• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why I think Dream Drop Distance was bad for Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's not like a tv series at all. It's more like KH 1 and 2 are a tv series and all the other titles are web videos or novels. True the hd games are going to bring everything together but I think at this point only the big kh fans are going to buy the hd games. Kingdom hearts popularity was at its highest when kh2 came out. Many gaming websites now are annoyed at kingdom hearts saying it should either get on with it (kh3) or just die out. Unfortunately I think this has effected most people's view of the series meaning they're not even going to bother with the hd.

Is 1.5 remix going to be a digital download or an actual disc because that's going to effect sales as well

Web Episodes? That only shows me that you never grasped the actual importance of the handheld games.

You're very much reinforcing my point- inclusion of one side game produced a significant negative side effect for some KH2 players. This was a problem for the KH series and now we have at least four side games before KH3.

I quite doubt that, the negative effect, as you quite pointed out, was only for some players and that was certainly not the majority.
The only true side game is Re: Coded, the others aren't, and even that has two crucial points that tie into the main story.

Well I'll be damned. A little criticism equals rage and insults abound! Instead of getting offended like I criticised your personal brainchild, why not actually consider what I wrote?
The phone conversation trope is widely regarded as a lazy attempt to fit in plot points, but the use of memoirs is even worse since absolutely all story incorporation is lost- unless Sora reads out the memoirs in-game. A good game should be able to subtly incorporate vehemently important plot points for such game.

And all the hardcore fans of the show spit on you if you've missed any of the web episodes.

A little criticism? You're practically dismissing the memoirs-feature as inadequate when it is in reality quite sufficient to fill you in on all the important stuff that happened. Remember KH I and II? The main mysteries and plot explanations where explained in journal form there too!
What you depict here as "lazy attempt" from the developers looks more like as if you want the player to get everything explained in elaborate cutscenes and delivered on a silver platter. Just don't do any effort in order to understand things. Y'know, if you don't like the summaries in the memoirs or if they're not enough, how about looking into the actual episodes that tell that story?

These "web episodes" were stated from the very beginning to be crucial to the story and aren't "web episodes" at all but full blown entries in the series. It's not anyone's fault that some people fail to inform themselves.

Master Spockanort said:
And why do you consider them web episodes? They have always been stressed to be important to understand the story. BBS as "KH 0" and KH3D always as the prelude to KH3.
Probably because they don't have a number. /shot

Master Spockanort said:
Second, Square Enix has provided the way for people to play the games without spending that much money. If they don't take up the offer it is their own faults for not being able to understand the story. There is no excuse now and blaming the games is pointless. It's like watching a TV show and watching the second to final episode in the sixth season. They aren't going to take you through a recap of the series and then show the final episode. You have to watch it from the beginning. The episodes are there to watch, and you choose to be angry at the series for not holding your hand and making things clear for you because you didn't take the time to pay attention.

This is full of so much win, full agreement. ;)

Domination

Awards
I know this is a bit off topid but Spockanort's post got me thinking. Wouldn't it be certain that Kingdom Hearts 3 will be on the PS3? What would be the point of releasing a HD Collection (to boost popularity and gain hype for Kingdom Hearts 3) on one console and then release Kingdom Hearts 3 on the next gen console. I think this also certifies that Kingdom Hearts 3 won't be on the Xbox 360 or Wii U because 1.5 isn't going to be on those consoles.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Yes unfortunately they wouldn't by a ps3 even for kh3. If kh3 comes out on ps3 there's going to be a giant party at my apartment! A lot of my friends are considering siding with Sony next gen though just in case.

Sephimog (awesome name by the way) I'm actually more of a portable gamer so I actually completely understand the importance of the portable games because I love them so much. I don't understand why everyone thinks my reference to web videos meant I didn't take the games as seriously...my feelings are a little hurt *sob*

Everyone seems confident that 1.5 remix is going to be localized. Did I miss so something because I thought there where no plans to do that at the moment. Im super exited if there is though!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I know this is a bit off topid but Spockanort's post got me thinking. Wouldn't it be certain that Kingdom Hearts 3 will be on the PS3? What would be the point of releasing a HD Collection (to boost popularity and gain hype for Kingdom Hearts 3) on one console and then release Kingdom Hearts 3 on the next gen console. I think this also certifies that Kingdom Hearts 3 won't be on the Xbox 360 or Wii U because 1.5 isn't going to be on those consoles.

