• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH Novel Translations - Official Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwise

Re: Axel--Seven Days Game Novel translation

Yeah, but it has been shown even through Days that he wasn't really bad ass. So he's contradicting himself there if he feels for "Nobodies like him" >.>, and then had basically eradicated Zexion and Vexen with as much as heartlessness as Saïx.

I had assumed he'd just done a good job of distancing himself from Zexion and Vexen. Or he'd convinced himself "they're traitors, they don't count anymore." Something along those lines. Doesn't mean he still doesn't feel for "Nobodies like him."

When was that? I don't remember...

If you go into one of the rooms in the Mansion while playing as Roxas, there's a broken table. If you examine it, it says something like what Deilnax said. I think. Could be wrong.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

I had assumed he'd just done a good job of distancing himself from Zexion and Vexen. Or he'd convinced himself "they're traitors, they don't count anymore." Something along those lines. Doesn't mean he still doesn't feel for "Nobodies like him."

But were Zexion and Vexen traitors? And it's not merely the action, it's the expression. His mood. The fact that he was being amused. If he feels for "Nobodies like him", then you would think he would be affected to some extent, or had lessen the blow of his murders [imploding Vexen, and watching Zexion resemble that of a choke while he's smirking?]. He basically says, "No matter when I see the dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good. Makes me think about how someday I'll be erased in the same way." If that was true, those wouldn't have happened. It makes him look like a ass, because he feels that he will be erased, and it seems he doesn't want to, but then he takes out the lives of those who begged not to die the same way he doesn't want to.

Either the creators are trying too hard to make Axel appear as if he's this big teddy bear that feels for things [which I didn't really buy into, considering his actions in CoM. I still hold it against him, because if he had some good inside him, he wouldn't have killed them the way he did in the first place. This proves more on the fact that Axel was never meant to really go as far as he had in the game. It was really a 180 unless they can really explain it], or there is something else.

If you go into one of the rooms in the Mansion while playing as Roxas, there's a broken table. If you examine it, it says something like what Deilnax said. I think. Could be wrong.

Hmmm.

KeybladeK 35

Yeah I agree, there's so no way he would do that IF he was this big softy and had some shred of feelings

Also the quote "No matter when I see the dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good. Makes me think about how someday I'll be erased in the same way." and you saying "It makes him look like a ass, because he feels that he will be erased, and it seems he doesn't want to, but then he takes out the lives of those who begged not to die the same way he doesn't want to."

My take is that, okay, I think he knows what he did, and I agree it does make him look like an ass, but maybe the reason WHY he's thinking this NOW is because, maybe he doesn't want to end up disappearing himself LIKE THAT, even though later it does but, he's not BEGGING to live, like the way Vexen and Zexion did.... Makes you wonder that maybe he really WANTS to disappear..... IDK >_<

It's really hard to comprehend what Axel's feelings and thoughts are.... >_<

fantasy08

Thank you so much! I wish the sixth and seventh days were longer since I wanted more Saix and Axel getting along! Saix smiled?! That's some scary shit lol. He and Axel seemed to really be buddy, buddy. Axel even seems like he will miss him. I love that! I always thought those two didn't like each other, but now I'm not so sure. Now I get the feeling that Saix was just following orders to kill Axel and it wasn’t some personal vendetta. Just like Axel was following orders to kill Roxas even though he really didn’t want to. I really, really hope we get to see more of them actually enjoying each other company in Days instead of trying to kill each other like in KH2. I think my little fangirl heart would explode!:53:

Also, wow, I know yoai fangirls really went wild with the whole Roxas fainting against Axel thing. Really I want to believe two guys can be just friends but Axel and Roxas make it real hard to take up for them when stuff like this happens :lol: Lastly, I ain’t buying the I feel sorry for nobodies bs. Like someone has already stated this is the same Axel that in Re:Com mercilessly killed two of his nobody comrades( that begged for their lives I might add) with the most evil, sadistic smirk on his face that I have ever seen in the series. He cares about unintelligent animal like nobodies, but the ones that actually look and act like humans he didn't give a fig about. Yea, sure.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

Yeah I agree, there's so no way he would do that IF he was this big softy and had some shred of feelings

Also the quote "No matter when I see the dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good. Makes me think about how someday I'll be erased in the same way." and you saying "It makes him look like a ass, because he feels that he will be erased, and it seems he doesn't want to, but then he takes out the lives of those who begged not to die the same way he doesn't want to."

My take is that, okay, I think he knows what he did, and I agree it does make him look like an ass, but maybe the reason WHY he's thinking this NOW is because, maybe he doesn't want to end up disappearing himself LIKE THAT, even though later it does but, he's not BEGGING to live, like the way Vexen and Zexion did.... Makes you wonder that maybe he really WANTS to disappear..... IDK >_<

It's really hard to comprehend what Axel's feelings and thoughts are.... >_<

The problem with that is, if he didn't want to disappear, he wouldn't keep evading Saïx from doing so. He doesn't want to leave yet, at least. Later on.

Also, wow, I know yoai fangirls really went wild with the whole Roxas fainting against Axel thing. Really I want to believe two guys can be just friends but Axel and Roxas make it real hard to take up for them when stuff like this happens :lol: Lastly, I ain’t buying the I feel sorry for nobodies bs. Like someone has already stated this is the same Axel that in Re:Com mercilessly killed two of his nobody comrades( that begged for their lives I might add) with the most evil, sadistic smirk on his face that I have ever seen in the series. He cares about unintelligent animal like nobodies, but the ones that actually look and act like humans he didn't give a fig about. Yea, sure.

