• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

This Tech Demo of a Room Was Created in Unreal Engine 4 - Same Engine as KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

For the first time since it's creation, a Kingdom Hearts game will be developed on an engine that has not been developed in-house at Square Enix. This caused a little worry amongst fans, as people took it as a sign that development on Kingdom Hearts 3 might not be going smoothly.

Youtube user Elseware-Experience created this Virtual Tour of Paris and uploaded it on January 26th 2015. The tour was developed in Unreal Engine 4, and it is really gorgeous.

While it's highly likely Kingdom Hearts 3 won't be as refined as this since it is a tech demo, it is comforting to know that the game is being developed in the same engine. And with the Kingdom Shader providing a unique Disney look per world, who knows what Square Enix will be capable of achieving?

BEASTENDER

Re: This Tech Demo of a Room Was Created in Unreal Engine 4 - Same Engine at KH3

I was already very familiar with Unreal Engine 4 and it's many capabilities, but this will surely put a lot of people at ease. It was a good idea to post this. Though of course that's far beyond the scope of a KH game, which has lots of action and AI on screen as well. Or I should say, it's beyond the PS4. Still, it should be reassuring for those unfamiliar with the engine.

Last edited:

Narxus

Re: This Tech Demo of a Room Was Created in Unreal Engine 4 - Same Engine at KH3

Definitely really pretty. I find it impressive that there were a lot of moments where if it wasn't for the clearly robotic and computer controlled movements of the camera, you'd swear you were looking at a real place, especially with those reflections. While it's obvious that Kingdom Hearts III won't look this realistic or this polished (and really, would we want it too?) It's nice to know that the engine is capable of such prettiness.

Some guy

First reaction: those curtains are way too long ...

But what part of this relates to Paris? Don't misunderstand me, it's really beautiful; it's just that I don't get the naming.

Also everything in that video is still, so I wonder if the quality we see here can be maintained with many elements moving on screen and with programs running at the same time ...

Can't wait to see how KH3 will come out though, but if this demo is anything to go by, it's gonna be awesome (visually).

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

But what part of this relates to Paris? Don't misunderstand me, it's really beautiful; it's just that I don't get the naming.
No idea. Might be the name of the project, might be the city of their inspiration, could be anything really. I'm just assuming they set the room in the city of Paris.

Also everything in that video is still, so I wonder if the quality we see here can be maintained with many elements moving on screen and with programs running at the same time ...
Probably not a lot, since this is a tech demo. Still, it's nice to see what this engine is capable of and Square Enix do know how to make gorgeous and stunning games, and with the shader applied who knows what kind of quality we will get.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Obviously KH3 isn't going to look like that though, since it's cel-shaded. That and no console game could render graphics that pretty while everything else that needs to be processed is going on at the same time without the framerate dropping into Assassin's Creed Unity territory.

Regardless, HOT DAMN. That is an amazing engine. And given that I generally prefer cel-shaded graphics over realistic ones (cause with realistic graphics you're judging it based on reality and can notice when something is even slightly off, whereas cel-shaded is more immersive because you tend to accept the fantasy visuals from the get-go, like Wind Waker for example), KH3 is going to look stunning. I already thought that rough pre-alpha stuff they showed us at E3 and D23 were quite impressive looking. I can't wait to see how far the next-gen look of KH3 has come along since then.

wolfshadow

What the engine is capable of looks very nice (kinda wonder if P.T. was made by the same engine). But ya, hopefully with that much detail in one demo we may get disney worlds we've always wanted.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

What the engine is capable of looks very nice (kinda wonder if P.T. was made by the same engine). But ya, hopefully with that much detail in one demo we may get disney worlds we've always wanted.

P.T. used the Fox Engine.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

I sort of fainted a bit lol because those curtains remind me of the curtains from the KH3 trailer except more realistic.

BEASTENDER

I sort of fainted a bit lol because those curtains remind me of the curtains from the KH3 trailer except more realistic.

So...you're saying,based on what you remember, they're comparable; in a less realistic/cell shaded kind of sense.....??

Dandelion

baroque bitch
Awards

Obviously KH3 isn't going to look like that though, since it's cel-shaded. That and no console game could render graphics that pretty while everything else that needs to be processed is going on at the same time without the framerate dropping into Assassin's Creed Unity territory.