At least it gives a pretty strong hint towards that direction.
I remember Nomura also saying if possible he wants to release KH III on a current gen system.

As the first two console games where also on a Sony console and the collection is exclusive, yep, points strongly that way.

EDIT:
Yes unfortunately they wouldn't by a ps3 even for kh3. If kh3 comes out on ps3 there's going to be a giant party at my apartment! A lot of my friends are considering siding with Sony next gen though just in case.

Sephimog (awesome name by the way) I'm actually more of a portable gamer so I actually completely understand the importance of the portable games because I love them so much. I don't understand why everyone thinks my reference to web videos meant I didn't take the games as seriously...my feelings are a little hurt *sob*

Everyone seems confident that 1.5 remix is going to be localized. Did I miss so something because I thought there where no plans to do that at the moment. Im super exited if there is though!

Well, that's unfortunate then. The money issue is also widely acknowledged around here, but not being able to buy the game in question does not mean that you cannot keep yourself informed if you want to.
Not to mention that it has been pointed out several times by several people that the console spread is exactly one of the main reasons this HD collection is made, as Nomura himself acknowledged when BBS came out that the console spread adds another obstacle for understanding the series.

That's because I'm a member of the Moogle Army, lol, the Moogle in my Signature is my avatar. ;)
Oh well, I think it has not much to do actually with you personally but rather that just as some complainers are fed up with the "handhelds" some of the other faction are as well fed up with those always dismissing the other entries as inferior and only insist on the numbered titles.
There tends to be quite a bit of generalization I also won't make an exception for myself. I also forget sometimes to properly differentiate, but there's surely no real ill will consciously attached from my side. ^___^

Did you play DDD and unlocked the Secret Message when diving with Sora in the ending? It quite blatantly hints at the HD collection ("The past will be reawakened as a new number, in never before seen detail.").
This message was in the US and EU version as well, and from there many get the confidence that it will be localized.

Last edited:

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
If you feel like the story is confusing, that's why the developers added the Mementos. They've stated in interviews before that they feel it's hard for new players to grasp the story at this point.

Yessir_23

Awards
I quite doubt that, the negative effect, as you quite pointed out, was only for some players and that was certainly not the majority.
The only true side game is Re: Coded, the others aren't, and even that has two crucial points that tie into the main story.

A little criticism? You're practically dismissing the memoirs-feature as inadequate when it is in reality quite sufficient to fill you in on all the important stuff that happened. Remember KH I and II? The main mysteries and plot explanations where explained in journal form there too!

What you depict here as "lazy attempt" from the developers looks more like as if you want the player to get everything explained in elaborate cutscenes and delivered on a silver platter. Just don't do any effort in order to understand things. Y'know, if you don't like the summaries in the memoirs or if they're not enough, how about looking into the actual episodes that tell that story?

Did you play DDD and unlocked the Secret Message when diving with Sora in the ending? It quite blatantly hints at the HD collection ("The past will be reawakened as a new number, in never before seen detail.").
This message was in the US and EU version as well, and from there many get the confidence that it will be localized.
So my point is that so much crucial plot progression occurring in side games (for argument's sake I only call them side games because they have no number, and so they likely sold less and less people played them) will make some KH3 players irritated (likely moreso than KH2). You stated that all these games were important ("The only true side game is Re: Coded"), so of course you're reinforcing my point!

You missed my point. I am by no means dismissing the usefulness of memoirs. I'm sure you read my whole phone thing, so surely even you agree it's a bad way to present plot. I know, wouldn't really matter, unless the plot is supposed to me so bloody important, which it is, and unless the plot has gotten so bloody convoluted as Kingdom Hearts, which it has. Than it really, really does matter. In contrast, with KH1+2, they cover the plot of that same game in case you didn't understand something- who wouldn't think this is a good idea?

