• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

For The King

I saw no threads for this, so I apologize if one is already made.

Lara_Croft_Guardian_of_Light.png

Xbox 360 (Arcade)
August 18, 2010​

PlayStation 3 (PSN)
September 28, 2010​

PC (Steam)
September 28, 2010​

Is anyone else going to be buying this? I am a major Tomb Raider fan, it's my favorite series before KH, so it's a first day purchase for me.​

For The King

Awesome, what system will you be playing on? It would be fun to co-op with someone from here. :D

And no one else is interested? Bummer. :p

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
Idk...this doesnt look as appealing as the other games did. Idk what is though. Not really thinking about getting it.

For The King

I'm going to buy it for my PS3...
Ah, I am going to be getting it for 360. Damn. :p
Idk...this doesnt look as appealing as the other games did. Idk what is though. Not really thinking about getting it.
I think it's because it's different from what we are used to seeing Lara in, this is a major change in terms of gameplay. You could always try the trial to see if you like it when it's out.

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
I think you're right. I dont like her voice but over that I dont like the new gameplay. The camera looks too far for my likings. I like to be closer. THey look like little mice running around lol......but Ill try the trail version cause I love Tomb Raider games.

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
Really my first thought when I saw that trailer was you could copypaste any character from Contra or from any contemporary space-marine FPS character and nobody would notice the difference. :l

Probably will take some getting used to.

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
Really my first thought when I saw that trailer was you could copypaste any character from Contra or from any contemporary space-marine FPS character and nobody would notice the difference. :l

Probably will take some getting used to.

Yeah, probably or they can wait until january and buy the new Tomb Raider game that is in the works.

I'm going to buy both...hehe

For The King

Just got my Gameinformer and they had the first review for this, and I decided to type it out as I don't have a scanner. Enjoy guys. :)

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
Crystal Dynamics takes a risk and reaps the reward

Gameinformer Game of the Month
Gameinformer Gold

Full disclosure, I love Lara Croft. It's no secret, but worth putting out there all the same. My allegiance to the industry icon, however is just that - to the character herself. I've played all the Tomb Raider games over the past decade, and Lady Lara always helped me trudge through the franchise follies, even when convulted narratives and questionable gameplay decisions disconnected from the roots I found endearing.

My waning enthusiasm for the property halted when Crystal Dynamics reinvigorated the series with Tomb Raider: Legend, which promised a new direction for the seasoned franchise. The studio's commitment to the IP and willingness to take risks is apparent in Guardian of Light, the first downloadable title in the franchise's stable.

With a new isometric view viewpoint, amplified combat, and co-op play. Guardian of Light's many departures from traditional Tomb Raider gameplay are obvious. Despite the changes, the first downloadable game feels more like a Tomb Raider experience than anything I've played as of late. Bursting with exploration, puzzles, and platforming, the pace isn't encumbered with unecessary narrative, dialogue, or even character development. We know who Lara Croft is. We know what she does best. The shrouded forests of Central America are her playground, and we're lucky enough to go along for the ride.

If you're worried about this being a downloadable game, don't fret. This isn't the case of a franchise being reduced to a skeleton in the name of fun. Lara's library of moves isn't truncated; the addition of artifacts and relics that augment Lara and her sidekick Totec's stats encourages careful exploration. Some are rewards for completing challenges, while others must be forced and located in dangerous enviroments. This allows Lara to evolve in a measurable way unlike past Tomb Raider games.

The level design is epic as ever, with puzzles spanning entire vistas littered with tunnels, tombs, torturous traps, and more. Challege rooms are a new addition to make the game much more accessible. The more taxing experiences in the game are reserved for these optional tombs, but Lara will be rewarded with a bigger payout for besting them. Some challenge rooms require logic to solve puzzles, while others test your reflexes and shooting skills with deathly obstacles and waves of powerful foes.

Nothing surprised me much more than how much I enjoyed co-op play. The mode opens up new gameplay avenues with tools such as remote bombs and cooperative grapple moves. Many puzzles require cooperation, but the competitive elements make the adventure memorable. Though you and your partner share the same goal, a prominent score counter keeps both of you scrambling to to get your hands on more gems and other objects of value than your partner. Speed runs, challenge tombs, and level-specific achievements each encourage replayabiltiy.

Despite the well-deserved accolades, a few problems remain. One would think the higher vantage point provided by the isometric camera would by default give you a better lay of the land, but the legacy camera problems occasionaly return. I met my demise several times by falling off a hidden cliff after getting ambitious in my exploration. Sometimes I had a hard time making a jump because of an object obscuring my view. These issues are few and far between, though, and the punishment for death is a little more than a reduced score.

In taking a chance with Guardian of Light, Crystal Dynamics rediscovered Lara's latent potential. For those of you concerned with the direction this ancillary title has taken, rest easy. We know Lara is as versatile as she is flexible.

>>Score

>>Concept
Dropping the Tomb Raider moniker, Crystal Dynamics changes the equation with a new camera and co-op play neatly wrapped in a downloadable package.

>>Graphics
Employing the Tomb Raider Underworld engine, the enviroments, lighting effects, and character renders are polished as their big-budget counterparts.

>>Sound
Populated with both iconic and original music, the former grounds the game in familiarity while the latter plays up the new, action-centric direction. Some of the voice acting could use a once-over, though.

>>Playability
Despite the arcade influences, Lara's moveset isn't reduced in the slightest. Co-op play allows for more diversity in puzzle solving, and the analog shooting lends itself nicely to the frenzied combat.

>>Entertainment
Balancing the franchise - exploration, puzzles, and platforming - with the new combat-centric focus is both engaging and entertaining. Even when solving puzzles, downtime is rare.

>>Replay Value
Moderate
I can't wait for this, only a 8 days left. :D

Radon

mofo
I thought I better comment on this as you went to the trouble of typing all of it out. I'm at least going to get the trial for this. I'll see where I go from there.

For The King

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I haven't played tomb raider before but I tryed the demo and ended up buying it, might get the ps1 classic with it too

ffxiiilight

I actually lucked out and got one of the free downloads of this game, it is very fun game, however currently stuck in a place with 2 gates and you need to get thru one before the it closes and the other will open and let you continue. Have not play it in a month or so as a result of this.

Wicked

absurdiam
Finished this game and got addicted. Even though it was quite boring and repetitive, it was enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back