• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Discussion: Key to Return Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seighart

Awards
Id like to it to be a character. After all, Roxas was the Key to Destiny right? Also, I'd like the introduction of a new character actually. Here me out though, most people say they want a new character to tie into the a previous or current character, but have we forgotten the series won't end here?

I propose the new character would be the contributing factor to both the end of this saga, and the start of the next.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
Id like to it to be a character. After all, Roxas was the Key to Destiny right? Also, I'd like the introduction of a new character actually. Here me out though, most people say they want a new character to tie into the a previous or current character, but have we forgotten the series won't end here?

I propose the new character would be the contributing factor to both the end of this saga, and the start of the next.
I understand the desire for a new character, I REALLY do. I just...don't think it's the best idea to put some new person at the end of the saga. Maybe a mystery cameo near or at the endgame, but not in such an important role. I'm not opposed to a new member of the gang, but it just wouldn't be practical.

Hope it happens soon, tho! :3

SRKTAVRXAYGDM

Awards
I understand the desire for a new character, I REALLY do. I just...don't think it's the best idea to put some new person at the end of the saga. Maybe a mystery cameo near or at the endgame, but not in such an important role. I'm not opposed to a new member of the gang, but it just wouldn't be practical.

Hope it happens soon, tho! :3

I see where you're coming from, but the secret endings being used to hint at the next saga is getting kinda old. Maybe this character will still have some secrets at the end of the game, hopfully enough to keep some fans onboard.

Changer

That's ok. I almost always killed the butterflies, anyways =)
I enjoyed this skit.

More on topic, I honestly don't think that we have enough information yet to come up with any good theories. There's just to many possibilities right now to really try and figure out what the Key to Return Hearts is supposed to be. I mean, the only thing we have to go on is the name, and the fact that it is apparently important enough for Sora to drop everthing and go off scouring about the universe looking for the thing. We don't even know if its a person, object, technique or the aforementioned butterfly net. On the bright side, the lack of information means that people will start getting creative with their theories, which is always nice.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I highly doubt that the "Key to Return Hearts" would be actually the X-blade. If this item/ability/technique is really the needed tool to save the tormented ones it being the X-blade would not add up because no one could be saved until the final battle/shortly before the final series of battles.

Besides, it would be somewhat misleading in themes. The "Key to Return Hearts" seems to be indicated as a key of benevolence, something to create/re-create while the X-blade is an artifact of doom that is the cause of destruction and endings, not beginnings. As indicated by MX (as unreliable narrator he is, Eraqus and Yen Sid seem to agree with his interpretation) even the letter "X/Chi" means exactly the opposite to what the "Key to Return Hearts" is implied to be.

If this new Key is to be actually an already existing Keyblade instead of a completely new one, I'll say the possibility that Eraqus' Keyblade might be it is more plausible, maybe not even Eraqus knowing that it actually is the Key to Return Hearts.
It's a far stretch, but since the BBS cast is strongly connected with latin names and the teeth of the Keyblade are formed like an E, this may have some more symbolism.
Sure, the E could simply stand for "Eraqus", which is the easiest meaning, but in KH things can have more than one meaning, and E can also stand for the latin words:
- Excito, which can be translated as "to wake" or to "raise up" which fits thematically with those who are "sleeping" right now.
or
- Exorior, which can also translated as "to raise", but as well as "appear" or "come forward".

---

On the key being a person though that's entirely probable, although I slightly doubt it will be Sora since Sora already is a key and has a title:

Sora is the "Key that connects everything"
Roxas has the title "Key of Destiny"
Vanitas is the "Key of Darkness"
and Ventus the "Key of Light"

so I'd say these four are already out of the question.
If I have to place a bet on who it is if it is indeed a person and and not an ability/procedure, I'd say the most likely candidate is Kairi.

She was the one to help Sora return to his human form in KH 1 and essentially return/restore his heart. It may have been a subconsious display of her innate ability to do this, but she cannot consiously control it or do it on people not very close to her yet, so there may be more "bricks" in the whole procedure to function correctly of which Kairi is only the central piece.
It may also be a collective ability of all the PoH that gets stronger (and may even be able to repair damaged hearts and create new bodies) the more Princesses are involved in using it.
All seven at their full power might even be able to completely revive anything and anybody without any side effects.

