• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fasting and Meditation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
it was aimed as a silly question, but that was actually quite interesting, thanks :)

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
no problem, glad i didn't completely embarrass myself not catching your joke!

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
it wasn't really a joke, i just didn't think anyone would take me seriously. but i did really want an answer, haha. i didn't know you couldn't drink when fasting either :3

/dumbass

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Wikipedia explains it nicely for our non-Muslim brothers and sisters:

Ramadan is a time of spiritual reflection and worship. Muslims are expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam and to avoid obscene and irreligious sights and sounds. Sexual intercourse among spouses is allowed after one has ended the daily fast. During fasting intercourse is prohibited as well as eating and drinking, one is also encouraged to resist all temptations while you are fasting. Purity of both thoughts and actions is important. The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the inner soul and free it from harm. It also teaches Muslims to practice self-discipline, self-control,[9] sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and charity (Zakat)

Ramadan is also a time when Muslims are to slow down from worldly affairs and focus on self-reformation, spiritual cleansing and enlightenment; this is to establish a link between themselves and God through prayer, supplication, charity, good deeds, kindness and helping others. Since it is a festival of giving and sharing, Muslims prepare special foods and buy gifts for their family and friends and for giving to the poor and needy who cannot afford it; this can involve buying new clothes, shoes and other items of need.

Pirates

You want to avoid bad habits regardless. If you are doing anything for "pleasure" then it's not allowed. It's hard to explain that. It is really all about intent, ignore my use of the word pleasure. For example, you are allowed to brush your teeth with toothpaste when fasting, but you can't swallow anything. Likewise, if your mouth gets incredibly dry, you can flush it with water, but once again you can't swallow it.

Whenever I fast, my lips get incredibly dry, and subconsciously (I guess out of hunger?) I start to use my teeth to peel the skin off my lips. This is a habit I want to kick.

What about medication?

What if it was lemon flavoured or something. Does that mean you cant take it?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Fasting is not required for the ill and other parties. In Islam, your health always comes first.

Zul

Awards
When I was less religious, I would always look at the eating-drinking part of Ramadan, not ingesting during the day was the first thought that came to my mind when Ramadan was mentioned.

Sooner or later you begin to learn that there is so much more than that, and that the real purpose of the month is spiritual improvement and seeking Allah's mercy.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
The same for me too Brother Zulkir. The purpose of fasting is so much more than refraining from eating and drinking from sunrise till sunset. Its the self restraint from all forms of evil both physically, verbally, mentally and spiritually. Subhanllah.

I'll also post the verse 183-186 of Chapter 2 which first explained and ordained to the Muslims to what fasting was and is an explanation to us also.
183. O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint,-
184. (Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew.
185. Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.
186. When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.
187. Permitted to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They are your garments and ye are their garments. Allah knoweth what ye used to do secretly among yourselves; but He turned to you and forgave you; so now associate with them, and seek what Allah Hath ordained for you, and eat and drink, until the white thread of dawn appear to you distinct from its black thread; then complete your fast Till the night appears; but do not associate with your wives while ye are in retreat in the mosques. Those are Limits (set by) Allah. Approach not nigh thereto. Thus doth Allah make clear His Signs to men: that they may learn self-restraint.

If you wish to learn a bit more about, there is a small booklet by Dr Jamal Badawi that explains it really well in all angles, that is spiritual and moral elements, social elements, physiological and psycholgical elements, and medical elements. Its available online on this link.
http://www.2muslims.com/cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?page=print&link=224292

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I accidently took a sip of RooAfsa right before today's fast was ending. :x *sigh*

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Great to see all of the conversation, considering how old this thread is.

@Nelo Angelo: firstly, assalamualaikum. Second, I can't believe how long you have to fast over there. In Florida we finish Sahoor (breakfast) at 5:20 am and break fast at 8:20 pm. It must be hard for you, but like you said, the harder it is the more hasanat you shall receive.