If it wasn't for the fact that I saw my guy friend who's completely straight do the same thing Axel did to a guy who was drunk, and was about to fall flat on his face, then I would have believed it. Along with the fact that I've seen it on TV. And I don't know how goldpanner did it, from what she keeps saying. Happened or not, people have a very shallow facet of what's gay. I mean, I wonder if it would have been better if Axel let Roxas slump to the ground to get hurt, and all he does is stare >.>. Seriously.

But back to the point, exactly. That's exactly what I was talking about. It's iffy.

Axel was never meant to be a good guy in my eyes. If he wasn't popular [to the staff and fans]...

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards

"Top of the morning to you, sir," said Axel, in a put-on tone, but Saix turned to Axel disagreeably.

I love that Nobody. I love the way he makes stupid jokes in front of Saix and expects the guy to be amused.

What the hell went on with Roxas there? Did he do that on purpose in the fight, having to faint, and then hit Axel right when he caught him from falling? Because that would be mighty foul. Or did he have something truly wrong with him...?

It didn't specify.

Looking at a few times, I think I sort of understand what was going on there, but I could be wrong. My guess is that it was trying to show (as if we needed the emphasis) that Axel really couldn't hurt Roxas, because the second the kid showed signs of weakness he was rushing in to help. And Roxas...well, I seem to remember from turkish delight's translations of that part in the novels that Roxas didn't REALLY start to remember until around the end of the battle, and he really thought that Axel wanted to kill him.

So when Axel grabbed him, instead of realizing that it was just his friend trying to help, Roxas saw it as an attack and struck back.

Is this the same guy who mercilessly killed Vexen and Zexion with a smirk on his face? Because, honestly...

LOL, I know right? But maybe it was easier with Vex and Zex because he didn't like them to begin with, wheras the Dusks never did him any harm.

EDIT: Saïx smiled...?

OMFG...

I know! They were almost like...buddies. It was so odd.

Oh, and I wonder what was in the white envelope?

Kiwise

But were Zexion and Vexen traitors?

I dunno, but Axel thought they were.

And it's not merely the action, it's the expression. His mood. The fact that he was being amused.

It was amusing? Traitors get what's coming to them and he gets to be the one to do it. He finds that amusing. Doesn't necessarily mean he thought their deaths were amusing, he just saw some kind of irony in it or something.

If he feels for "Nobodies like him", then you would think he would be affected to some extent, or had lessen the blow of his murders [imploding Vexen, and watching Zexion resemble that of a choke while he's smirking?]. He basically says, "No matter when I see the dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good. Makes me think about how someday I'll be erased in the same way." If that was true, those wouldn't have happened.

Maybe he was affected somehow? We only saw him there, in CoM, where he couldn't show weakness, and where he wasn't the main character yet. [Another Report has this.] He refuses to answer Roxas when he asks about it. So maybe he was affected. We wouldn't know.

He probably had to make it look convincing for whoever might be watching. Vexen's death was brutal and horrible, but Marluxia and Larxene were watching, so no matter what he wanted, he had to make them believe he was on their side. And... Hell. Couldn't even begin to guess what happened there with Zexion. Nothing about his death made sense to me. Maybe the Org. had secret video cameras all over the place or something. Or he had to convince Repliku that he wasn't really on Zexion's side (or that Zexion really was a traitor or something like that) in case anyone got their hands on him.

It makes him look like a ass, because he feels that he will be erased, and it seems he doesn't want to, but then he takes out the lives of those who begged not to die the same way he doesn't want to.

He is an ass. Karma came back with a vengeance?

Either the creators are trying too hard to make Axel appear as if he's this big teddy bear that feels for things [which I didn't really buy into, considering his actions in CoM. I still hold it against him, because if he had some good inside him, he wouldn't have killed them the way he did in the first place. This proves more on the fact that Axel was never meant to really go as far as he had in the game. It was really a 180 unless they can really explain it],

Oh, I'm sure that's what they're doing. I heard somewhere that Axel was the creators of CoM's favorite character, and they didn't want him to die, so that's the only reason he made it to the next game. Maybe they think we'll like him better as a teddy bear.

or there is something else.

That's possible too.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

Ah, now I remember you Kiwise. I think. The second reply triggered something familiar.

Looking at a few times, I think I sort of understand what was going on there, but I could be wrong. My guess is that it was trying to show (as if we needed the emphasis) that Axel really couldn't hurt Roxas, because the second the kid showed signs of weakness he was rushing in to help. And Roxas...well, I seem to remember from turkish delight's translations of that part in the novels that Roxas didn't REALLY start to remember until around the end of the battle, and he really thought that Axel wanted to kill him.

So when Axel grabbed him, instead of realizing that it was just his friend trying to help, Roxas saw it as an attack and struck back.

I'm comparing the scenes now. What threw me off, really, is the whole swaying and about to fall on the floor ordeal, and I looked back between the two translations. Either Axel catching him in his arms was really small, to not have noticed, or it was something else. Goldpanner also said that she could have put it as "held back/held down/pinned", which in my opinion, makes more sense when you look at it, considering they were in a lock of weapons clashing [both translations had that] from what I got before it happened. So it was a stand-off. I think I might ask turkish_delight to see what "抱きとめ る" would be translated as in her words, because I can't do it myself...>.>.

And also from rechecking turkish_delight's translations, it was sort of a memory trigger right there that Roxas, so it was one of his "moments" xD. It was the part where he remembered Axel's words when he was leaving. So that answered my question.

LOL, I know right? But maybe it was easier with Vex and Zex because he didn't like them to begin with, wheras the Dusks never did him any harm.