I didn't- read my post again.

I personally think you're dead wrong to think that important plot points don't need to be recapped within an epic finale. Also what's with you acting as if I've slapped you in the face?

A good game should be accessible to anyone (read my earlier posts on this if you want) A casual person should be able to feel satisfied with KH3 without studying the lore, at least in my opinion.

I believe I heard somewhere that KH is actually more popular outside of Japan, so it would make sense to release it overseas. We can hope so anyway ;)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
So my point is that so much crucial plot progression occurring in side games (for argument's sake I only call them side games because they have no number, and so they likely sold less and less people played them) will make some KH3 players irritated (likely moreso than KH2). You stated that all these games were important ("The only true side game is Re: Coded"), so of course you're reinforcing my point!

You missed my point. I am by no means dismissing the usefulness of memoirs. I'm sure you read my whole phone thing, so surely even you agree it's a bad way to present plot. I know, wouldn't really matter, unless the plot is supposed to me so bloody important, which it is, and unless the plot has gotten so bloody convoluted as Kingdom Hearts, which it has. Than it really, really does matter. In contrast, with KH1+2, they cover the plot of that same game in case you didn't understand something- who wouldn't think this is a good idea?

I didn't- read my post again.

I personally think you're dead wrong to think that important plot points don't need to be recapped within an epic finale. Also what's with you acting as if I've slapped you in the face?

A good game should be accessible to anyone (read my earlier posts on this if you want) A casual person should be able to feel satisfied with KH3 without studying the lore, at least in my opinion.

I believe I heard somewhere that KH is actually more popular outside of Japan, so it would make sense to release it overseas. We can hope so anyway ;)

See? And that's exactly the problem. It's not the fault of the games that less people played them because they had "no number in it". The number doesn't mean squat. These KH 3 players won't be irritated if they actually put some effort in learning about the important stuff, as by the time KH III finally comes about there will be vast possibilities to do so:

1. Informing through the net.
2. Play the actual games (which will mostly be negated by point 3).
3. Take a look at the HD Collections which bring it all together (most likely on the same console as KH III).
4. Use KH IIIs built-in feature for the background lore.

Point 4 is of pivotal interest as I doubt that they'll skip that after they already implemented it in DDD. And we don't know for certain how they will implement it in KH III anyways.

The point I make is that there is no need to be irritated as (which Master Spockanort also pointed out) there is enough possibility to inform yourself. People who watch Revenge of the Sith first or Return of the Jedi with informing themselves of the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones or A New Hope and Empire Strikes back are going to be irritated as well on some plot points.
You won't get a full blown recap of everything in any final episode of something.

To be completely honest I don't even understand what that telephone bit was supposed to be about. You cannot explain all this stuff in-universe because there is no character in-universe who knows every connection and how everything ties together. Not even Yen Sid, Xehanort, Ansem the Wise and Naminé, who are the four most knowledgeable characters in-universe, can explain everything that is covered in the memoirs because they don't know some of those connections.
Take the events from BBS as an example, no one could give a clear testimony in-universe about what occured there in full because Mickey or anyone else only experienced bits and parts of the whole tale.
Furthermore, as the Xehanort Reports in BBS show, some people in-universe are shown to be quite unreliable narrators and do not give information objectively like the memoirs or journals do.
I just re-read every chronicle and then the glossary in DDD, and I can actually piece together the "convoluted" plot of the series so far pretty neat at least on a surface level without consulting any interview or one of the other games.
DDD also covers the plot of that same game, in the reports section of Sora and Riku as well.

But they are recapped, and I'm quite sure that KH III will feature something similar to the memoirs as well. I'm not acting like that, if it comes over that way I apologize, I just for the damn can't wrap my head around what you exactly want more? Everything needed to know IS THERE, it only requires a bit of reading.

