asami's disappoint and anger is with Mako and not so much Korra because 1) Asami is going out with Mako and not Korra so she should trust her significant other to be faithful and 2) she does not know Korra like that. They're not that close. They've hung out a couple of times and sure she's the avatar and Asami knows right and wrong when it comes to the bigger picture (Korra vs Amon) but she doesn't know Korra as a person who should not be messing around with her boyfriend. But Asami takes the biggest loss around this chapter in their lives cuz she not only breaks up with Mako and he gets with the girl she was cheated on with (Asami ain't petty though so that's cool) but she loses her father and has to take the responsibility of leading the family business (which despite hardships she is doing surprisingly well at).

Continuing Korra and Asami's relationship despite the bs of what they've both been through with Mako, they've been through battles together but the arc that I believe really pushed their relationship to new levels was Zaheer and his band of misfits. In this arc Korra and Asami had several team ups, kicked ass side by side, spent more time together after they had both broken up with Mako (as Mako spent time distancing himself from everyone for those who want to argue that Mako was spending time with everyone to). And it wasn't even like a "oh we broke up with the same guy let's hang out" but they legitimately needed to get their minds off of all the crap happening so they spend more time together. Now once Zaheer does his number on Korra and Korra's entire identity is shattered to all sorts of pieces of course everyone is coming out of the woodwork like "Oh we're here for you. Get some rest. We care" and yes they all do but Asami was there before crap got real and is there for Korra right before Jinora's ceremony comforting Korra at what may be the breaking point of it all when Korra realizes that she isn't needed. After this traumatic hour Korra goes to the South Pole to recoup and keeps in touch with who? Asami. Why? Because Asami through all the crap that is going was always there. Everyone else distanced themselves one way or another which I can hardly blame some of them for because like I said in the beginning of this rant nobody is close to anyone. Asami and Korra actually put effort into building their relationship by spending time together and going through crap together and experiencing these hardships together. I don't blame Korra for only keeping in contact with Asami.

So when push comes to shove it is only natural that Korra and Asami fall for one another because they've been through a lot, shared a lot, and put a lot more effort into what they had than any other member of the damn series. You can call it whatever you like but love isn't something that happens at first sight, lust is, but not love. Love is cultivated, cared for, experiences shared and there are little other characters that shared these moments but these two. Don't get me wrong, if you were to ask me before the finale if they would end up together I wouldn't have said "Oh absolutely" but seeing them get together I can still say "Oh that makes sense."

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar

Romance aside, I kinda wish that it had been all 4 members of Team Avatar that walked into the Spirit World together at the end. It felt like there was a bit of a disconnect in the group at the end, and I think a group trip like that would have been a beautiful way for them to end the series. Imagine the four of them walking into the portal side by side, laughing at some unheard joke from Bolin.

I do totally support the Korrasami pairing though

Relix

A traveler
Awards

Funny thing is if they had a spirit world trip together earlier in the series it would have been great for growth in the group.

Awards

I think that Korra should have stayed with Mako in the end. Any complications abolished and a fresh new start of a happy relationship.

EchoFringe49

Sorry to disturb the discussion, but has anyone seen the new Voltron series? Its by the same studio (Mir) and has a lot of the same people behind it as Avatar. I've only watched a few eps but I really enjoy it so far

Back