• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronounciation: Xion?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
i'm kinda glad they chose the japanese pronunciation. it sounds more feminine for her. though zie-on could work too i guess.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Its Shi-on in the game, the way Roxas spams it by the end of the game makes me pretty sick of the name already. To be perfectly honest it's a good name, though. Apparently it's supposed to have some link with Forget-me-Nots, which is some flower.

Oh, and is it spelt pronunciation or pronounciation? From where I am I learn British English, and it is pronunciation, I remembered how many times I got nailed for that in my reading practices.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
To be perfectly honest it's a good name, though. Apparently it's supposed to have some link with Forget-me-Nots, which is some flower.

goldpanner said:
*No.i (first experiment)
*No I (no sense of self, like No Heart=Xeonhart)
*it's pronounced 'shion' in Japanese, and just as Kairi = kai = ocean, Namine = nami = wave, Xion = shio = tide/sea water
*the aster flower, called 'shion' in Japanese, can symbolise memories and an 'afterthought'.
*the directors have said that the use of the letter i in No.i was a reference to the mathematical i, as in imaginary numbers, or 'numbers that do not exist'...

They put a lot of thought into it, that's for sure!

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
シオン as far as i know translates to Shi-o-n... and in all the cut scenes it is pronounced shion so i guess it is shi on...
Though i Like the Zion pronunciation better.... probably because its my cousin's name and it feels more natural.

Allister Rose

French Lover
the japanese pronociation is shee-own. with not much of the w sound in it.

english pronounce it pretty much the same...but ireally wanted the Z instead of the sh

kaialone

Its pronounced Shee-on in japanese and in english. Fun Fact did you know das Xigbar is pronounced Sheek-bar?

WwhiptailwW

I say Zee-on or Shee-on

But this reminds me of when I found out how to pronounce Marluxia... ugh... I thought it was Marlucksia. Marloosha just sounds stupid!

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
iT IS pronounced zee-on, as all other names or words beginnig with X always have the zee sound, duh? (i.e. xylophone, Xemnas, Xaldin etc. all except for Chinese words like "Xialon" which is pronounced "sha-ow-lin")

EXACTLY.

The pronunciation for the letter "x" is different in countries, but as for the English, it's pretty clear the way it's suppose to sound like. I don't get why they had to follow the Japanese pronunciation at all when it isn't like that and there's the English equivalent. Put "Xion" in an American's, or any other English speaking person, eyes, and see how they will say it. Zee-on. Marluxia suffered the same thing.

And it clashes with the rest of the Organization members whose name start with an "X". How come Xion is any different from Xemnas or Xigbar? How come Zexion, whose Xion's name is at the end, is so contrasting?

Honestly, I'm not going to call her "Shee-on". And when I don't, I'm not "wrong" at all in the way I'll say it. I'll keep it "Zee-on" the same way I keep Marluxia as "Marlucks-sia". As I posted before:

English: X is a double consonant or, rather, a sign for the compound consonants [ks]; or sometimes when followed by an accented syllable beginning with a vowel, or when followed by silent h and an accented vowel [ɡz] (e.g. exhaust, exam); usually [z] at the beginnings of words (e.g. xylophone), and in some compounds keeps the [z] sound, as in (e.g. meta-xylene). It also makes the sound [kʃ] in words ending in -xion (typically used only in British-based spellings of the language; American spellings tend to use -ction). It can also represent the sounds [ɡʒ] or [kʃ], for example, in the words luxury and sexual, respectively. Final x is always [ks] (e.g. ax/axe) except in loan words such as faux (see French, below). In abbreviations, it can represent "trans-" (e.g. XMIT for transmit, XFER for transfer), "cross-" (e.g. X-ing for crossing; XREF for cross-reference), "Christ" (e.g. Xmas for Christmas; Xian for Christian), the "Crys" in Crystal (XTAL), or various words starting with "ex" (e.g. XL for extra large; XOR for exclusive-or).

Allister Rose

French Lover
EXACTLY.

The pronunciation for the letter "x" is different in countries, but as for the English, it's pretty clear the way it's suppose to sound like. I don't get why they had to follow the Japanese pronunciation at all when it isn't like that and there's the English equivalent. Put "Xion" in an American's, or any other English speaking person, eyes, and see how they will say it. Zee-on. Marluxia suffered the same thing.

And it clashes with the rest of the Organization members whose name start with an "X". How come Xion is any different from Xemnas or Xigbar? How come Zexion, whose Xion's name is at the end, is so contrasting?

Honestly, I'm not going to call her "Shee-on". And when I don't, I'm not "wrong" at all in the way I'll say it. I'll keep it "Zee-on" the same way I keep Marluxia as "Marlucks-sia". As I posted before:

i'm really glad i'm not alone on this.....i think zee-on would have been perfect...it would confuse the younger players since they dont always look up information like shion and stuff

Sparks

gone
I always thought that it was pronounced Zion, then finally I started calling her Shion. I also thought it was Marluckzia. I was like WTF when i heard them say Marloosha.

Allister Rose

French Lover
i still kinda argue with people about this...i mean if we stuck to all of the "Sh" in the pronunciation, shouldn't zexion be pronounced zekshion? and shouldn't xigbar be pronounced shigbar instead of zigbar? i mean the romanji shows "sh" in there name, so why englsih version keep it at "ks" and "z"?and then all of a sudden we have marluxia and xion, who have names like she-on and marlusha....it just bothers me a bit....(actually a whole lot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back