Philman12

I'm going to have to agree with Sephiroth about Kairi being the key. In the secret ending of DDD, I think it is hinted that Kairi will play a larger roll in KH3 especially in the scene the texts reads, "the last key". Story wise this makes a lot of sense because Kairi has a pure heart and has returned Sora to his human form before without harming his nobody. So really I think only kairi can return the hearts that are lost. Kairi could use her keyblade to release the lost hearts resting inside Sora without hurting Sora in any way.
Its also possible that it could be a power that all the princesses of heart use while together. The Keyblade of People's Hearts could be the blade, but because it wasn't completed fully, it did not have the ability to return hearts. It doesn't make sense that a keyblade made from pure light could only be used to release hearts and be evil, and the fact that it was incompete makes me feel like it has more powers yet to be seen. Maybe in 3 we will see that keyblade fully created and that power unlocked but only Kairi can use the KOPH. She is the only wielder out of the 7 and the one with ties with Sora.
What do you guys think of that theory?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I think that's a good theory. I always thought the Keyblade of People's Hearts should of had some sort of purpose in later games and this would be it.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I highly doubt that the "Key to Return Hearts" would be actually the X-blade. If this item/ability/technique is really the needed tool to save the tormented ones it being the X-blade would not add up because no one could be saved until the final battle/shortly before the final series of battles.

Besides, it would be somewhat misleading in themes. The "Key to Return Hearts" seems to be indicated as a key of benevolence, something to create/re-create while the X-blade is an artifact of doom that is the cause of destruction and endings, not beginnings. As indicated by MX (as unreliable narrator he is, Eraqus and Yen Sid seem to agree with his interpretation) even the letter "X/Chi" means exactly the opposite to what the "Key to Return Hearts" is implied to be.

If this new Key is to be actually an already existing Keyblade instead of a completely new one, I'll say the possibility that Eraqus' Keyblade might be it is more plausible, maybe not even Eraqus knowing that it actually is the Key to Return Hearts.
It's a far stretch, but since the BBS cast is strongly connected with latin names and the teeth of the Keyblade are formed like an E, this may have some more symbolism.
Sure, the E could simply stand for "Eraqus", which is the easiest meaning, but in KH things can have more than one meaning, and E can also stand for the latin words:
- Excito, which can be translated as "to wake" or to "raise up" which fits thematically with those who are "sleeping" right now.
or
- Exorior, which can also translated as "to raise", but as well as "appear" or "come forward".

---

On the key being a person though that's entirely probable, although I slightly doubt it will be Sora since Sora already is a key and has a title:

Sora is the "Key that connects everything"
Roxas has the title "Key of Destiny"
Vanitas is the "Key of Darkness"
and Ventus the "Key of Light"

so I'd say these four are already out of the question.
If I have to place a bet on who it is if it is indeed a person and and not an ability/procedure, I'd say the most likely candidate is Kairi.

She was the one to help Sora return to his human form in KH 1 and essentially return/restore his heart. It may have been a subconsious display of her innate ability to do this, but she cannot consiously control it or do it on people not very close to her yet, so there may be more "bricks" in the whole procedure to function correctly of which Kairi is only the central piece.
It may also be a collective ability of all the PoH that gets stronger (and may even be able to repair damaged hearts and create new bodies) the more Princesses are involved in using it.
All seven at their full power might even be able to completely revive anything and anybody without any side effects.

That idea with Eraqus' keyblade is a really great one, I would've never made the connection to it's E shaped teeth to those latin words.

Though I think I like your Kairi idea most, it'd certainly help give her importance and screen time she's been denied up till now and the 7 PoH together being able to restore beings on a grand scale seems like a plausible theory to me since it's said that the light of children restored the world the first time after the keyblade war.
Perhaps those 'children' were the original PoH.

