• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Obama Goes To GOP Lions' Den --And mauls them

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze of Glory

President Obama traveled to a House Republican retreat in Baltimore on Friday and delivered a performance that was at once defiant, substantive and engaging. For roughly an hour and a half, Obama lectured GOP leaders and, in a protracted, nationally-televised question-and-answer session, deflected their policy critiques, corrected their misstatements and scolded them for playing petty politics. (Full video and transcript available HERE.)

White House officials told the Huffington Post they were absolutely ecstatic. MSNBC's Luke Russert, who was on the scene in Baltimore, relayed that a Republican official and other GOP aides had confided to him that allowing the "cameras to roll like that" was a "mistake."

So effective was the president that Fox News cut away from the broadcast 20 minutes before it ended.

It was the type of performance that Obama's supporters have long demanded and that his own aides have been eager to deliver. The question-and-answer session at the end wasn't initially supposed to be broadcast, but the White House pressured GOP leadership to bring the cameras in. They knew the optics it would generate, a source with knowledge of the planning relayed. Hours before the event began, Republican leaders finally relented.

What resulted was what one Democratic strategist described as "amazing theater" -- certainly for cable news. Standing on a stage, looking down at his Republican questioners, Obama assumed the role of responsible adult to the GOP children, or, at the very least, of a college professor teaching and lecturing a room full of students.

He chastised Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) for calling his economic agenda radical and poked fun at the GOP's own platform. "I am not an ideologue, I'm not," he said. "It doesn't make sense if somebody could tell me, 'You could do this cheaper and get increased results,' then I would say, 'Great.' The problem is, I couldn't find credible economists who could back up the claims that you just made."

He rebuked a questioner who insisted that the monthly deficit is higher now than Bush's annual deficit. "That's factually just not true," he said. "And you know it's not true." He lampooned Republican lawmakers seated in front of him for portraying his health care legislation as "some Bolshevik plot." He mocked Republicans for railing against the stimulus package and then showing up at "the ribbon-cuttings for some of these important projects in your communities." And he did it all while calling for "a tone of civility instead of slash and burn will be helpful."

Whether it was chutzpah, political savvy, or both, it certainly was refreshing. Reporters were thrilled with the British Parliament-style exchange between president and lawmakers. The Atlantic's Marc Ambinder asked that forums like these be held monthly. The Nation's Chris Hayes suggested Obama next go before the progressive caucus. Ezra Klein of the Washington Post labeled it "the most compelling political television I've seen...maybe ever. NBC's Chuck Todd added: "The president should hold Congressional 'town halls' more often. Public needs to see this if they'll ever trust Washington again."

From the narrower vantage point of the White House, the event also made for effective politics, spurring some comparisons to the type of political engagement relished by former President Bill Clinton.

"Most people thinking about this would have thought 'ooh Obama is going into the lion's den," said Dee Dee Myers, Clinton's former press secretary. "But there was a great opportunity to jujitsu that. On one level it looked brave but on another he was the substitute teacher there, lecturing the audience.

"A lot of us have been waiting for that moment, a little more fight, a little more politics," she added. "He is in a political business and he has to pay attention to not just the substance but the politics."

Link

YouTube - President Obama Takes Questions at GOP House Issues Conference

No teleprompters

Spent half-an hour there

Destroyed every Republican in the room

AWESOME

Just plain mega fucking win of epic proportions omgsh

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
No teleprompters
I laughed.

Too bad he couldn't do that for a 3rd-grade classroom.

Destroyed every Republican in the room
Because every Republican takes it against themselves to make Obama's life miserable and poo-poo on his decisions and the poor defenseless Obama retaliated to protect himself right

right

are we really going to discuss anything?
"Obama said this Obama said that discuss" :l

And you sound like Glenn Beck...just playing for the opposite team
"WE PWNDZ THEMSZZ1!!!!1"

Fox News cut away from the broadcast 20 minutes before it ended.

This, however, if true, pisses me off.
I thought you always wanted your viewers to see the whole picture, Fox?
:l

Last edited:

Blaze of Glory

I laughed.

Dogwut

Sometimes it's the teleprompter and sometimes it's him speaking. He wanted to prove that he doesn't abuse it like everyone says he does.

Because every Republican takes it against themselves to make Obama's life miserable and poo-poo on his decisions and the poor defenseless Obama retaliated to protect himself right

Very mature stance you're taking. lettuce

are we really going to discuss anything?
"Obama said this Obama said that discuss" :l

I'm sorry I thought this was the sub-form where you can discuss anything news related

And you sound like Glenn Beck...just playing for the opposite team
"WE PWNDZ THEMSZZ1!!!!1"

Pfft, Glenn Beck can't spell for shit and leads a miserable life living in his parents basements bitching about how people call him a girl for crying on air.

