• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The first presidential debate

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garth

Change soul, set.
Website
www.garthtv.blogspot.com
The debate has just ended. So, who do you think won out in the end?

I'd say both held their own, but I'd give the edge over Obama. If I hear another, "What Senator Obama doesn't understand," one more time, or another badly-conceived anecdote, I'm going to explode. It was certainly interesting.

Discuss.

KH29

Obama stuck to the topics/issues, McCain just tried to make Obama look like a fool an completely ignored the issues he was suppose to discuss. Obama > McCain in this debate.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
I dont think anyone "won". They both brought their A game and had solid answers to the questions. Obama, however, seemed more confident. He would look at the camera and address the audience at home and would even stare at McCain during his rebuttals. While McCain most of the time either looked down and just kept his line of sight towards Jim (the guy who asked the questions) and seemed to me like he kept trying to hide behind smiles and chuckles whenever Obama rebutted.

Garth

Change soul, set.
Website
www.garthtv.blogspot.com
While McCain most of the time either looked down and just kept his line of sight towards Jim (the guy who asked the questions) and seemed to me like he kept trying to hide behind smiles and chuckles whenever Obama rebutted.

This is something I noticed as well. I think the overall perception of McCain could have been a lot better had he not appeared to be so overly-confident regarding some of the issues.

Garth

Change soul, set.
Website
www.garthtv.blogspot.com
She thinks she can deal with Russia since Alaska shares a border with Russia.

Wow

I may not agree with her policies at all, but I certainly don't want to see her devoured on national television. Of course, she might actually surprise us all and hold her own, maybe even do better than McCain did...

...of course, I have low hopes at this point.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
- Both of them make such broad generalizations that it's ultimately pointless.

- McCain's laugh/smile is evil. Pure Evil.

- The moderator seemed to want an actual *gasp* debate. Never gonna happen.

- McCain's been to the warzones. Congratulations, I've been to Disneyworld and I have developed a strategy to capture Mickey.

- McCain was on a pretty good offensive at some points. While Obama defended himself fairly well, I have to hand it to McCain. Foreign policy is his "expertise" and he showed his knowledge...mostly. Too bad he's a really tough sell on the economy.

- But did I mention Obama defended himself? At some points, McCain seemed content to go to the next topic than rebut Obama. It's also a plus he was willing to say "I agree with John" when McCain wasn't.

- Is anyone going out and finding their voting records or will they just blindly accept what they hear? Most bills have attachments that add incentives but are never mentioned. The troop funding one he voted no on because he wanted at least some kind of timetable which this had none. I disagree with him on that stance, but at the same time, it's not like he was against giving troops money.

- Really awkward when they both have stories about mothers who tell them about their dead sons. Death be not proud, IMO.

- I like history, but stop it already McCain. We can learn from the past, but no need for stories.

- I will never understand why didn't finish off Al Qaeda. That's my biggest issue with our foreign policy. I also don't understand how McCain could possible say it's a bad idea to threaten Pakistan with the military considering EVERYTHING HE'S EVER SAID.

Slowly but surely, Obama is winning me over. I want to criticize him, but he just makes too much sense. I get this bad Bush vibe from McCain in that he's a great guy to be friends with, but probably not the best president. And good public presentation is a sign of confidence and clear-thinking. While the ultimate rhetorician isn't the best candidate, I wouldn't say that it isn't indicative of character. McCain cracking jokes was a sign of nervousness and being ill-prepared.

I fear McCain will appeal to people's emotions and Obama's logic will be lost on many voters.

Duo_forbidden

Dance with the Dark Side
It was pretty close but I have to say Obama won the first round. When I see McCain smirking and smiling, I think he was feeling nervous.

Home bound

Just Caaaalm Down
Why make a debate of the first debate, why not all the debates, including the only vice-preseidential debate next week.

Edit: McCain looked uncomfortable. He kept blinking and never looked at Obama whereas Obama was looking at McCain when McCain debated. To me Obama came off as calm and presidential.

Garth

Change soul, set.
Website
www.garthtv.blogspot.com
Is anyone going out and finding their voting records or will they just blindly accept what they hear? Most bills have attachments that add incentives but are never mentioned. The troop funding one he voted no on because he wanted at least some kind of timetable which this had none. I disagree with him on that stance, but at the same time, it's not like he was against giving troops money.

