• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts at Disney World

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

If PROJECT: Magic Kingdom Hearts happened, would you like to be part of it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutsceneaddict

**Firstly, if this is posted under the wrong thread, I apologize and don't mind if it is moved. I wasn't sure exactly where to put it**

As a huge fan of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, it bothers me that Disney hasn't done anything to integrate the series into their theme parks--Magic Kingdom, specifically. Last October, I attended Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween, cosplaying as Riku. While there, I ran into four other cosplayers from KH, heard rumors of others roaming the park, and got recognized by many--including several employees.

That got me thinking.

There's really no reason for Kingdom Hearts NOT to be part of the Magic Kingdom. Disney is slowly releasing more and more KH (trickling it in, more like) to their theme parks and merchandise. We are now beginning to see KH pins, and at one time KH figures were even sold in the Japan store at Epcot. One October, they even had Donald and Goofy dressed in their Chain of Memories outfits! AND, they had a guy walking around in a Sora costume--an official Disney employee. Most recently reported, park attendees at the Wreck-It Ralph meet-and-greet at Disneyland reported hearing Hikari playing over the loudspeakers.

5142d1114441834-kingdom-hearts-wdw-khearts2.jpg
5141d1114441635-kingdom-hearts-wdw-sora2.jpg

I believe that we, as fans, should take some steps towards getting KH into the Magic Kingdom. I've let this issue tumble around in my mind for a few weeks. After seeing all the cosplay in the Magic Kingdom, I finally had an idea:

Create a day where KH fans unite and attend one of the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween events in 2013, dressed in cosplay or wearing KH shirts, necklaces, etc. Basically, just make the statement that we love Disney, we love Kingdom Hearts, and we'd love to see them get together. I'm currently calling this project: Magic Kingdom Hearts, with the end-goal being to join these two "kingdoms" together by joining the hearts of a legion of fans.

So, why the long post? Basically, this is just an idea in my head right now. Thus far, the project has received a very positive response from others KH fans. If it continues to gain support, I'll be putting together a website soon with much more detailed information. Right now, I'm posting this for two reasons:

1. As my fellow Kingdom Hearts fans, I want to ask you: does this idea sound do-able? Is it something that you would like to be a part of?

2. I'm looking for information on any KH presence that has ever been (or still is) at the Magic Kingdom. For example, if you went to the Magic Kingdom cosplaying a KH character, I'd love to post your picture on the website. If you know (or have pictures of) any pins, plushies, figures, etc. that have ever been at the Magic Kingdom, I would love to have pictures/information on them. Basically, any information that you have about any kind of KH presence at the Magic Kingdom--or Disney in general--I would love to have it (and put it on the project website with your permission).

Walt Disney himself once said that it's, "Kind of fun to do the impossible." Getting Kingdom Hearts into the Magic Kingdom might seem a bit impossible, but if Walt can do it, so could we.

Looking forward to everybody's feedback! :smile: Thanks for reading!

Sorry for the long post. I hope it doesn't violate forum rules in any way. If it needs to be deleted, I apologize. Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong section. Thanks!

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Honestly, it seems kinda pointless. While getting some recognition from Disney is nice, I don't really see why we need to go above and beyond to try to get more. I'd be interested in what ideas that you think would help change that.

Commander Corn

What would the point be? Like what do you want Disney to do with the franchise in regards to the parks?

That Sora costume is hideous btw. ;__;

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
-ignoresalltheirrelevantpostsabove-

I like the idea, but I'm not sure how effective it would be tbh. You can try but I wouldn't expect miracles :x

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't know this sounds pretty fun. If not to prove a point to Disney that people still care abut Kingdom Hearts, but to live out a dream at Disney World.

You'd have to know what kind of cosplay community there is in Florida, though. I'm sure a ton of them would want to do something like that.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I would like it if they promoted it more. Although I'm not expecting a whole section dedicated to Kingdom Hearts but at least selling related merchandise that's difficult to obtain elsewhere that isn't Japan.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
The most you'll ever see of Kingdom Hearts in Walt Disney World is in the video game section of Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
As quaint as the idea sounds to have a get together to express our interest, I'm with Chaser on this one in that I doubt it would be effective. I don't live near the Disney parks but I have followed their relationship with Kingdom Hearts numerous times (I even discussed it with the product manager of Kingdom Hearts to see if it was something on SE's behalf).

When Kingdom Hearts first came out Disneyworld carried the TOMY figures in their stores and guess what...they sold like absolutely crap. After that complete fail, Disney lost faith in KH as a source of income in the park though they gladly kept the costumes (no matter how creepy). Years down the road we find ourselves with KH having a reasonable fan-base and I think Disney is giving it a second chance.

From the cast members at Disneyland I have talked to (Kingdom Hearts is bigger in Disneyland than Disneyworld, hence why their is more merchandise at DL and why the first pin was LE only to Disneyland), they all believe they are going to release a little more merchandise every year and gauge people's interest in it to see whether or not they should pursue it, but they are really only looking to see how well it sells. You could have a day where every single person in the entire park dressed as a Kingdom Hearts character, but if those KH items don't sell, it would all be for naught.

Not to mention, depending the park you choose to attend as the get together, you guys only represent your local area. Disney has no way to show that you guys are representative of the entire US. I'm not saying you guys shouldn't try, the idea sounds great and all, but don't expect great results is all I'm trying to say :(

BTW, yes, Japan Epcot did carry Kingdom Hearts Play Arts figures, but it wasn't because they were Kingdom Hearts, Japan Epcot always seems to carry some SE merchandise whether they be Final Fantasy Play Arts or anything else, they just happen to carry KH in one instance and people started to preach that they were going to convert to all KH merchandise.

Cutsceneaddict

Thank you for all of the feedback :smile:

Right now, this project is in its idea phase. I'm merely tossing the concept out to fellow KH fans to see if it takes off. It's true that perhaps KH didn't do well at the parks early on, but the fan community has expanded since then. I don't expect Disney to create an entire world based off of KH (or even a single ride), but I would like for the series to have better representation throughout the parks, even if that just means more merchendise.

The purpose of this event would simply be to raise awareness. I'm not saying that it would get KH into the park overnight, but it would be a step in that direction. We have to start somewhere. Perhaps the results would not be incredibly effective, but there would be some kind of impact none-the-less. Employees and attendees would notice a multitude of Kingdom Hearts cosplay/T-shirts, and perhaps even learn about the series for the first time.

I'm not saying that PROJECT: Magic Kingdom Hearts will work a miracle by magically getting the series more presence in the Magic Kingdom, but it would make a statement. Depending on how many participants the event gets, that statement could be huge.

And, besides, the event itself would be a lot of fun for the KH community. If nothing else, we could host this as a mere KH event. If something bigger comes about as a result, wonderful! We've had fun either way. :biggrin:

Keep the feedback coming. ^^

And yes, I agree, that Sora costume is pretty scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back