• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Resume/Portfolio Help?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
'Kay so I was referred to a graphic design job a few days ago and it hit me that I didn't have any kind of resume to submit upon going to the interview. I've been doing this shit for years and I don't even know where to begin with this kind of situation. So yeah, I need help with the basics of the basics :<

Suggestions?

D

Deleted member 36435

Have you done any graphic design aside from signatures/avatars?

If not throw some Photo Manips together, make up a poster, do some typography, etc. Just work on doing what I would deem as "practical" graphic design.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Yeah I mean for the past couple months I've messed around with a few other genres of graphic design outside of KHI. My main concern is displaying versatility and whether or not 4 posters would be more appealing than 4 works of typography.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
I would do two of your best posters and then two of your best Typography pieces. Throw in some LPs and some tags too. Just to show you know what you are doing with serious pieces as well as recreational things.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Never mind then. Don't listen to me, I obviously don't know what I am talking about.

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
Have you done any graphic design aside from signatures/avatars?

If not throw some Photo Manips together, make up a poster, do some typography, etc. Just work on doing what I would deem as "practical" graphic design.

This.

Keep in mind the needs of the company and show them what they'll want to see. Also just google graphic design portfolios and look at what other people have.

EDIT: Also if you've done any print work (e.g. newspapers, magazines) then using those would be a plus since it shows you also have some print skills.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
I submitted a few portfolio pieces that I've made here. (also remember, any piece you submit/make 1000x1000 minimum bro. and DONT EVER UPSCALE.)

Aim for prolific typographical pieces.

Ask the question (tip from khi member: Imagination) What is the Call to Action?
Examine what your piece is supposed to uphold or represent.

Print work, like Jaxx said is great, Amphetamine posted a few of his on here for a reference. >_> if Oberon's DA was still up, you could check his print work he does for The Clarion.

Vicodin

relative power
Go and find a company's shitty pamphlet, and redesign it. Text work works, but it's not a huge thing. Companies like to see that you can do professional "boring" stuff with grace. Add things that are flashy, but do some down to earth stuff too. Design a logo. You can do a website, but don't do something that would be for a site like KHI or even an artist's personal webpage. Find a stock image of a bowl of fruit or bread or something and make an advertisement. Things like that work well; things like that you'll more than likely find in someone's portfolio if they've been in the graphic design field for years.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Thanks all. I'll definitely consider your input and post my final result before I actually submit it.

Color Me Evil

versus
Awards
even though I've been in school for a few years, this is what I brought to a design interview:

several months of a 12 month calendar I designed
logo and menu design for a company of my own creation
redesign of a logo and branding for a museum (complete stationary package)
several magazine spreads for a magazine of my own creation
one magazine spread adapted to an iPad

you don't need a lot, just enough that shows your variety and talent

Davey

durp.
even though I've been in school for a few years, this is what I brought to a design interview:

several months of a 12 month calendar I designed
logo and menu design for a company of my own creation
redesign of a logo and branding for a museum (complete stationary package)
several magazine spreads for a magazine of my own creation
one magazine spread adapted to an iPad

you don't need a lot, just enough that shows your variety and talent

This is basically it. Just show a range of what you can do to highlight your strengths. Make sure you're polished and professional. Resume, cover letter and a portfolio of your best work. Make sure you have your own logo/identifier too. Tags are ok as long as you have a lot on one sheet, just so you're not wasting time going through like 30 small pieces, just show a huge chuck of one thing, like a package design or poster, something that's bigger than 1000x1000 px so they get the majority of what you're offering. Tags can show things like color theory and composition but show more "graphic design" aspects. And if they ask about other things you don't have just tell them that you're not so versed in those things but would like to be better.

All the best to you with your interviews and what not. This is what I have learned to do in the VSFX community but I figure (with sig work and my major now) it's good enough to support yourself as an artist.

Also, google graphic designers and look at their websites and portfolios and judge off of what they have and add your own influence to it. Doesn't hurt to see what some professionals have and are promoting to help you out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back