I think CNN has done something like this on their site. They've gone and taken all the 'accusations', for lack of a better word, and gotten the actual facts behind them. For the most part, I think they've got their facts straight.

Really awkward when they both have stories about mothers who tell them about their dead sons. Death be not proud, IMO.

True. I'm almost ashamed that I almost lol'd when Obama said, "I have a bracelet, too." Although it was slightly awkward, and even a bit cringeworthy.

I will never understand why didn't finish off Al Qaeda. That's my biggest issue with our foreign policy. I also don't understand how McCain could possible say it's a bad idea to threaten Pakistan with the military considering EVERYTHING HE'S EVER SAID.

This is where I agree with Obama; there was too much unfinished business with Al Qaeda, and we just set off for Iraq.

I fear McCain will appeal to people's emotions and Obama's logic will be lost on many voters.

Actually, if things keep going as they are now, and the swing votes (particularly Colorado and Nevada) continue as they are now, Obama will most likely just have enough delegates to win the election. Of course, there are still two more debates to go, so things can change incredibly fast.

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
In all honesty I thought both were pretty dull...albeit I agree with Obama's policies more than McCains

(watched it on the bbc news website)

New2Ya

I'm lost...
I found Obama fairly weak, how he presented his words.

Now I'm a HUGE Obama supporter, so dont worry.

However, McCain was calm and certain and demanded time to talk basically, whereas Obama kinda just let McCain go with the debate.

Now when we're talking about the substance of what they both said, McCain is a joke. People probably didnt notice this, but he mixed things up and weaking the points he made before. First he says he was the only one being against the war in Iraq at first, and then later he proudly speaks of how he was the one that supported more menpower to Iraq to now see how they succeeded. Funny man...

Substance : Obama is the BIG winner

Presentation: McCain the BIG winner

Looking at America's history, they go for presentation most time. I'd be happy if they werent, but I'm just gonna expect it, the less Ill be disappointed.

Either way, I bet Obama really got a lot of comments from his party on how he needs to up his game when it comes to presentation. There were so many important things and points Obama could have made, were it not that he seemed far from confidant. Just a bad day? I hope so.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
I don't know if this has been mentioned already (I don't think it has, if I've read correctly), but it turns out that McCain won the debate. I guess Obama just doesn't understand...

Anyway, while I'm definitely more of an Obama supporter (though, I won't be eighteen in time to vote), I thought, like chaywa, that they were both pretty unimpressive. However, some speculators were predicting that this would a warm-up for both of them, so I suppose that it's to be expected. Though, McCain's snide attitude was not admirable in the slightest and he didn't make any real points. Basically, from what the article said, he won the debate (barely) because of his success in presenting the image of himself that he desired, whereas Obama did not. Obama's points still had more relevance to them, in my opinion, though...

I also thought that Obama saying that he had a bracelet too was an awesome way to get McCain to shut up with his stupid little moral experience stories. Good God...

Garth

Change soul, set.
Website
www.garthtv.blogspot.com
I don't know if this has been mentioned already (I don't think it has, if I've read correctly), but it turns out that McCain won the debate.

I disagree. McCain could have done so much better, and he couldn't afford to lose this debate, or even tie. This was his forte, his prime prerogative: foreign policies. There probably won't be another foreign policy debate for a very long time, if any. This was his opportunity to shine, and I do not think he did. Obama will most certainly gain more from this debate than McCain will, and I think that's something the McCain camp is incredibly afraid to admit.

Home bound

Just Caaaalm Down
Obama will most certainly gain more from this debate than McCain will, and I think that's something the McCain camp is incredibly afraid to admit.
Even though foreign policy is Obama's weak point, by the time it matters, people will forget about this debate. Which is one of the reasons McCain wanted to postpone the debate.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already (I don't think it has, if I've read correctly), but it turns out that McCain won the debate.
You can't just say who won the debate because someone wrote in an article that McCain won.
You know what, the McCain camp made a picture with McCain face on it and the words "McCain wins Debate" The funny thing is they made that pic before the debate, in fact, even before McCain announced he will participate in the debate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back