• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS Novel Set Released!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Good morning everyone! Feels like lately we've been up to our necks in merchandise galore, don't you think? 

Only yesterday, September 27th, 2012 did the KINGDOM HEARTS Novel Set release! The set contains a total of 20 novels (the series total) and is available for 14,450円 (roughly $185.44 USD) on the Square Enix e-STORE. This is really convenient (albeit expensive) as the earlier released books have become increasingly more difficult to find! To the collectors and fans of the novels, hope you take advantage of this opportunity!

Source: bKvEBVAvUq

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
And now this is the PERFECT chance for SENA and SE-EU to...maybe, just maybe, translate them for us loving foreigners who would love to own the novels :3 But instead of a big set, make it a set per game for like $19.99 each, yeah ;A; *too hopeful for something that will never happen*

I just want to read the cute moments everybody has. The novels expand on each character so much more than the games, and clearly explains things that get explained in later games. Like we knew from the KH2 novel that when a person's Heartless and Nobody are destroyed, they return as a whole person so we knew Axel would come back and a chance for others. It took until Re:coded's secret ending for that to even be a confirmed fact.

Or Vanitas' story, and the Terra thing in the Side Riku novel

And when I think about it, the KH2 novels show more sides to Sora than the game gave us. All of the inner dialogues show just how intelligent Sora always has been.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It'd be really nice for SENA to allow these novels to be brought over.

There are just enough crazy fans to make it a profitable decision. <3

WaveK89

It'd be really nice for SENA to allow these novels to be brought over.

There are just enough crazy fans to make it a profitable decision. <3

Exactly! Possibly dumb question though. I often wondered if the novels are considered canon to the games or not? At least, in are standpoint as well as say, Nomura's possible standpoint.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Exactly! Possibly dumb question though. I often wondered if the novels are considered canon to the games or not? At least, in are standpoint as well as say, Nomura's possible standpoint.

They are...canon in that they do tend to contain information that ends up being in future games, give a bit of a more in-depth look into certain events.

1st Tier - Games
2nd Tier - Interviews
3rd Tier - Novels

You could also say:

1st Tier - Games & Interviews (because by now interviews are almost like required literature for understanding the games xD)
2nd Tier - Novels

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I think most, myself included, consider them to be at least partially canon, because they are pretty good supplements to the series. If the videogames ever disputed an event that happened in the novels, we would consider that non-canonical. I treat them as if they are gaiden - offering different perspectives, but I suppose technically they are not. It definitely makes a lot of "what ifs" more concrete. EDIT: ninja'd

8D SENA. Answer our cries.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Ugh, I'm torn. Part of me hopes that they'll translate all of these and bring them over, but some of thinks it'll never happen. If it is never gonna happen, I'd best buy this set now for Xmas or something because as stated in the first post "the first books are very hard to find nowadays." Can anyone who can read that page tell me if this collection is limited? If so, for how long (if it says) and what would be the best way of trying to get collection? Would Play-Asia have it or is there some way I can buy that collection online. 20 novels for $140 is really only $7 a book, most short novels/mangas here cost around $10 so that isn't bad at all.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The awesome thing about the novels is that it tends to stay very close to the story without being stale and a lot of the inner monologues and dialogues create some fascinating character developments. Like reading goldpanner's translations of [Reverse/Rebith] Riku's Story gives a great look into just how far Riku was manipulated by Maleficent by her being kind and "mother-like", and expands on things that happened the night DI was destroyed.

Ugh, I'm torn. Part of me hopes that they'll translate all of these and bring them over, but some of thinks it'll never happen. If it is never gonna happen, I'd best buy this set now for Xmas or something because as stated in the first post "the first books are very hard to find nowadays." Can anyone who can read that page tell me if this collection is limited? If so, for how long (if it says) and what would be the best way of trying to get collection? Would Play-Asia have it or is there some way I can buy that collection online. 20 novels for $140 is really only $7 a book, most short novels/mangas here cost around $10 so that isn't bad at all.

Um, it doesn't say anything about being limited. Your better bet would be buying from a Japanese import retailer that specializes in books. Or like...Kinokuniya.

Yes, the novels have always been cheap. $6~ USD per book.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I read the 358/2 Days novel translations the other day, and I was so happy to get all the extra details they give.(Thanks goldpanner<3) I really wish they would just translate and release them outside of Japan. I know I would buy them.
But this collection is kind of tempting because of the chance there may not be an international release. Thanks for the news~

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Mann! I want them to hold off translating them until I am working for them >8D

/pipe dream

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Oh, is that what it was? I saw it and was like "wut haba dis eb? iog its past mifnight., wat uis dis -sleeeep-"

^True story, ask Gexus.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Oh, is that what it was? I saw it and was like "wut haba dis eb? iog its past mifnight., wat uis dis -sleeeep-"

^True story, ask Gexus.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihh! Mhhhmmm, testify!

Chistosa

Awards
I soooo want these. ;A; Why aren't SE/Disney tranlating these for the rest of the world to enjoy? They could bundle all of the KH1 novels into one....and do the same for CoM, Days, KH2, etc. ON HARDBACK!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Um, it doesn't say anything about being limited. Your better bet would be buying from a Japanese import retailer that specializes in books. Or like...Kinokuniya.

Do you think Kinokuniya will get this collection? Or do you think it'll end up being an online exclusive or something...if not, I'll go check out my Kinokuniya Store soon, long enough for them to receive it if they order it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Do you think Kinokuniya will get this collection? Or do you think it'll end up being an online exclusive or something...if not, I'll go check out my Kinokuniya Store soon, long enough for them to receive it if they order it.

You could ask your Kinokuniya to special order it, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back