• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Drive Forms

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Would YOU like to see Drive a forms return?

• Absolutely! Bring them back better than ever!!

Votes: 36 73.5%
  • I could care less...

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Nah, it wasn't that good.

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

geist226

Website
www.vividgamer.com
Re: The return of the drive forms?

I'd be in favor of them returning in a different form. I like the idea of leveling up different "Forms" of Sora/Riku that allow specialization in Melee vs. Magic vs. Balanced and what have you, but if we go that route I'd like to see them used more often but be much less powerful. Make Sora's standard form the way to go for a balanced playstyle, but then Valor and Wisdom (or whatever they get called and changed to) would cater to those who want to go strictly melee or strictly magic. Tinkering around with each tree would be useful for unlocking abilities that can also be used in Sora's standard form.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

*3* how do you know he's clarifying such a context? maybe for once the infamous nomura was literal.
How else would you explain that sentence? He is being literal. Roxas didn't physically inherit Xion's Keyblade, he had it "awakened" within him. That is, like, the only way that sentence can be read, unless I'm missing something.

plus can one really inherit a false keyblade?
Xion's Keyblade was a copy of Roxas's, but it was still separate from his (as evidenced by the fact that they can both use the Keyblade at the same time). If I copy an mp3 file and send it to you and you send it back to me, can I still listen to that mp3 file?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

It would be awesome if they did a pre final form, or a final form, with Ven's form with all of the wind blades. Except Sora would use a bunch of key blades. I would love to be able to get the maxed out abilites too. Anti-Sora needs to be an official drive form as well.

That is exactly what I don't want. The wing blades are Ven's speciality, it would be so incredible lame if Sora gets all the unique moves from other characters for himself.
Leave the other characters some uniqueness as well, I already didn't find it so thrilling that Roxas didn't get to remain the only dual wielder.

As for on topic. I don't think we need Drive forms back at all, they were overpowered anyways.

No, that isn't the reason why. That doesn't properly explain why Roxas was able to dual-wield. Dual wielding is the act of utilizing two hearts chosen by the Keyblade at once, essentially. The clothes unlocked Sora's forms. Although I'm not sure why he was only able to dual-wield in a form (probably has to do with the manner in which an extra Heart would be accessed), he was able to do it only because of Ven's Heart's presence. (Furthermore, Ven's Heart had to be awakened, which explains why he couldn't dual-wield in KH1 as throughout the course of that game and most of Roxas's story, Ven's Heart was unconscious. Roxas managed to awaken it during his confrontation with Axel.)

We already had this I believe ^___^.
Ven's heart IS the reason Roxas can dual wield because he had Ven's heart.
And dual wielding doesn't require you to literally use both hearts or have both physically present at the same place.
He also didn't awake Ven's blade when confronting Axel but way earlier after he absorbed Xion. In KH2 he only re-awakened it after Naminé had brainwashed him and suppressed his memories.
That Sora could only dual wield in forms so far is most likely because he needs to access Ven's heart to do it. It doesn't need to be awake for that because if Ven's heart would be awake both Roxas and Sora would see visions and memories of him just like with Kairi.

He was just clarifying that it's not like Xion handed Roxas the Keyblade (in the way that Riku handed Kairi one, or the way Aqua used Eraqus's, or the way Riku used Xion's in that same fight); Roxas absorbed Xion and was able to use the Keyblade she had by extension (her Keyblade was "awakened" within him, which is a more intrinsic process). This would also explain why Riku gained memories of Xion back upon receiving the Keyblade from Roxas. It was essentially a remnant of her, lingering in the world, sustained by Roxas. When Riku captured Roxas and DiZ wiped his memories, Xion disappeared completely as the memories that constructed her returned to Sora, so her Keyblade disappeared as well (it was, again, just a copy of Sora's/Roxas's).

He was clarifying it wasn't Xion's keyblade because Xion's keyblade is FAKE.
Roxas wields Sora's and VEN's keyblade, not Xion's.

We have the confirmation:
Why can Roxas dual-wield?
A: Because he can use both Sora’s and Ventus’ keyblades.

