• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Resolution of Sora and Kairi's relationship

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It would seem that the topic of whether or not romance should be relevant in the kh series is divided among the fanbase. Some fans feel it should be fleshed out more, while other fans feel that it pales in comparison to the theme of friendship. Out of all of my fears and hopes out of kh3, my biggest concern and hope is how the relationship between sora and kairi will be handled in kh3. Ive talked about this in the riku love interest thread, and i thought i would go further into detail. The relationship between sora and kairi has obvious romantic implications behind it. Even fans who dont want romance in the kh series cannot deny that, as there are numerous examples from the game (i wont make a list as im sure all of you know them). The big question is how big of an issue will it be in kh3. Given all of the existing plot points, the relationship could either be cast aside, or be one of the central plot points. Its hard to say were nomura will go with this relationship, though i am keeping my fingers crossed for the latter. Even if they dont end up a couple by the end of kh3, i would like some sort of resolution to that. Its hard to say what role kairi will play in kh3, but i assume she is going to have an active role alongside sora, giving a chance for them to develop their romace (without distracting from the other plot point). What do you guys think: do you want their relationship to develop, or would you rather it be pushed aside? Do you want a resolution or leave it up to our imagination? Can nomura fit in romance alongside the other more urgent issues? Let me know what you think

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I want their friendship built up first. I just don't believe in their romantic relationship because, despite how often they present that Kairi and Sora do have a crush on each other, they don't interact beyond the very brief times shown. I hardly remember Kairi as a character because she isn't in the forefront like Sora or Riku and I want to see her developed as a strong character, so I wouldn't want her to fall into the JRPG cliche of being the love interest whose character is built up on her romantic ties to a character.

I want to see Kairi and Sora joke around, fight together, and build each other's character without it resulting in them getting together at the end of the game. And I also want to see the entire SRK friendship developed more rather than it being Sora + Riku, Sora + Kairi, Riku + Kairi.

I'd much rather see SRK share a paopu together than Sora and Kairi. If it happens, fine. I won't hate it, but just as long as Kairi is fleshed out as a character and a friend to Sora before being his romantic interest.

In the end, leaving it up to the fan's imagination would be the best route in my opinion because at least then there'd be something for SoKai fans to look forward to in the next saga, and nobody can say all that childish stuff like "MY SHIP IS CANON AND YOURS ISN'T" because it will happen and I've seen fandoms get nasty over stuff like that (in example ATLA/LoK with Kataang & Makorra)

Also Nomura finds romance to be just as important as family is, which is not very important in the grand scheme of things.

kostas

Awards
Personally i would like if romance is left only behind hints and implications and not something very obvious. The main theme is friendship and romance may overshadow it

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I think Master more or less covered my feelings on the matter. I don't care for the romance much and rather they focus on SRK's friendship because on top of me not buying Sora and Kairi as a "couple" they're not even really developed as friends. While I'd rather the romance element not be there I'd be okay with it if they at least develop it well enough instead of having Kairi be the Designated Love Interest but I can't take them seriously because that's all she's been. Barely.

Then there's the issue that Nomura just plain doesn't care. Part of the reason why Sora and Kairi's relationship was thrown to the way side was because I doubt that it was ever meant to be serious, just semi cute fluff. After everything that's happened I like to think that they love each, but on a level that's beyond "romantic". The best way for me to explain it is that I think they love each other on "spiritual" level because of how their hearts literally connected.

XIII RoXaS XIII

Awards
I agree with most stuff here, especially with most romantic anime I find that they have a lot of special moments before they finally kiss or show some romantic love for each other in some sort. I find this type of thing though work better with tv anime series as you have time to grow and understand each character each week until when they finally have some sort of closure to a series and they have that final kiss that you have spent weeks watching each episode. It is much more emotional. Whereas with a game you can finish it in less than 2 days if you really play it a lot. Fitting Kairi's and Sora's relationship into one game is going to be a doozy.

