• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do the 2 Young Xehanort's look different?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

ryushin5

Website
carnivalranger.deviantart.com
So I was replaying Kingdom Hearts 3 and I was a bit confused on the designs of the Young Xehanorts and wondering why they looked so different to me. The one on the right is supposed to be before he became a keyblade wielder but he looks older than the one on the left which is him in scala ad caelum. The one on the left also has a smaller head and his hair is different (Which I know he could have changed up his hair style but still seems weird).
The more I look at it the more i'm seeing that the one of the left looks more like a Young Master Xehanort while the one on the right looks kind of closer to Terra in design. I'm probably looking too much into this and they probably look a lot a like and i'm just nitpicking but it just seems weird to me. Also the fact that the Younger Xehanort when he returned to his time seemed to be kind of like a dick and was the only Xehanort that didn't seem to feel remorse in his actions.

I don't know what do you guys think?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think that the one on the left is before the darkness. The right is after the darkness. Only inconsistency is that the evil version's design is featured on Destiny Islands:
1ernom69vwd21.jpg

This design seems to have been before the darkness and before he left Destiny Islands... so, I'm confused.

ryushin5

Website
I think that the one on the left is before the darkness. The right is after the darkness. Only inconsistency is that the evil version's design is featured on Destiny Islands:
1ernom69vwd21.jpg

This design seems to have been before the darkness and before he left Destiny Islands... so, I'm confused.
Yeah that's why I'm confused because we know the one on the right is before he left Destiny Island because he mentions it in DDD but the one on the left looks different. I think maybe somethings might have been retconned. I do hope Nomura comes out with a novel or a manga or animated movie or something explaining Xehanorts story from beginning to end.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It's definitely is a retcon
As you can see in the E3 2015 trailer Scala Xehanort was the Young one from DDD. At some point in development Nomura decided to make a younger apprentice Xehanort for the flashbacks.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Awards
I…don’t exactly think it’s the darkness. Can we please have an age theory that doesn’t involve darkness? I guess the one in Scala is slightly younger then the one in KH3? As said, it’s probably a retcon.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
So Xehanort was on Destiny Islands and then Scala with his Young Xehanort appearance during the chess match. Xehanort then changes his style and visits his old home Destiny Islands and then begins the time travel stuff?

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
The looks are most definitely a retcon. In the earlier trailers, Boy in Black looked almost exactly like normal Young Xehanort (and had the normal YX voice too, before the directors specifically told the VA to change up his approach), even sharing his yellow eyes. And in earlier Toy Box trailers, Young Xehanort looked closer to his DDD self. In regards to his hair, it seems most of the central peak got pulled down over his face (sort of like bangs), but you can still trace it back to the same overall formation if you just imagine those extra bangs up instead of down.

In terms of personality though, they act different in a lot of ways, but both versions seem to be very much the exact same character. Specifically, both YX and Boy in Black share the exact same fatalist mentality (BiB: "The future, it's already been written..." YX: "It has been etched." Among other examples), the same views on darkness (BiB: "Darkness prevails and light expires" YX: "So, light gives way to darkness"), love for chess (Boy in Black: "Checkmate" Young Xehanort: "That's checkmate! Hahaha"), and both hate losing (hence why YX is the only one not to properly reform in the end of KH3, just like Eraqus described him in their chess match).

The difference seems to be that once Xehanort met Eraqus and trained in Scala, he grew to be significantly less cold (which was one of the main differences between the two) and more open to expressing what's truly on his mind. He's much less of an enigma, and allows himself to be more emotionally vulnerable (which makes sense if he's starting to form more healthy relationships). But that then begs the question: WHY was he so closed off in the first place? Is it possible he didn't have any close companions during his time on Destiny Islands? Was he raised in a toxic household and desperate to get away? Was he just that bored? 🤔 It's something I was really hoping Young Xehanort would go into more during KH3 (possibly leading to a moment of realization and redemption), but instead, he just suddenly becomes less indifferent (like in DDD) and more of a jerk who's openly antagonistic toward the characters. And that's really the only thing thing that makes his future self actually feel inconsistent for me.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It’s a retcon, and honestly it is probably something leftover from what Nomura originally wanted to do with Xehanort but couldn’t manage to implement.

Nomura had plans for expanding on Xehanort but chose not to go that route and instead focused on what we got in KH3.

And at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Nomura intends to use “Boy in Black”/Xehanort and “Boy in White”/Eraqus as metaphorical narrators of the ongoing plot through their continued metaphorical 4D chess game.

ryushin5

Website
The looks are most definitely a retcon. In the earlier trailers, Boy in Black looked almost exactly like normal Young Xehanort (and had the normal YX voice too, before the directors specifically told the VA to change up his approach), even sharing his yellow eyes. And in earlier Toy Box trailers, Young Xehanort looked closer to his DDD self. In regards to his hair, it seems most of the central peak got pulled down over his face (sort of like bangs), but you can still trace it back to the same overall formation if you just imagine those extra bangs up instead of down.