@Jeels: pretty much what Bats said, as long as it wasn't intentional, then your fast hasn't been broken.
On that note, a friend of mine told me that when you forget and accidentally eat or drink something during your fast, than that means Allah made it so you could take a drink or eat as a reward. I'm not sure if this is true so could anybody verify this?

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
I accidently took a sip of RooAfsa right before today's fast was ending. :x *sigh*
Lol. Fail bro :D But yh as Brother Batman (lol) said, and I'm sure you know, if it was an accident without the intention, the fast is still valid considering you stop eating as soon as you're aware of what you done.

Great to see all of the conversation, considering how old this thread is.

@Nelo Angelo: firstly, assalamualaikum. Second, I can't believe how long you have to fast over there. In Florida we finish Sahoor (breakfast) at 5:20 am and break fast at 8:20 pm. It must be hard for you, but like you said, the harder it is the more hasanat you shall receive.

@Jeels: pretty much what Bats said, as long as it wasn't intentional, then your fast hasn't been broken.
On that note, a friend of mine told me that when you forget and accidentally eat or drink something during your fast, than that means Allah made it so you could take a drink or eat as a reward. I'm not sure if this is true so could anybody verify this?

Walaikumasalaam warahmatullah bro :) Yeah alhadmulillah, it is a loong day, but it is a great blessing. And inshaAllah if I'm around for next Ramadan, its gna be even longer :D

I haven't come across what your friend mentioned in my readings of hadiiths. But of course I haven't read them all lol. I do agree with the part that Allah had willed for it to be the case, bit the reward I'm not so sure. Although opening the fast is an occassion of joy as Abu Hurraira (ra) related in this hadiith of the Prophet (pbuh) in which Allah (swt) said:

"Abû Hurrairah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah says: ‘Every deed of the child of Adam is for himself, except for fasting. It is for Me and I shall reward it.’Fasting is a shield, so if it is a day of fasting for any one of you, then he should engage in no obscenity or shouting. If anyone belittles him or fights with him, he should just say ‘I am a person who is fasting’.I swear by Him in whose hand is Muhammad’s soul, the smell of the fasting person’s breath is sweeter to Allah on the Day of Judgment than that of musk. The fasting person has two occasions for joy, one when he breaks his fast because of his breaking it and the other when he meets his Lord because of the reward for his fast.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (7492) and Sahîh Muslim (1151) with the wording being that of Muslim]

Subhanallah :)

EDIT:

Oh I thought I'd list a reminder for us, from the book link I posted earlier, about what invalidates the fast and things which do not invalidate the fast.

IX. Things which do not invalidate your Fasting

During fasting, the following things are permissible:
· Bathing. The Prophet (PBUH) was reported to have poured water over his head while he was fasting either because of thirst or heat. (Ahmad, Malik & Abu-Dawood) If water is swallowed involuntarily, it does not invalidate fasting.

· The use of al-Kuhi (eye powder). Anas (RA) reported that the Prophet (PBUH) used to use al-Kuhi while fasting.

· Kissing one's husband or wife provided that one is able to control himself/herself; 'Aa'isha (RA) reported that the Prophet (PBUH) used to kiss while fasting and touch while fasting (but) he was the most (able) of you in controlling himself

· Rinsing the mouth or nostrils with water provided that it is not overdone (so as to avoid swallowing water).

· Swallowing things which are not possible to avoid such as one's own secretions (i. g. saliva) or street dust etc.

· Tasting the food being purchased (or cooked) with the tip of the tongue. (this was reported by Ibn 'Abbas (RA)).

· Taking injections (of any type).

· Smelling flowers or wearing perfumes, etc.

· One may continue his/her fast even if he/she is Junub, (the state after intercourse or night discharge and before bathing). Likewise, women at the end of the periods of menstruation or post childbirth confinement periods may start fasting if bleeding stops at night (any time before dawn). In all of the above cases, bathing may be delayed until the following morning and the fast is valid.