What I am trying to get at is that Sora and Kairi haven't really spent time with each other and I don't think a game gives much of that cute closure that a tv series offers. Fitting a whole build up for a relationship in one game is going to be really hard to pull off well. Plus I don't think Sora and Kairi have any romantic love for each other. the whole paopu fruit think pretty well answers that. just to be able to be together forever thing sums up what 3 will do.

I think that Nomura might do it due to popular demand but I'm still fine with a happy ending. Don't get me wrong, its a ending that I wouldn't mind seeing. I just have never seen them as a romantic couple just as friends. besides riku will be jealous. =)

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
I'd rather Sora stay in that gay best friend zone; given how they're the main trio, SRK should remain faithful to the friendship concepts that the series is built on. If Nomura wants to incorporate romance into the series, I'd rather he introduce new characters instead.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Then there's the issue that Nomura just plain doesn't care. Part of the reason why Sora and Kairi's relationship was thrown to the way side was because I doubt that it was ever meant to be serious, just semi cute fluff. After everything that's happened I like to think that they love each, but on a level that's beyond "romantic". The best way for me to explain it is that I think they love each other on "spiritual" level because of how their hearts literally connected.

I cannot pinpoint it anymore since it is so old, but I dimly remember there being some information going around that in the very first concept for KH Nomura didn't even include the character Kairi because he didn't intend on any romance-elements for the original characters, yet it was Disney who wanted a main female lead included as a "love interest" for the main character (because apparently no story can go without that).
But yeah, Nomura himself doesn't care much about romance and over the course of the series it has been fleshed out more and more that Sora is someone who loves everyone connected to him on a "spiritual" layer through their hearts and is also not afraid to show that physically.

The kicker for Kairi here is that up to now she isn't even really included firmly in Sora's tight circle of friends, we see much more "love" from Sora directed to Donald, Goofy, Naminé, Riku, heck, even Roxas as of DDD than we see actual interaction between him and Kairi outside of KH 1.

So while I agree on the notion that Kairi needs to be more involved and actually interact, not just with Sora but with the entire cast, I can otherwise only underwrite what Spockanort wrote, as me elaborating on my views would just repeat the points she made already.

So in short: More involvement of Kairi, hell yes, please! Cheesy romance and favoritism, hell no, especially not as a central point!

(I guess this would have made also a good poll.)

Sorarocks93

Awards
Well, he could simply put romance in the next Saga. Since they are (I really hope they are) going to be older. Nomura said that Sora will allways be the main protagonist. He never said Donald and Goofy will allways follow him. So I really hope that in the next Saga we will have Kairi as a party member.

Now they are just kids. Frienship matters most at this point.

Besides, wasn't romance hinted in CoM? I mean the game is all about hearts for Tinkerbell's sake. I believe friendship and love should be the most important parts.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Besides, wasn't romance hinted in CoM? I mean the game is all about hearts for Tinkerbell's sake. I believe friendship and love should be the most important parts.
That's actually the typical first impression, until you start to realize that the series is more so about unbreakable bonds, the power to connect lives/worlds, the question of existence, and time travel. And, of course, darkness. Sometimes I feel the developers focus more on character physiology than character development.

Ruran

Awards
I cannot pinpoint it anymore since it is so old, but I dimly remember there being some information going around that in the very first concept for KH Nomura didn't even include the character Kairi because he didn't intend on any romance-elements for the original characters, yet it was Disney who wanted a main female lead included as a "love interest" for the main character (because apparently no story can go without that).
But yeah, Nomura himself doesn't care much about romance and over the course of the series it has been fleshed out more and more that Sora is someone who loves everyone connected to him on a "spiritual" layer through their hearts and is also not afraid to show that physically.