Keyblade Angel

Idk if anyone has said this but I'd be interesting if Kiari is the key they need and she has to sacrifice herself somehow...poor sora :'( hope nothing like that would be the case

ChibiHearts249

Awards
The Kairi theory is a solid one, and that last chapter being called "The Last Key" would be cause for an excellent double meaning. But unless Master Yen Sid doesn't know what the key is, why wouldn't he consider that possibilty before sending everyone out? (unless he actually DOES, we don't know yet) Kairi wants to fight, that's true. And Yen Sid is (obviously) not all-knowing. So maybe he sends Sora out without even considering Kairi. But I'm not so sure. I think he'd probly have a hunch if Kairi IS the key, but would he keep it from everyone and send Sora off into danger knowing full well that he could STILL be a target?

I just wanna test this theory, is all ;3

Tsurugi

Awards
It would be pretty funny if Sora was looking for the KtRH and would find out he himself is the key.

Or maybe the KtRH is love.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
That idea with Eraqus' keyblade is a really great one, I would've never made the connection to it's E shaped teeth to those latin words.

Though I think I like your Kairi idea most, it'd certainly help give her importance and screen time she's been denied up till now and the 7 PoH together being able to restore beings on a grand scale seems like a plausible theory to me since it's said that the light of children restored the world the first time after the keyblade war.
Perhaps those 'children' were the original PoH.

Heh, thanks. I actually came across these words rather coincidentally while I was roaming the net to search for some Latin words I could use as names for ships. Then I remembered this thread and the design of Eraqus' Keyblade.
All in all, if the "Key to Return Hearts" is really a Keyblade I would like it being Eraqus' much more than something like the X-blade, although the best thing would probably be if it would be a completely new design.

That's also my spin on this theory, as it would not only give Kairi some more importance on the overall plot, considering who the ones to be saved are it would also open up more opportunities for Kairi to interact with characters other than Sora.
It would give some chances for her to become a character in her own right and not just the "trophy girl" and designated crush for Sora.
Indeed, although there would have to be some countermeasure to the whole thing, like i.e. the Princesses getting very exhausted (and since their hearts stabilize the whole universe, threaten to have the worlds getting cast into darkness) if they have to revive a large amount of people in a very short amount of time.
This is because otherwise such an ability would be very overpowered not because it could reverse any losses, but because it could reverse any losses in an instant. There has to be some measure to limit the use of such a powerful ability, which could probably be named the ultimate white magic.
Since the PoH didn't exist at the time of the Keyblade War but came into being after as a subsitution for the lost true KH, it would be indeed plausible if the Princesses had the power to grant/restore life, as that's essentially what KH itself does.
From what Yen Sid says in DDD:
But though the war extinguished all light from the World, the darkness could not reach the brightness inside every child's heart.
It seems that every child (cuz children are meant to be innocent) had in some form a hand in rebuilding the universe, although later on all those sparks of light from the children formed seven hearts of pure light to act as a replacement for the lost true KH. In an answer to that, the light half of the original X-blade also split into seven in order to protect those new pure lights.

Yen Sid: The Keyblade Wars of yore plunged the true Kingdom Hearts into
darkness, and the Chi-blade was shattered. But the light still shining in
the hearts of children rebuilt the world that we know today. And the light
from the broken Chi-blade was then divided into seven, to protect the
number of pure hearts in the world.

That means the seven light pieces of the X-blade perform now the same task for the seven pure hearts that the whole X-blade originally performed for the true KH.

Idk if anyone has said this but I'd be interesting if Kiari is the key they need and she has to sacrifice herself somehow...poor sora :'( hope nothing like that would be the case

We have seven people to save, and the "Key to Return Hearts" seems to be one of the main tools needed for that, so if the Key is a person and has to be sacrificed to use the key, they would have to sacrifice seven people to bring back seven other people? Sounds like a bad deal to me in all honesty.
Beside that, when I look at the whole series so far from KH 1 till Dream Drop Distance, we had so plenty of sacrifices and self-sacrifices already that it may become stale if it is used too often, especially by the good guys.