Sora can wield two keyblades at once because he has Ventus’ as well as his own. As Roxas is a part of Sora, he also can use two. In Days Roxas awakened his ability to dual wield after fighting Xion. In KHII once Sora absorbs him, he can also dual-wield.
Ventus, not Xion.
Xion only was the trigger to awaken the ability, nothing more.

How else would you explain that sentence? He is being literal. Roxas didn't physically inherit Xion's Keyblade, he had it "awakened" within him. That is, like, the only way that sentence can be read, unless I'm missing something.

Xion's Keyblade was a copy of Roxas's, but it was still separate from his (as evidenced by the fact that they can both use the Keyblade at the same time). If I copy an mp3 file and send it to you and you send it back to me, can I still listen to that mp3 file?
The sentence is very easy to explain because Roxas awakenend Ven's keyblade within him when he absorbed Xion.
Roxas didn't inherit nor had anything to do with Xion's "keyblade" because there wasn't anything to inherit or awake.

In his great emotional stress he gained full access to Ven's blade.
Xion's blade was nothing but a fleeting memory copy of Sora's, Riku already discredited it as a sham.

Roxas and Sora also used the same keyblade at the same time, it isn't a new thing.

As also already has been confirmed as far back as KH2:
The Keyblade that Roxas used and the thing that Sora once lost in Castle Oblivion are the same thing. Furthermore, these two both used the Keyblade at the same time. This is can be explained by the relationship between Roxas and Sora.

Last edited:

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Okay Drive Forms weren't necessarily bad just extremely overpowered.

If they decide to bring them back my only thing is fix them because they were about as broken as most fighting games today.

sub6snoopy

I would love to see the drive forms come back! I prefer them over the weird transformations in BBS. It would be awesome if Anti-Form became a legit form you could level up. The only form I think that can be considered over powered was final form. With Final Form everything was dust in under 1 minute.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

@ sub6snoopy

Those weird transformations were better than anything we had in a while. In fact they are what Drive Forms most likely should have been I'm certain others would suggest or say the same thing.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

He was clarifying it wasn't Xion's keyblade because Xion's keyblade is FAKE.
Roxas wields Sora's and VEN's keyblade, not Xion's.
The problem with this statement is that Ven is never mentioned in the Days Ultimania interview. "It" can't be referring to Ven's Keyblade because there is nothing to preface the sentence in that manner. "It" is a pronoun-- just like "she" and "he," when used in a sentence, it must correspond to an object, person, or item that was mentioned in that sentence (or corresponding sentences), or else it has no meaning. Read the sentence again, in full:

Well, it isn’t that Roxas has physically inherited Xion’s keyblade, but more that Xion has awakened it within Roxas.
Here, "it" must refer to Xion's Keyblade because that is the object which prefaces the usage of the pronoun. Saying that it refers to Ventus's Keyblade when that is never mentioned in the interview, much less the sentence, provides for a major fallacy. It's like saying that in this sentence:

Xion wants Roxas to set Kingdom Hearts free, but doesn’t want him to face Xemnas right now.
the pronoun "him" could be referring to Ventus. It can't. It's referring to Roxas, the only candidate for the usage of the pronoun in the structure of the sentence.

Furthermore, Nomura clarifies ahead of time that it is Xion's Keyblade:

...the reason why Roxas throws a keyblade to Riku, and we then see a vision of Xion, is that there is a small remaining part of Xion in Roxas that wants to stop him, and makes him take those actions. The name of the keyblade that is given to Riku suggests that it has something to do with Xion.
If it was Ven's Keyblade, it would have nothing to do with Xion. That Keyblade was the last remnant of Xion which had been awakened within Roxas as a factor of their merging together. After Xion disappeared, Roxas awakened Ventus's Keyblade during his confrontation with Axel in Kingdom Hearts II, and it's because of Ven's Keyblade that both Roxas and Sora can dual-wield from that point on.

You also have to remember that at the time of the 358/2 Days Ultimania release, very little was known about Ven's true connection to Sora and Roxas aside from his similar appearance to the latter. Nomura wouldn't casually reveal it in an interview that came out months before the game which explores that fact, which is why Ven isn't mentioned by name in the Days Ultimania interview.

