• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Square Enix shifting towards Nintendo, and away from Sony?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorikux

VG Chartz | Forum

About Microsoft
- If there is a merrit cooperating with Microsoft we will do this. We might give some projects to separate studios and make games for the X360.

- The Main Platforms for Square Enix are the Nintendo Platforms and PS3. The Lionshare of the Developers and our infrastructure as well as our capital is for NDS, Wii and PS3 and this is not going to change.

- We are astonished by Wiis success and the nintendo dominance. We thought that the PS3 and the Wii will coexist due to the difference between both strategies, but in the end the users will decide which platform we develop on. The SCE Platforms at this point are a bit of a challenge.

- We think we can do much on the Wii. I talked to Iwata to exploit many possibilities and cheer him on.

---

This news is also on Famitsu and NeoGAF and such. What does this mean?

Also this:

VG Chartz | Forum

GI: In a recent interview with CNET Japan, you said that consumers are purchasing the Wii as a toy…

YW: That particular article interpreted what I said in a rather coarse way. To fill in the context, with this generation of consoles, people take it for granted that all of them should be and are multi-functional. So it is each manufacturer’s responsibility to communicate with potential customers, and let them know which of them would make the best use of which function in each console.

In that context, Nintendo seems to place a great emphasis on Wii Sports and Fit rather than Zelda, a role-playing game. In my opinion, if they expose the functions in this way, they are making the Wii look like a toy. With PlayStation 3, Sony are not appealing to consumers with strong messages that say this kind of user can make use of PS3 in this particular way for this particular kind of fun. That, they are quite weak at.

GI: You did however note that software attach rates are lower for Wii than for other consoles. So does that make it a less appealing platform for Square Enix to develop and publish games on?

YW: No, that’s not the case. What we have to do to start with is ask what kind of consumers are buying Wii for what purpose. When we’ve finished that analysis, then we have to work out what kind of games we should create for Wii. For DS, Square Enix publishes both traditional games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and also more casual software. The DS is managing to get through to a really broad range of people at the moment, and I think the Wii can follow in its footsteps.

---

Wada believes the Wii could follow the footsteps of the DS. And you know how much SE are supporting the DS.

Possible outcome of where KH3 will go?

NachDarkOne

VG Chartz | Forum

About Microsoft
- If there is a merrit cooperating with Microsoft we will do this. We might give some projects to separate studios and make games for the X360.

- The Main Platforms for Square Enix are the Nintendo Platforms and PS3. The Lionshare of the Developers and our infrastructure as well as our capital is for NDS, Wii and PS3 and this is not going to change.

- We are astonished by Wiis success and the nintendo dominance. We thought that the PS3 and the Wii will coexist due to the difference between both strategies, but in the end the users will decide which platform we develop on. The SCE Platforms at this point are a bit of a challenge.

- We think we can do much on the Wii. I talked to Iwata to exploit many possibilities and cheer him on.

---

Also this:

VG Chartz | Forum

GI: In a recent interview with CNET Japan, you said that consumers are purchasing the Wii as a toy…

YW: That particular article interpreted what I said in a rather coarse way. To fill in the context, with this generation of consoles, people take it for granted that all of them should be and are multi-functional. So it is each manufacturer’s responsibility to communicate with potential customers, and let them know which of them would make the best use of which function in each console.

In that context, Nintendo seems to place a great emphasis on Wii Sports and Fit rather than Zelda, a role-playing game. In my opinion, if they expose the functions in this way, they are making the Wii look like a toy. With PlayStation 3, Sony are not appealing to consumers with strong messages that say this kind of user can make use of PS3 in this particular way for this particular kind of fun. That, they are quite weak at.

GI: You did however note that software attach rates are lower for Wii than for other consoles. So does that make it a less appealing platform for Square Enix to develop and publish games on?