I've heard of that before, how Disney wanted a female lead as a love-interest, but apparently the interview is unable to be located? It's one of those interviews that some people are aware of but no one has been able to source it. It seems to be more well known by word of mouth. Though if it is true it sure would explain how Kairi's been handled in the series. It's almost amazing how she's the least involved and developed of the major characters. And one of the oldest to boot. She was what? The second character to be introduced? Third if you count Mickey's voice as an "introduction".

The kicker for Kairi here is that up to now she isn't even really included firmly in Sora's tight circle of friends, we see much more "love" from Sora directed to Donald, Goofy, Naminé, Riku, heck, even Roxas as of DDD than we see actual interaction between him and Kairi outside of KH 1.

So while I agree on the notion that Kairi needs to be more involved and actually interact, not just with Sora but with the entire cast, I can otherwise only underwrite what Spockanort wrote, as me elaborating on my views would just repeat the points she made already.

The issue is that she's more included on a "say so" bases. While most of the characters have meaningful interactions with Sora, Kairi's relationship with him is "developed" from a "distance". e.g. using Namine as a proxy to say that Sora and Kairi's bond became stronger through her.

Indeed, I can't not agree with that.

So in short: More involvement of Kairi, hell yes, please! Cheesy romance and favoritism, hell no, especially not as a central point!

(I guess this would have made also a good poll.)

tbh, I don't really care what they do with Kairi in the future. It's been too long and too many games so I don't think she can ever become redeemable to me. I might like her "more" in comparison to how I feel about her now depending on how she's handled but I don't think I can ever truly like her.

Sorarocks93

Awards
tbh, I don't really care what they do with Kairi in the future. It's been too long and too many games so I don't think she can ever become redeemable to me. I might like her "more" in comparison to how I feel about her now depending on how she's handled but I don't think I can ever truly like her.

Even if she becomes a main protagonist in the future? Like say, a permanent party member?

Ruran

Awards
Even if she becomes a main protagonist in the future? Like say, a permanent party member?

She's already a main protagonist, lol. Let's just say that this is part of the lasting issue I have with her character. Though to answer your question, no, I doubt I'd be able to bring myself to care even then.

Sorarocks93

Awards
She's already a main protagonist, lol. Let's just say that this is part of the lasting issue I have with her character. Though to answer your question, no, I doubt I'd be able to bring myself to care even then.

Yeah but she definitely didn't feel like one.

TBH I don't hate her at all. I just want Nomura to make her better. It saddens me that people don't want a romance in KH. It's the reason FFVIII is my favorite FF, well that and the OST of course, and if they add it in KH, for me it will become something much greater.

Well there is always hope in the next saga(s).

Ruran

Awards

TBH I don't hate her at all. I just want Nomura to make her better. It saddens me that people don't want a romance in KH. It's the reason FFVIII is my favorite FF, well that and the OST of course, and if they add it in KH, for me it will become something much greater.

Which is part of the issue I have with her character. If after a decade and seven games your main character doesn't feel like a main character I think it's time to let go.

I don't strictly "hate" her either, it's more a mix of apathy and dislike. I don't hate her but I don't really see a reason to like her either outside of a positive personality trait tor two. People don't want romance because it's really not a contributing factor and it really shouldn't have to be. I over all dislike the idea that throwing romance into anything will make everything better. Granted, it fits in certain things, not just KH. I think adding romance would just digress from the point.

Just skip straight to the sex

No one takes my Everyone X Everyone pairing seriously. :C

*scuttles away before topic descends into debauchery again*

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I've heard of that before, how Disney wanted a female lead as a love-interest, but apparently the interview is unable to be located? It's one of those interviews that some people are aware of but no one has been able to source it. It seems to be more well known by word of mouth. Though if it is true it sure would explain how Kairi's been handled in the series. It's almost amazing how she's the least involved and developed of the major characters. And one of the oldest to boot. She was what? The second character to be introduced? Third if you count Mickey's voice as an "introduction".

