• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

(spoilers) What do you think of 358/2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Website
sites.google.com
I've seen a lot of threads about 358/2, but I haven't really seen very many opinions of the game overall.

For those of you who have played days, what did you think? What did you like? What did you not like?

I doubt many of us know most of the story, but I figured I could at least try to get a base opinion from those who played the game.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Re: (possible spoilers) What do you think of 358/2?

I've made a couple posts on my opinion on the game:

To be honest, 358/2 has a bit of the CoM syndrome, you grit your teeth and bear through the annoying parts (CoM: basically replaying KH1's entire plot, 358/2: Mission after mission of killing heartless) so that you can see the cutscenes and story unfold in the scenes afterwards (CoM: Events on each floor of CO, 358/2: Ice-Cream scenes, Org Member meetings, Xemnas shit), but those cutscenes/plot as a whole make the experience worth it because it's heart-wrenching deep/introspective/dark shit.

The game is absolutely gorgeous for a DS game, it's probably one of the most fantastic looking games on the platform, and theres hardly a pinch of slowdown in even the most action packed battles. It is a genuine transition of, I would say moreso KH1's battle system than KH2s, but it was pulled off very well (the only decrepancies people seem to have is with the camera controls, which aren't that big of a deal)

In terms of difficult, it's hard to place.
-You lose HP FAST, which means you're close to dying a lot
-Enemies have a LOT more HP, they're not negligible punching bags like previous game
-You don't have immense combo ability, you have to be mindful to time your attacks and know when to dodge/back-off an enemy

However,
-Healing items and abilities are plentiful
-Enemies don't do a whole bunch in terms of smartly attacking you, they kinda wander around
-You may not have the power in your attacks, but limit abilities and spells are WAYYY powerful and kill stuff really easily in a pinch

Like I said before, gameplay is enjoyable and a genuine KH experience, but the progression of the game is so very much repetative. HUB world, talk to Saix/Xemnas/Whoever, get sent to a Disney World, walk around and kill Heartless (sometimes boss) until this little 'Heart meter' fills up, and then you walk back to the portal and the day ends. However, I would say that once the game is in English this may be much less of an issue if, at the very least, we'll be able to understand what every Organization Member is saying, and enjoy the experience for what tidbits into their lives we'd be able to take from that.

The ability system is fantastic. I just know that this is just a one-shot deal and we won't see any semblance of it in future KH games, but I think I'm going to miss it slightly, because it is very fun. Basically you have a grid-panel attributed to each character, and your abilities are sort of like tetris-block formations that you fit into the grid until it's "full", and that's basically your character progression. Magics are leveld up by lining up combos of the same type of spell on the grid, what Keyblade (or "Gear") you wield is based on equipping a certain level of "gear" and what adjacent abilities are touching it, which morph it into a new keyblade. Also added is the Critical Hit system, where you have a certain % chance to do a stun-inducing tons-of-damage attack to a Heartless.

Multiplayer is pretty much the bees knees. Every character feels very unique, and each character has their own individual "panel" system like I mentioned above, so you can completely customize and build your Organization Member to your specific taste and give them abilities that compliment their traits. Organization Members also get unique weapon changes, which is a really small detail they didn't need to do but went the extra mile to, including fantastic "Joke" weapons like Xigbar shooting lasers from a Hair Dryer, or Axel flinging spicy pizzas. Also, there are a good number of unlockable characters that everyone has wanted to play as in the past.

So, 358/2 Days is a very enjoyable mixed bag.
-The gameplay is great in terms of controls and the battle system, there just isn't very much to do with it besides battle a bunch.
-Game is a technical feat for the platform, but just being selfish, you kinda wish there was more things like voice-acting and FMV scenes
-In terms of story, even in the little tidbits we've heard the story is probably one of the darkest and touching in the series without even knowing the whole thing and necessarily how it all unfolds. However the story seems, for now, entirely isolated and self-contained, so there's not very much sense that the fact that all this ever happened is reflected in the other games, so it's disappointing in that sense.
-Multiplayer is very fun, but local-play only, and each individual player needs to have a copy of the game...so, if you can manage that, awesome, but I doubt a lot of people will :\