YW: No, that’s not the case. What we have to do to start with is ask what kind of consumers are buying Wii for what purpose. When we’ve finished that analysis, then we have to work out what kind of games we should create for Wii. For DS, Square Enix publishes both traditional games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and also more casual software. The DS is managing to get through to a really broad range of people at the moment, and I think the Wii can follow in its footsteps.

---

Wada believes the Wii could follow the footsteps of the DS. And you know how much SE are supporting the DS.

I read this the full article a couple days ago and this is what i thought it was saying. It was saying that they wouldent be supporting the xbox 360 much because their companies will be based off of ps3 and nintendo wii but if they have to they will, or something like that (this does not mean that they wont be making games for xbox 360, it means they may not make as much sadly..) . Also yes they like the wii a lot and also want to make a lot of titles for it.. Does this mean it'll be thriving away from sony? no because one of their companies is based off of using ps3 and one based off of using wii but none really basing off of Xbox 360.
So in other words their not thriving away from ps3 they just saying they like the wii and it has a lot of potential.. Do they like wii more then ps3? perhaps, but i think that kh3 will be on sony.. my most supported reason to this is that disney is supporting blue ray >_<

This is just my 2 cents and what i got out of the full article (what i thought about it in my brain)

Sorikux

How is "one based off" the Wii and "one based off" the PS3? That makes no sense. SE are one whole company. They're not split. Whatever you're getting about at, you're wrong.

And while Disney is supporting blu-ray, games are not movies, so it doesn't mean anything. They are supporting Nintendo with the games at the moment. Which means the most. Plus they support Microsoft's online service. KH3 for 360 confirmed? No, because online doesn't mean much either, and KH never used onlinw to begin with.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
my most supported reason to this is that disney is supporting blue ray >_<

Disney is also supporting Microsoft and the Xbox 360's digital distribution movie service, and plans to have over 50 Disney movies available for it by years end

Disney is also supporting Nintendo, you know Buena Vista, the company that produced and localized Kingdom Hearts 2 in North America? That is now an exclusive DS and Wii development studio

And then Disney is supporting Sony through their support for the Blu-Ray disc format.

Though I don't agree with SorikuX that this is a reason to suggest that KH will become a Wii game, I think it's possible, and when you get down to it, Disney is supporting Microsoft and Sony for their movies, but they're supporting the Nintendo Wii and DS for their games

How is "one based off" the Wii and "one based off" the PS3? That makes no sense. SE are one whole company. They're not split. Whatever you're getting about at, you're wrong.

Square Enix corporation as a whole is one company, yes, however Square Enix has multiple separate development studios. Most large developers are many different Development houses united under the umbrella of the company as a whole

For example, Nintendo has their Kyoto Headquarters which is NCE, then they have their Tokyo distribution, then they have Retro Studios in Texas, and then they have Intelligent Systems, the recently acquired Monolith Soft, Gamefreak Studio, Nintendo of America, Nintendo of Europe, etc.

K

kairi_namine'

VG Chartz | Forum

About Microsoft

---

Also this:

VG Chartz | Forum

---

It will definatly come out on the Wii. Atleast, that's what I think and HOPE. It would be the smartest thing for Square Enix to do, since the Wii is most popular.

Sorikux

@Muffin

What I was getting at is, SE don't have a division STRICTLY made for PS3-only games or a division STRICTLY made for Wii-only games. That's what Nach seemed to say, plus he seemed to say KH is Sony only or it's a no go.

NachDarkOne

And while Disney is supporting blu-ray, games are not movies, so it doesn't mean anything. They are supporting Nintendo with the games at the moment. Which means the most. Plus they support Microsoft's online service. KH3 for 360 confirmed? No, because online doesn't mean much either, and KH never used onlinw to begin with.

