• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► [KH] The Eyes Behind (Riku/Xion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Audo

Title: The Eyes Behind
Rating: Teen
Pairing: Riku/Xion (Rion)
Summary: "Why do you wear that?" She asked, pointing towards the band of darkness that covered the eyes behind it.
Date Begun: Thursday, October 23rd, 2008
Date Posted: Saturday, October 25th, 2008
- - -​
The World That Never Was was a world that sat upon the plane between light and dark - the in-between realm. It teetered closer to the dark side of things than the light, but that was how the Organization wanted it. They had created the world themselves - made of the nothingness that they too belonged to.

The world - like each of them - held no heart to sustain it. Instead, it used memories, much like they had. Memories were what kept the world together, and where those memories were stored was a towering sky scraper placed in the middle of the Dark City.

Memory’s Skyscraper.

When one was in close proximity of the tower, they would find their memories displayed upon the many television screens situated on the top of the tower. The picture quality of the screens all deepened on the strength of the memory that was being displayed. The more important the memory was to the beholder - the clearer the image that would be emitted from the many screens. Well, that was what Zexion had told Xion upon arriving in The World That Never Was.

She didn’t know whether or not to believe him about it, because, for the first few weeks of her membership in the Organization, many of her fellow members found it best to play pranks on her. To tell her things that she would believe, and then make herself a fool by thinking it was reality. She had learned her lesson early on when Vexen led her to believe that forks were called dinglehoppers.

That was one of the many pains of not being able to remember even the simplest of things. And the rest of the Organization Members liked to exploit her for that fact. But, as Roxas had assured her, it would end eventually. She believed him out of all of them, for he never tried to trick her.

Whether or not to trust Zexion was a different story though.

When she had first approached the skyscraper, her first day in this forgotten world, nothing appeared upon the many screens. Nothing. All she saw was a consistent static, one that wouldn’t break no matter how hard she had tried to recall memories - no matter how hard she tried to believe that she had some in her hollow chest.

When Zexion approached her, he told her its secrets. Everything about how it functioned, as if he was reading from an encyclopedia page from the Lexicon he carried with him so diligently. And when he stepped within the proximity of the tower, the screens fluttered and upon them there was an image. An image of six young apprentices, ravelled in white lab coats. But then he shut his Lexicon firmly, and the screens turned off.

She was beginning to trust Zexion’s word more and more, for every time she had gone to Memory’s Skyscraper since; she was beginning to see an image through the static. It was still faint - sure - but it was an image nonetheless, and she was sure that soon enough, she would be greeted by an image as clear as day. But, that day was not today.

Xion sat down upon the uppermost TV screen’s edge, her feet dangling in front of it. Looking down upon the massive Dark City below her, she was reminded of sitting upon the Clock Tower. But, she couldn’t go back there - not yet. So, here, upon the skyscraper, would be the new place she would find herself constantly.

Xion peered below her feet, barely being able to make out the image on the screens directly beneath her. It didn’t matter though; on her way up she knew all it was was the same old static. A part of her had hoped it had changed miraculously the minute she sat down, but she knew that wouldn’t be the case. Accepting this as the bitter truth, she let out an exasperated sigh. What she wouldn’t do for some Sea-Salt ice-cream right about now.

She let her eyes close, as she hummed to herself a soft melodic tune. It had been her mind all week, ever since she left. This was the problem with being friends with Demyx.

She felt something cold hit her nose, and when she slowly opened her previously shut eyes, she found herself staring at something sky blue. Sea-Salt Ice-cream. She looked at the black gloved hand that held the Popsicle in front of her face by its stick; following the glove, to the sleeves of the cloak, to the shoulders - like a long lost treasure map to her secret truths.

“I thought I’d find you here,” the silver haired boy said, waiting for Xion to take the Popsicle in her hands before sitting down beside her atop the skyscraper.

Xion held the Sea-Salt Ice-cream in her hand in disbelief, a smile appearing upon her soft, pale face as she continued to look at its sky blue. She took a small bite of the ice-cream, letting the piece slowly melt on her tongue. “Yeah,” she said softly, the smile not leaving her face. “How’d you know I’d be here?”

Riku pretended not to hear, staring off at the distance at the heart-shaped moon, its radiance providing the only source of light that wasn’t made comprised of neon. He didn’t want to tell Xion that he knew she came here every day. That he had watched her from a far, to make sure she was okay. He knew what was going on, even if she didn’t tell him before hand.

“I can’t go back to the Clock Tower,” she said, as if answering her own question. “Not for awhile anyway,” she said, speaking in a soft manner as she glanced passed the ice-cream she held at the moon in front of them. “That’s their place.”

“So, you’re running from them?” Riku said.

