• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Romance in KH

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdistan

I'm replaying COM and when Sora is on Destiny Islands, the trio Tidus Wakka and Selphie all state how Sora is completely in love with that girl and that they will leave them alone and stuff like that. Surely that means Sora at least knows what love is, in the romantic sense, and since the fake memories where what caused the trio to say these things, that means the memories that Namine planted were of him being in love with her, or at least having some sort of feelings towards her that weren't strictly platonic.

are there any other references of love in the series that I have missed?

P.S can someone explain to me what some people mean when they said romance doesn't exist in the KH canon.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It was never said that romantic love in KH canon does not exist. It was only pointed out that romance does not play an important or prominent role because KH's main focus is on strong friendships and bonds between hearts in general.

Of course all the rabid shippers (regardless if Het, yuri or yaoi) tend to either overlook that or flat out ignore it to make romance look more important than it really is.

Awards
When you say romance in KH, I assume you just mean with the original characters? As opposed the obvious shipping we have of Disney characters and the married King and Queen. Sora surely knows what romance is, and is implied to "like" Kairi, but that's up to interpretation, since, like Sephy said, the main theme is friendship. CoM probably had the most implied romance, but it's still only clear that Sora, Riku, and Kairi are best friends, and that's what been important thus far.

Sora daydreaming about Kairi and himself dancing is one of the bigger hints, I suppose.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What Sephiroth and Mega said. It's not that there isn't hints of romance, but it is more the fact that friendship and the bonds of hearts are much more important in this series.

Um, the scene where Kairi and Sora hug was a hint of romance, I suppose. :v I saw it more like two good friends that haven't seen each other in over a year.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Um, the scene where Kairi and Sora hug was a hint of romance, I suppose. :v

People tend to overlook that scene and pay more attention to Sora crying over Riku seconds later.

What people are not realizing there is that Sora knew where Kairi was and that she was safe, but with Riku he had no idea he was even alive or well.

But anyways, yeah, that's a relevant scene. It's more implied that it's romantic by Donald and Goofy's reactions in the background.

Awards
People tend to overlook that scene and pay more attention to Sora crying over Riku seconds later.

What people are not realizing there is that Sora knew where Kairi was and that she was safe, but with Riku he had no idea he was even alive or well.

But anyways, yeah, that's a relevant scene. It's more implied that it's romantic by Donald and Goofy's reactions in the background.

We have to keep in mind that Donald and Goofy are active SoKai shippers. Some shippers take whatever they can as romantic hints. I know- I have a lot of ships that I just barely defend. /KaiSelph FTW :p

But, that scene did seem to be going for romantic undertones, just seemed more of a reunion between friends where one friend wasn't sure if he could face the other(Sora was apologizing after all, he kinda still hadn't fulfilled his promise) and the other was just glad to see them again(A whole year forgetting that your best friend exists and just knowing something was missing somehow? Ouch.) So, it depends on your view.

Oh, year, Donald and Goofy teasing Sora about it are romantic hints as well, I think. But then again, those shippers and their silly shipping.

I want SoRiKai to be endgame, rather than Sokai.

Youniquee

Awards
Does romance exist in KH canon? We just don't know. Until Nomura says Sora loves Kairi or they admit this to each other then...I don't think it does. The game is more about friendship and it's okay how it is, imo. Leave the romance to the shippers~ hehe.
I can't find any other hints...hmm <O>_<O>

EDIT: The hug at TWTNW...that was pretty cute. More on the friendship side though...but then DDD kind of balances that out at the end xD

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's also interesting to see (from a psychological perspective) that when a scene of emotional and affectionate closeness is displayed and the participants are of different sexes it is very often directly interpreted as going towards romance by many despite such a thing as friendship and love (in a non-romantic/sexual way) can also exist between a male and female. Just like the opposite is also possible for same sex-combinations, but there almost always the opposite is directly assumed.

Awards
It's also interesting to see (from a psychological perspective) that when a scene of emotional and affectionate closeness is displayed and the participants are of different sexes it is very often directly interpreted as going towards romance by many despite such a thing as friendship and love (in a non-romantic/sexual way) can also exist between a male and female. Just like the opposite is also possible for same sex-combinations, but there almost always the opposite is directly assumed.
Like I said, some of us keep our shipping goggles handy. :p I agree, though, I noticed that, too.