.. Yeah i meant divisions and i never said it was sony only i said i beleive it would be on ps3 i dont know if it will be on wii if it does then it does if it doesent then it doesent simple as that i just thought that disney would go for ps3 because of the blu- ray thingy but like i said its just my 2 cents doesent matter what i say..
and the divisions thing say strictly thats what i got from the full! article cus it said that.. but it was on qj.net so they could of messed it up what they actually said..
Also stop trying to go strictly from my point my point, was that i dout it would be on xbox because they dont really have a division for xbox and also not a lot of people in japan owns xbox. Actually ps3 is doubled or tripled of amount in japan then there is xbox in japan

Last edited:

SeaSalt IceCream

AAAMMAAAZZZINNNNGG!
What I thinkn about it is that, KH3 will also be on multi platforms.

I think that's what they'll do if they want it on Wii, I'm thinking we'll stick with ps3 cause they wont have to Re-think the controls.

Before you flame me on this I will say I know SE makes the final call, but I remember reading in an interview and it said that Nomura was rather intrigued by PS3 and it's capabilities. With ps3's excellent grafic standards, it would be perfect for KH3 cause we all know the really high quality standards for the games we've had so far.

Also, they wont forget that most of the people who are likley to play KH3 are people who have played 1 and 2, now correct me if I'm wrong here cause I've never actually held a ps3 controller but the handling looks pretty much the same as the previous playstation consoles, so it would be easier on them and us, the clients if they stuck with the same sort of controls with maybe a few minor changes to make the game unique from the other two. But anyway it would be easier to say well, O is jump, X is attack and so forth, then having to re-think all the controls to make it comfortable to accomplish the type of game play they require.
I think I made a mess of that so I hope it makes sense.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Before you flame me on this I will say I know SE makes the final call, but I remember reading in an interview and it said that Nomura was rather intrigued by PS3 and it's capabilities. With ps3's excellent grafic standards, it would be perfect for KH3 cause we all know the really high quality standards for the games we've had so far.

Kingdom Hearts hasn't been about graphical standards, KH has never been a graphically intensive series, it was about art style not pixel ratio and being able to see the pores on Sora's skin

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
Kingdom Hearts hasn't been about graphical standards, KH has never been a graphically intensive series, it was about art style not pixel ratio and being able to see the pores on Sora's skin

And if was ever about Super gfx.. Square would failed big time with it lol..

Also, Nomura is just a Sony fanboy IMMO>. He goes on and takes about the PS3 and it's capabilitie and how great it is..

If he really cared about that.. Then He would have made games for the Cube or Xbox.. He is just using the PS3 blah blah, because he thinks he can get away with it..

Bh325

Yeah, that's absolutely correct. The art style is the main point in the KH series' graphic appeal.
To me, it would be great for KH3 to come on the Wii. Nintendo seems to be getting better than Sony in the console industry, and if you ask me, it's because NDS and Wii are so much different consoles. Wii would offer a great platform for KH3.

Mr. Wilhelm

Also Sprach Zarathustra
Website
www.animus-sorrow.org
That si true about the graphism. Trying to imagine KH with PS3 graphism, I guess it would be too much weird. The level of graphism in KH2 is about the perfect and maximum level KH needs. So, Wii would be the best solution, they could improve graphism a little but not too much, for sample, Disney character doesn't need to look better than what they do in KH2... They already look better in KH than in their original movie sometime...

Awards
Ok, the speculations for this won't end until a final announcement. I myself am going for the PS3 because I own one, but if they decide to make it for the Wii there's a large possibility I'll get a Wii. I don't really like the idea of having to wave my arm around to do things, I don't even like using the Sixaxis on PS3. They have reasons to go on the Wii, and reasons to go on the PS3. We shall never know until it is announced, so speculation is useless in the end.
Another note, I think that they might decide on what platform(s) to go with using the sales of games they will release, like Final Fantasy XIII. But whatever.

That si true about the graphism. Trying to imagine KH with PS3 graphism, I guess it would be too much weird. The level of graphism in KH2 is about the perfect and maximum level KH needs. So, Wii would be the best solution, they could improve graphism a little but not too much, for sample, Disney character doesn't need to look better than what they do in KH2... They already look better in KH than in their original movie sometime...

