• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Keychain or Keyblade

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraXVen

The exact specifications and details of keychains have never really been touched on in Kingdom Hearts. I was wondering what constitutes the keyblade's power and allegience, the keychain or the heart it was born out of.

Basically what I'm wondering is if the keyblade itself is permanently bound to the heart, but if the keychain which dictates the form is what is able to be passed around. (This would explain how the KK went from Riku to Sora and how Riku still has a keyblade, and how he did something similar with Kairi's keyblade)

Quick sidenote: do you think a realm of darkness keychain would work on a keyblade aligned with light?

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I don't think the keychains can be passed around, but merely replicated for others as I think it has something to do with friendship.

Also, I'm not sure about the keychain of darkness on keyblade of light...but honestly, I don't think that could happen and I think that would be interesting to explore.

Gram

Banned
Awards
the keyblade is usually bound to a single heart but can be wielded by anyone with a strong heart. the only case of a keyblade jumping ship so to speak on its wielder is when sora took riku's key (the KK) when he left DI, when it went back to riku in Hollow bastion and when it went to sora again in that same world.

i view the keychains as more of a game mechanic, just something to add to gameplay cause in the theater modes and in flashbacks sora always has the kingdom king.

EDIT:
also the keyblade dont really have an allegiance, it just cares bout if its wielder has a strong heart not whether their aligned to anything.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The exact nature of keychains was never really expanded upon, but personally, I've always saw them as just representative of bonds and memories forged with others, taken physical form for us, the player.

Keyblades themselves are bound to a single heart, as Master Xehanort explains prior to the final battles in Birth by Sleep. However, other wielders can wield another's Keyblade, as seen with Aqua using Eraqus', or Sora using Riku's prior to the Kingdom Key finally choosing it's own wielder. A Keyblade is a Keyblade. Its wielder just needs to have a strong heart. Alliances with light, darkness, or any other thing is simply irrelevant.

Also, that's not Kairi's Keyblade.

SoraXVen

the keyblade is usually bound to a single heart but can be wielded by anyone with a strong heart. the only case of a keyblade jumping ship so to speak on its wielder is when sora took riku's key (the KK) when he left DI, when it went back to riku in Hollow bastion and when it went to sora again in that same world.

i view the keychains as more of a game mechanic, just something to add to gameplay cause in the theater modes and in flashbacks sora always has the kingdom king.

EDIT:
also the keyblade dont really have an allegiance, it just cares bout if its wielder has a strong heart not whether their aligned to anything.

The only thing i don't get about this then is how KK (which should be Riku's) Finalized its choice to stay with sora and then Riku now has WTD. Each heart can only have one keyblade, so by this logic Riku's heart technically has/made a total of two keyblades.

Edit: @sign. That has to be Kairi's keyblade because Riku pulled WTD out while she was using it going of course under the premise that 1heart=1 keyblade. But it still raises the question of how/why Riku is able to make these keyblade's and pass them out to everyone:/

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
It's not. Even if it was, there's no reason Riku would be able to summon a Keyblade Kairi herself hasn't even awakened yet. That's literally pulling it right out of thin air, with no cause or explanation.

It'd make more sense to be Master Xehanort's Keyblade, taking a different form due to Riku's strong memories of home. During that time, Riku still continued to house the heart of Apprentice Xehanort, made up of the combined hearts of Terra, Eraqus and Master Xehanort. Terra's Keyblade remains with the Lingering Sentiment, Eraqus' is with Aqua, and then there is Xehanort's.

Gram

Banned
Awards
The only thing i don't get about this then is how KK (which should be Riku's) Finalized its choice to stay with sora and then Riku now has WTD. Each heart can only have one keyblade, so by this logic Riku's heart technically has/made a total of two keyblades.

Edit: @sign. That has to be Kairi's keyblade because Riku pulled WTD out while she was using it going of course under the premise that 1heart=1 keyblade. But it still raises the question of how/why Riku is able to make these keyblade's and pass them out to everyone:/
not really for one we dont know how a keyblade comes to their master let alone if their made of said masters heart also riku only has one cause the kk has disowned him so he technically only has one cause the kk is owned by sora now.

and no its not kairi has yet to summon her own keyblade the one she used was lend to her by riku.
it doesnt raise no such question, yes its 1 keyblade to master however at that time riku had xehanorts heartless inside him and if you've played bbs you done know that xehanorts heartless was born of a heart that was made up of terra, MX and eraqus.
its the same thing as sora riku was duel wielding at that time cause he, like sora, has the heart of another wielder inside him.
when sora duel wields its him using his key and ven's at once.

SoraXVen

Ok, so I get why that's not Kairi's keyblade. But what my main question was about is with each of these exchanges, what is really given the keyblade or keychain. I need to find the quote but I'm pretty sure Nomura said each keyblade is an extension of that person's heart. So it wouldn't make sense for that "item" to swap allegiance like that. So really the only swap in question is the one of KK. Did the keyblade "item" itself change owners or did the KK keychain swap and thus change the appearance of Sora's dormant keyblade "item".