The points were made above you. Even so, if that was true, he would not have killed them the way he did if he had any of that remorse.

I know! They were almost like...buddies. It was so odd.

Oh, and I wonder what was in the white envelope?

Well, it is a bit odd o.o. But I guess that explains they're little conspiring in Days.

I kind of forgot that white envelope...

I dunno, but Axel thought they were.

I don't think so. He knew they weren't. He's not stupid.

It was amusing? Traitors get what's coming to them and he gets to be the one to do it. He finds that amusing. Doesn't necessarily mean he thought their deaths were amusing, he just saw some kind of irony in it or something.

Oh, right. A difference again. He gets amused of traitors begging for their lives and him having the pleasure to kill them cruelly, because he finds some sort of supposed irony in the whole thing...? Er...seriously. Half the killers in jail would love this: "But I didn't do anything! I was just amused because they got what was coming to them and I was the one that did it! That doesn't mean their deaths were amusing even though I was caught smirking as I watched one choke and implode. I'm innocent!"

I'm not getting into this for the second time.

Maybe he was affected somehow? We only saw him there, in CoM, where he couldn't show weakness, and where he wasn't the main character yet. [Another Report has this.] He refuses to answer Roxas when he asks about it. So maybe he was affected. We wouldn't know.

He probably had to make it look convincing for whoever might be watching. Vexen's death was brutal and horrible, but Marluxia and Larxene were watching, so no matter what he wanted, he had to make them believe he was on their side. And... Hell. Couldn't even begin to guess what happened there with Zexion. Nothing about his death made sense to me. Maybe the Org. had secret video cameras all over the place or something. Or he had to convince Repliku that he wasn't really on Zexion's side (or that Zexion really was a traitor or something like that) in case anyone got their hands on him.

First paragraph, we wouldn't know. But he's being a hypocrite. If he really did go by that line, and it hurt him to see Nobodies go, and he would soon follow that fate, I would think he would have gotten rid of them in a much cleaner method, instead of mercilessly the way it was done. fantasy08 put it straight out why it's iffy.

This is not a person who would think such a thing as: No matter when I see the Dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good.

Makes me think about how someday I'll be erased in the same way.

The second paragraph, I can understand Vexen's, but it wasn't just for show, because Zexion was done privately. Which kind of defeats the first kill.

He is an ass. Karma came back with a vengeance?

Well, at least you admit it.

And I believe it did.

Oh, I'm sure that's what they're doing. I heard somewhere that Axel was the creators of CoM's favorite character, and they didn't want him to die, so that's the only reason he made it to the next game. Maybe they think we'll like him better as a teddy bear.

Then that confirms it. And we would like him as a teddy bear. It's obvious. Anyone who suffers or has such problems as poor Axel does, will gain sympathy from the audience. Hence, why they did so. And made him a good guy so he'll be scot free. Everyone falls for that one. Just look at half of the responses in this thread alone.

That's possible too.

Hmm.

Kiwise

Ah, now I remember you Kiwise. I think. The second reply triggered something familiar.

Eh? Oh crap, what'd I do?

I don't think so. He knew they weren't. He's not stupid.

Difference of opinion, then. Unless there's evidence somewhere.

Oh, right. A difference again. He gets amused of traitors begging for their lives and him having the pleasure to kill them cruelly, because he finds some sort of supposed irony in the whole thing...? Er...seriously. Half the killers in jail would love this: "But I didn't do anything! I was just amused because they got what was coming to them and I was the one that did it! That doesn't mean their deaths were amusing even though I was caught smirking as I watched one choke and implode. I'm innocent!"

No, that's not what I'm thinking he was amused by. He's not finding amusement in the begging or the actual killing, necessarily. More like in the circumstances around it. But hell, I dunno what he was thinking. It really depends on that, doesn't it? We can't really know, then.
I'm not at all trying to claim Axel's innocence. That would be stupid. He's still a murderer and a jerkass.

I'm not getting into this for the second time.

I'd rather not get into it either, but I... Don't think I was involved with that argument, if that's what you're thinking. I might've been in the thread at some point.

First paragraph, we wouldn't know. But he's being a hypocrite. If he really did go by that line, and it hurt him to see Nobodies go, and he would soon follow that fate, I would think he would have gotten rid of them in a much cleaner method, instead of mercilessly the way it was done.

Yeah, he's a hypocrite. Gasp! Character flaw!
Err... What other way is there? He couldn't show them mercy, they had to die, so why dangle it in their faces? He could've not said anything to them and just gotten it over with... But that doesn't sound much like Axel to me. And that's probably not what Marluxia and Larxene or anyone else were expecting, and he couldn't afford to look suspicious. It doesn't matter that they were begging for their lives, they still had to die whether he liked or not. He might not have physically been able to one-hit-kill Vexen, either, so there's not much he could do to make it cleaner and easier. And he was leading Repliku on, he had to keep that up as long as necessary. So. What was he supposed to do? He had to do what was expected of him, which I'm sure was not to show mercy or to act compassionate.

fantasy08 put it straight out why it's iffy.

This is not a person who would think such a thing as: No matter when I see the Dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good.

Makes me think about how someday I'll be erased in the same way.

*shrugs* [Character derailment?]
All I was trying to say is that maybe he doesn't consider Zexion and Vexen to be the same as or any better than Dusks, so it's somehow easier for him to sympathize with the (entirely innocent) Dusks than the so-called "traitors." Yay, cognitive dissonance? I think that's something like what I was trying to say, I lost track.