Laz

KHI's Asz-Houl

I've made a couple posts on my opinion on the game:

To be honest, 358/2 has a bit of the CoM syndrome, you grit your teeth and bear through the annoying parts (CoM: basically replaying KH1's entire plot, 358/2: Mission after mission of killing heartless) so that you can see the cutscenes and story unfold in the scenes afterwards (CoM: Events on each floor of CO, 358/2: Ice-Cream scenes, Org Member meetings, Xemnas shit), but those cutscenes/plot as a whole make the experience worth it because it's heart-wrenching deep/introspective/dark shit.

The game is absolutely gorgeous for a DS game, it's probably one of the most fantastic looking games on the platform, and theres hardly a pinch of slowdown in even the most action packed battles. It is a genuine transition of, I would say moreso KH1's battle system than KH2s, but it was pulled off very well (the only decrepancies people seem to have is with the camera controls, which aren't that big of a deal)

In terms of difficult, it's hard to place.
-You lose HP FAST, which means you're close to dying a lot
-Enemies have a LOT more HP, they're not negligible punching bags like previous game
-You don't have immense combo ability, you have to be mindful to time your attacks and know when to dodge/back-off an enemy

However,
-Healing items and abilities are plentiful
-Enemies don't do a whole bunch in terms of smartly attacking you, they kinda wander around
-You may not have the power in your attacks, but limit abilities and spells are WAYYY powerful and kill stuff really easily in a pinch

Like I said before, gameplay is enjoyable and a genuine KH experience, but the progression of the game is so very much repetative. HUB world, talk to Saix/Xemnas/Whoever, get sent to a Disney World, walk around and kill Heartless (sometimes boss) until this little 'Heart meter' fills up, and then you walk back to the portal and the day ends. However, I would say that once the game is in English this may be much less of an issue if, at the veyr least, we'll be able to understand what every Organization Member is saying, and enjoy the experience for what tidbits into their lives we'd be able to take from that.

The ability system is fantastic. I just know that this is just a one-shot deal and we won't see any semblance of it in future KH games, but I think I'm going to miss it slightly, because it is very fun. Basically you have a grid-panel attributed to each character, and your abilities are sort of like tetris-block formations that you fit into the grid until it's "full", and that's basically your character progression. Magics are leveld up by lining up combos of the same type of spell on the grid, what Keyblade (or "Gear") you wield is based on equipping a certai level of "gear" and what adjacent abilities are touching it, which morph it into a new keyblade. Also added is the Critical Hit system, where you have a certasin % chance to do a stun-enducing tons-of-damage attack to a Heartless.

Multiplayer is pretty much the bees knees. Every character feels very unique, and each character has their own individual "panel" system like I mentioned above, so you can completely customize and build your Organization Member to your specific taste and give them abilities that compliment their traits. Organizatin Members also get unique weapon changes, which is a really small detail they didn't need to do but went the extra mile to, including fantastic "Joke" weapons like Xigbar shooting lasers from a Hair Dryer, or Axel flinging spicy pizzas. Also, there are a good number of unlockable characters that everyone has wanted to play as in the past.

So, 358/2 Days is a very enjoyable mixed bag.
-The gameplay is great in terms of controls and the battle system, there just isn't very much to do with it besides battle a bunch.
-Game is a technical feat for the platform, but just being selfish, you kinda wish there was more things like voice-acting and FMV scenes
-In terms of story, even in the little tidbits we've heard the story is probably one of the darkest and touching in the series without even knowing the whole thing and necessarily how it all unfolds. However the story seems, for now, entirely isolated and self-contained, so there's not very much sense that the fact that all this ever happened is reflected in the other games, so it's disappointing in that sense.
-Multiplayer is very fun, but local-play only, and each individual player needs to have a copy of the game...so, if you can manage that, awesome, but I doubt a lot of people will :\
wow that sums it up pretty well.Anyway i think that days was awesome , cant wait 4 the english version.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

Yes, hopefully the Disney sections of worlds will be more bearable with an understanding of what's actually being said.
I like that review. I can't wait to play the game myself. :D

S

Shadow Soldier

(the only decrepancies people seem to have is with the camera controls, which aren't that big of a deal)

Once you get used to them, they're not bad at all.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com

That synopsis TMM gave gives me new hope for this game. I was a little scared that Square was going to mess up big time, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, which is great.