Officially, no romance between original characters is canon, and I prefer them as friends in the canon. I think the lengths one goes to for all kinds of love- platonic, romantic, familial- are all great in their own way. Platonic love is a strong focus of the series. Regardless of crushes that may or may not exist between characters, they were and are friends and that friendship is where the willingness to do all this is built off of.

Romance is actually harder to handle gracefully in writing anyway, I think. Wouldn't want lovey-dovey things to take over the story too much, would we?

Youniquee

Awards
Romance is actually harder to handle gracefully in writing anyway, I think. Wouldn't want lovey-dovey things to take over the story too much, would we?

Shippers would go mad xD No thanks. Platonic love focus all the way. Nomura can continue giving us this ambiguous 'hints' that we can draw our own interpretation from n_n
I wonder how Nomura would handle romance though? Hm...

Awards
Shippers would go mad xD No thanks. Platonic love focus all the way. Nomura can continue giving us this ambiguous 'hints' that we can draw our own interpretation from n_n
I wonder how Nomura would handle romance though? Hm...

I'm fine with that, too. ^o^/
Does make me wonder, though. How would that resolve? It would probably involve paopu fruit, which was mentioned but never shown to be used.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Like everyone else says, love exists in Kingdom Hearts. It just doesn't play really any important part of the series. Which I think is a VERY good thing. I HATE it when romance has to play an important part of any series. You can have characters love each other, sure, but I don't enjoy franchises that are based entirely on it.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I know it's not a popular opinion, but I would like SoKai to move forward a LITTLE bit. Keep the main focus on Sora and Riku and Co. saving the worlds and such, but just push Sora and Kairi a little bit closer. I mean, it's obvious they have canon more-than-friends feelings for each other. As friends, Sora is probably closer to Riku, but Riku's not the one Sora drew sharing a Paupu with. And Kairi drew he giving one back, so yeah.

That's pretty much as far as it's gotten. Donald and Goofy have tended to make fun whenever Sora talks about Kairi as well.

I think I remember that in the Pirates world, Will and Elizabeth kiss, and then Donald and Goofy catch Sora blushing because he was thinking about Kairi seeing that.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Like I said, some of us keep our shipping goggles handy. :p I agree, though, I noticed that, too.

Officially, no romance between original characters is canon, and I prefer them as friends in the canon. I think the lengths one goes to for all kinds of love- platonic, romantic, familial- are all great in their own way. Platonic love is a strong focus of the series. Regardless of crushes that may or may not exist between characters, they were and are friends and that friendship is where the willingness to do all this is built off of.

In most people's minds, it does imply romance and sexual attraction. Me? I say in most cases, love can be between any number of people regardless, but what Sora and Kairi have appears to be special.

ShailsTDSPT

I'd say love exists in the KH Universe - not as most make it seem though. I think the only semi-canon pair we have is Sora and Kairi. Then again, they still aren't canon (still). I mean, Sora sees Kairi in everything that involves romance and they imagined themselves sharing a paopu. I am also a Roxas and Xion shipper, but I don't want that part to be canon :p

Awards
Oh, don't get me wrong, I sincerely believe Sora and Kairi have romantic feelings for each other and a little development for that would be great. But what I think would be even better is more development of them as friends, or just close in general. All other romances between original characters are more subtle or less concrete romance at all in comparison to SoKai hints, I thinkk, but I still prefer that the romance isn't a main focus. So I think it's doing well so far.

Roro

Awards
I think I remember that in the Pirates world, Will and Elizabeth kiss, and then Donald and Goofy catch Sora blushing because he was thinking about Kairi seeing that.

There was also the time where Roxas and Kairi make contact with each other in KH2 and Roxas is like "oh yea you're that girl he likes" something along those lines. I know this one is arguable though depending on your interpretation of the word "like" in that scene.

But I think thats as good as it gets with KH little subtle hints here and there on the romance aspect that can be interpreted in different ways :p

Awards
There was also the time where Roxas and Kairi make contact with each other in KH2 and Roxas is like "oh yea you're that girl he likes" something along those lines. I know this one is arguable though depending on your interpretation of the word "like" in that scene.

But I think thats as good as it gets with KH little subtle hints here and there on the romance aspect that can be interpreted in different ways :p
There's also Riku saying that to Sora, Kairi is someone very special and, more definitely, the ultimania stating that Riku knew Sora liked Kairi. There, the platonic like would seem kind of redundant- as if Riku knows that Sora secretly doesn't hate his other close childhood friend.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
The only thing Sora and Kairi will ever do is high-five or hug.

While a tearful Sora will outright tackle Riku to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back