In any case, the emphasis seems to be more on how he's thinking about his own future, not on how he's comparing himself to the Dusks.

The Dusks are also Nobodies, which means they also used to be humans; they just happened to be extremely unlucky humans who got caught by a Heartless and turned into monsters. He could have been referring to that, too. Unlikely, though.

The second paragraph, I can understand Vexen's, but it wasn't just for show, because Zexion was done privately. Which kind of defeats the first kill.

What? It was for show. Vexen still had to die no matter what, but there was still a show to be put up. Zexion's might not have been entirely, but Axel was still leading Repliku on, so he had to put up a show for him, too. I guess. Or Axel's just a jerkass and he had a grudge against Zexion, I dunno. I never understood why Zexion had to die at all, I'm just guessing, here.

Well, at least you admit it.

And I believe it did.

I don't recall denying it. That would be stupid.

Then that confirms it. And we would like him as a teddy bear. It's obvious. Anyone who suffers or has such problems as poor Axel does, will gain sympathy from the audience. Hence, why they did so. And made him a good guy so he'll be scot free. Everyone falls for that one. Just look at half of the responses in this thread alone.

Oh yeah. I'm sure the the staff love him more now, too. I've heard some complain about his being less badass, but that's rare. What scares me is that it might just be a poor attempt on the part of the creators at actual character development. "Hmm, character development means change or something, so... If we just totally change his character, we did it! :D OK, let's call it a day. Who wants pizza?"

Lastly, I ain’t buying the I feel sorry for nobodies bs. Like someone has already stated this is the same Axel that in Re:Com mercilessly killed two of his nobody comrades( that begged for their lives I might add) with the most evil, sadistic smirk on his face that I have ever seen in the series. He cares about unintelligent animal like nobodies, but the ones that actually look and act like humans he didn't give a fig about. Yea, sure.

In response to one unimportant thing: Nobodies are not unintelligent. ._.

KH2 said:
Yen Sid: "While Heartless act on instinct, Nobodies function in a higher manner. They can think and plan. And it seems they are working towards a goal. What that goal is, we do not know."

They were defined as being able to think and plan. Even the Dusks. Also, they talk.

(The three race after the Dusk. Roxas follows it through the hole in the Market Street: Tram Common wall and ends up in the Woods. The Dusk continues through the forest, dancing around the trees as if it wanted Roxas to follow it. Roxas follows and ends up outside the Old Mansion. He approaches the Dusk. Words appear in Roxas's head)

????: "We have come for you, my liege."

Roxas: "Huh?"

[Game script.]

Dusks are not unintelligent animals. I'd really rather not get into an argument about something so trivial. Just pointing it out.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

Eh? Oh crap, what'd I do?

I don't know xD.

Difference of opinion, then. Unless there's evidence somewhere.

I think he said that Zexion "knew too much" as his justification. But, I really don't see what would be bad about betraying Marluxia and Larxene himself, and killing Vexen to serve that benefit. Xemnas is level-headed enough to understand the reasons. Especially since he showed no signs of disagreeing if he thought Axel brought in Repliku to aid him. It's been proven that he never liked Vexen as well either, so, there's not much on the line.

No, that's not what I'm thinking he was amused by. He's not finding amusement in the begging or the actual killing, necessarily. More like in the circumstances around it. But hell, I dunno what he was thinking. It really depends on that, doesn't it? We can't really know, then.
I'm not at all trying to claim Axel's innocence. That would be stupid. He's still a murderer and a jerkass.

We don't know until we see, that's true. It's hard to know what a character's thinking when it comes down to only outward reactions. Nonetheless, Axel's character to me, was done a 180 with, and now everything in the future, new, will include that to make it fit the turn of personality more thoroughly [which I don't hold against them, considering they have to, or else, his character will then be half-assed. That isn't good either if they don't have a direction], and not make it appear like it did come out of left field just to have him go on the next game. And making him important by connecting him to the main character for his permanent stay. I accept that this is now Axel's characterization, can't do anything about it. But outside the game, I will always feel that having to murder someone the way he had done, only to be this big ol' nice bear in the reality of the situation, it's too much of a forced convenience.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only who doesn't fully thrust blindly to the "poor Axel" bandwagon. I've grown to be way too analytical ^^;.

I'd rather not get into it either, but I... Don't think I was involved with that argument, if that's what you're thinking. I might've been in the thread at some point.

Well, you certainly cracked something familiar to what the argument was about, mostly. I kind of forgot about who it was. You just reminded me of the person for that reply for a second.

Yeah, he's a hypocrite. Gasp! Character flaw!
Err... What other way is there? He couldn't show them mercy, they had to die, so why dangle it in their faces? He could've not said anything to them and just gotten it over with... But that doesn't sound much like Axel to me. And that's probably not what Marluxia and Larxene or anyone else were expecting, and he couldn't afford to look suspicious. It doesn't matter that they were begging for their lives, they still had to die whether he liked or not. He might not have physically been able to one-hit-kill Vexen, either, so there's not much he could do to make it cleaner and easier. And he was leading Repliku on, he had to keep that up as long as necessary. So. What was he supposed to do? He had to do what was expected of him, which I'm sure was not to show mercy or to act compassionate.