A casual person should also be smart enough to know that if he/she buys a later installment of a series with a continuous story that they might encounter plot points from earlier installments they don't immediately understands. If said game provides opportunities to get up to speed on things in-game there's enough done. People who already know what's going on would only be bored by escalating recaps (and it takes important game time, too), so the developers have to balance things out. The casuals cannot expect to get everything spoon-fed.
There are so many examples, like in Lord of the Rings, if you start with the Two Towers, do you really expect that they explain again how Boromir died in Fellowship, the first book? Nope, they just inform you that he did and why in one sentence, no lengthy recap despite it being a major event and plot point.

In terms of numbers that's not so surprising since population in the west is generally higher than in Japan, but them including the blatant hints in western releases as well as the possible gain they could make it leaves already a strong impression for a western release.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
I think it would be cool if they could integrate a synopsis of the series in the tutorial of kingdom hearts 3. Not sure how they would do it but that way newcomers could learn the series lore while playing the game.

Story wise I think this should be the Metal Gear Solid 4 of Kingdom Hearts. Not in the sense of hour long cutscenes but having almost all the plot points of the entire series explained and resolved. Basically having every question answered.

I agree a good game should be assessable to everyone. Yesterday I spent a couple hours explaining the entire series of assasin's creed to a freind so he could understand what was going on in three. In the end I was just so confused why the game didn't explain things well enough for people new to the series.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I know this is a slightly old comment you made, but when you compared KH3D, BBS, etc. to web series... Personally, I find Web Series a LOT easier to access than TV shows. In this day and age, a lot of people barely use their TV anymore because you can pretty much see anything in the internet.

I think it would be cool if they could integrate a synopsis of the series in the tutorial of kingdom hearts 3. Not sure how they would do it but that way newcomers could learn the series lore while playing the game.
*cough* Momentos *cough*

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if the people don't want to do a quick brush up on Wikipedia to catch up on the story, that's all on them. If someone chose to watch Return of the King after Fellowship of the Ring and then skip the Two Towers, that's all on them. It's unfair to those who have stuck around for the series all this time to have to go through a ginormous recap of all the games just because people are lazy. SE has given the people PLENTY of opportunities to catch up on the series even if you have not played all the games. If some players are unwilling to take any of those opportunities, then it's their own fault if they are confused and I have no sympathy towards them.

Shoot, when I first got into Doctor Who I was super confused. What did I do? Not complain to BBC and saying that they should rewrite the series so every toddler can understand it, that's for sure! I went to that thing called "the internet" and did my research. Got myself caught up, and then began watching the current Doctor Who episodes. It's really not that hard.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
And I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if the people don't want to do a quick brush up on Wikipedia to catch up on the story, that's all on them. If someone chose to watch Return of the King after Fellowship of the Ring and then skip the Two Towers, that's all on them. It's unfair to those who have stuck around for the series all this time to have to go through a ginormous recap of all the games just because people are lazy. SE has given the people PLENTY of opportunities to catch up on the series even if you have not played all the games. If some players are unwilling to take any of those opportunities, then it's their own fault if they are confused and I have no sympathy towards them.

Shoot, when I first got into Doctor Who I was super confused. What did I do? Not complain to BBC and saying that they should rewrite the series so every toddler can understand it, that's for sure! I went to that thing called "the internet" and did my research. Got myself caught up, and then began watching the current Doctor Who episodes. It's really not that hard.

The funny thing is that those people do not even need to consult Wikipedia, as starting with DDD the games themselves give the opportunity to read up on things.

I completely agree otherwise with the points you made.

Yessir_23

Awards
See? And that's exactly the problem. It's not the fault of the games that less people played them because they had "no number in it". The number doesn't mean squat. These KH 3 players won't be irritated if they actually put some effort in learning about the important stuff, as by the time KH III finally comes about there will be vast possibilities to do so:

1. Informing through the net.
2. Play the actual games (which will mostly be negated by point 3).
3. Take a look at the HD Collections which bring it all together (most likely on the same console as KH III).
4. Use KH IIIs built-in feature for the background lore.

Point 4 is of pivotal interest as I doubt that they'll skip that after they already implemented it in DDD. And we don't know for certain how they will implement it in KH III anyways.