Regardless, HOT DAMN. That is an amazing engine. And given that I generally prefer cel-shaded graphics over realistic ones (cause with realistic graphics you're judging it based on reality and can notice when something is even slightly off, whereas cel-shaded is more immersive because you tend to accept the fantasy visuals from the get-go, like Wind Waker for example), KH3 is going to look stunning. I already thought that rough pre-alpha stuff they showed us at E3 and D23 were quite impressive looking. I can't wait to see how far the next-gen look of KH3 has come along since then.

Kingdom Hearts isn't cel-shaded, though. It uses more complex lighting and shading than what developers would consider cel-shaded. Kingdom Hearts's art style isn't what one would consider realistic, I think the term that would closest fit to what they're at right now is plastic, but the Kingdom Shader will change how all of that is defined anyway.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

So...you're saying,based on what you remember, they're comparable; in a less realistic/cell shaded kind of sense.....??

Yeah. Except that these in the Paris video are smaller, less glowy, and not flying in the air. The one in the trailer was extremely tall; probably as tall as those doors in Castle of Dreams.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

Yeah. Except that these in the Paris video are smaller, less glowy, and not flying in the air. The one in the trailer was extremely tall; probably as tall as those doors in Castle of Dreams.

The curtains were that long!? I kinda of thought that the library/study room would huge, but it sounds massive. I wonder what secret`s we`ll wind there.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards

But this is not running on a PS4 is it? I'm pretty sure that there are some noticeable differences between the engine on the consoles and the PC.

Nevertheless I don't think the Osaka team has any problems building a stunning game with it, the Kingdom Hearts games were always some of the most beautiful and best designed games for the PS2, especially the effects were top-notch.

I'm way more interested how the animations will be done this time. In the past corners were cut when gameplay models were used instead of high definition ones, leading to the infamous "fish faces", because the animation was purely done by hand.
Now motion capture is the way to go but that's not really possible for Donald and Goofy (and some other Disney characters) and because of the cartoonish look that is required so everything blends together nicely, it may look odd on the human characters too.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

This fan made video of a Grim Fandango was made in Unreal Engine 4.

[video=vimeo;116657854]https://vimeo.com/116657854[/video]

Really, all these videos show that there should be no doubt that this Engine will do nothing but good for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Last edited:

BEASTENDER

This fan made video of a Grim Fandango was made in Unreal Engine 4.

[video=vimeo;116657854]https://vimeo.com/116657854[/video]

Really, all these videos show that there should be no doubt that this Engine will do nothing but good for Kingdom Hearts 3.

For those familiar with the engine, I think they were concerned because of this little reputation Unreal Engine 4 has. Admittedly, a lot of games made in Unreal Engine 4 look like they were, "made with unreal engine 4". When developers who use the engine use the things already provided, it becomes fairly easy to guess what engine was used. And therefore, a lot of Unreal Engine 4 games look very similar in terms of style, not gameplay. However, that's only for developers who don't use their own effects and stye with the engine. Many big time developers import their own effects, lighting, shading, and so forth. The Kingdom Shader as it was called in 2013 is of course different. They also talked about how they successfully imported their own effects when the interview about the engine change surfaced. So those arguments should be put to rest too.

I remember seeing a video that was a montage of the many different styles Unreal Engine 4 was capable of, each differing greatly from the last. To sum it up, Kingdom Hearts 3 will look beautiful lol The only drawback of it not being a home engine is the cost. It would cost a lot to outright buy it, and even thought their monthly service is very fair, they do get a sizable chunk of the profits, despite it being a small percent. So a small percent per game, but it certainly adds up. Other than that, everyone will just have to wait and see. I feel the wait won't be long at all. We may even get a little something before E3.

Bobjam

Awards

If the end of the teaser that was shown back in December at the 2.5 events was in UE4 then we absolutely have nothing to worry about. So excited about how good this game is going to look. Especially as the D23 trailer back in October 2013 is still most people's current standards as for how the game might look. We are in for a shock I feel.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

It's almost scary-real. This could give Pixars Renderman a run for its money.

Sdog

Awards

Gorgeous demo, the designer did an amazing job!

Though the game will obviously follow a different visual approach, Donald's feathers are about to be lookin crazy! =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back