• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Beauty and the Beast - March 17th - "Be Our Guest"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
[video=youtube;nT1VQkTTT7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1VQkTTT7M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is good, this is really good.

I got my tickets for the premiere, I'm too ready.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
[video=youtube;nT1VQkTTT7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1VQkTTT7M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is good, this is really good.

I got my tickets for the premiere, I'm too ready.

That's soooo good.

I hadn't paid attention to this at all but after finding this today I gotta say I'm gonna watch it as soon as I can.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
here a clip rmeber nobody sing like gaston

[video=youtube;1JG6f5_37tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JG6f5_37tg[/video]

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
'Beauty and the Beast' will introduce world to first gay Disney character Well, it looks like LeFou will be gay for Gaston. I wonder if the writers will add more to Lumiere and Cogsworth's relationship. I've kind of think that Lumiere is bisexual since he has a habit of picking on Cogsworth and Cogsworth usually gets angry with Lumiere's antics. They are also friends and friends just like partners tolerate, joke and even get angry at the other's antics and behaviors. However, Lumiere is also a bit of a lady's man as shown with the maid that was turned into a feather duster and the Christmas angel from the second film. So, it would be interesting to see a pansexual spin on Lumiere and Cogsworth's relationship.

I've kind of expected LeFou to be made out as gay since he is severely loyal to Gaston despite always being abused by the latter.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I had a pretty massive knee-jerk reaction yesterday after my happiness wore off and I got to the part where Condon said "exclusively gay moment". I respect him and I know he is gay (on top of admiring him since I was a child), but the whole thing sets off my fears of potential tokenism.

LeFou is both comedy relief and the villain's lackey, which tends to be roles too many gay/bi or gay/bi-coded characters tend to get written as in popular media. So while I have hope that this is more of a matter of rounding his character out and they flip the script on us...I just can't help but worry.

I would have appreciated discovering LeFou's self-discovery during the film rather than from this interview tbh. Also, much of my knee-jerk reaction stems from me just really craving more LGBT characters in media that don't fall into roles that have been done constantly.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I had a pretty massive knee-jerk reaction yesterday after my happiness wore off and I got to the part where Condon said "exclusively gay moment". I respect him and I know he is gay (on top of admiring him since I was a child), but the whole thing sets off my fears of potential tokenism.

LeFou is both comedy relief and the villain's lackey, which tends to be roles too many gay/bi or gay/bi-coded characters tend to get written as in popular media. So while I have hope that this is more of a matter of rounding his character out and they flip the script on us...I just can't help but worry.

I would have appreciated discovering LeFou's self-discovery during the film rather than from this interview tbh. Also, much of my knee-jerk reaction stems from me just really craving more LGBT characters in media that don't fall into roles that have been done constantly.

Yeah, hopefully Disney will come up with some film that actually has a character that happens to be LGBT+. Disney is known for borrowing from classic works, so they can use their creative spin and start a new franchise. I can see LeFou having his own movie. It would take a lot to make a sequel that would actually top the box offices and surpass the original 1991 one. I don't know how Disney would do that without some sort of controversy arising since LeFou would likely be portrayed as the villain since he was involved with the storming of castle and would likely seek revenge on the town, Maurice, The Beast, Belle and the servants because he just couldn't let Gaston's death go unresolved, especially since LeFou is going to be portrayed as gay for Gaston.

LeFou would have to step up his game, since the guy is typically seen as the comic relief. LeFou could actually draw inspirations from Clopin, who is a good guy but did have his dark moments of humiliating Quasimoto in front of the town and revealing his secret escape to Frollo and nearly executing said protagonist and Phoebus by hanging because they stumbled upon the Court of Miracles.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
OK, I haven't seen the movie and I know one article about it and why my friend has a issue with it (he has issues with a a lot of things, why think any American movie director be interested in Gabriel Dropout of all anime just because of whitewashing I thought people made that point move on) but

Outside Good luck Charlie, when did Disney start putting LGBT Characters in their movies and why this trigger people (or my friend).

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
OK, I haven't seen the movie and I know one article about it and why my friend has a issue with it (he has issues with a a lot of things, why think any American movie director be interested in Gabriel Dropout of all anime just because of whitewashing I thought people made that point move on) but

Outside Good luck Charlie, when did Disney start putting LGBT Characters in their movies and why this trigger people (or my friend).
It's pretty much because they feel like Disney is forcing LGBT+ characters into their face with LeFou and sneaking sexual innuendos into their films (Example: When Simba hits the ground after an exhaustive night, the dust flies off and spells "Sex" or something like that). Disney has always been in the spotlight of controversy with them being sued by the author of Bambi during WWII, I heard the case is still ongoing and Donald Duck having a nightmare where he was a soldier in WWII Germany.

Anyways, back on topic, they just think that Disney is forcing their kids to question their sexuality at an early age with LeFou and Good Luck Charlie. They could act a lot more mature about it.

As Master Spockanort mentioned earlier, LeFou might make a strawman out of the LGBT+ because of his status within the story, he's the villain's comic relief henchman. Therefore, LeFou will probably get it into people's heads that all LGBT+ characters are like him since there isn't much to any that are known to be the hero or on the hero's side.

I would say that Lumiere and Cogsworth's relationship should be expanded upon. Not necessarily re-writing the characters, but possibly have Lumiere and Cogsworth having feelings for each other. Cogsworth could be using his prudish attitude as front towards Lumiere disregarding the master's orders and also he is also ditching him for other women.