Personally I think it is the keychain that switched. It just doesnt make sense to me for someone to give up an extension of themselves. It seems like the keychain gives the power and appearance of it while the item itself is housed inide of the individual hearts.
TAV didn't have keychains (at least during the game's early stages). So that's kind of what I'm getting at. The original keblade has it's own being plus basic keyblade power (opening/closing doors, heart manipulation) and is permanently bound to that heart, unlike the keychain that gives it specialized stats and can be exchanged.
kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep-20080808032517070_640w.jpg

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
But Sora didn't even go through the Keyblade Ceremony, yet he managed to get the entire Kingdom Key.

The thing with the KK is that it originated from both Sora and Riku, meaning that it's probably a special keyblade from all others.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Ok, so I get why that's not Kairi's keyblade. But what my main question was about is with each of these exchanges, what is really given the keyblade or keychain. I need to find the quote but I'm pretty sure Nomura said each keyblade is an extension of that person's heart. So it wouldn't make sense for that "item" to swap allegiance like that. So really the only swap in question is the one of KK. Did the keyblade "item" itself change owners or did the KK keychain swap and thus change the appearance of Sora's dormant keyblade "item".

Personally I think it is the keychain that switched. It just doesnt make sense to me for someone to give up an extension of themselves. It seems like the keychain gives the power and appearance of it while the item itself is housed inide of the individual hearts.
TAV didn't have keychains (at least during the game's early stages). So that's kind of what I'm getting at. The original keblade has it's own being plus basic keyblade power (opening/closing doors, heart manipulation) and is permanently bound to that heart, unlike the keychain that gives it specialized stats and can be exchanged.
i dont remember nomura saying that the closest thing to that is mickey telling data sora the a keyblade draws its power from the heart.
it also dont make since why a keychain would swap when they dont do anything more than alter the keyblades appearance and abilities.
plus you have to remember sora never had the ceremony to inherit a keyblade so he didnt have the "item" for riku's kk keychain to latch on to by your theory and no sora never got an "item" from ven either.
and didnt nomura say in the kh1 ultimania or interview that sora took riku's keyblade notice how he says "blade" (anybody got that link?)

we dont if the keyblade is an extension so far all we know is its a special weapon of unknown origin, also think of this its said a keyblade chooses its master (and aside from the "recommendation" that the ceremony gives we know this to be mostly true. it also proven so with sora's case that a keyblade has final say of its owner) so if it were truly an extension of one's self it wouldnt need to choose a wielder as it would be part of said wielder already.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
But Sora didn't even go through the Keyblade Ceremony, yet he managed to get the entire Kingdom Key.

The thing with the KK is that it originated from both Sora and Riku, meaning that it's probably a special keyblade from all others.

It's very simple, and it also stated in-game that it "brings out the Keyblade's true form and power" or something, so does that refer to every Keyblade or just Sora's own?

SoraXVen

i dont remember nomura saying that the closest thing to that is mickey telling data sora the a keyblade draws its power from the heart.
it also dont make since why a keychain would swap when they dont do anything more than alter the keyblades appearance and abilities.
plus you have to remember sora never had the ceremony to inherit a keyblade so he didnt have the "item" for riku's kk keychain to latch on to by your theory and no sora never got an "item" from ven either.
and didnt nomura say in the kh1 ultimania or interview that sora took riku's keyblade notice how he says "blade" (anybody got that link?)

we dont if the keyblade is an extension so far all we know is its a special weapon of unknown origin, also think of this its said a keyblade chooses its master (and aside from the "recommendation" that the ceremony gives we know this to be mostly true. it also proven so with sora's case that a keyblade has final say of its owner) so if it were truly an extension of one's self it wouldnt need to choose a wielder as it would be part of said wielder already.

Yeah that makes sense. I was getting confused because of the whole key chain thing. I wish they would go into more detail about the keyblades in the game tho. This speculation crap is confusing as hell

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
The exact specifications and details of keychains have never really been touched on in Kingdom Hearts. I was wondering what constitutes the keyblade's power and allegience, the keychain or the heart it was born out of.

Basically what I'm wondering is if the keyblade itself is permanently bound to the heart, but if the keychain which dictates the form is what is able to be passed around. (This would explain how the KK went from Riku to Sora and how Riku still has a keyblade, and how he did something similar with Kairi's keyblade)

Quick sidenote: do you think a realm of darkness keychain would work on a keyblade aligned with light?

Tifa gave Sora the Fenrir Keychain in Kingdom Hearts II after beating Sephiroth. Nuff' said.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
200px-Two_Become_One_KHIIFM.png

Two Become One. Light and Darkness. Given the ability, name, and appearance, I would say this would be a Keyblade of both Light and Dark.

SeaSalt

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
something makes me think that most keychains (in some cases) are non-canon. for example:

the battle of 1000 heartless cutscene has sora's kingdom key

the BBS final endings have their respective keyblades (with the exception of Terra and Aqua's upgrades)

i may be wrong, but oh well.

i believe the keychains/gears change the visuals and prototype of a keyblade to match the keychain/gear's respective description.

{side note, why does justin bieber play whenever i visit this page...}

KeybladeOfShadow

I agree with Anagram, I've just viewed it as a gameplay mechanic to upgrade your weapon and do more damage/change abilities. It adds an extra flair, as they may have thought combat would get a tad boring without the option. All the important scenes and theater modes show the Kingdom Key, so I've always viewed "He's always had the Kingdom Key" as canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back