• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► What Are You Reading?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
45 pages into This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz. I'm enjoying it, but it doesn't hold a candle to his previous book thus far, though that's okay because he's going for something different in this one. I recently saw some talks of his regarding racial issues (which I would highly recommend viewing) and he mentioned that Yunior (the protagonist and narrator of the book) was raped as a child, so that's going to colour my reading of it, but it re-charged my reading of the book with a keen eye for how social issues develop Yunior's worldview/adventures. I dunno, thus far it's a fun read but I think Diaz is going to throw some brainfood at my way so I'm looking forward to that.

Also almost 300 pages into The Fellowship of The Ring. I know Tolkien wanted to emulate the Edda and other texts in terms of surreal sidep-episodes intersecting with the main quest coupled with long, drawn out descriptions, but while that makes the reading a bit more bearable, I don't care for it. Still, despite myself, I'm actually enjoying the book for the most part. I recently re-watched the movies along with The Hobbit with a fervor and I'm interested in how the events depicted in the film adaptations will compare. I'm just really curious about the scale and mythos of these books.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
I'm just really curious about the scale and mythos of these books.
Have you tried reading through The Silmarillion? It can be kind of a rough read, but I highly recommend it if you're looking into finding out more about the LotR universe.

SoraroS

Awards
I got The Silmarillion on Christmas and I'm just finishing re-reading LOTR to start with that one :D

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Have you tried reading through The Silmarillion? It can be kind of a rough read, but I highly recommend it if you're looking into finding out more about the LotR universe.

I've tried. I think I'll give it another attempt after I finish the trilogy again. I read the three main books long ago when I was younger out of curiosity but besides vague plot points and trivia about the universe, nothing stuck with me, hence this re-read.

testify

Fighter of the Nightman
Awards
Almost done with A Clash of Kings, and also in the middle of Fight Club.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
I got Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut for Three King's Day, so I'm reading that

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards
Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Light reading, yes, this is for light reading~
Till I find another book!

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Clive Cussler's Poseidon's Arrow. I was majorly into his books several years ago, and absolutely churned through the backlog of his Dirk Pitt titles up until the most recent one, and now they just trickle through at the speed of writing/publishing. God I miss a good caper tale like he offers.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
"The Upside of Irrationality" by Dan Ariely. It's not exactly a light read but, it's an interesting read so far.

"The Vincent Boys" by Abbi Glines. I'm a hopeless romantic at heart, lol.

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards
Finished reading Stardust. It was good, wasn't as good though as Gaiman's other works :3

Don't know which to start reading first: Angels and Demons by Dan Brown or Looking for Alaska by John Green?

Also, anyone has recommendations on some good poetry books/writers?

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Don't know which to start reading first: Angels and Demons by Dan Brown or Looking for Alaska by John Green?

I'd go with "Looking for Alaska" by John Green. It was a pretty good light novel that keeps you hooked in until the very end.

Unfortunately, I don't know any poetry books or writers to recommend.

I've been reading "Graffiti Moon" by Cathy Crowley & "Alice in Zombieland" by Gena Showalter.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I'm reading all three of these at the moment:

The Maze Runner, but James Dashner.
Department 19, by Will Hill
The Walking Dead Compendium Two by Robert Kirkman

Out of the bunch I'd say The Maze Runner is keeping up my interest. The Walking Dead is just too depressing and I really haven't gotten into Department 19 yet.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm reading Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott, which is a very great yet informative read; it's inspired me to write the beginning of my own novel (of which I've written the ending and chunks of the middle, gah) and revisit some of its plot and character, as well as their relationships', development. In general I want to finish the book before pursuing everything on a more serious level, which is a bit of a personal wake-up call to me given how dark my days have as of late. The way Lamott ties writing and stories to life is familiar but refreshing, endearing, and honest. Really need it.

khspartan14

I just finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray a little while back. Oscar Wilde is a freaking genius with the English language, he can be witty, serious, light-hearted and tragic all in the same page. I have to say it is probably the best book I have ever read.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
A Game of Thrones:

Interesting world, semi-original too (the world, I mean), tad problematic, tedious read, pretty engaging plot. Makes me want to get into the television show, at least.

Still continuing on with Fellowship of The Ring, Cosmos, Bird by Bird, and The Hero With A Thousand Faces, all of which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Forgot how kinda weak/weird the beginning of the latter was but like all these reads, once you get into them, they're great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back