The whole controversy thing will pass. Frozen was also accused of promoting LGBT+ issues because Elsa was saved by her sister, instead of living happily ever after with the guy. These people pretty much accuse Elsa and Anna of being in a lesbian relationship, despite the two being sisters. Of course, these same people that are starting this controversy might also be accusing Belle and Beast of promoting bestiality since Beast is technically not human at this point and Belle is human.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Just butting in, but after seeing super pretty boys in shojo anime that are so hot that even DUDES fall for him, I kind of got the idea after reading that article.

No hate. I'm happy there is LGBT representation, but how will they present this?

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It's pretty much because they feel like Disney is forcing LGBT+ characters into their face with LeFou and sneaking sexual innuendos into their films (Example: When Simba hits the ground after an exhaustive night, the dust flies off and spells "Sex" or something like that). Disney has always been in the spotlight of controversy with them being sued by the author of Bambi during WWII, I heard the case is still ongoing and Donald Duck having a nightmare where he was a soldier in WWII Germany.

Anyways, back on topic, they just think that Disney is forcing their kids to question their sexuality at an early age with LeFou and Good Luck Charlie. They could act a lot more mature about it.

As Master Spockanort mentioned earlier, LeFou might make a strawman out of the LGBT+ because of his status within the story, he's the villain's comic relief henchman. Therefore, LeFou will probably get it into people's heads that all LGBT+ characters are like him since there isn't much to any that are known to be the hero or on the hero's side.

I would say that Lumiere and Cogsworth's relationship should be expanded upon. Not necessarily re-writing the characters, but possibly have Lumiere and Cogsworth having feelings for each other. Cogsworth could be using his prudish attitude as front towards Lumiere disregarding the master's orders and also he is also ditching him for other women.

The whole controversy thing will pass. Frozen was also accused of promoting LGBT+ issues because Elsa was saved by her sister, instead of living happily ever after with the guy. These people pretty much accuse Elsa and Anna of being in a lesbian relationship, despite the two being sisters. Of course, these same people that are starting this controversy might also be accusing Belle and Beast of promoting bestiality since Beast is technically not human at this point and Belle is human.

But but but Beauty and the Beast has been around.... Never mind, I deal with the stupidity of my friends, the whole world just got dumber.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Gay LeFou can't distract us from a wonderful performance from Emma Watson.
Fixed that for you.

also tbh I don't care about lefou being gay, like, it's cool that there's representation and all but lefou has never been the focus of the movie. Not to mention that gaston and lefou's "friendship" is toxic and abusive so it's not ideal however you look at it, however, if they struck parallels between them and belle/beast then that would be kind of genius and I'd be glad for the change.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Gimmie more gay villains. I'll take 100 movies with gay villains pls.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
No hate. I'm happy there is LGBT representation, but how will they present this?
Probably in a totally innocuous, blink-and-you'll-miss-it nod which had to be contextualized by way of just such an interview or else it would have gone over the heads of most of the audience.

Fixed that for you.
I get that having lowered to nonexistent standards surrounding anything perceived as cute fluff with mainstream appeal is all the rage now and far be it from me to deny anyone their simple pleasures: but this is a musical and the leading lady doesn't have the notes for it. Her natural voice is pleasant but too fragile to carry the demands of the role which is why they're over-processing it and shortening her sung lines (as evidenced in the brief clip posted a page or so back). I don't really get why pointing out something as obvious and distracting as this would be controversial.

it's cool that there's representation and all but lefou has never been the focus of the movie.
I tend to think queer representation is more than being the occasional not-focus of big budget event films. I also think Disney could spare the political capital it would require to stick their necks out just a bit more and take a commanding stance on queer representation in their films rather than merely dipping their toes in the water so as to maintain a safe distance backed by questionable integrity with regards to this issue.

Gimmie more gay villains. I'll take 100 movies with gay villains pls.
LeFou isn't even a villain, though: he plays second fiddle to the villain by way of oafish serfdom. It's arguable as to whether he's even a character in his own right.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
LeFou isn't even a villain, though: he plays second fiddle to the villain by way of oafish serfdom. It's arguable as to whether he's even a character in his own right.
Gateway gay villain.

At this point, while I understand it's an important part of LGBT+ history, I'm over films with gay people dying and having HIV. I want fun gays, comedy movies with gays, movies with gay villains, movies with gay heroes. I'm over the sad and I'm happy this will be a fun film with a gay "second fiddle".

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Ok, so let me be sure I got this straight...

This is a story that centers around the love that develops between a human girl and a hideous beast. Yes, said beast might've been human at one point, but regardless, the girl still falls in love with him even when he's still a wolf-bear-bull hybrid looking-thingy with horns and fangs and claws and a dickish attitude. Everyone's ok with this.

Then we have some vague implications of a homosexual relationship, and everyone loses their minds.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Ok, so let me be sure I got this straight...

This is a story that centers around the love that develops between a human girl and a hideous beast. Yes, said beast might've been human at one point, but regardless, the girl still falls in love with him even when he's still a wolf-bear-bull hybrid looking-thingy with horns and fangs and claws and a dickish attitude. Everyone's ok with this.

Then we have some vague implications of a homosexual relationship, and everyone loses their minds.

So long as it's hetro-bestiality & not Homo-beastiality.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Okay, so let me be sure I got this straight...

This is a story that centers around the love that develops between a human girl and a hideous beast. Yes, said beast might've been human at one point, but regardless, the girl still falls in love with him even when he's still a wolf-bear-bull hybrid looking-thingy with horns and fangs and claws and a hostile attitude. Everyone's okay with this.

Well, not everyone is fine with Belle and Beast's relationship. Some people went so far as to claim that Belle has Stockholm Syndrome and that Gaston is secretly the good guy since he tries to save her from captivity.

[video=youtube;8rAHX9czBMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rAHX9czBMQ[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back