As I said, I understand Vexen's death. He had to do it for his plan to succeed. Just not the method that it was done. As far as I know, Marluxia and Larxene never asked for such a show, just to destroy him, and see if he had the guts to do so. His actions towards Vexen, was honestly cruel. He didn't need to make his last moments go out the way he did. I'm sure Vexen felt the implosion of fire before he disappeared if his sounds were any indication [and it has been proven by Axel that Nobodies do feel physical pain, and normally]. I don't think anyone would want to be in the brunt of that, and rightly so. The fact that even Sora's face was disgusted proved the say in enough of how it looked to any other innocent bystander's eyes. He probably couldn't in a one-hit kill, but at least make it like a bullet to the head. Gone and easy, without any repercussions. As for Zexion, he didn't HAVE to die. There was nothing he had done to the culprit that will serve to fade in such a manner. Axel, as far as I know, didn't need to use Repliku to kill Zexion unless that's what he was planning all along from the beginning, and take them both out. Which is still negative on his part, despite the fact that they were in his way. A show is one thing. But, it seemed genuine to me, and as far as I've seen, Repliku wasn't looking at Axel for him to put that face on.

And it seemed that Axel was this good-hearted man around Days as well, if not, just a bit distant. It would make more sense if he was truly a cold ass like he was, and then Roxas changed him. But no. He seemed to show the same warmth. Just not expanded. Which is odd, because no real upcoming "good guy" will go down to such levels in killing someone. Which is where my problem lays. More so with the line that started the topic :p.

*shrugs* [Character derailment?]
All I was trying to say is that maybe he doesn't consider Zexion and Vexen to be the same as or any better than Dusks, so it's somehow easier for him to sympathize with the (entirely innocent) Dusks than the so-called "traitors." Yay, cognitive dissonance? I think that's something like what I was trying to say, I lost track.

In any case, the emphasis seems to be more on how he's thinking about his own future, not on how he's comparing himself to the Dusks.

The Dusks are also Nobodies, which means they also used to be humans; they just happened to be extremely unlucky humans who got caught by a Heartless and turned into monsters. He could have been referring to that, too. Unlikely, though.

Wouldn't that fit anyone in the Organization as well? Except they actually look and think like a human? They are in the exact position he is now?

Character derailment sounds exactly like it. You just branded the right word for it. And the definition fits it perfectly of what was done to Axel to fit him to the games. I guess Nomura doesn't deserve him if we take Benjamin Franklin's opinion xD [then again, this is the guy who brought Xion in, yet, that's another thing for another time]. But, moving on, again, like fantasy08 stated, he cares about Nobodies as Dusks, but the ones that actually look and act like humans he didn't give a damn about. Which questions his overall morality. It's like animals and humans [I don't think animals are dumb, by the way, just another form of intelligence]. It's okay if animals don't die. But why would humans be any lesser?

I don't think he was comparing himself to them either. The thing that got me was the, "No matter when I see the Dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good." Which...would be a lie until proven otherwise, as he had a hand in destroying human-like ones, and he appeared as if it was watching a parade.

What? It was for show. Vexen still had to die no matter what, but there was still a show to be put up. Zexion's might not have been entirely, but Axel was still leading Repliku on, so he had to put up a show for him, too. I guess. Or Axel's just a jerkass and he had a grudge against Zexion, I dunno. I never understood why Zexion had to die at all, I'm just guessing, here.

This is mostly explained above. But I think we can agree that Zexion's manner is left open-ended.

I don't recall denying it. That would be stupid.

I think I confused you with someone else xP. Yeah, thankfully, you're one of the people to know that he was a ass, and not forget about it, or excuse it. I like him. But, I don't deny what he's done, and that I'm not bitter by it.

Oh yeah. I'm sure the the staff love him more now, too. I've heard some complain about his being less badass, but that's rare. What scares me is that it might just be a poor attempt on the part of the creators at actual character development. "Hmm, character development means change or something, so... If we just totally change his character, we did it! :D OK, let's call it a day. Who wants pizza?"

I heard the complaints too. And it mostly comes from guys, so, it would be needless to say that the way he behaved in KH2, to the point where people think that AkuRoku is canon, wouldn't meet their desires compared to the manipulative, two-faced douche that screams style and badassery xD.

To me, it's been a poor attempt. They wanted him there after CoM, so they made up a reason as to why and how he should appear, and then made him to a sympathetic and sacrificial lamb so that his story can gain, as I said, pity. Or admiration. Whichever it is. Sometimes, people love a character and their dilemma, and forget the actual fact of how it was done, and why [this is what is being done to Xion, even though I want to try to keep her out of the conversation. It doesn't matter if she popped out of nowhere. As long as she gains sympathy, they're covered, as they'll like her character because of it, regardless if she doesn't necessarily make sense]. I also have a problem with Axel's face plastered 24/7 on anything, to which the other members take a backseat to. A mistake in that is that when you have 12+ characters to develop and show screen time for, putting one above everyone else isn't exactly genius. Roxas is understandable: he's the main, and it revolves around him.

But seriously...Axel is a whore.

Last edited:

Avens

They'll most likely spin it so that Axel changes over the course of Days. I'm probably making this up, but I think there's some script from early on in the game where he makes it clear that he thinks babysitting Roxas is a chore... I will look for it.
Edit: Nope. I was remembering a partial quote from the demo, but looking at the whole, Axel's not actually disinterested. Well, maybe he was just acting friendly in front of the new guy, in order to gain his trust or something, and then after being around Roxas enough he starts to genuinely like him.

I assumed the envelope was the written form of his mission, kinda like that thing Demyx has when you fight him in OC.

Last edited:

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

To clear up some things! (Or make them more confusing. But I'm aiming for the former!)
(Warning: Heavy use of parentheses!!)

Here are some more literal translations, showing several of the different expressions possible. I hope this makes the meaning of the scenes easier to understand.

