• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Photoshop beginner... sort of.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
So I've been wanting to get back to my art since forever. I haven't used Photoshop or drawn in like... 4 years! Once I finished my photoshop class in High School, I just stopped. I stopped drawing and just did things I had to do. So now I'm doing photoshop again and am a bit worried. The last software I used was like CS3 or CS4... and I found CS2 free from Adobe. Is there any difference between the software? And do any of you have any tips or advice for an "beginner"?

I made something, just to test the software a bit. So please go easy on me!

1VIORWH.gif
I was just experimenting with color schemes and layers to see what I can do for effect. I was also trying to change colors from a picture. I took this from the KH manga and just changed the colors around, but the skin was not working? So I had to color the skin color myself.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Would you happen to have a link to the original image? I can give you a better comparison and critique seeing what you did and how you manipulated it from the original :)

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I totally haven't already made an avatar out of that page... it was so funny.

I think you should work on putting the colours in yourself, like you did with the skin. It looks a little low in quality otherwise. It's good though for a beginner.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I totally haven't already made an avatar out of that page... it was so funny.

I think you should work on putting the colours in yourself, like you did with the skin. It looks a little low in quality otherwise. It's good though for a beginner.

Thank you... but how do I fix it? Because when I tried to replace the white area with skin, it didn't let me. So I had to mess around with the color and ended up with that.

btw... I <3 your sig! Yu is awesome! <3 <3 <3

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
Thank you... but how do I fix it? Because when I tried to replace the white area with skin, it didn't let me. So I had to mess around with the color and ended up with that.

btw... I <3 your sig! Yu is awesome! <3 <3 <3
I just paint on top of it with the paint brush... But I have a graphics tablet so it's easier for me to do it that way. Why wouldn't it let you change the skin colour? What did you do? I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this...

Thank you. C: He is!

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I just paint on top of it with the paint brush... But I have a graphics tablet so it's easier for me to do it that way. Why wouldn't it let you change the skin colour? What did you do? I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this...

Thank you. C: He is!

Well everytime I tried to fill it out, it would just do the black lines, not the white. So I assume that anything white is unable to be changed.

My fave character! He's a boss! xD

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
Well everytime I tried to fill it out, it would just do the black lines, not the white. So I assume that anything white is unable to be changed.

My fave character! He's a boss! xD
Are you using the paint bucket tool by any chance? It isn't a very good thing to use when you're colouring from a manga scan.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
ah! I was... for color replacement! So what should I do? Just color it in?
Yeah, don't use the paint bucket unless you're certain every pixel is the same colour, otherwise it won't colour it all in. I would paint it all in, do you have a graphics tablet? If not, then you could try using the pen tool to select an area and colour it in like that, but the pen tool is a bit hard to use sometimes.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
Yeah, don't use the paint bucket unless you're certain every pixel is the same colour, otherwise it won't colour it all in. I would paint it all in, do you have a graphics tablet? If not, then you could try using the pen tool to select an area and colour it in like that, but the pen tool is a bit hard to use sometimes.

okay! Thanks! I'll try just that! :3 Does that apply for old version of Photoshop as well?

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
VyOj1ay.gif

I fixed it somewhat. Changed the skin a tad bit since I was looking at pics of him and seemed tanner. Gave goofy the same treatment and worked on the hair a bit.

Dark Drive

Awards
I think you've done a great job on fixing all the colors - whenever I even try to use the paint bucket I usually end up with a LOT of loose white pixels.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
VyOj1ay.gif

I fixed it somewhat. Changed the skin a tad bit since I was looking at pics of him and seemed tanner. Gave goofy the same treatment and worked on the hair a bit.
That is a lot better. The lines look a bit messy in places but that will get better with more practice.

Also I've just noticed that you've saved these as gifs, don't save still images as gifs. PNG is the best way to go.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Yo, it looks pretty decent, the second one at least. CS2 isn't going to be the best program for drawing/coloring in. So, I suggest you find somebody who has a newer version of PS. I happened to discover my boss had CS5 for the church I work at. So, I get free dibs on that. I suggest asking around a little.

As of now though, it looks fine. I would be interested to see you tag.

(it's nostalgia month, so some of the sigs and avvys around here are on the pooptastic side, take note.)

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
Yo, it looks pretty decent, the second one at least. CS2 isn't going to be the best program for drawing/coloring in. So, I suggest you find somebody who has a newer version of PS. I happened to discover my boss had CS5 for the church I work at. So, I get free dibs on that. I suggest asking around a little.

As of now though, it looks fine. I would be interested to see you tag.

(it's nostalgia month, so some of the sigs and avvys around here are on the pooptastic side, take note.)

Thank you! yeah I know but it's the free version so... xD

My friend has CS5... I guess I can ask her.

Tag? What's that? Like tagging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back