For all the reasons listed above, it simply doesn't make sense for Nomura to be referring to Ven in the answer to that question.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

@ sub6snoopy

Those weird transformations were better than anything we had in a while. In fact they are what Drive Forms most likely should have been I'm certain others would suggest or say the same thing.

It's rare that Shinjuku and I agree on something, but this I have to sign without any doubt.
The command styles in BBS were way better than Drive forms.

The problem with this statement is that Ven is never mentioned in the Days Ultimania interview. "It" can't be referring to Ven's Keyblade because there is nothing to preface the sentence in that manner. "It" is a pronoun-- just like "she" and "he," when used in a sentence, it must correspond to an object, person, or item that was mentioned in that sentence (or corresponding sentences), or else it has no meaning. Read the sentence again, in full:

Here, "it" must refer to Xion's Keyblade because that is the object which prefaces the usage of the pronoun. Saying that it refers to Ventus's Keyblade when that is never mentioned in the interview, much less the sentence, provides for a major fallacy. It's like saying that in this sentence:

the pronoun "him" could be referring to Ventus. It can't. It's referring to Roxas, the only candidate for the usage of the pronoun in the structure of the sentence.

If Ventus is directly referred to by name or not is completely irrelevant, he is already referred to in this interview and all these things are subtle foreshadowing and BBS's plot was thought up before Days.
BBS was the first one started and the last to be completed out of the BBS/Days/Coded-triplet.

"It" in this case refers to the object "keyblade", not "Xion's" keyblade because Xion never had a keyblade, she only sapped power from Sora through Roxas and copied Sora's keyblade.

You have read the other confirmation, haven't you? It is confirmed that the two keyblades in play are Sora's and Ven's, there aren't more, just these two.

Furthermore, Nomura clarifies ahead of time that it is Xion's Keyblade:

If it was Ven's Keyblade, it would have nothing to do with Xion. That Keyblade was the last remnant of Xion which had been awakened within Roxas as a factor of their merging together. After Xion disappeared, Roxas awakened Ventus's Keyblade during his confrontation with Axel in Kingdom Hearts II, and it's because of Ven's Keyblade that both Roxas and Sora can dual-wield from that point on.

You read the whole thing false, Nomura says that there is a small part of Xion remaining in Roxas, not in a keyblade. The keyblade Roxas tosses to Riku at Xion's behalf (from within him, she shortly takes control of his arm) is Sora's, that's also the reason Riku can use it without problems against Roxas. It was 1st originally meant to be his, 2nd Xion (as already being a part of Sora) allowed him to keep it.
The name of the keyblade is suggested to have something to do with Xion, not the blade itself, which is true since Oblivion => forgetting stuff and in japanese there's also the meaning of that flower which name I sadly forgot.
And of course does Ven's keyblade has nothing to do with Xion. Ven's blade is the Oathkeeper which Roxas kept for himself.

Roxas awakening two different keyblades only for one fight in KH2 is pure speculation and nowhere is this hinted or even reasonable.
Roxas lost his complete wielding abilities in the virtual Twilight Town because Naminé and DiZ brainwashed him.
The single keyblade he used through the seven days until he regained his memories was a data-one programmed by DiZ.
When he got his memories back he also regained access to both keyblades he had awakened since he defeated Xion and all powers she sapped where returned to him, Sora's and Ven's keyblades.

You also have to remember that at the time of the 358/2 Days Ultimania release, very little was known about Ven's true connection to Sora and Roxas aside from his similar appearance to the latter. Nomura wouldn't casually reveal it in an interview that came out months before the game which explores that fact, which is why Ven isn't mentioned by name in the Days Ultimania interview.

For all the reasons listed above, it simply doesn't make sense for Nomura to be referring to Ven in the answer to that question.