Axel being soft:
Whenever seen, the disappearance/extinction of the dusks--of those guys that are nobodies the same (as me/as him/as oneself) is not a good-natured/good feeling/good mood/feel well (as in feel sick)/good atmosphere thing.
It makes (me/him/oneself) think of the day someday when (I'll/he'll/one will) fade away/disappear/go out/vanish/melt.

*TwilightNight* said:
he cares about Nobodies as Dusks, but the ones that actually look and act like humans he didn't give a damn about... I don't think he was comparing himself to them either.

I do not think these lines mean simply 'I feel bad seeing those poor dusks die'.

Theory 1: He may be reflecting on how the dusks just kill themselves on the barrier for him without a second thought (and therefore foreshadowing how he himself will throw his life away for Sora/Roxas' sake later).

Theory 2: The purpose of the lines may also be less 'those poor duskies' and more highlighting how nobodies as a species(?) 'disappear' rather than die (and, as he mentions later, probably have no afterlife). Maybe what he is emphasising is 'watching them vanish makes me think of how someday the same thing will happen to me (and I will disappear permanently) and that doesn't feel good'. And turning the (mass) deaths of other beings into something about himself sounds like Axel being his usual (ass) self to me. I do not think this is 'hypocritical'. And I don't think this has much to do with how he murdered Vexen and Zexion.

Theory 3: What I said before; this was not written by Mr. Nomura or any of the other game designers; this was written by an author by the name of Ms. Tomoco Kanemaki. I don't know how much input the game designers had on her drafts, or how much influence her own personal biases and views on the characters have on her representation of the story. So this 'big teddy bear' Axel might very well be called Ms. Kanemaki's Axel (if anyone's got anything to prove me wrong about this, I'll listen; I have no evidence at all, it's just my own cynicism).

Roxas fainting:
(He) instinctively *caught in his arms* Roxas who fell against (him). Roxas shook off/shook (himself) free from Axel's hands, and glared at Axel/gave Axel a fierce look. And then, swung the keyblade down.

*The word is 抱きとめる, which is a compound of two verbs,抱くand留める.
抱く means to hold (a person, thing) in one's arms, to embrace, to hug, to squeeze... and 'to sit on eggs' (as in birds lol) (and in the expression, ねえ、抱いてmeans 'give me a hug', or 'go on, make love to me'... ;D)
留めるmeans to fasten (/fix/staple/pin/nail/button), or to detain/keep, to keep in mind/care about/notice.

When I see the two words together, the first thing I think is 'hold someone and pin them to you'. I looked it up in my electronic dictionary, and in Jap-English (which just comes up with various usage examples) it said:
Eg. She caught the child in her arms as he was about to fall.

The definition from the Jap-Jap (translated here by me) said:
By embracing and holding in one's arms, supporting and restraining. Detaining in one's arms.

Aaaand just to confuse myself, I googled 'translate dakitomeru' and I found the phrase in a heap of song lyrics, which usually had it translated as 'hold back, pin down'. >_<

I agree with organization_42's take on it. (Or... Axel was a little friendly with those hands and Roxas was suitably pissed...!)

Hope this helped make things clearer, or at least provided a wider range of information from which you are basing your theories.

Avens said:
I assumed the envelope was the written form of his mission, kinda like that thing Demyx has when you fight him in OC.

That makes sense >_< I assumed it had money for buying ice cream in it...

Last edited:

Kiwise

I think he said that Zexion "knew too much" as his justification. But, I really don't see what would be bad about betraying Marluxia and Larxene himself, and killing Vexen to serve that benefit. Xemnas is level-headed enough to understand the reasons. Especially since he showed no signs of disagreeing if he thought Axel brought in Repliku to aid him. It's been proven that he never liked Vexen as well either, so, there's not much on the line.

I know! DX That's why I don't get it. Seems like everything would've worked out just fine if Zexion hadn't been killed in CoM, maybe even better since Axel managed to save someone. Did he honestly think Xemnas wouldn't get it or something? So... I figure either Axel was carrying the idiot ball when that happened, or there's something else they haven't (come up with?) told us yet. Stuff from Days seems to say that Saïx had something to do with the whole thing, so... I dunno, maybe Axel was under orders to get rid of all the "traitors" in Castle Oblivion? So, Zexion had to die because Saïx said so? That's pretty much the theory I've held to since... Days was announced. But after reading this stuff, I guess I have to rethink it. I'm think I'm getting offtopic-er now, though.

Xemnas didn't like Vexen either? I didn't know that. That's awesome. XD Starting to sound like no one liked Vexen. Poor guy.

We don't know until we see, that's true. It's hard to know what a character's thinking when it comes down to only outward reactions. Nonetheless, Axel's character to me, was done a 180 with, and now everything in the future, new, will include that to make it fit the turn of personality more thoroughly [which I don't hold against them, considering they have to, or else, his character will then be half-assed. That isn't good either if they don't have a direction], and not make it appear like it did come out of left field just to have him go on the next game. And making him important by connecting him to the main character for his permanent stay. I accept that this is now Axel's characterization, can't do anything about it. But outside the game, I will always feel that having to murder someone the way he had done, only to be this big ol' nice bear in the reality of the situation, it's too much of a forced convenience.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only who doesn't fully thrust blindly to the "poor Axel" bandwagon. I've grown to be way too analytical ^^;.

Heh. I try to give Axel the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he had an acceptable reason to kill Zexion, maybe they can come up with a good excuse for why his personality did a 180. I doubt it, but I'm willing to wait and see. On the other hand, maybe he didn't, they won't explain it, they don't care, and they expect us not to care either. ._. Just have to wait and see, I guess.