In terms of personality though, they act different in a lot of ways, but both versions seem to be very much the exact same character. Specifically, both YX and Boy in Black share the exact same fatalist mentality (BiB: "The future, it's already been written..." YX: "It has been etched." Among other examples), the same views on darkness (BiB: "Darkness prevails and light expires" YX: "So, light gives way to darkness"), love for chess (Boy in Black: "Checkmate" Young Xehanort: "That's checkmate! Hahaha"), and both hate losing (hence why YX is the only one not to properly reform in the end of KH3, just like Eraqus described him in their chess match).

The difference seems to be that once Xehanort met Eraqus and trained in Scala, he grew to be significantly less cold (which was one of the main differences between the two) and more open to expressing what's truly on his mind. He's much less of an enigma, and allows himself to be more emotionally vulnerable (which makes sense if he's starting to form more healthy relationships). But that then begs the question: WHY was he so closed off in the first place? Is it possible he didn't have any close companions during his time on Destiny Islands? Was he raised in a toxic household and desperate to get away? Was he just that bored? 🤔 It's something I was really hoping Young Xehanort would go into more during KH3 (possibly leading to a moment of realization and redemption), but instead, he just suddenly becomes less indifferent (like in DDD) and more of a jerk who's openly antagonistic toward the characters. And that's really the only thing thing that makes his future self actually feel inconsistent for me.

I agree with you with pretty much everything and honestly the more I think about it the more i'm starting to think the Xehanort and Eraqus playing chess scene might not take place in the past but in the future after they've passed on after the final battle of KH3 because we know they both passed went into Kingdom Hearts and are probably in some afterlife resembling Scala. The only thing that makes it hard for this theory of mine to be concrete is the fact that we see No name hanging on the wall in the room in the trailer.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I agree with you with pretty much everything and honestly the more I think about it the more i'm starting to think the Xehanort and Eraqus playing chess scene might not take place in the past but in the future after they've passed on after the final battle of KH3 because we know they both passed went into Kingdom Hearts and are probably in some afterlife resembling Scala. The only thing that makes it hard for this theory of mine to be concrete is the fact that we see No name hanging on the wall in the room in the trailer.

No, it is definitely the past. We just aren't privy to anything that explains why the two Young Xehanorts are not the same because Nomura decided to rush the ending of Xehanort's saga.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It’s a retcon, and honestly it is probably something leftover from what Nomura originally wanted to do with Xehanort but couldn’t manage to implement.

Nomura had plans for expanding on Xehanort but chose not to go that route and instead focused on what we got in KH3.

And at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Nomura intends to use “Boy in Black”/Xehanort and “Boy in White”/Eraqus as metaphorical narrators of the ongoing plot through their continued metaphorical 4D chess game.
I'd actually be okay with that. The apprentice Xehanort and Eraqus flashbacks were such a delight that I wish KH3 had more of them

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

It would be kind of sad if Xehanort was the only kid on the island while he was there. Maybe no one thought about what was out there and he had no outlet to express himself? If he saw the adults and his own peers on Destiny Islands as idiots, the disdain in him probably would fester. Riku at least had Sora and Kairi to express his interests with beyond Destiny Islands, so it wasn't just building up inside of him -- and even then Riku was quick to submit to the darkness once he thought there was a way out.

I wish we could have seen Xehanort's time on Destiny Islands :'(

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Speaking of Destiny Islands, that begs the question on why he went back after the years spent in Scala. If DDD is anything to go by he returns for some reason before he meets Ansem

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I have this odd suspicion Nomura retconned Xehanort's origin a bit. The only way I can think of his appearance making any sense is if he started on Destiny Islands and then went to Scala to train as Flashback Xehanort. Then, when he went to take his Mark of Mastery exam, he slowly succumbed to darkness, grew a year or two older, and got yellow eyes. He revisited Destiny Islands, and it was that he met his future self.