Xion looked away from Riku, tilting her head slightly to the right as she bit off another piece of her ice-cream. “I guess,” she said, “but you knew that.” Riku didn’t say anything. “It’s just for a while. I can’t go back to them - not right now - not… like this.” Xion turned to look at him, a feigned smile upon her lips. “Well, if the Clock Tower is their place, then, this can be ours - right?”

Riku glanced at her through his blindfold. “Yeah,” he said.

“It’s funny,” she said, taking another bite. “Well, I guess it isn’t that funny.”

Riku raised an eyebrow, looking upon her quizzically. “What is?”

“Axel and Roxas,” she said, “they’ve been looking all over for me, yet… none of them haven even thought to look here. I guess they never thought I’d be so close to….” Why was it that the word that was next in her mind was home? Was this her home? It had become accustomed to her as such for so long but… that was before she met him.

“Maybe they don’t know you as well as they think they do,” Riku said, shifting in his spot.

Xion looked up at him, slightly wide-eyed. They didn’t know where I was… she thought to herself, but he did. She smiled, softly. “Yeah,” she said, “maybe they don’t. But, I’m glad that someone does…”

Riku looked down at the feeling of his hand being squeezed softly by a hand much smaller than his own. He looked toward Xion, slightly taken off guard by the moment. Thanks, she had whispered, almost barely audible.

“You being here means a lot, Riku,” she said, letting go of his hand. She took the last bite of her ice-cream, almost saddened by the fact that it had disappeared so quickly. She looked at the Popsicle stick in her hands, reading the ‘WINNER’ printed upon it. She slipped the stick into her cloak pocket, making a mental note to save it for another day.

“You already finished it?” Riku said, staring at her in slight amazement.

“..I was… hungry,” she blushed. Riku’s lips quirked up into a small smile, shaking his head lightly as he let out an equally small laugh. Xion’s cheeks only reddened further. “Hey! Cut it out!” she yelled childishly, only causing Riku to laugh further. “What’s so funny,” she pouted.

His laughing subdued, as he stood to his feet. He placed his hand on top of her head. “You’re cute,” he said, giving her head a small rub before turning toward the tower’s elevator.

Xion looked over her shoulder, watching as he pressed down button on the elevator. He was stalling. She turned to look at him completely, still lying on the ground. “Where are you going?” she said. Her voice bled something desperate, causing Riku to turn around.

“Sora’s waiting for me,” he said simply.

“Oh,” she said sullenly, getting up to her feet. “When are you going to let me see him?” she said softly, looking up at Riku through her bangs. He shrugged, telling her that he’d take her to him soon. “Can I ask you something, Riku?” she said, walking towards him. He didn’t move, only watched her perspicuously as she stepped closer and closer to him.

“What is it?” he said.

“Why do you wear that?” she asked, pointing towards the band of darkness that covered the eyes behind it. “I’ve never seen you without it,” she said, stepping closer and closer still. “I’ve never seen your eyes,” she said, “both of them I mean.”

“Maybe that’s for the best,” he said, looking away from her, turning to look towards the elevator.

“Why?” she said, her voice filled with something daringly close to naivety.

“I don’t want you to see what I’ve become.”

Xion stared at him, stared at the blindfold. She didn’t care who he had become, for she knew that he was still Riku. He would always be Riku to her, nothing could change that. And so, she found herself inadvertently reaching for his blindfold.

He grabbed hold of her wrists, just as she was reaching to free him of the black cloth that concealed his eyes. But, he didn’t pull them away; he just kept them exactly where they were. He looked down at her, into her clouded eyes. She was so innocent, and he didn’t want to ruin something like that. Innocence can only last so long, before someone must face the bitter-tasting truth.

“You can trust me, Riku,” she said, her hands still being kept mere inches away from the cloth. Her eyes were blue. She looked up at him with that puppy-dog look that he always found himself staring at when Xion was confused, and lost. That was a lot of the time. And how he hated himself for making her confused - for keeping her in the static that she is already is so far deep in.

His grip on her wrists loosened, as he let her hands reach ever closer to his blindfold. And then her gloved hands held onto the ribbon. Riku looked down at her, his heart telling him that this was what he should do, while his mind told him to back away. But which was it that he should be listening to?

“Are you sure?” Xion said nervously, her gloved hands gripping the cloth. Riku’s heart, it beating at fast pace, forced him to nod his head. Xion nodded too, as she slowly pulled the cloth of the silver-haired teen’s face, letting it fall to the floor.

Gorgeous aquamarine was what she was met with. Riku blinked, letting his eyes adjust to the sudden change in lighting. He looked down at her, his heart beating faster than he could have ever imagined them to. He watched as her expression turned from a happy one, as she stared in his eyes, into a confused one.

