• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why must everything have lyrics?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ta-Chan

/E S C A P E;;ǝɹnlıɐɟ
Whenever I show someone some instrumental music (I listen to lots of anime and video game soundtracks) they ask 'Does it have any words?' and when I tell them that it doesn't I feel like they don't like the song as much as they would have if there were.

It made me wonder why do people always assume that most songs have lyrics?

Discuss

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Because the radio plays more songs WITH words than without.

Of course, unless you have some classical or jazz stations, or satellite radio.

People are used to vocals.

Ta-Chan

/E S C A P E;;ǝɹnlıɐɟ
Because the radio plays more songs WITH words than without.

Of course, unless you have some classical or jazz stations, or satellite radio.

People are used to vocals.

yes, but why would it make the song worse unless it was composed to be accompanied by lyrics?

edit:
Sometimes people think the song is all about the lyrics.
Some people think they're all about the music, and some enjoy both.

But i think you should give every type a chance, it's not like all music needs lyrics to be good in my opinion.
well, exactly

I like both and even like music with japanese lyrics, so it's not a problem for me if a song has lyrics or what language they're in

Ta-Chan

/E S C A P E;;ǝɹnlıɐɟ
Its because words give the songs a unique feel

I disagree, because what makes the songs unique is what instruments are used, the basic melody, etc.

Thats why I can tell two songs apart when I'm listening to my instrumental music

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
You know, the way a song sounds is what makes it unique, vocals or no. That's why you can tell a song from another, or a band from another even if it's the same song.

Zexilicious

I take a potato chip and EAT IT!
Eating Rosebud Frozen Green Peas. Full of Country
Cause most people are accustomed to the lyrics in the song. People honestly don't care about the music anymore, just the lyrics. It makes me somewhat angry to see that, but it's just the way most people's musical taste work.

But then again, most of the music some of these people listen to is better off with lyrics then without. Because if it didn't have lyrics then all it would be is simple guitar chords played over and over again with the same drum beat going in the background. Rather boring to say the least.

I know that's being incredibly biased since I know all people don't listen to just stuff like that. But the point is that instrumental music is something you need to have a taste for. It's not something that most people can just turn on and thoroughly enjoy.

Ta-Chan

/E S C A P E;;ǝɹnlıɐɟ
Cause most people are accustomed to the lyrics in the song. People honestly don't care about the music anymore, just the lyrics. It makes me somewhat angry to see that, but it's just the way most people's musical taste work.

But then again, most of the music some of these people listen to is better off with lyrics then without. Because if it didn't have lyrics then all it would be is simple guitar chords played over and over again with the same drum beat going in the background. Rather boring to say the least.

I know that's being incredibly biased since I know all people don't listen to just stuff like that. But the point is that instrumental music is something you need to have a taste for. It's not something that most people can just turn on and thoroughly enjoy.
it makes me angry too. but what makes me angrier is that all they care about is the lyrics and they don't even listen to them.

example: Most people that don't like the song 'I kissed a girl' didn't like the fact that it's about a girl kissing another and liking it. the song is ACTUALLY about a girl who was drunk at a party and decided to try to kiss a girl just to see what it's like.

Also, I agree with the rest of your post, especially about how how many songs are only a few chords

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
You don't need lyrics for a good song.

Most of the time, the better pieces of music I've heard don't have lyrics. In fact, most of them are even orchestral.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Eh, true.

Still, I'd rather it be just a good song than good lyrics.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
I'm not so sure. I mean, I listen to instrumentals, but I feel like if the lyrics are written well, there's symbolism and meaning. It adds that extra depth that you can't achieve easily through just written notation. It's a rare band that can do that, though.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
You can't really sing along to music without lyrics.
But I like both.

D

Deleted member 36435

because people don't appreciate music for what it is anymore. it's become hipster trash that is only listened to because it uses some "catchy" lyrics.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I'm not so sure. I mean, I listen to instrumentals, but I feel like if the lyrics are written well, there's symbolism and meaning. It adds that extra depth that you can't achieve easily through just written notation. It's a rare band that can do that, though.

Lol rap.

Ta-Chan

/E S C A P E;;ǝɹnlıɐɟ
because people don't appreciate music for what it is anymore. it's become hipster trash that is only listened to because it uses some "catchy" lyrics.

Exactly, and if that's what north america has become in this day and age i don't even want to think about the future

Reifon

I seperate all of my music that has lyrics and my instrumentals. So whenever I listen to a playlist, i'd never mix and match, because it can sometimes throw off the mood. Like when you just finished listening to a deep ass song with lyrics, and J-E-N-O-V-A shows up because you forgot to turn Shuffle off -_-. I used to be a rap person, but because of my obsession with j-pop, I've given all that up. I no longer listen to R&B, Rap, or any of that other mainstream crap I used too.I'm strictly J-Pop now :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back