• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why must everything have lyrics?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
why is there more than one page on this. your friends are just dumb when it comes to muzak or smart enough not to like your shitty OSTs.

I seperate all of my music that has lyrics and my instrumentals. So whenever I listen to a playlist, i'd never mix and match, because it can sometimes throw off the mood. Like when you just finished listening to a deep ass song with lyrics, and J-E-N-O-V-A shows up because you forgot to turn Shuffle off -_-. I used to be a rap person, but because of my obsession with j-pop, I've given all that up. I no longer listen to R&B, Rap, or any of that other mainstream crap I used too.I'm strictly J-Pop now :/

Instrumentals are great as interludes on playlists. Having a "deep ass song" and then 7 Ghosts I is awesome.

Also, I like instrumentals in general, too.

So yeah, your friends are idiots, etc etc.

Reifon

Instrumentals are great as interludes on playlists. Having a "deep ass song" and then 7 Ghosts I is awesome.

Also, I like instrumentals in general, too.

So yeah, your friends are idiots, etc etc.

I see what you mean,but only if the instrumental was 1 or 2mins tops, unlike how most of them are 6 mins or greater.

Darkness of White

Wow it's been a long time
Website
lighthearts.proboards104.com
I believe it's because people are relying on words to communicate everything more and more and are losing the ability to communicate through other means. Instrumental music is able to communicate emotions in ways that words can't. People just don't seem to understand that as well as they used to.

qster

The Last Bulbasaur
Sometimes people think the song is all about the lyrics.
Some people think they're all about the music, and some enjoy both.

But i think you should give every type a chance, it's not like all music needs lyrics to be good in my opinion.
HUGE example: Video game music is always better than songs with vocals.

testify

Fighter of the Nightman
Awards
I believe it's because people are relying on words to communicate everything more and more and are losing the ability to communicate through other means. Instrumental music is able to communicate emotions in ways that words can't. People just don't seem to understand that as well as they used to.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
Whenever I show someone some instrumental music (I listen to lots of anime and video game soundtracks) they ask 'Does it have any words?' and when I tell them that it doesn't I feel like they don't like the song as much as they would have if there were.

It made me wonder why do people always assume that most songs have lyrics?

Discuss
Do play an instrument, or have you had even an introduction to formal music theory?
I ask because I think it's easier for those who do play to appreciate the music just as much as (if not more than) the lyrics.
That's not to say that you HAVE to play, but I certainly helps.

As for your choice in instrumentals, eh.
I prefer classical, jazz, jazz-fusion, rock/metal, and especially prog.

listen to some house or electro, brah.
Oh, and this

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
Vocals are just another instrument, but they're also the most accessible since everyone, well, you know, talks.

That being said, vocals are also the most wonderful part of the song because not only do they convey some kind of meaning, they also produce the widest variety of sounds of any instrument. A guitar can only do much, can only be prepared in so many ways or can only be modified in so many ways. Voices, however, allow for infinite variety, due to pitch, word choice, vocal modification, and the fact that everyone sings differently.

Besides, instrumental stuff (*coughpostrock*) tends to be lame. Classical is cool, modern classical is cooler, and house and electronica, sure, but the majority of stuff released today as purely instrumental is just boring.

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Whenever I show someone some instrumental music (I listen to lots of anime and video game soundtracks) they ask 'Does it have any words?' and when I tell them that it doesn't I feel like they don't like the song as much as they would have if there were.

It made me wonder why do people always assume that most songs have lyrics?

Discuss

Well you have to remember words allow the song to be remembered. orchestral pieces don't necessarily follow the theme of Verse-Chorus/Verse-Chorus/Verse-Chorus,etc. Its easier to remember a song that has a set form and therefore these songs stay as the ones many people appreciate. The problem in this case for people who don't already appreciate music without words or vocals is the kind of music it is. Its best to introduce them to orchestral music that has a recurring theme. a movie soundtrack for instance, such as Dragonheart, or peter pan. IF multiple tracks repeate a theme its easier to remember the theme. but not necesarily the song.

Its because words give the songs a unique feel

words alone do not do this

because people don't appreciate music for what it is anymore. it's become hipster trash that is only listened to because it uses some "catchy" lyrics.

Defiantly working on it
lol Defiantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back