• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sony

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

darkheart709

Bronze Member
re: Sony - "Now it REALLY does everything!"

I knew it.

Let's look at how the tide has changed for system costs, yes?

PlayStation 3 Slim $299
HDD: 120 GB
Dualshock 3 controller + recharging mini-USB cable
Ethernet cable
Composite cable
BLU-RAY

For the same price as the $300 360 Pro 60GB

The only thing missing is a headset...which you can get at virtually any price due to the fact that PS3 isn't run by commies, and it allows full third-party bluetooth headsets.

And the system's best games, including Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid 4, and others for under $30 (not even counting LittleBigPlanet GOTY edition).

The system has the best performance of multimedia features, and free online play.

I'd say it's the best bargain out of the 3 systems. Even moreso than before.

And if they add software emulation by next Spring......Microsoft refuses to fix the RROD problem....and Nintendo continues to dance around its cash ignoring its fanbase....then everyone else is out of here, IMO.

yup yet it still wont beat the 360 or wii, oh well, i'll be getting this new ps3 slim since i dont have a 360 anymore. and who knows, sony has done an amazing job thise year at making their system worth buying maybe they can catch up to the 360 and even pass it up. i would like to stop hearing these "Sony is doomed" threads that keep popping up

PS: WTF Wii is still $250 and nobody's been screaming at them about how its decade-old technology is too much to pay for.

because its still cheaper(except arcade) and wii has never really needed a price cut. although i suspect nintendo will cut the price, either this year or the beginning of next year

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Re: LOL PS3 SLIM

yup yet it still wont beat the 360 or wii

Maybe not the Wii, but the 360? Very possible.

It's been out a year less than the 360 and still has over 2/3rds the amount of sales, from people who paid more than $400 for their game console.

With this price slash, Firmware 3.0, PSPgo, Minis, PS3 Slim, the awesome amount of PS3 exclusives on its way, and the new motion wand, Sony has got this next year down.

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3

oh fuck yes i knew that if i waited the ps3 slim would arrive.

I WANT THIS.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

One opinions are opinions. Second you are judging something that isn't even out yet? thats nice. For all you know 3.00 could mean a lot of systems get messed up as some have in the past with updates.

I saw video. I thought you would clearly understand that I am basing my impressions of the firmware off of what we have seen so far, since clearly it's not out yet.

As for the Zune HD/iPod touch, I've owned an iPod touch and I've seen video of the Zune HD's tegra-powered UI--it's much nicer :)

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards

I saw video. I thought you would clearly understand that I am basing my impressions of the firmware off of what we have seen so far, since clearly it's not out yet.

As for the Zune HD/iPod touch, I've owned an iPod touch and I've seen video of the Zune HD's tegra-powered UI--it's much nicer :)

Yeah I so pre-ordered my Zune HD xD

Anyway back on topic, Sony has known what it was doing from the start.

It did the same thing with the PS2 and the PSP. Their game plan hasn't changed at all. The only thing that has changed is the economy and a competitor in the gaming market.

However with this big change sony is more than likely sure to gain a larger hold on the gaming market like they did back with the PS2. The only thing that concerns me about this is that less people are spending money, so one must wonder how much Sony will actually profit. It's a good thing that this was released closer to the holiday season though instead of a time like around E3. More people feel obligated to spend money around this time of the year.

darkheart709

Bronze Member

Maybe not the Wii, but the 360? Very possible.

It's been out a year less than the 360 and still has over 2/3rds the amount of sales, from people who paid more than $400 for their game console.

With this price slash, Firmware 3.0, PSPgo, Minis, PS3 Slim, the awesome amount of PS3 exclusives on its way, and the new motion wand, Sony has got this next year down.

agreed, 360 is very possible. sony has some awesome exclusives coming up and even third parties are starting to give some exclusives to the ps3 in terms of extra content like batman arkham asylum's ps3 extras and the assassin's creed 2 extras with bloodlines(its something)

i'm not sure about the PSPgo. i mean i don't see the appeal other than its small and has a slide screen. it cost more than the current psp model and even at $200 the psp bunldles(buying the dissidia bundle) still include a game. i just don't see the consumers willing to upgrade(or downgrade depending on how you look at it) to it, especially since the regualr psp is still capable of downloading games on to the memory card. plus sony hasn't revealed how exisitinbg psp users will transfer their previously bought games to the pspgo which will discourage alot of psp owners from going for the go

all three companies look like they will be doing better from here on out. which is good because i don't want to see any of the big three fail. i know there is always going to be a 1st, 2nd, and last place but if the margins by which their beat is small its still good for the company and they will continue to make their games

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards

God I hate this. I mean I seriously bought my PS3 for 423 dollars like less than a month ago.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards

God I hate this. I mean I seriously bought my PS3 for 423 dollars like less than a month ago.

Yeah I'm kind of kicking myself as well. A few months ago I bought two PS3s for some friends and now this. =<

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

I knew the Slim would come out, but I had no intention of waiting. Not while MGS4 comes out before it, which it did.

Although had I waited, I'd have more memory for less money. ;-;

But I got mine in 2007 though, waiting this much would've killed me.