The point I make is that there is no need to be irritated as (which Master Spockanort also pointed out) there is enough possibility to inform yourself. People who watch Revenge of the Sith first or Return of the Jedi with informing themselves of the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones or A New Hope and Empire Strikes back are going to be irritated as well on some plot points.
You won't get a full blown recap of everything in any final episode of something.

To be completely honest I don't even understand what that telephone bit was supposed to be about. You cannot explain all this stuff in-universe because there is no character in-universe who knows every connection and how everything ties together. Not even Yen Sid, Xehanort, Ansem the Wise and Naminé, who are the four most knowledgeable characters in-universe, can explain everything that is covered in the memoirs because they don't know some of those connections.
Take the events from BBS as an example, no one could give a clear testimony in-universe about what occured there in full because Mickey or anyone else only experienced bits and parts of the whole tale.
Furthermore, as the Xehanort Reports in BBS show, some people in-universe are shown to be quite unreliable narrators and do not give information objectively like the memoirs or journals do.
I just re-read every chronicle and then the glossary in DDD, and I can actually piece together the "convoluted" plot of the series so far pretty neat at least on a surface level without consulting any interview or one of the other games.
DDD also covers the plot of that same game, in the reports section of Sora and Riku as well.

But they are recapped, and I'm quite sure that KH III will feature something similar to the memoirs as well. I'm not acting like that, if it comes over that way I apologize, I just for the damn can't wrap my head around what you exactly want more? Everything needed to know IS THERE, it only requires a bit of reading.

A casual person should also be smart enough to know that if he/she buys a later installment of a series with a continuous story that they might encounter plot points from earlier installments they don't immediately understands. If said game provides opportunities to get up to speed on things in-game there's enough done. People who already know what's going on would only be bored by escalating recaps (and it takes important game time, too), so the developers have to balance things out. The casuals cannot expect to get everything spoon-fed.
There are so many examples, like in Lord of the Rings, if you start with the Two Towers, do you really expect that they explain again how Boromir died in Fellowship, the first book? Nope, they just inform you that he did and why in one sentence, no lengthy recap despite it being a major event and plot point.

In terms of numbers that's not so surprising since population in the west is generally higher than in Japan, but them including the blatant hints in western releases as well as the possible gain they could make it leaves already a strong impression for a western release.
I think I've been coming across as completely anti-Kingdom Hearts, but I assure you I'm not. Despite what I see as many shortcomings, I'm still interested in the series but I'm concerned, rightfully so imo, by how KH3 may be presented. Particularly because I first played Kingdom Hearts 2 out of the blue and the first playthrough was one of the best times I've ever had playing any game.
Come on, that isn't what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that because so many crucial plot points have been introduced after KH2, and KH3 should at least use cutscenes to reference them and briefly discuss their relevance. Because if they are kept in memoirs, people may miss them. Again, missing small plot points is fine, but not major ones.
You don't need one character to explain everything (in fact, that would be annoying). RPGs are longs, so you can afford to have these things happen throughout the game.
AHA! Here's the thing- that one sentence was very important for Tolkien and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about for Kingdom Hearts 3. The way things are going, if KH3 was Lord of the Rings it wouldn't have that one sentence in. This means it would have many important scenes revolving around Denethor being angry, but it wouldn't tell us why he was angry, because the sentence about Boromir is missing, and hence as one goes about the game all the characters understand why Denethor is so angry, but the actual player wouldn't understand why.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
At first i thought kh ddd was unecessary, because i felt that the other three side stories gave us enough information on the myseries of the previous games, and told us the plot of kh3. But after finishing kh ddd, i realize the importance of the game, and why it was a good idea to have one more game before kh3. It let us know the new force we were up against, it completed riku's character development, and it allowed sora to understand the pain of those connected to him, strengthening his resolve to save them. But more importantly, it gave us the plot for kh3, and what is at stake if the heros failed. Kh 3d main job was setting the stage for kh3, and while not a perfect game, did the job well in my opinion

Happyfunshineman

Awards
I think to fix the whole issue kh3 should just have a 'previously in kh' option your can watch before you start playing the game. It's lame that people don't get to play all the other games but I guess I can't change that for them which sucks. If kh3 will be a ps3 game they could have the synopsis play wall the game is downloading to the system considering how boring it is to have to wait for the system to do that. Now that I think about it that's a really good idea, square should do that!

