• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Music is Dead" Debate

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Nah, music's not dying, but I don't think the right music is getting the majority of attention.

At least a third of the (undisputed) good music produced in the last decade has all been in soundtracks of anime, movies, games, shows, and so on.

αsiя

space coke
Music is not dying, you just don't like what they're throwing out.

billabong

ain't yo granny's
Website
facebook.com
^that, and it's hard to be aware of everything that's around nowadays. Genres hybridize and evolve so much nowadays, it's hard to popularize and introduce groups or artists as "The Harbingers/Godfathers/Creators of INSERT GENRE HERE". So sure, particular names are difficult to sell to large crowds, and a lot of insanely talented artists will continue without national recognition--big deal.

Saying music is dead is like saying language is dead. Words are certainly overused, mutilated, overkilled, and beaten beyond recognition, but they will always be a relevant aspect of culture. Further, some complexities within the art are so ridiculously honed that only expert ears can appreciate it (think ultra-modern dissonant compositions). Further still, I'm sure that anyone who actually has an ear for music knows a modern musician that they can listen to and smile. And as long as that remains true, then music is alive and achieving its purpose.

Jozi

Du-dun-dananana Calibrations!
It seems as though music isn't dying, but evolving.

Today's music is going through a change because it is more artificial, not only with rap and hip-hop where they make the beat from the computer; and audio-tune their voices.

But even rock, and metal are using more distortions and other effects that can't be naturally made with acoustic notes. And electric notes too, I won't count the amp effect as distortion.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Different people had different opinions. I honestly think that, yes Mainstream music is sadly dieing :/, but as for music in general, I think not. Actually, music all over the world is just getting better, and will continue to escalate in that fashion. Sure, it might not be the type of music we hear on the local radio stations, but really what does play on those: pop, crap..oh i mean rap, and soft rock. Okay sure, some of it isn't bad, but compared to ten years ago, its just shyte now.

But, music around the world is just great; coming from a diverse selection of countries. honestly, Music is very much alive.

Agoraphobia

beautiful days
Awards
The only music that's dead is the shit on the radio, because 99.9% of the songs are the same thing.

nosecap

Today's music is going through a change because it is more artificial, not only with rap and hip-hop where they make the beat from the computer; and audio-tune their voices.

This.

It has been changing for a long time now. I mean; just take hits from around 80' to the 2010, and you'll hear and notice the changes in music. Not in every year, but I think you know what I mean.

And I think that mostly it's just for the fact that the music we grew with is long gone now, and it's most probably going to be the same with the youngsters in the next ten years.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
Just gonna clear this up.

I don't think music is dead, or dying. I think some people misinterpreted my post. Personally, I'm only really depressed concerning mainstream music, and fully recognise that there are some amazing musicians out there who simply get less airplay than the less thought-provoking music that is the most popular.

Macabre

Gold Member
I don't think music is dead, or dying. I think some people misinterpreted my post.
Most of them are misinterpreting the title of this thread. You could have titled it "The mainstream music of today is shit" and it would be a perfect title for this thread.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
Most of them are misinterpreting the title of this thread. You could have titled it "The mainstream music of today is shit" and it would be a perfect title for this thread.

I think you're misinterpreting, too... T_T

Urbane

Who in face are you?!

Well, you see, I made this thread because I know people who think "Music is Dead". If I wanted peoples opinions on whether or not mainstream music is shit or not, I'd have done that initially.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
^ well as long as we have eminem and one republic
im sure we wont be THAT bad

tidusora

Yunakairi
Awards
Music isn't dying, it isn't concrete... -_- My lame attempt at humor.

I don't believe music is dying.
For every 100 songs playing on the radio right now, there are a few good gems.
For every 100 songs playing on the radio right now, there are tons (of good ones) that aren't playing on it right now.

It's funny when people complain how pop used to be good back in the days and blah blah blah. The point of pop is to make 'popular' music, whether or not it made any poetic sense to the listener or whether or not it had any comprehensible message. Crappy pop music has always been existence.... But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all pop music is crappy... -_-

As for hip-hop, I don't consider the majority of the stuff that plays on the radio as Hip-Hop, but like I said earlier, I consider most of it Pop, even by very "esteemed rappers". Hip-Hop/Rap was story-telling from the voices that weren't previously heard due to the assumption that high class Americans were the true representation of what was going on in America. I do live in what people call "the hood" and the majority of the people, who do listen to Hip Hop and Rap don't consider most of the stuff that plays on that radio that.

I'm not saying Hip Hop or Rap has a certain end date, as there has, will always be, and were great hip hop artists like Talib Kweli, Run DMC, N.W.A., Mos Def, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, A Tribe Called Quest, MF Doom (Madvillain, DANGERDOOM), etc.

But believe me when I say that the majority of the music that plays on the radio is Pop and to classify it as anything else is ignorant of what a genre really has to offer. Much Pop music on the radio has given Rock and Rap music a bad name....it sure has.

Infinite Complex

I'll be waiting....
fading into the background of history.....
In my personal opinion, it's not MUSIC that is dead, it is radio. Unless i listen to a classic rock station, i am always dissapointed. The rock stations play (what i percieve to be)crap, and it's even worse with the pop stations. The only other stations around me are country stations...need I say more? I believe one must venture to the underground in order to truly find some amazing music.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
I think it's one of two things. First, the music industry is changing. It's more about making the quick buck than discovering the next great music master. Every once in a while someone like Adele or Bruno Mars will pop up out of nowhere, but they don't seem to last. And I think a large part of this mentality for producers comes from shows like American Idol, who perpetuate the idea that anybody can be a star if they're given the chance. It's nice sentiment, sure, but it's not giving us the music gods this generation so desperately needs.

Another aspect of this is that music is just changing. Surely those who were old when Jazz was first introduced to the world went to themselves "music is dead". And now that we're going into an electronic age, where one person can create a symphony from their laptop, it's no surprise that synthesizers and electronic music is invading mainstream music. It's not so much quality that's changing, but taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back