I feel sorry for Axel, but I also accept that he's an ass who mostly deserved what he got. And I'm willing to accept that he's also a big teddy bear when he's with his small group of friends.

Well, you certainly cracked something familiar to what the argument was about, mostly. I kind of forgot about who it was. You just reminded me of the person for that reply for a second.

Heh. XP

As I said, I understand Vexen's death. He had to do it for his plan to succeed. Just not the method that it was done. As far as I know, Marluxia and Larxene never asked for such a show, just to destroy him, and see if he had the guts to do so. His actions towards Vexen, was honestly cruel. He didn't need to make his last moments go out the way he did. I'm sure Vexen felt the implosion of fire before he disappeared if his sounds were any indication [and it has been proven by Axel that Nobodies do feel physical pain, and normally]. I don't think anyone would want to be in the brunt of that, and rightly so. The fact that even Sora's face was disgusted proved the say in enough of how it looked to any other innocent bystander's eyes.

I don't think they asked for a show, either, just that they were expecting one. They'd known him for a while before this. They had an idea of how he'd act. He couldn't be out-of-character in their eyes because then he'd look suspicious, so he had to do whatever they were expecting. If that was to be a cruel, merciless jerkass, so be it.

He probably couldn't in a one-hit kill, but at least make it like a bullet to the head. Gone and easy, without any repercussions.

I'm not sure if he could have done that either. I don't know if I'm remembering the scene (from Re:CoM) correctly, but Axel was standing behind Sora and Vexen and Sora was in the way, wasn't he? Axel couldn't miss his target, because then he might've hit Sora or missed entirely. So it's safer to aim for the center of mass than the head.

As for Zexion, he didn't HAVE to die. There was nothing he had done to the culprit that will serve to fade in such a manner. Axel, as far as I know, didn't need to use Repliku to kill Zexion unless that's what he was planning all along from the beginning, and take them both out. Which is still negative on his part, despite the fact that they were in his way. A show is one thing. But, it seemed genuine to me, and as far as I've seen, Repliku wasn't looking at Axel for him to put that face on.

Were they in his way? I don't think so....

I have no idea what to say about Zexion. Since we don't know why he had to die in the first place, I couldn't say if was justified or not. Axel's a good actor, it might've have genuine, it might not have. I don't think we can really say yet.

And it seemed that Axel was this good-hearted man around Days as well, if not, just a bit distant. It would make more sense if he was truly a cold ass like he was, and then Roxas changed him. But no. He seemed to show the same warmth. Just not expanded.

So... Even if he was a nice guy at heart, he was an ass to everyone he wasn't close to. So pretty much everyone besides Roxas (and I guess Xion). Sounds about right to me. Maybe it's not that Roxas changed his personality that much, Roxas just managed to make friends with him, so that's the side of him we get to see.

Which is odd, because no real upcoming "good guy" will go down to such levels in killing someone. Which is where my problem lays. More so with the line that started the topic :p.

They might. Not the pure, innocent, helps-everyone, friendly-neighborhood-boy-scout good guy Disney likes, but a different kind of good guy ("guy-on-the-side-of-good" is maybe more what I mean) might. It depends.

Wouldn't that fit anyone in the Organization as well? Except they actually look and think like a human? They are in the exact position he is now?

Sure, yeah. Except for those evil traitors. Y'know? Sure, makes him a hypocrite, but it makes sense to me that he might end up thinking something like that.

Character derailment sounds exactly like it. You just branded the right word for it. And the definition fits it perfectly of what was done to Axel to fit him to the games. I guess Nomura doesn't deserve him if we take Benjamin Franklin's opinion xD [then again, this is the guy who brought Xion in, yet, that's another thing for another time].

Heh. Axel's even an example on the page I linked to. So's Riku.

But, moving on, again, like fantasy08 stated, he cares about Nobodies as Dusks, but the ones that actually look and act like humans he didn't give a damn about. Which questions his overall morality. It's like animals and humans [I don't think animals are dumb, by the way, just another form of intelligence]. It's okay if animals don't die. But why would humans be any lesser?

I just took it as a way of coping, I suppose. He doesn't associate Dusks and those guys he killed a long ago. They aren't the same to him. I doubt he was thinking of them at all at the time. Dusks are innocent, they didn't do anything to him or anyone else. Those guys he killed deserved it because they were evil traitors. The two are not the same thing or connected in any way. But that part of the sentence wasn't the part that mattered, in any case, he was really just thinking of his own future at the time, not about the Dusks specifically. They were just the example he used, it seems to me. I fully agree with goldpanner's Theory 2. Except I do think he's a hypocrite in some ways.

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine: I dislike it when people try to dismiss Nobodies (the lesser ones, I have different pet peeves regarding the Organization) as dumb animals, or worse, as automatically evil monsters. They're not either.

I don't think he was comparing himself to them either. The thing that got me was the, "No matter when I see the Dusks--to see those guys, nobodies like me--destroyed, it doesn't feel good." Which...would be a lie until proven otherwise, as he had a hand in destroying human-like ones, and he appeared as if it was watching a parade.

Ah, no, he wasn't, I agree, I just didn't say that right. XP I answered the rest above. I think. Pretty much.

This is mostly explained above. But I think we can agree that Zexion's manner is left open-ended

Yeah. Maybe they'll get around to explaining it in Days. I don't have much hope for it, but I can dream.

I think I confused you with someone else xP. Yeah, thankfully, you're one of the people to know that he was a ass, and not forget about it, or excuse it. I like him. But, I don't deny what he's done, and that I'm not bitter by it.