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I think to fix the whole issue kh3 should just have a 'previously in kh' option your can watch before you start playing the game. It's lame that people don't get to play all the other games but I guess I can't change that for them which sucks. If kh3 will be a ps3 game they could have the synopsis play wall the game is downloading to the system considering how boring it is to have to wait for the system to do that. Now that I think about it that's a really good idea, square should do that!

You know how long that would take? One word: YOUTUBE.

Don't be lazy and just read. Also, the introduction videos always recap what happened before. Sure, they don't explain anything but the Memoirs solve that problem.

Like it has been said before, you can't walk into a game series with a continuous storyline and expect to understand everything from the get-go. They already covered that with the Memoirs. Still need more information? Then you need to search for said information on your own. Simple.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
You could explain kh in 15 minutes. I know that sounds crazy for a series with so much information but it's very possible. I had an English class in collage were we would explain entire book series (or just up to the current installment) in five minutes. That was a hard class but I'm glad to say its all possible.

I don't see why there is so much hate for giving the players all the information they need to know from kh3 in kh3. In ffxiii-2 they had a section right on the main menu where you could get a recap of the original game.

My first metal gear solid game was metal gear solid 2. I heard from people that I didn't really need to play the first game to understand the second so I didn't do a wiki search. However the first thing I do in every game is make sure I don't miss anything in the main menu and options which lead me to an mgs1 recap which I was eternally greatful to.

I'm just saying the information should be laid out to you in one place (though I guess that could be a wiki page). What if someone's Internet was down the week kh3 came out? Im not sure if there's a right answer for all of this. We'll get what we get in kh3 and I guess that's final.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
You could explain kh in 15 minutes. I know that sounds crazy for a series with so much information but it's very possible. I had an English class in collage were we would explain entire book series (or just up to the current installment) in five minutes. That was a hard class but I'm glad to say its all possible.

I don't see why there is so much hate for giving the players all the information they need to know from kh3 in kh3. In ffxiii-2 they had a section right on the main menu where you could get a recap of the original game.

My first metal gear solid game was metal gear solid 2. I heard from people that I didn't really need to play the first game to understand the second so I didn't do a wiki search. However the first thing I do in every game is make sure I don't miss anything in the main menu and options which lead me to an mgs1 recap which I was eternally greatful to.

I'm just saying the information should be laid out to you in one place (though I guess that could be a wiki page). What if someone's Internet was down the week kh3 came out? Im not sure if there's a right answer for all of this. We'll get what we get in kh3 and I guess that's final.

Memoirs recap the whole series, each game individually and they're found in one place, nicely sorted by game. It takes you less than 15 minutes to read it. What do you need more man? Seriously dude, stop this discussion 'cause it's going nowhere.

The Memoirs serve as a recap. They're good enough seeing how they give the player every piece of information needed to understand the story. Do you have the need to delve into the story more deeply? Either buy the games (which will probably be solved with the HD Collections) or use Youtube.

People already said that they want the Memoirs to make a re-appearance in KH 3. Therefore, this discussion is over, seeing how you seem to want the same thing (which will probably happen).

Happyfunshineman

Awards
"therefore, this discussion is over, seeing how you want the same thing (which will probably happen)."

Haha! That's where your wrong....no Im just messing around. You bring up good points so I'll let it go.