· If one forgets that he/she is fasting and he/she eats or drinks, provided that one should stop eating or drinking as soon as he/she remembers. The same rule applies to those who are involuntarily forced to break the fast.
The Prophet (PBUH) said: If anyone forgets that he/she is fasting and eats or thinks he/she should complete his fast, for it is only Allah who has fed him/her and given him/her drink. (Muslim, al-Bukhan).

· Involuntary throw-up. The Prophet (PBUH) said: "If anyone involuntarily vomits (while fasting), he does not have to make up (for that day). (But if anyone deliberately causes himself to vomit, he must make up (for that day)." (Ahmad, Abu-Dawood, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah)

In either case, the person must continue to fast for the rest of the day.

X. Invalidating the Fast

A. Those which Invalidate Fasting and Require Qada' only (making up for the missed day or days, a day for a day). This category includes:

· Eating and/or drinking deliberately (including partaking non-nourishing items by the mouth).

· Deliberately causing oneself to vomit.

· The beginning of menstruation or post-childbirth bleeding even in the last moment before sunset.

· Ejaculation for reasons other than sexual intercourse, (e. g. kissing or hugging one's wife).

· Eating, thinking, smoking or having sexual intercourse after Fajr (dawn) on the mistaken assumption that it is not Fajr time yet. Similarly, engaging in these acts before Maghrib (sunset) on the mistaken assumption that it is already Maghrib time.

B. An Act which Invalidates Fasting and Requires Qada' and Kaffarah (an act of atonement).

Sexual intercourse during the period of fast (dawn to sunset) not only invalidates the fast but involves an additional penalty as well. The penalty is to set a slave free. If this is not available or possible, one must fast an additional period of 60 continuous days. If one is not able to, then he must feed sixty poor persons one average meal each.

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported that a man broke the fast in Ramadan (deliberately). The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) instructed him to atone for this by setting a slave free or to fast two continuous months or to feed sixty poor persons. (Muslim)

The majority of jurists make no distinction between men and women in the applicability of the above penalty provided that both deliberately engaged in sexual intercourse during the day (dawn to sunset in Ramadan).

If both forgot that they were fasting, or did not intend to fast, (e. g. due to illness or travel), or were fasting before or after the month of Ramadan, the penalty does not apply. If the wife was forced into intercourse by her husband (during the day in Ramadan) or if she was not fasting for a legitimate reason, then the penalty applies to the husband only. Ash-Shafi'i, however, believes that the wife is not penalized even if she accepts to engage in sexual intercourse with her husband. She is required only to make up for the missed day (a day-for-day). One version attributed to Ahmad Ibn Hanbal concurs with this.

Candy Man

Green Lantern Battery
You know, it's pretty interesting to see a thread made about you and how the discussion develops over time.

I will admit this fast was by far the most radical one I had ever done, and it was considered unorthodox to those in my own religious community, but the experience of doing this did bring that much closer to God and there was a lot I had learned. A major part of my beliefs is that one's spirit will always much more important than the body or mind. The body is only something physical and the mind can be distracted or even tricked. I always say the way I fast is like meditation because when I am convicted to do so I use it as a tool to connect with God on a purely spiritual level. Prayer and connecting with the Holy Spirit are both very important parts of this. I try not to fast in this way on anything like schedule, because I do not believe it is something I should do unless I know it is God's will. I have no problem with those who fast very differently from this, or those who do so regularly. One's prayer life is part of their own walk with God, and therefore is unique to them.

Whenever I fast, what I do not partake in is always different. I've had long fasts where I only ate on certain days at certain meals, and shorter ones where I ate nothing and drank water and juice (I do understand the issue of health, but I've never fasted long enough where a lack certain foods would prove dangerous). I do remember the instance in question, although when I did do it I only fasted for two and a half days. I'd never done anything like this before, and there wasn't much information for me to go off of. The elders and pastors I knew had never done anything like it themselves, though it wasn't unheard of. Going without both food and rest is what's called a Watch, and for it to be done is rare. Even knowing this, I knew God wanted me to continue. It while before I did the Watch for myself.