I like him, too, but I think it's stupid to try and say he's the shining example of all that is right and good and cuddly. (Disclaimer: I exaggerate. I don't think anyone really says that.) He's done good and bad, and there's nothing really wrong with that. That just makes him all the more interesting and complex. Except when they screw it up, then it's just a poor job at character development.

I heard the complaints too. And it mostly comes from guys, so, it would be needless to say that the way he behaved in KH2, to the point where people think that AkuRoku is canon, wouldn't meet their desires compared to the manipulative, two-faced douche that screams style and badassery xD.

Heh. XD That's what I thought, mostly guys.

To me, it's been a poor attempt. They wanted him there after CoM, so they made up a reason as to why and how he should appear, and then made him to a sympathetic and sacrificial lamb so that his story can gain, as I said, pity. Or admiration. Whichever it is. Sometimes, people love a character and their dilemma, and forget the actual fact of how it was done, and why [this is what is being done to Xion, even though I want to try to keep her out of the conversation. It doesn't matter if she popped out of nowhere. As long as she gains sympathy, they're covered, as they'll like her character because of it, regardless if she doesn't necessarily make sense].

I agree. Totally agree. You've put it beautifully.

I also have a problem with Axel's face plastered 24/7 on anything, to which the other members take a backseat to.

Reminds me of the Wolverine Effect. ._. Wolverine from X-Men ended up being the main character in the movies, while they keep introducing a hella lot of other characters, and ignored the ones they already had (or just killed them). Wolverine wasn't nearly as important in the original comics as he ended up being in the movies (until they started putting his picture on the front of issues he wasn't even in).

A mistake in that is that when you have 12+ characters to develop and show screen time for, putting one above everyone else isn't exactly genius. Roxas is understandable: he's the main, and it revolves around him.

This is why I'm afraid to put any faith in Days. DX I like Axel. I wouldn't mind hearing a little about him. But I also like the others, and they won't get anything. Maybe Demyx. Maybe.

But seriously...Axel is a whore.

Yes. Yes he is. It's depressing.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I know! DX That's why I don't get it. Seems like everything would've worked out just fine if Zexion hadn't been killed in CoM, maybe even better since Axel managed to save someone. Did he honestly think Xemnas wouldn't get it or something? So... I figure either Axel was carrying the idiot ball when that happened, or there's something else they haven't (come up with?) told us yet. Stuff from Days seems to say that Saïx had something to do with the whole thing, so... I dunno, maybe Axel was under orders to get rid of all the "traitors" in Castle Oblivion? So, Zexion had to die because Saïx said so? That's pretty much the theory I've held to since... Days was announced. But after reading this stuff, I guess I have to rethink it. I'm think I'm getting offtopic-er now, though.

Well, have you read a translation of Countdown to Castle Oblivion before? (I will type it up sometime myself). Zexion mentions to Lexeaus how he thinks Xemnas has ulterior motives for the castle. He pretty much insinuates that the castle was built to get the upstart newcomers destroyed (then Lexeaus says, 'then why did he go to all the trouble of recruiting them?', and Zexion says he doesn't know). So maybe it was some bigger part of Xemnas' plot that even Zexion didn't know; maybe he just caught wind of the whole 'someone's gunna die' part but never found out he was one of them... why would he need to die? I dunno. Might be an old grudge--I remember reading in an ansem report that it was Ienzo who pushed whatever turned them all into nobodies... but that's pretty petty for a guy who has no feelings anyway.

I just took it as a way of coping, I suppose. He doesn't associate Dusks and those guys he killed a long ago. They aren't the same to him. I doubt he was thinking of them at all at the time. Dusks are innocent, they didn't do anything to him or anyone else. Those guys he killed deserved it because they were evil traitors. The two are not the same thing or connected in any way. But that part of the sentence wasn't the part that mattered, in any case, he was really just thinking of his own future at the time, not about the Dusks specifically. They were just the example he used, it seems to me. I fully agree with goldpanner's Theory 2. Except I do think he's a hypocrite in some ways.

What was he a hypocrite for? (Not being snarky: I kinda lost the argument amidst all the quotey things and thought people were saying he was being a hypocrite for not looking forward to death... can you refresh me?)

Organization_42

Awards

Ah, but that line is actually pretty interesting, mainly because it never existed originally. In the GBA version, it translates to Axel saying that he thought saving Sora and Riku was more interesting than letting Zexion live. Even in the translations of Jap Re:CoM, I could swear that it came out to him saying something about how he was the last one standing, or something like that.

My point? I think this whole "Zexion knows too much" deal was a very recent development, and I'll bet they'll give Axel a motive in "Days." I don't know, it just strikes me as suspicious.

Yeah, except that Demyx used that to remember his mission. I highly doubt that Axel expected to forget his assignment to destroy his best friend!

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yeah, except that Demyx used that to remember his mission. I highly doubt that Axel expected to forget his assignment to destroy his best friend!

Do you think it's ice-cream money too? :D

I seriously thought I'd missed something when I translated it; I had to go back and look and look for a line I thought I'd missed explaining it >_< That, and in the first part when Saix asks about Axel's wound and Axel is like 'wound?'... I thought I'd missed something there, too...

Organization_42

Awards

No, I wonder if it was something Roxas-related though. Same with the wound. Maybe Saix didn't mean a physical wound, but Axel didn't understand that at the time.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Maybe Saix didn't mean a physical wound, but Axel didn't understand that at the time.

Yeah... but then that translates into Saix asking Axel if he's feeling ok. And... Saix.

But it's probably true. Vaguely-implied-Sax-cares-about-Axel maybe not so vaguely implied...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back