• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

RPGSite Talks Kingdom Hearts III With Tetsuya Nomura!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Published today, RPGSite.net had the opportunity to interview Kingdom Hearts creator Tetsuya Nomura. They talk about various topics including Kingdom Hearts III, Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX-, and Final Fantasy XV. You can read this interview at their site!

Thanks to forum member wii.red24 for the find!

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
I love reading about Nomura. Everything about him fascinates me. I think if i had a list of the people that i really want to meet once and shake hands with them Nomura will be at top 3.

TheSupremeFace

Hmm, we have to find the source of Nomura's greatness... Let's see. Nomura starts with the letter N. The first half of Nomura is Nom, which resembles the sound of omnomnomnom. So then, what is his source?
- Something starting with the letter N
- It is food related
- It's amazing
...................................I GOT IT! his source is.......NUTELLA!!!! no wonder he's so awesome

captain

Bronze Member
I hate when they call the handheld titles spinoffs. I'll agree that days & coded are basically side stories. But Birth By Sleep and 3D are basically full numbered titles (along with both versions of CoM). Besides two games (three if you count Re:CoM), the majority of the series has been these handheld games.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I hate when they call the handheld titles spinoffs. I'll agree that days & coded are basically side stories. But Birth By Sleep and 3D are basically full numbered titles (along with both versions of CoM). Besides two games (three if you count Re:CoM), the majority of the series has been these handheld games.

Keep in mind that his definition of "spinoff" seems to differ from what's more commonly being used here in the west. I wouldn't put as much weight on it as him undermining the games he so greatly has been insisting were on par with numbered titles for the past few years.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Wasn't it already cleared up with the E3 interview that the term "spin-off" does not have the same negative meaning in Japan as we westerners associate with it?

Nomura has stressed numerous times especially the importance of Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance, and beside that he probably does not even know the detailed definition of what "spin-off" actually means in English.

Kingdom Hearts Mobile, V-Cast or the new KH x[chi] are true spin-offs when applying the definition of "spin-off" in the closest sense.

Edit: Ninja'd by Sign, xD

Vaddix

Awards
Wait, did Nomura seriously just use the "because reasons" excuse? I thought this was a Square Enix employee, when did this become Tumblr??

(In all seriousness, I'm very curious what in the world those "reasons" might be/why he's...secretive about it...)

Gram

Banned
Awards
Good interview, it's nice to know that kh1 final mix is something that he's actually content with and dont have the lingering "I couldve added this" thoughts.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I liked this interview. It's also nice to know that he likes KH1FM just the way it is, makes it seem like the game really that which it's suppose to be.

I'm curious what the reasons were, though I guess these were internal affairs which they'll never reveal.

Love how he says his characters are his kids and he'd never think of abandoning them.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I didn't know his favorite genre for film was Horror, nor that he liked Les Miserables.

Also, interesting to think that FFXV and KHIII are sort of competing with each other. Until now, their relationship has been defined largely as borrowing from each other.

Also, I think Nomura is not quite in touch with gamers, with regards to comparisons. "From the user's point of view, I don't think they worry about these things, or think 'which is better?' or anything like that"

That's all people seem to do these days. Even different game franchises are viewed that way.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Also, I think Nomura is not quite in touch with gamers, with regards to comparisons. "From the user's point of view, I don't think they worry about these things, or think 'which is better?' or anything like that"

That's all people seem to do these days. Even different game franchises are viewed that way.

lol I thought the exact same thing. I was like, "dafaq did I just read?!? Are Japanese gamers like that or something because the US is the complete opposite." Regardless if that's what Nomura thinks the world is like or not, the games have been good thus far so I'll let him continue on thinking that if it means getting the quality games we do ^_^

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
lol I thought the exact same thing. I was like, "dafaq did I just read?!? Are Japanese gamers like that or something because the US is the complete opposite." Regardless if that's what Nomura thinks the world is like or not, the games have been good thus far so I'll let him continue on thinking that if it means getting the quality games we do ^_^
Yeah, I've noticed it seems that websites in general seem to be primarily dominated by Americans.

It goes without saying that there are other people, but really

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm curious what the reasons were, though I guess these were internal affairs which they'll never reveal.

Love how he says his characters are his kids and he'd never think of abandoning them.

I dare assume that some things are also simply not the business of the fans, magazines or gamers. They are not obligated to explain themselves for every little thing or decision they made.

That bit about seeing his characters as his kids is really cute though, and may give some insight on why Nomura treats his characters the way he does. ;)

I've to say though that I found Nomura's stance on this to be way better and, well, healthier than what many western gamers apparently do today.
Rarely can something nowadays be enjoyed for simply what it is.
Nope, there must always comparisons being made and be said "this is better, or cooler, or whatever", causing strife and bickering among the populace.

The internet has arguably made this even worse because those who are always bitching and ranting about what they don't like, don't want or hate seem to be nearly always the loudest and most obtrusive voices heard.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I didn't know his favorite genre for film was Horror, nor that he liked Les Miserables.

Also, interesting to think that FFXV and KHIII are sort of competing with each other. Until now, their relationship has been defined largely as borrowing from each other.

I believe he is referring to whether or not people care about which team makes which game and not about "which game is better". He is right, most people don't know or care which team makes KH3, they care that it is being made.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I dare assume that some things are also simply not the business of the fans, magazines or gamers. They are not obligated to explain themselves for every little thing or decision they made.

That bit about seeing his characters as his kids is really cute though, and may give some insight on why Nomura treats his characters the way he does. ;)

I've to say though that I found Nomura's stance on this to be way better and, well, healthier than what many western gamers apparently do today.
Nope, there must always comparisons being made and be said "this is better, or cooler, or whatever", causing strife and bickering among the populace.

The internet has arguably made this even worse because those who are always bitching and ranting about what they don't like, don't want or hate seem to be nearly always the loudest and most obtrusive voices heard.
Agreed on all accounts. And it's sometimes bizarre. I've seen people on line rank Ni No Kuni against the likes of Metal Gear Solid. Not even haters either. Such is the way on Gamefaqs.

But, as Neal so accurately put it in The Newsroom, comments on the internet seem to be 30-1 negative. If only there was a way to change that. Oh well. It's why I avoid youtube comments, and am picky about the sites I visit and engage in. Still, I'll be well prepared for the onslaught of "criticisms" KH3 will get when it's released.
I believe he is referring to whether or not people care about which team makes which game and not about "which game is better". He is right, most people don't know or care which team makes KH3, they care that it is being made.
That is a pretty good point.

Either way, Nomura is the most interesting interviewee in the world.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I actually think that Nomura's stance on the games is what allows him to make the game so different. If all he was concerned about was "making a better game than the last one" we'd sort of end up with a game that is similar to how FFXIII-2 was to FFXIII in that it just tried to improve upon the original's flaws without adding too much new. With KH, he doesn't have that fear that fans will think "this game is better than the last" (even if people compare them like that) so he is able to completely make a game from scratch with new gameplay, because in his mind, gamers won't compare the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back