I starting going without food and praying about two days before I started, as kind of a preparation. In all honesty, this was actually more similar to my normal fasting. After those two days, I devoted all possible time to my Watch. I wasn't sure I would be able to pull it off. I've had problems with sleep for many years and denying myself it was far from easy. but the more i prayed, the more discipline i had and the easier it became. After the first night, I didn't feel tired or hungry anymore. I'd go to the bathroom, I'd drink some water now and again, but nothing else.

Ultimately, it was one of the most rewarding and spiritual moments of my life. Who knows, there may even come a time when I do it again some day.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Ah so it was you the brother was reffering to :D Well I gotta congratulate you on this, it is not an easy feat. Going without sleep too is even more difficult. It is something Mulsims do at least once a year on the Night of Qadr, which is on one of the odd night the last ten days of the month of Ramadan where they fast as usual during that month, but on this particular they stay up in worship to God. But doing it for three nights must have been quite an experience.

It reminds me of the Hadiith said by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) about the way Prophet David (PBUH) used to worship God:
Narrated Abdullah bin 'Amr bin Al-'As: Allah's Apostle told me, "The most beloved prayer to Allah is that of David and the most beloved fasts to Allah are those of David. He used to sleep for half of the night and then pray for one third of the night and again sleep for its sixth part and used to fast on alternate days."
[Sahih Bukhari: Book2. Vol 21. Hadiith 231]

Hm, come to think of it, your situation reminds of another hadiith where that same companion of the Prophet (PBUH) did something similar to what you did...

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr bin Al-'As:
Allah's Apostle said to me, "O 'Abdullah! Have I not been informed that you fast during the day and offer prayers all the night." 'Abdullah replied, "Yes, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said, "Don't do that; fast for few days and then give it up for few days, offer prayers and also sleep at night, as your body has a right on you, and your wife has a right on you, and your guest has a right on you. And it is sufficient for you to fast three days in a month, as the reward of a good deed is multiplied ten times, so it will be like fasting throughout the year." I insisted (on fasting) and so I was given a hard instruction. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have power." The Prophet said, "Fast like the fasting of the Prophet David and do not fast more than that." I said, "How was the fasting of the Prophet of Allah, David ?" He said, "Half of the year," (i.e. he used to fast on every alternate day).
Afterwards when 'Abdullah became old, he used to say, "It would have been better for me if I had accepted the permission of the Prophet (which he gave me i.e. to fast only three days a month)."
[Sahih Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 31 :: Hadith 196]

Just my advice to you brother :)

Last edited:

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Who fasted Arafat today? For those who don't know what that is, it's the 9th day of Dhul-Hijja (of the islamic calendar). If you fast on this sacred day, all of your sins from the past year and the next year will be erased.

I did :3

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
Yep I did too brother. MashaAllah :)
Eid today! Eid Mubarak bro! And to all our Muslim brothers and sisters celebrating it. May Allah accept it from us and you, and may he return it back to you.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
I have a friend who says he is not going to eat or sleep for three days. Three days he will spend meditating and praying.

This not only strikes me as freakish and bizarre but also foolish. Supposedly the idea is to bring yourself closer to God by denying yourself the things of the flesh. Aside from the physical concerns I think I would question any 'religious experience' I have while denying my mind the necessary sleep to discern reality from fantasy.

So this thread is about that situation in particular as well as general discussion of meditation and fasting as a religious practice.

Typically, when I fast, I pick a start time and an end time, typically some time a day after I start. I eat before the fast starts, and its really not that bad. You just keep hydrated, keep your mind off of food, sleep at night and last till lunch the next day. Ive done it for two years now. I take one weekend every year (friday-saturday) and fast for 30 hours. Depriving yourself of sleep though seems slightly ludacris. Though you do pray a lot when you fast lol. Thats the point though. Its also a choice to fast or not, at least with Christianity.

D

Deleted member 36435

hey when your friend is in the emergency room you can tell him "i told you so"

[edit] what the shit this topic is like 100 years old

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back