Now, I'm the one laughing.

A

Azrael

Looks like Obama pawned them. Finally he stands up for himself but really OP is being one sided here.

Blaze of Glory

Looks like Obama pawned them. Finally he stands up for himself but really OP is being one sided here.

Just because I'm not commenting on their performance doesn't mean I'm one-sided. I've long been fair to the Republican party but my patience is slowly wearing thin. Not to mention it's difficult to forgive and forget what the past 8 horrific years have been like, especially since we are just beginning to feel their ill-affects with high unemployment, the trillion dollar deficit, and two wars raging on. But, if the GOPers would work at true bi-partisanship to begin to tackle the problems we the people are experiencing, instead of being the party of NO!, then perhaps what the era of GW Bush tore down can be built up again. No matter what the FOX Network puts out, the people of this country know the score.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Blaze of Glory said:
Very mature stance you're taking.

Blaze of Glory said:
Glenn Beck can't spell for shit and leads a miserable life living in his parents basements bitching about how people call him a girl for crying on air.
Blaze of Glory said:
Just plain mega fucking win of epic proportions

lmfao

Blaze of Glory said:
the past 8 horrific years have been like

I'm sorry, but lol. Sure the past 8 years have been many things, but horrific?
You've clearly never been outside of the United States.

I'm sorry I thought this was the sub-form where you can discuss anything news related

All things are permissable, not all things are beneficial.

Blaze of Glory

So it's inappropriate for me to act amazed how cool one army debating machine Obama is?

I'm sorry, but lol. Sure the past 8 years have been many things, but horrific?
You've clearly never been outside of the United States.

What about outside the states?

Stepping outside of the states when Bush was president is a guaranteed stupid decision considering his tenture was like that of a mad dictator with his "Either you're with us or against us" bullshit. You are far too lenient on the GOP friend.

All things are permissable, not all things are beneficial.

So it's not beneficial to know about how knowledgeable your president is and able to refute the GOP's claims of having a bogus plan?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
So it's inappropriate for me to act amazed how cool one army debating machine Obama is?
It's just funny to hear you talk about maturity.

What about outside the states?

Stepping outside of the states when Bush was president is a guaranteed stupid decision considering his tenture was like that of a mad dictator with his "Either you're with us or against us" bullshit. You are far too lenient on the GOP friend.
Man please let me know when you realize there is a far more horrific world outside of the quaint suburb you know as the United States.
inb4Haiti

Its so funny to observe your reactions, Dogen.

do tell.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
Its like watching a conservative pundit on FoxNews try to throw together a statement to do damage control after some aggressive Obama press event after a night of hard liquor and no sex from his girlfriend.

krexia

Translator
Awards
Yes, up until now Obama's use of teleprompters when delivering pre-prepared speeches has implied that he can't think on his feet. Single-handedly addressing and refuting the questions and criticisms of GOP leaders proves that he most definitely can.

No-one's accusing all Republicans of being petty partisans - but with the GOP making statements like, “If we’re able to stop Obama on [healthcare] it will be his Waterloo. It will break him,” it's hard not to admit some truth to the accusation of obstructionism. Concession after concession has been made in the healthcare bill, and it still garners just a single House Republican vote, and zero Senate support?

I love the British Parliament's question time. More countries should have real debates like this, and I can't wait to see the full video when I get home.

Man please let me know when you realize there is a far more horrific world outside of the quaint suburb you know as the United States.
Are you saying there isn't a single country that is better-run than the USA?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Its like looking twenty years into the future.
I don't think Fox News or this country for that matter will survive 20 years into the future at this rate.

Are you saying there isn't a single country that is better-run than the USA?

I'm saying the fact that he considers the past 8 years of a comfortable life in the United States "horrific" to be proof of just how shallow his understanding of the word is.

Yes, up until now Obama's use of teleprompters when delivering pre-prepared speeches has implied that he can't think on his feet. Single-handedly addressing and refuting the questions and criticisms of GOP leaders proves that he most definitely can.

Awesome. I look forward to him doing more of that.

“If we’re able to stop Obama on [healthcare] it will be his Waterloo. It will break him,” it's hard not to admit some truth to the accusation of obstructionism. Concession after concession has been made in the healthcare bill, and it still garners just a single House Republican vote, and zero Senate support?

The way they talk about "breaking him" is retarded. I know that. I don't like the way some people talk about others like they aren't human beings, rather an object.
As for healthcare, that's something different entirely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back