Yea, that's what bothers me quite a bit as I normally tend to not make a claim about something without providing the source of it, but I couldn't locate it.
It would explain some things, but contradict some others like the premise of Chain of Memories, although I guess if that first concept had been used the premise for CoM would have been also different.
Yep, that gives her whole role a sort of bitter irony, as apparently only now towards the finale Nomura has found a way to use her properly instead of being the cliché Sora-fangirl who swoons over him or being the "trophy" the good guys have to chase after.
Indeed, she was the second/third character to be introduced and the initial hours I actually expected her to play somewhat more of an active role.

The issue is that she's more included on a "say so" bases. While most of the characters have meaningful interactions with Sora, Kairi's relationship with him is "developed" from a "distance". e.g. using Namine as a proxy to say that Sora and Kairi's bond became stronger through her.

Indeed, I can't not agree with that.

Correct, she's almost always included only by proxy, and that's what actually bothers me because I think it's unfair towards her as character.
I stand firmly by my opinion that she shouldn't be elevated to actual romantic partner, putting her above anyone else in Sora's circle of friends, but she should be included at least on the same level than Riku, Naminé, Roxas, Donald and Goofy are.
Due to their very deep connection shared since Sora's birth I expect Sora to develop also some meaningful and intense bonding with Ventus in KH 3, and possibly also on a lesser scale with Aqua, Terra and Xion.
They should use the opportunity and include Kairi in that group too.

Already three minds that think alike. ;)

That's of course all a matter of opinion. I also won't say that she might ever become one of my favorite characters, but I don't really dislike her.

I personally see Kairi as a character with potential, but I would want her potential to be used more wisely than just have her swoon over Sora and clutter up the narrative with needless cheesy romance.
Her being a Princess of Heart and the associated powers/abilities that may come with that, as well how it can affect her interactions with other characters (not just Sora) is a potential for character development that has been totally unused in the series up to now.

That's called different tastes I'd say, as I recall many people also resenting FF VIII due to its overboarding focus on the romance element, which was if I recall correctly the second most voiced complaint after the new Junction System.
Fact is that nearly all TV series, movies or games nowadays apparently have to have a romance plot in it. The Kingdom Hearts series with its focus more on really deep friendhips, which is also a form of love and has the advantage of not shutting out/sidelining some people (read: Romance SoKai shuts out Riku, the friendship approach includes all three) is a refreshing departure from that cliché for quite some fans.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Considering the stories I have to deal with forced Romance, No to that and to Kairi, characters like her will have to take time to develop and we don't know her future so it's not like she's forgotten... why does this issues simaliar to FT's issue with two girls?

I'm on Spock and Sephiroth's side on this. I want their friendship to grow, they can crush, flirt, care for one another all you want, but I want to see their friendship, their interaction, them working together.

Awards
I'm on the 'develop their friendship' side as well. As affectionate as Sora is I don't think there will be any shortage of 'love' between the two of them. Though I have to ask you guys, just how do you think Sora would handle a romantic relationship? I have a feeling he'd be as about out of his element as when he tried to use that computer in Radiant Garden. XD

What I would really like to see is the events on some of the worlds being directed towards building Sora, Kairi, AND Riku's relationship together. Kind of like how the Three Musketeers world reinforced Mickey Donald and Goofy's friendship.

Sorarocks93

Awards
I don't get why romance is considered cheesy. What's more is I don't get why people think that if there was romance, Kairi's purpose would be to only be there for Sora and be mentioned as his "significant other". That's not how it works.

The way to make to make her interesting and create a romance between the two of them is to make her own character someone special just as Sora and Riku is.

Make her so that she is able to stand for herself. Not being weak and someone who can take the situation in their own hands. Like Aqua. Of course she will have a different personality though.

After they made her character just as important as Sora's and just as strong, THEN they should make her love Sora more than just a friend.

Just because love can exist between 2 characters doesn't mean the female has always got to be the "damsel in distress" type.

And in order to not make it cheesy then don't mention how much they love each other every 5 seconds. Just make it known once and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back