• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► Has the ending of Kingdom Hearts Union Cross recontextualised Xehanort for you?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Maybe you should wait until translations are out and people actually have a chance to process the finale?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Still going to wait for translation context, but the answer is no.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Waiting for translations but this doesn't change anything for me. Dorkness is still evil and Xeanhort is a fool for thinking he could solo the entire world and be the master over it all.

Everyone has friends and loved ones. Mike Pence wasnt just Trump's VP. Obama loved Biden. And so on. Xeanhort should have seen that.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
For the most part no. I kind of figured that's what the game was building to given Xehanort's flashbacks of the past. If the translations confirm that's their connection my opinions of Xehanort's character haven't changed

I'm still iffy about his homeworld not being Destiny Islands though

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No. I am just confused about the events surrounding Xehanort now because it is all complicated for no reason, but it hasn’t changed my feelings about anything that has happened in the franchise up to KH3.

Maybe the only thing that has changed is that I think Nomura really hates us, the audience, and I already knew he hated us years ago.

And maybe I hate KH as a whole a little more today? Like why are we doing this? Why is Xehanort getting all of this story after his saga has ended? Why any of this?

AegisXIII

Awards
No. I am just confused about the events surrounding Xehanort now because it is all complicated for no reason, but it hasn’t changed my feelings about anything that has happened in the franchise up to KH3.

Maybe the only thing that has changed is that I think Nomura really hates us, the audience, and I already knew he hated us years ago.

And maybe I hate KH as a whole a little more today? Like why are we doing this? Why is Xehanort getting all of this story after his saga has ended? Why any of this?
Indeed, I have never been a fan of explaining the back story of a character that is out of the picture. But again, maybe he is not out of the picture. He is just not the main antagonist anymore.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Is it even yet completely confirmed that Player actually reincarnated into Xehanort like the common real world interpretation for it or did their heart just join with Xehanort's newborn one like Ven did with Sora in BBS?

Either way though it should not change anything in terms of how to view Xehanort and the actions he pursued and committed throughout the first KH saga.

To me at least it doesn't change anything because Xehanort is still Xehanort and he choose the path he followed of his own volition and is also still responsible for all the damage he caused.
Player being in the mix doesn't change that nor does some of the guilt or responsibility suddenly fall onto their shoulders as well.

If Player's heart is "just" joined with Xehanort they are more or less just a passenger and their "relationship" is pretty similar at the base to Sora's and Ven's or even Sora's and Roxas'.

If Xehanort is really the outright reincarnation of Player the same applies because they are not the same individual and existence after all. In contrast to resurrection or rebirth a reincarnation explicitly describes a continuation via a new "incarnation" that isn't the same being as before.

GreyouTT

Awards
It hasn't changed much for me. After looking at the translations again, I realized it's just a Ven/Sora thing. Heck the player might not even be in there by the time 3 rolls around. They could have left Xehanort by the end of DR or even when Xehanort takes Terra's body in BbS.

the red monster

Awards
For now no.
but dark road is still a thing so we'll see how things play out.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
No, It doesn’t make me think differently of Xehanort after all he still did a lot of awful stuff and ruined a lot of people’s lives whether it was directly or indirectly ( things that Ansem Seeker of Darkness or Xemnas did)

The only thing the update made me feel is sorry for the player as considering how nice and kind they were it’s a shame the heart they had to join on to or the person they reincarnated into was Xehanort

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Is it even yet completely confirmed that Player actually reincarnated into Xehanort like the common real world interpretation for it or did their heart just join with Xehanort's newborn one like Ven did with Sora in BBS?

Either way though it should not change anything in terms of how to view Xehanort and the actions he pursued and committed throughout the first KH saga.

To me at least it doesn't change anything because Xehanort is still Xehanort and he choose the path he followed of his own volition and is also still responsible for all the damage he caused.
Player being in the mix doesn't change that nor does some of the guilt or responsibility suddenly fall onto their shoulders as well.

If Player's heart is "just" joined with Xehanort they are more or less just a passenger and their "relationship" is pretty similar at the base to Sora's and Ven's or even Sora's and Roxas'.

If Xehanort is really the outright reincarnation of Player the same applies because they are not the same individual and existence after all. In contrast to resurrection or rebirth a reincarnation explicitly describes a continuation via a new "incarnation" that isn't the same being as before.
Agreed with all of this.

I think reducing it down to "reincarnation" when that isn't entirely accurate is doing both characters a big disservice tbh.

D

Deleted member 246005

I hate Xehanort and I haven't kept up with Union Cross but I kinda like it.

I wish they used reincarnation sooner in the franchise. It's more intuitive than the usual KH jargon. Having Ven reincarnate into Sora is easier to explain and opens up new "doors" for him. And I'm saying this as someone who really grew to hate Sora after KH2.

Oh well.

I'd just give the Player Character Young Xehanort's design and voice actor if they ever adapt Union Cross outside of gaming. The blank avatar surrogate doesn't work outside of gaming to me.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

I was curious as to why I haven't seen any posts from you regarding the finale. Yeah, the Players heart joining Xehanort goes against Nomura's comments about him no longer being relevant for the future of the franchise only to have this and Melody of Memory contradict that.

I will say this, Dark Road has the added pressure of justifying our OC's connection to an antagonist.

the red monster

Awards
I think by irrelevant he probably meant as the main villain.
i knew we were going to see/hear more of him after the MoM and youngnort scene from ReMind.

Noivern

Awards
Yes and no. The actual ending didn't change how I was already feeling towards YX ever since DR became a thing, but it solidified it, I guess?

I.. really like Xehanort (the DR version. I won't call him Young Xehanort as that refeers to the time traveling version, which is pretty different IMO). Which I hate because I *hate* Master Xehanort. He's a major asshole in all instances, be it his Heartless, his Nobody, his bald head is ugly and so is his shitty beard.

But Xehanort? He's interesting, and is intentionally a lot like Master Riku (as in the post DDD version of the character), except.. more glooming, I guess?

As of now I'm pretty much treating both version of the character as different individuals; and considering this is Kingdom Hearts, at some point they might as well be. lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I was curious as to why I haven't seen any posts from you regarding the finale. Yeah, the Players heart joining Xehanort goes against Nomura's comments about him no longer being relevant for the future of the franchise only to have this and Melody of Memory contradict that.

I will say this, Dark Road has the added pressure of justifying our OC's connection to an antagonist.
Haha yeah I normally would be screaming along with y'all.

I will say I don't hate the ending. I just don't know what to think about any of it, so I've mostly abstained from commenting until I can better process everything.

Back