• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will you be buying the Nintendo Switch at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
re: my body is lady

Not much of a monster hunter fan. So I still don't see much incentive to play my Wii anytime soon. :/

Macabre

Gold Member

The mysteries about Nintendo's experimental helper-mode (aka the "kind code") are no more, as today Kotaku was finally able to see the innovative feature in action in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

The assistance mode will be introduced in Nintendo's marquee November title for the Wii and is officially called the Super Guide. Using it, players who struggle with the classic side-scrolling action in New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be able to let the Wii run through a level on its own, automatically playing through the content without the gamer's input. Players will have the option to re-assume control at any time.

Nintendo's attempt to introduce a special helper mode in Wii games was first reported by Kotaku in January when it came to be known, informally on this site, as the "kind code." In June, Nintendo's development director, Shigeru Miyamoto, confirmed the mode's inclusion in New Super Mario Bros., though the company seemed conflicted at the time about spilling the beans.

Any hesitation about revealing the mode ended this morning when, in a hotel demo suite in New York, Kotaku was shown how the Super Guide works. Nintendo is using this new help option to offer an unprecedented amount of in-game assistance, but it will only be available to players using the game's single-player mode who have failed at a level eight times. Nintendo's intent is to offer Super Guide as a helper for its less skilled customers and to allow its designers to make some of the game's levels devilishly difficult.

New Super Mario Bros. gives a starting player of the game five lives. So, to activate the Super Guide option this morning, a Nintendo representative had to sacrifice her Mario character five times, then use a Continue option to replenish her lives before losing the rest needed to enable the help. Once she did that, a floating green box appeared at the start of the level she had repeatedly failed at. Hitting it with Mario — the only available playable character in single-player — will restart the level in Super Guide mode. Mario is replaced with a computer-controlled Luigi, who then proceeds through the level on his own.

The recorded Luigi playthroughs are run in-engine, not as pre-recorded video. They are, essentially, the equivalent of "ghost modes" commonly available in racing games, though the player can only watch Luigi do his thing, not play alongside him with Mario.

The Nintendo rep showed Kotaku two Luigi super-guide runs. She explained that these would be simple zips through the game's levels and would not reveal shortcuts and secrets. The runs were definitely not the perfect playthroughs that a gamer might find if they searched YouTube for an expertly played Mario Bros. speed run. A more faulty human hand was evident. In fact, in this pre-release version of the game, the first Luigi run that I was shown ended prematurely when Super Guide Luigi died halfway through the level. That's not supposed to happen in the final build, Kotaku was told. In the second Luigi run, the Mario brother got through the level on his own without any trouble.

What separates Super Guide from traditional video-based playthroughs of game levels is that the player can assume control during the Luigi run. At any moment, the player can press a button and cancel the computer control of Luigi. An indicator showing that that game is in Super Guide mode stays on screen, and the player assumes control of Luigi, rather than switching to Mario. But the breakthrough in the feature is that the player is not starting the level from the beginning. They are taking control in the midst of the Super Guide run. Thanks to this, players who repeatedly struggle with a tough part of a level in New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be able to let Super Guide Luigi get past that tough part for them. Even though a player takes over as Luigi using this help system, the completion of the level counts and they can play deeper into the game.

The levels of New Super Mario Bros. Wii I saw today seemed harder than those of the last side-scrolling Mario platformer, New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. Super Guide does appear to have given Nintendo license to make the new game tougher and may provide the relief some players need to get to the end of the latest Mario world-hopping adventure.
"Kind Code" Demo Shows New Super Mario Bros on Auto-Pilot - New super mario bros. wii - Kotaku

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards

You know what I just realized? The price difference between a handheld and a full-blown console is only thirty bucks. I bet if we could say that to the people playing the Game Boy while messing around with the Nintendo 64, they would shit bricks.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

I might get a cheap modded Wii off of craigslist lol... why not right?

uh, well if you don't currently have a wii? then go for it.

otherwise, you're stupid. you can mod a wii at home for free.

S

Shadow Soldier

I don't have a Wii, and I don't feel like paying full price for a console that doesn't get full support from it's company :D

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

I like how Nintendo pretends modding is bad.

It's my console, I payed for it, I should be able to decide what I want to do with it. Silly Nintendo.

S

Shadow Soldier

I wouldn't mod it if they actually put support behind the system, instead of treating it like a gimmick.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Depends on what your definition of support is.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

I support this definition of support.

S

Shadow Soldier

∞;4518103 said:
I support this definition of support.

I support this post supporting the definition of support.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

support this post supporting a post supporting...*gets lost.*
No, I really agree Shadow's definition of support.
Did anyone hear about the Wii dumbell periphial?
And I facepalm'd at the sheer ridiculousness of it.

Back