The Kairi theory is a solid one, and that last chapter being called "The Last Key" would be cause for an excellent double meaning. But unless Master Yen Sid doesn't know what the key is, why wouldn't he consider that possibilty before sending everyone out? (unless he actually DOES, we don't know yet) Kairi wants to fight, that's true. And Yen Sid is (obviously) not all-knowing. So maybe he sends Sora out without even considering Kairi. But I'm not so sure. I think he'd probly have a hunch if Kairi IS the key, but would he keep it from everyone and send Sora off into danger knowing full well that he could STILL be a target?

I just wanna test this theory, is all ;3

The main issue with Yen Sid is that we do not know how the good guys will come to know that they even need to find the "Key to Return Hearts". As far as the characters in-universe are concerned so far they know that the things needed to rescue those in torment are Sora's heart (because that's what connects all of them) and Ansem the Wise's research data.
We know about the data, but not what exactly it holds or does. Nomura stated that the data holds the details as to how to reconnect and awaken lost hearts, but that's also just the "what" and not the "how". Yen Sid may be wise, but he's certainly not all-knowing and even if he does know that a "Key to Return Hearts" exists, he may not know its form, then sending out Sora would be actually the smartest move on his part since it has been said since Blank Points in BBS that Sora alone is the one able to restore and save those in torment.
So sending Sora after the Key makes the most sense because he would be the one needed to wield it/use it, regardless if it is a weapon, a person or just an ability.

It would be pretty funny if Sora was looking for the KtRH and would find out he himself is the key.

Or maybe the KtRH is love.

While that is a twist I could see Nomura pulling, I doubt it simply because for any reasonable KH fan this one would be obvious from the get go.

If it would be simply love, they would already have the Key and do not need to search for it because Ansem the Wise already explained to Riku that Sora's heart is filled with love for other people and beings.
Sora's pure and loving heart was it that, according to Ansem, led to him being the only one who became whole without destroying his Nobody.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Heh, thanks. I actually came across these words rather coincidentally while I was roaming the net to search for some Latin words I could use as names for ships. Then I remembered this thread and the design of Eraqus' Keyblade.
All in all, if the "Key to Return Hearts" is really a Keyblade I would like it being Eraqus' much more than something like the X-blade, although the best thing would probably be if it would be a completely new design.

That's also my spin on this theory, as it would not only give Kairi some more importance on the overall plot, considering who the ones to be saved are it would also open up more opportunities for Kairi to interact with characters other than Sora.
It would give some chances for her to become a character in her own right and not just the "trophy girl" and designated crush for Sora.
Indeed, although there would have to be some countermeasure to the whole thing, like i.e. the Princesses getting very exhausted (and since their hearts stabilize the whole universe, threaten to have the worlds getting cast into darkness) if they have to revive a large amount of people in a very short amount of time.
This is because otherwise such an ability would be very overpowered not because it could reverse any losses, but because it could reverse any losses in an instant. There has to be some measure to limit the use of such a powerful ability, which could probably be named the ultimate white magic.
Since the PoH didn't exist at the time of the Keyblade War but came into being after as a subsitution for the lost true KH, it would be indeed plausible if the Princesses had the power to grant/restore life, as that's essentially what KH itself does.
From what Yen Sid says in DDD:

It seems that every child (cuz children are meant to be innocent) had in some form a hand in rebuilding the universe, although later on all those sparks of light from the children formed seven hearts of pure light to act as a replacement for the lost true KH. In an answer to that, the light half of the original X-blade also split into seven in order to protect those new pure lights.
That's pretty amazing, it's like the words appeared before you. xD
After reading your theory I agree, plus it'd kinda make more sense as to why Eraqus' blade seems special compared to others.

Both being things Kairi desperately needs. Out of a series of so many cameo and original characters she's interacted with a striking small number of them.

That's a great point, without a countermeasure or limits or some sort Nomura could end up abusing such an ability storywise to the point they did with similar things in other series'. (such as dragon balls in DBZ or the snake guy and zombies from naruto that names escape me at the moment)

Valid point, even Diz points out the innocence of children in DDD in his speech on hearts. Though it leaves one to wonder where the 7 xblade light shards are if their protecting the PoH.