His eyes had begun to change.

Slowly the aquamarine was disappearing from his eyes, only to be replaced slowly by a faint gold. When Riku finally broke the stare between them, shutting his eyes, when he opened them they were a solid gold. Xion backed away subconsciously, her eyes-wide. And in the reflection of her vibrant blue, he could see the gold truth staring back at him - the thing he was trying so hard to deny as fact.

“I told you,” he said, turning his head away from her, fighting back the pain in his throat and the darkness in his heart. “I told you that you wouldn’t want to see what I’ve let myself become.” He needed to suppress - suppress his emotions and his darkness that resided in his heart. If he didn’t, then she would see the true image of what he had become… Ansem.

“Riku…,” she said quietly, her voice reduced to not but a slight whisper.

He closed his eyes, still not even looking in her direction. His voice was hoarse, almost like the words broke as they left his lips. “I told yo-.”

Riku was almost knocked off his feet, staggering to regain his balance as his eyes shot open. Xion had her arms wrapped around his body, her face buried against his chest as she held on tightly to him. He stared at her in disbelief, as he tried to piece back together his composure from almost having the wind knocked out of him.

“Riku…,” she whispered, “your heart still beats the same.” She buried herself even further, closing any distance that was between the two of them. Riku, with his arms still outwards from the shock of Xion’s ‘hug’ just continued to look at her with golden eyes. “You’re still you,” she said.

Riku hesitantly put his own arms around the younger black-haired girl. “Thank you, Xion,” he whispered into her ear. He let them remain in a hug for a mere moment, before finally breaking a part. “I really need to go,” he said, reaching for his discarded blindfold.

“Sora’s waiting…,” she said slowly as she watched Riku wrap the dark cloth across his eyes. He raised a hand, and beside them a Corridor of Darkness formed. Looking back at her, he gave her a small comforting smile. “Will you be back?”

Riku nodded. He stepped over to her for one last moment, taking in the faint blueberry smell of her hair. He placed a hand on her shoulder, bringing up memories of their time on Destiny Islands. He leaned in slightly, giving her a quick peck on her forehead before turning and leaving through the Corridor.

Xion touched the spot where Riku had kissed her, a small smile appearing on her face as she watched the Corridor of Darkness disappear from view. Still smiling, she walked back over to the edge of the tower, where she sat down - her feet dangling over the edge. And though she didn’t know it, the TV screens upon the skyscraper were shining brightly a fond image of her memories of the silver-haired boy.

The End​

Ren

adios motherfucker
I THINK I'M IN LOVE THIS WITH, TOO.

“Riku…,” she whispered, “your heart still beats the same.”
Now, can you give me back mine?

A

Azrael

Another great fanfic Audo! You and SA are quite the Rion shipper

A

Audo

lol, thanks guys.
I wrote it as a sort of explanation as to why Riku was on top of the skyscraper when he fights Roxas.
Because it was his and Xion's "place". :3

Cissy

Bronze Member
OH MAKE ME TYPE IN CAPS WILL YOU? WHY I OUGHTA---

Dangit. Why must you win so much? Why? ;____;

The bit about the beating heart melted mine. And the last paragraph was pure <3

Spyells

You will open the door to light!
An enchanted castle. That's what college is called
I liked it. It was very sweet. I love how Riku just knew she would be there and how he just knew she wanted Ice Cream. The kiss on the forehead in the end was sweet. It made me melt. Good job Kris! It's a 10/10 from me. Keep up the good work! :lol: :thumbsup:

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
I'm rarely one to care much about Fan-fics, but this was one of the few that I kept on reading, beyond the first paragraph. Great job, keeping even me reading beyond the first paragraph. It was fairly intriguing.

Too bad I doubt I'll ever make anything like this, especailly since I've never been too good with fan-fiction myself. Anyways, this seems pretty good.

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
Cissy said:
Dangit. Why must you win so much? Why? ;____;

Oh we’ll see about that >=D

No, actually, I couldn’t come close to this. This was superb and you’re very good at character depth. You portray them exactly as I think they should, and that’s a rare find for me. Only a couple grammatical errors, which are so small I won’t bother telling you about them. You’ve just dominated the romance genre of KHI, by my standards.

For now, heh heh…

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards
I was going to say what my favorite parts were, but then I realized that I had too many! These Rion fics just get better and better R-K!!! Very beautiful, and very well-written.

And I loved the part with the dinglehopper. :thumbsup:

Xinjust

You're using En dashes (-), where you should be using Em dashes (—). Only critizism I got, not that it matters because it's just a line.

Other than that, awesome short.

KHninjagirl

I absolutely LOVE this story! It's so cute. I might write some stories so please watch for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back