Ok, actually PS3 graphics can be whatever they want. They can keep the same graphic level, just with more sharpness, but that might dissapoint some people (especially Sony who wont be able to brag about it reaching the capabilities of the PS3).

Last edited:

Dant?s de Divinity

Bronze Member
On a hill in a white dress waiting for my dearest
The smartest thing they can do is release it multiplatform. SE does not have to make games strictly for Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft. Yes the graphics capability of the Wii is not as good as the PS3 or X-Box 360 (Just look at Heavenly sword and Gears of War) but if you have seen Legend of Zelda for the Wii you have some idea of who fun it could be. Plus Kingdom Hearts is half Disney and what is the Wii targeted for? Kids and what do kids like? Disney. Some people think the Wii is strictly for kids because of the Mii and all the kiddy games for it but its not just look at Resident evil Umbrella chronicles. It’s all about what gets SE more money and a multiplatform game makes more money then a Strictly X-box, PS3, or Wii game. I personally hope it does not come out for the Wii and in my mind it probably won’t but if it does I don't care much.

Alpha_Sonix

Ratchet and Clank, is a game for the PS3, do you think those were realistic graphics? You don't need super awesome graphics to go on the PS3 as proven by Ratchet and Clank, you can easily do Beggining Kingdom Hearts graphics on the PS3, and plus the fact that Twilight Princess had Gamecube graphics.

Tidora

Im gunnoa go ape sh*t if they make it for wii... sorry, i had to emphasise how angry i ll be.

Charlie K

Back in Business
^ They now have two games for Nintendo, Square will make up their minds, hopefully it'll be multiplatform, cuz if not...It'll suck.Lol.

Sorikux

Before you flame me on this I will say I know SE makes the final call

Erm...what? You DO know Disney make the final call, not SE, right? Disney are the ones who own the KH IP, so they decide where they go.

For example, SE wouldn't do this, but let's say they do it anyway.

SE: We want KH3 on the PS3, or else we aren't making it.

Disney: Yeah, well we want it on the Wii. If you're not making it on the Wii, we'll just go to another dev.

Believe it or not, Disney can do that, because they own the IP. Nomura saying he likes the PS3 doesn't mean anything, because he doesn't make the final shots. He just directs the game. That's it.

I think SE own maybe some power to where KH goes (if it all), but they don't make the final shots, because they don't own the IP, and can't do anything. SE making the game and publishing it doesn't mean anything.

Because let's say this:

Nintendo own Monolith Soft now. Monolith Soft helped make the Baten Kaitos games (along with tri-Crescendo). Does that mean Monolith Soft own the IP? No, because first and foremost, Namco own the IP, not Monolith, regardless if they helped make it or not. Say Namco wanted to make a Baten Kaitos III. They can always ask Nintendo for them to borrow Monolith to make BK3. Namco don't need Monolith to make BK3, but they would sure like to (and Nintendo WOULD let Namco borrow Monolith for Baten Kaitos III. They're already doing that for Infinite Super Robot Wars for the DS. Namco is borrowing Monolith for it while they have Banpresto make it as well. Banpresto is a Namco studio.)

The IP holder calls the final shots. That's fact. Regardless of what you say.

Even on the KH website, it says this:

"© Disney Enterprises, Inc.

Developed by SQUARE ENIX.

© Disney. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas © Touchstone Pictures. Developed by SQUARE ENIX. Characters from FINAL FANTASY video game series: © 1990, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005 Square Enix Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved. SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd."

SE don't even own Riku, Kairi, SOra, Org XIII, etc. Disney do. Disney even made a KH by themselves.

If Disney don't like what SE is doing, they can leave. Easy as that. Disney make the final shots, not SE.

Got it?

P.S. ROFL at you guys wanting KH multiplatform. If it is, it'd be crap. It's most likely staying exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back