Nomura didn't reveal it casually, he camouflaged it as he normally does. This interview is already littered with allusions for BBS (whose story, as I said earlier, was thought up by Nomura before Days), like the Xigbar-Ven connection or Xemnas's obsession with the Chamber of Waking.
Combine the allusions this with the later interviews which confirm stuff you get the true meaning of it all. Building in Xion's fake only overcomplicates things and also doesn't make any sense because Xion's blade was never real. It functioned but only when she sapped power from Roxas (and by extension from Sora). In the end, it was all Sora's keyblade which power got divided between Roxas and Xion.

I suggest you read the whole answer on this and then we talk again:
In the KH series there are a lot of complex reasons why someone can use a keyblade, but basically you need a “heart” to be able to wield one. So strictly speaking, they are being influenced by Sora. At the present I can’t say more than that, since it would go into whether or not Roxas has a heart. And there is also a part that has to do with Xehanort’s memories (Ho ho, bigger allusions to BBS are not possible). This time there were connections to the Kingdom Hearts I secret movie, and the time will come when this will have a clear connection as well. You’ll just have to ask me then.

The allusions to BBS and Roxas having a heart (=> Ven's) are jumping the reader into the eyes. It doesn't take much combining to come to the conclusion which, as I can only stress again, was confirmed in the BBS Ultimania later on.
Nomura is just sailing around the harbor instead of coming in because he wanted to avoid spoilering stuff, but with our current knowledge the connections can be made easier than slip on a banana peel.
Him making these subtle and hidden foreshadowing hints isn't new. ;)

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards

I'll agree with all of the comments about them being OP, why not impliment them differently? Turn drive forms into say, a skill tree of sorts? Make them balanced enough so that each has pros and cons. But leave them open enough that you could switch at will. So say a valor form skill tree would make Sora more useful for physical attacks but he severly suffers for magic, throught the whole game if you stuck with that. Wisdom would suffer attack, master would be a more acrobatic, so doging, and final's skill tree... well... maybe more of a special attack based skill tree. So Sora would have maybe normal attack and magic, and he can then use more of a special move set that is limited to some sort of bar, like say the focus bar from BBS. That way it turns the game into more of an rpg than a button masher. You balance out the drive forms, turn them into something more than a game ender, and as you follow this skill tree you unlock the abilities that go along with them and ultimately your appearance could change. So once you max out, you have the red electricity for valor etc etc.

Riku/Sora-Rule

As far as the command styles go, I liked them, but I wanna see them combined with drive forms, clothes change, possible duel wield, different ways of maneuvering ( such as running faster, gliding across the floor like wisdom form, the teleporting of ghost drive in BBS, etc lol) and the big finisher moves. Anyone agree? In addition, maybe an extension of the d-links. Where linking with an ally changes clothes to be similar in style to that character and gives completely new abilities, unlike how the abilities in BBS were usually different names of abilities already in the game.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
As far as the command styles go, I liked them, but I wanna see them combined with drive forms, clothes change, possible duel wield, different ways of maneuvering ( such as running faster, gliding across the floor like wisdom form, the teleporting of ghost drive in BBS, etc lol) and the big finisher moves. Anyone agree? In addition, maybe an extension of the d-links. Where linking with an ally changes clothes to be similar in style to that character and gives completely new abilities, unlike how the abilities in BBS were usually different names of abilities already in the game.

I never used the D-links. I feel they were pointless. None of the attacks were strong enough for me to ever use during a boss battle. The only time I ever used them was when I was in deep trouble and need health.

Riku/Sora-Rule

I never used the D-links. I feel they were pointless. None of the attacks were strong enough for me to ever use during a boss battle. The only time I ever used them was when I was in deep trouble and need health.

Like I said, the attacks with d-links, aside from the finishing move, we're moves already in the game. Maybe if they upgraded it. For instance, if u d-link with beast, maybe u wear a purple cape like beast, maybe then into a little one yourself. A roar attack,a stomp attack that creates a shockwave, etc. so in a way it combines the d-link with the drive forms, so a combo of drive forms and d-links, and drive forms and Command styles would be something interesting