Speaking of the keyblade war, a little off topic, but is it possible you think that keyholes also came into existence after the keyblade war like the PoH and walls dividing worlds did? Cause looking back on kh1 with the doors and their keyholes it always appeared to me that the entire "fail safe" system of the worlds was made revolving around the man-made keyblades. Perhaps making the PoH, walls, doors and even the keyblades which destroyed the worlds once one large system to prevent another war.

ChibiHearts249

Awards
@Gram: Yeah, the Keyholes could simply be a world's self-defense mechanism. I'd guess they were made after the blade was broken and the worlds were created separately. Maybe Keyblade weilders made the Keyholes accesible for some unknown reason...

Maybe the KtRH is a place? It doesn't sound like it makes much sense...but if we're trying to cover our bases and all...

Gram

Banned
Awards
@Gram: Yeah, the Keyholes could simply be a world's self-defense mechanism. I'd guess they were made after the blade was broken and the worlds were created separately. Maybe Keyblade weilders made the Keyholes accesible for some unknown reason...

Maybe the KtRH is a place? It doesn't sound like it makes much sense...but if we're trying to cover our bases and all...
Actually the keyblades where originally made for the sole purpose of conquering kingdom hearts which lead to the keyblade wars and [for lack of a better word] a amageddon.
What I'm purposing is that the new system of walls, keyholes and doors was all set up around the man-made keyblades since the original xblade had been destroyed. Being basically weaker imitations they'd have to share some basic functions so it'd make sense if they decided to use the keyblade to replace the original xblade.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
That's pretty amazing, it's like the words appeared before you. xD
After reading your theory I agree, plus it'd kinda make more sense as to why Eraqus' blade seems special compared to others.

Both being things Kairi desperately needs. Out of a series of so many cameo and original characters she's interacted with a striking small number of them.

That's a great point, without a countermeasure or limits or some sort Nomura could end up abusing such an ability storywise to the point they did with similar things in other series'. (such as dragon balls in DBZ or the snake guy and zombies from naruto that names escape me at the moment)

Valid point, even Diz points out the innocence of children in DDD in his speech on hearts. Though it leaves one to wonder where the 7 xblade light shards are if their protecting the PoH.

Speaking of the keyblade war, a little off topic, but is it possible you think that keyholes also came into existence after the keyblade war like the PoH and walls dividing worlds did? Cause looking back on kh1 with the doors and their keyholes it always appeared to me that the entire "fail safe" system of the worlds was made revolving around the man-made keyblades. Perhaps making the PoH, walls, doors and even the keyblades which destroyed the worlds once one large system to prevent another war.

Yup, seems so. :D
At least it would make more sense than the X-blade, lol. As for Eraqus' Keyblade being special though, I am not sure if that was really ever hinted or implied in-game or in an Nomura interview, or if it is just a widely spread fan speculation as the appearance of the Master Keeper in the E3 KH III Trailer has been stated by Nomura to be nothing more than a reminder of one of the main points of the story of KH III (and obviously being a reference back to BBS, which practically lays the groundwork for the story of KH III in all aspects).

Agreed, while I am really not keen on any romance trash, I do want Kairi to become a character of her own that can take her place within the main cast of original characters. She has enough potential to become an interesting character and having her interact (and befriend) characters other than Sora can easily put her role above the usual shallow "main love interest for main male hero"-role.
I remember that starting even in KH 1, when Kairi was finally rescued and in the house in Traverse, she really only interacted with Sora despite Donald and Goofy, Leon, Aerith, Cid and Yuffie being there as well.

This exactly, while I am not opposed to bring characters back (especially when they still have much more potential to be further interesting), it should not be too easy and not be used too often. Dragonball is a huge offender on that turf and as much as I like Sailor Moon as a series, I have to say that story partly also overdoes it with the resurrections and reincarnations, as there the main characters die at least once each arc/season (most often in the finales) and are restored in the end. I do not really follow Naruto so I don't know if there is any abuse of resurrection of characters beside that one-time ability Pain used to revive the entirety of Konoha (and perish himself in the process, making it an ability that can only be used once).
Kingdom Hearts seems to avoid much of this so far simply by making the whole process to bring back someone apparently a real chore of work, so if the Princesses are heavily involved with this I would trust Nomura that he can implement something that would prevent it from being used over and over again like i.e. Sailor Moon's Silver Crystal or the Dragon Balls.