D

Deleted member 36435

they can make this shit paper thing but one thing they cant beat
60gb :>

darkheart709

Bronze Member

Yeah I'm kind of kicking myself as well. A few months ago I bought two PS3s for some friends and now this. =<

i'm so glad i held back on buying a new ps3, i think i'll go ahead and change my preorder for assassin's creed 2 from the 360 to the ps3

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

this is really surprising. i'm glad the ps3 is more affordable. i'll buy one but i'll wait until it seems reasonable enough... like if i know if it has enough games i like coming for it, etc. final fantasy xiii is one but kinda risky considering 360 has final fantasy xiii too and more rpgs.

D

Deleted member 36435

this is really surprising. i'm glad the ps3 is more affordable. i'll buy one but i'll wait until it seems reasonable enough... like if i know if it has enough games i like coming for it, etc. final fantasy xiii is one but kinda risky considering 360 has final fantasy xiii too and more rpgs.
The PS3 is the same price as a Xbox 360 and only 50 bux more then a Wii.
I'd say it's worth.
Especially since I paid 600+ bux for mine

darkheart709

Bronze Member

check out some of sony's first party games like the last guardian and God of War 3, they are good. plus MGS4, FFVSXIII(if square actually keeps it exclusive), FFXIV(same situation as FFVSXIII),

XenonSovereign

The End Boss of KHInsider

Slim is like next big thing! It's everywhere. I was in the store and the old, muslim guy was talking about

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

Anyway back on topic, Sony has known what it was doing from the start.

It did the same thing with the PS2 and the PSP. Their game plan hasn't changed at all. The only thing that has changed is the economy and a competitor in the gaming market.
fuck my stupid post got erased while typing.

But yes, this is basically it.

Sony's known what they are doing. They have gone through this all before.
It took me until I bought my PS3 to realize their plan, and believe in it.

They are met with criticism, hatred, distrust, a rough spot....but they come out on top in the end.

Take a look back to the year 2000, when Sony launched the PS2.

The console was met with supply-shortages unlike anything you could have pre-conceived. It was extremely expensive (due to the built-in DVD player, which many felt was an unnecessary expense to the console), its game library was destitute in comparison to the beloved Dreamcast, and it touted hardware features that had never been used before in a games console, and so people were skeptical.

Sony had a really rough time with the PS2 initially, especially being the weakest of the systems.

But 9 years later, look where it is now. It outlasted its competitors by over 3 years, it has a game library unrivaled by anyone except probably the SNES and GameBoy, and it has a price-point less than $100. 9 years later, and it is still a major strategy of Sony's gaming division.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Perhaps people scoffed at the PS3's $600 launch price. We scoffed at the unnecessary blu-ray, at the emphasis over HD and HDMI and hard-drive space and multimedia features.

3 years later, we live in an HD era. The HD TV population is skyrocketing. Blu-ray prices are dropping and slowly going to take over DVD. Analog TV has completely shut down in the US. Hard Drive space becomes more and more cheaper and important with the future moving towards downloadable games and installs. Multimedia features become more and more intertwined and multi-faceted as multimedia becomes less of a spread of hobbies, and more as a central definition of "entertainment" between movies, games and music.

Sony didn't charge people $600 at launch because they wanted to make a big profit off of ripping people off. No, they took a risk.

They built a machine that costed $1000 each to make, and sold it at almost half the price, just so that the common public could get a taste of the future of gaming technology and potential.

Through the teasing and abandonment of some of its fanbase, Sony stuck through. They know that this console is the way they want to go, and they see a future where it will become the norm like the PS2 did.

They knew this day would come....the day that the system would turn a profit...the day they could sell the PS3 at nearly the same price the Wii launched (and still sells) with....the day they would have an impressive list of released and upcoming games to entice consumers. They knew that, even if it took years, it would come. Just like it came to the PS2.

They built the PS3 in mind with it being a machine with so much inside it, that it would be hard for its progress to "plateau" within a few years. The Wii has already experienced this...as its hardware is already extremely outdated, and the most they can add on to it is plastic peripheral shells or something the Wii falsely advertised at launched anyway.

People learn how to build upon the 360 and PS3 everyday, however.

PS3 was built to be this way, so that 10 years down the road, developers are STILL developing for it. People are STILL buying it. Prices are STILL going down.

This is what Sony envisioned, and I'm glad to see a small step of it coming true.

I can't wait to see the September NPD.

but kinda risky considering 360 has final fantasy xiii too and more rpgs.
More RPGS like? Hmm...

PS3 has almost all the 360's RPGs (the only ones it doesn't have are Lost Oddysey, Last Remnant, Blue Dragon and Star Ocean 4.)

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards

Eh, it's just a smaller ps3. Big deal. Rather, small deal, imo.

It's not so much the console, but the price. The cost of developing the hardware and the price they sell it for. Either way a move like this will impact the consumers.

Even if the price drop wasn't that significant, the consumer must always have what's new. Just look at the PSP Go! Only a few weeks after it's release it was one of the top items on Amazon. What's so special about the Go? Nothing. The price is even a bit much in some people's opinion. But people want to keep up with the Jones' and have all the latest gadgets.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards

Yeah, I have no clue how much they paid for my ps3, got it as a gift.

So, if I wanted a headset that could work with my ps3, 360, PC, what would I get? Is there anything like that out there?

Back