Last edited:

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

That synopsis TMM gave gives me new hope for this game. I was a little scared that Disney was going to mess up big time, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, which is great.
Disney doesn't do much when it comes to the game, just provide the characters...

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

Haha. It's fine.

Sa?x

The Luna Diviner

Gameplay was impressive, multiplay was the shit. Story was... less than impressive. I need to do my review xD.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

I have a feeling Saix is the only one who feels that way, anyway. :/
If a cutscene in which I had no idea what they were saying reduced me to tears, I don't think the story is shit.
But, whatever.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

I have a feeling Saix is the only one who feels that way, anyway. :/

Certainly seems that way to me.

Personally I think TMM's little review was an accurate summation regarding my feelings towards the game.

Enjoyable. Could have been a lot worse.

Hypoxium

stuff
Awards

Gameplay was impressive, multiplay was the shit. Story was... less than impressive. I need to do my review xD.

Story is more impressive than I thought it would be.

XIII Nobodies

My impressions (just got through the game about 20 minutes ago).

Story: Well, of course I didn't understand 90% of it, but from what I gathered, Xion basically becoming a vessel containing many of Sora's memories. She is seen differently by other people some of the time (i.e. when Xigbar see's her as Ven, and when Roxas sees her as Sora during the near-end of the game). Some of the cut scenes were a bit confusing to me, just the Destiny Islands scenes. It also seems like Roxas and Axel hit some rough points in their friendship more toward the end. This is more than likely because Axel is put in a tight position, seeing as he has to appease the Organization and wants to appease Roxas at the same time, but is not entirely able to do so. So from what I can gather, the story is good. I do wish that there might have been more surprises, and maybe more connections with BBS, but there is stuff that's not translated, so there may be some surprises in there.

Gameplay: I like the tile system that they use with items, equipment and abilities. It was also cool that they added links with certain abilities and keyblades. The battle system was very much like KH1 and 2, but camera work was a bit different because you have to use the stylus or push select and then use the d-pad to rotate the camera. Flying in Neverland was a bit tough when when fighting certain types of heartless. All-in-all though, gameplay was fun and had a its share of challenge.

Graphics: The DS has its limits on what it can do with graphics, basically being in between the SNES and N64. Therefore, some of the graphics may seem a little pixelly and blocky, but considering what limits the DS has, this game has some of the best graphics for a DS game that I've seen in a 3D world. The cut scenes were basically using PS2 graphics, so at least they were nice and clear, even on the DS screen.

Audio: Most of the music and sound effects were recycled from the PS2 games. There were a couple variations with some themes, like TWTNW. Still though, I've always liked the music in KH and am glad they didn't try anything too different. The sound effects worked well in the game, too.

All in all, I liked the game a lot. Although I couldn't understand 99% of the dialog, it was still a fun and somewhat challenging experience (trying to understand the menu and some of the missions was a challenge in itself). The missions were well-rounded for the most part, but they could have used a few more different types. Still, I haven't played mission Mode yet, so there may be something I'm missing, and the missions that I played were still fun, and some of them challenging. The game was well-rounded and was definitely worth the experience, even if it was in Japanese.

My Rating:
Story (from what I was able to understand anyway): 8.4/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Graphics: 9.3/10
Audio: 8.5/10

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
They couldve fixed the pixellated face of Axel and everyone else. That was probably the biggest let down in the game.

Silfarion

considering it was a DS, it was very impressive. graphic's good enough, game play is good, great game systems (loved the panel slots!), though i haven't completed the game.

P.S: i think we have to make a thread for other discussions (character, boss, item, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back