My I just say though that while I liked the idea of memoirs, they felt awkwardly placed. It's a good idea but it took me out if the experience (I read them all to make sure they were good recaps, which they were!). Maybe they could make them more entertaining with music playing in the background and have characters from the games read them?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I think I've been coming across as completely anti-Kingdom Hearts, but I assure you I'm not. Despite what I see as many shortcomings, I'm still interested in the series but I'm concerned, rightfully so imo, by how KH3 may be presented. Particularly because I first played Kingdom Hearts 2 out of the blue and the first playthrough was one of the best times I've ever had playing any game.
Come on, that isn't what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that because so many crucial plot points have been introduced after KH2, and KH3 should at least use cutscenes to reference them and briefly discuss their relevance. Because if they are kept in memoirs, people may miss them. Again, missing small plot points is fine, but not major ones.
You don't need one character to explain everything (in fact, that would be annoying). RPGs are longs, so you can afford to have these things happen throughout the game.
AHA! Here's the thing- that one sentence was very important for Tolkien and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about for Kingdom Hearts 3. The way things are going, if KH3 was Lord of the Rings it wouldn't have that one sentence in. This means it would have many important scenes revolving around Denethor being angry, but it wouldn't tell us why he was angry, because the sentence about Boromir is missing, and hence as one goes about the game all the characters understand why Denethor is so angry, but the actual player wouldn't understand why.

For me it's not so much about being pro- or anti-Kingdom Hearts, but more like "bean counting" and wanting to take every newcomer by the hand for every step in the plot, which by now has been pointed out by several people the game is not obliged to do.
The "briefly discuss their relevance" is wasting screentime and considering all the plotlines KH 3 has to address and solve a bad idea. That would result in a severe backlash from the other side of the fandom that "proper conclusion of many long running plotlines was dampered and not detailed enough because too much space was wasted to discuss stuff from before that's already known."
Even in my own story I was scolded by my FF.net beta reader (an author who majors in English) that I shouldn't recap so much stuff as it breaks the flow of the story. She said to me: "The majority of people who will read your piece will know that it is a continuation and be familiar with the important background events". So I know what issue I'm talking about. By trying to be "newbie-friendly" I broke the main narrative and flow of the plot.
If this information is however kept in memoirs, and there is (like in DDD as well) a notice that important information is unlocked, there's at least to possibility provided to deepen the knowledge. If the player in question then chooses to ignore it that's not the game's fault.

There's still a logical fault in that, as in the same book Aragorn and co. are also seen giving a funeral to Boromir with the boat and Faramir later sees it. So the reader/player would very well know why Denethor is throwing several angry fits later, because his son is frickin' dead, the scene would still be understandable. How he died (by fighting Uruk-Hai in the first book) is never addressed in detail again, and that would be what is written in the memoirs, a call back to "Fellowship" isn't needed.
Or to go back to a KH example, it is sufficient enough to know that Roxas was born when Sora stabbed himself and became a Heartless shortly in order to understand why Roxas exists. How all that went down and why Sora stabbed himself is part of KH 1 and it's enough to write that out in the memoirs.

There isn't any hate for that, as the Memoirs DO EXACTLY what you want, and the chance is very high that they will be in KH 3 as well.
You can get the recaps of the older games in KH as well right from the main menu, just like in FF XIII-2, like king_mickey_rule, I really fail to grasp what the discussion actually is about.
There may however be some "hate" (I'd like to call it more dislike or incomprehension, as "hate" is a pretty strong world) that people want it to get spoon-fed instead of actually putting some slight effort into it.

It IS laid out in one place, in the chronicles menu. <__<

My I just say though that while I liked the idea of memoirs, they felt awkwardly placed. It's a good idea but it took me out if the experience (I read them all to make sure they were good recaps, which they were!). Maybe they could make them more entertaining with music playing in the background and have characters from the games read them?

They're as easily reached as the recap of FF XIII in FF XIII-2 and unlocked at pivotal points during the story of DDD which help to put them in context.
Wut? Do Hope or Lightning read the recap of FF XIII out loud in FF XIII-2? I originally meant that "too lazy to read" as a joke but I slowly start to ask myself if there's some merit to it after all.
The chronicles recap everything very well, which you admit yourself, and even have changing background images from the game you are just recapping while scrolling down.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
I see your point. The thing is whenever I go on gaming websites and read reviews for kh games they always complain about this stuff. Every time I wonder 'how could we fix this for them.' then again they also usually like to call kh a lame dumb down ff game full of gays which shows how much they know. You have no place in my perfect world if you don't like kingdom hearts.

Of topic but how do you respond to someone's message with quotes from older posts in it. The things where it's in a little box and says 'originally posted by what's-his-face'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back