Yep, and despite being a "teen", Sora still has that pureness in his heart, which is one of the central reasons as to why Ansem the Wise claims that Sora is the one who is able to even bring back people who were thought to be lost forever. When taking that into consideration, all those cries of some fans for Sora to become more "mature" would actually totally contradict this central theme of what Sora is and what his heart is made of.

It is even a question if the seven X-blade shards of light have a physical manifestation or if they are just metaphysical elements. Even the proto-X-blade made from Ven and Vanitas gained only a physical form as two of the twenty shards combined, so by itself one shard may not even have a form, it could be just a part of either the light or the darkness of a heart, and manifest only if the high-dimensional clash occurs that is needed to forge a version of the X-blade.
After all, the shards are made of the elements of light and dark, both being (usually) present in every heart, that's why potentially everyone could become either a light shard (Guardian of Light) or a dark shard (Seeker of Darkness) depending on which element is prevalent in the heart in question at the time of the clash.
The only exceptions would be obviously Vanitas (he has his own heart, derived from Ven's) who could only be a dark shard and the Princesses and Ven who could only be light shards respectively.
Going by this, I do not think that we can label the "X-blade shards" as actual physical pieces of a blade that are hidden in some persons heart or are "distributed" by some unseen force among the current Seekers of Darkness or Guardians of Light, but that the original shards are definitely lost and can just be "replicated" from the light and darkness of sufficiently strong hearts, which explains why both Seekers and Guardians do not have to be specific persons but are interchangeable.

I am actually pretty convinced that the Keyholes came into being only after the Keyblade War, since the dividing of the original complete world into countless smaller ones resulted in each smaller world gaining/growing its own heart (think of Xehanort splitting his heart multiple times and/or Ven and Vanitas, but on a world-size scale). To protect these new hearts the Keyholes were devised.
As Yen Sid explains in Dream Drop Distance, the man-made Keyblades were originally crafted and designed for evil, to conquer the light. This does imply that the vast majority of the original Keyblade wielders were in fact power-hungry, greedy and egoistical assholes, maybe of an even worse kind than Xehanort is.

Only after witnessing the massive devastation the Keyblade War waged across the universe, some few leftover Keyblade Wielders choose to repurpose the Keyblades to protect the light (and thus the new worlds and the children who created them). It's not too farfetched to assume that these few leftover good (or turned good) Keyblade Wielders were the ones to erect the current systems of Keyholes, walls around worlds and doors. If it were not leftover Wielders from the war though, maybe even some of the children that saved the universe were the ones to take up the man-made Keyblades to repurpose them
Which would also explain why Keyblade Wielders can so easily bypass all these restrictions as seen in BBS when Eraqus opened the Lanes between with some sort of power himself.

With that, the continuous warnings Eraqus gave to Xehanort to not meddle too deep into such classified knowledge might get another level of importance, as the best security system can be breached if a foul apple has the necessary key to bypass it, like Xehanort does.

You mean something like a spring of resurrection or something, like a more potent fountain of youth.
Why do I suddenly imagine Sora standing before a running fountain, throwing Roxas', Xion's and Naminé's hearts into it and they emerge as fully restored persons from it? *ggg*.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Yup, seems so. :D
At least it would make more sense than the X-blade, lol. As for Eraqus' Keyblade being special though, I am not sure if that was really ever hinted or implied in-game or in an Nomura interview, or if it is just a widely spread fan speculation as the appearance of the Master Keeper in the E3 KH III Trailer has been stated by Nomura to be nothing more than a reminder of one of the main points of the story of KH III (and obviously being a reference back to BBS, which practically lays the groundwork for the story of KH III in all aspects).

I think there's decent potential for Master Keeper to be a special keyblade; the most striking piece of evidence is its possible relation to LoD/CO. If any keyblade could've transformed the world, then why would Eraqus bother to instruct Aqua to use his keyblade, specifically?

I made a theory a while back about MK possibly being a reciprocal to the KoPH. Whereas one keyblade and its respective keyhole would exist to threaten the safety of the RoL, another pair would exist to defend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back