In short, I think Nomura retconned it so that the BBS/DDD beach scene with Young Xehanort wasn't him first leaving the island, but a revisit/reflection on how tiny the world was.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Speaking of Destiny Islands, that begs the question on why he went back after the years spent in Scala. If DDD is anything to go by he returns for some reason before he meets Ansem

Except that’s going against what we know. The scene on the island is before the scene in Scala. This is why everybody is confused about the continuity because Young Xehanort is supposed to be the youngest Xehanort in the timeline since he had yet to leave the island.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Except that’s going against what we know. The scene on the island is before the scene in Scala. This is why everybody is confused about the continuity because Young Xehanort is supposed to be the youngest Xehanort in the timeline since he had yet to leave the island.
My point was that if we take the retcon into account Young Xehanort returns to Destiny Islands as a guy in his late teens presumably after his training is completed. I was asking why he would do that when he showed disdain for his homeworld. Before the retcon we are lead to believe he left at that age and wouldnt return home until he brought Ven decades later.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I have this odd suspicion Nomura retconned Xehanort's origin a bit. The only way I can think of his appearance making any sense is if he started on Destiny Islands and then went to Scala to train as Flashback Xehanort. Then, when he went to take his Mark of Mastery exam, he slowly succumbed to darkness, grew a year or two older, and got yellow eyes. He revisited Destiny Islands, and it was that he met his future self.

In short, I think Nomura retconned it so that the BBS/DDD beach scene with Young Xehanort wasn't him first leaving the island, but a revisit/reflection on how tiny the world was.
I'd be willing to accept this idea if Xehanort hadn't expressed so much disdain for the place. He genuinely seemed to hate it there, so what could possibly persuade him to come back?

Also, Young Xehanort's line to Sora in DDD bassically confirms that (at least at the time of the game's release) he had yet to ever leave the Destiny Islands.

Young Xehanort: "Returning to my own time will cause me to lose the memories and experiences I have gained here, but the appointed path is now etched in my heart. Which will first lead me to seek the outside world."
I paraphrased a tiny bit, but this was pretty much the what he said in DDD at the end of Sora's story. Doesn't this line suggest he had yet to travel to Scala? Also, in both DDD and KH3, he was addressed as the Xehanort from the most distant past/the first of the Xehanort's. I know this all could've been retconned, but those are pretty hard lines to ignore. I suppose it could help explain why he's so good with a Keyblade though. I imagine someone fresh to the weapon also wouldn't be pulling off all the crazy stuff we've seen him demonstrate either.

Last edited:

ryushin5

Website
So adding on to Xehanort possibly being retconned in his backstory I saw a height chart (Not sure if it's official or not) showing the heights of each character and the Younger Xehanort is slightly taller than the one in Scala Ad Caelum.

Also random question is Terranort the somebody that came back after Ansem Seeker of Darkness & Xemnas were defeated or was it Master Xehanort?

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
So adding on to Xehanort possibly being retconned in his backstory I saw a height chart (Not sure if it's official or not) showing the heights of each character and the Younger Xehanort is slightly taller than the one in Scala Ad Caelum.

Also random question is Terranort the somebody that came back after Ansem Seeker of Darkness & Xemnas were defeated or was it Master Xehanort?
View attachment 11753
Master Xehanort and Terra both reformed separately as Somebodies after Ansem and Xemnas were defeated. Then Young Xehanort brought Terranort's heart forward in time to possess Terra's body again.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'd be willing to accept this idea if Xehanort hadn't expressed so much disdain for the place. He genuinely seemed to hate it there, so what could possibly persuade him to come back?

Also, Young Xehanort's line to Sora in DDD bassically confirms that (at least at the time of the game's release) he had yet to ever leave the Destiny Islands.

Young Xehanort: "Returning to my own time will cause me to lose the memories and experiences I have gained here, but the appointed path is now etched in my heart. Which will first lead me to seek the outside world."
I paraphrased a tiny bit, but this was pretty much the what he said in DDD at the end of Sora's story. Doesn't this line suggest he had yet to travel to Scala? Also, in both DDD and KH3, he was addressed as the Xehanort from the most distant past/the first of the Xehanort's. I know this all could've been retconned, but those are pretty hard lines to ignore. I suppose it could help explain why he's so good with a Keyblade though. I imagine someone fresh to the weapon also wouldn't be pulling off all the crazy stuff we've seen him demonstrate either.

The whole being so good at wielding thing could very well be a byproduct of him being given the memories of his future.

(Also just a random thought, KH3D showed us that Master Xehanort could possess versions of himself at any point he wished to, but this is never addressed in KH3 or ever utilized despite the whole YMX boss battle in KH3D happening because MX took over his younger self’s body...I just wanted to make note of that because boy was that a waste of an interesting concept that would have completely reshaped the entire story of KH3 had Nomura remembered that was a damn thing.

Like Saix, rather than being in Berserker mode, could have been possessed by Xehanort as punishment for his betrayal...or like really all of the battles should have had MX as the puppet master where he takes over in a second phase of battle just to make him more menacing prior to the final conflict UGH I’m going to stop or I’ll get upset again)

Back