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
I'd much rather have Drive forms than the D-link. The Drive forms are an excellent idea, they just need to be enhanced so they don't lose to linearity. They should keep Valor for Goofy, Wisdom for Donald, Master/Final for both D&G, but then add a form where it requires Riku and one that requires Mickey, and the two together. Then that way maybe something epic could happen since both kingdom keys and the way to the dawn are all being synched.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
If Ventus is directly referred to by name or not is completely irrelevant,
My point was that he's not referred to with any significance, not even by name, in this interview. He's simply irrelevant to this entire issue.

he is already referred to in this interview
Once, not by name and with absolutely no relevance to the question at hand. You're overplaying his significance by making it seem as though he's a concentrated topic in the interview. He isn't. One question pertains to him, and only one. Kairi is more consequential to the questions in this interview.

and all these things are subtle foreshadowing and BBS's plot was thought up before Days.
But BBS came out after Days, so the Ultimania for Days wouldn't include any spoilers for BBS.

"It" in this case refers to the object "keyblade"
Again, that's not how grammar works. "Xion's Keyblade" is not two separate concepts, it's only two separate words. "Xion's Keyblade" is constructed as a possessive noun and the item which corresponds to it. You can't separate the two and apply the pronoun to one as that would render the possessiveness of the term meaningless. If Nomura had said, "It isn't that Roxas had physically inherited a Keyblade..." OR had said, "...but more that Xion had awakened a Keyblade within Roxas..." you would be correct. However, grammar doesn't allow for the kind of loose play you're advocating here.

not "Xion's" keyblade because Xion never had a keyblade
Then why does Nomura repeatedly refer to Xion's Keyblade?

she only sapped power from Sora through Roxas and copied Sora's keyblade.
Xion did have a Keyblade. It was a fake and a copy, but it was still a Keyblade that was able to extract Hearts from Heartless and function in precisely the same way as Sora's. She and Ven fought side by side, each with their own Keyblades. Hers isn't a proper Keyblade in that it didn't occur naturally to her, but it did exist (to an extent) and was entirely viable for dual-wielding once she was absorbed by Roxas.

You have read the other confirmation, haven't you? It is confirmed that the two keyblades in play are Sora's and Ven's, there aren't more, just these two.
The other confirmation is in reference to the common ability of Roxas and Sora to dual-wield. Sora doesn't dual-wield because of Xion and Roxas only dual-wielded with Xion's Keyblade that one time; in the greater continuity of the series, Roxas and Sora both dual-wield because of Ven's Heart. That doesn't in any way negate an exception to the rule, which Nomura had already addressed in the Days Ultimania, so it would be pointless to clarify that again.

You read the whole thing false, Nomura says that there is a small part of Xion remaining in Roxas, not in a keyblade.
I didn't say that, or at least, what I meant was that the Keyblade was an indication of her ongoing presence: an aspect of it.

The keyblade Roxas tosses to Riku at Xion's behalf (from within him, she shortly takes control of his arm) is Sora's, that's also the reason Riku can use it without problems against Roxas.
The reason he can use it without it disobeying him is because it's Xion's and she willed it to go to Riku. Just as Captain Jack can hold the Keyblade as long as Sora allows him to and anyone can use a Keyblade handed or physically gifted to them by someone else (Kairi, Aqua), the Keyblade obeys its chosen master first and foremost but can be used by others. Furthermore, Sora's Keyblade is no more Riku's than Xion's or Ven's would be after Sora reclaimed it in Hollow Bastion. That being said, even if it was Xion's, that would mean it was just a copy of Sora's so it makes little difference to your argument one way or the other.

The name of the keyblade is suggested to have something to do with Xion, not the blade itself, which is true since Oblivion => forgetting stuff and in japanese there's also the meaning of that flower which name I sadly forgot.
Which would only further indicate a connection with Xion. It's not solid proof that it's her Keyblade, but taken in context with his other statements, it's evidence to the likelihood of that scenario.

Ven's blade is the Oathkeeper which Roxas kept for himself.
The Oathkeeper has nothing to do with Ven. The Oathkeeper is symbolic of Sora's memories of Kairi, which is why Roxas would be wielding it along with the Oblivion, which is symbolic of Sora's memories of Riku. For Roxas, the Keyblades are both relative to Xion (Xion is constructed from Sora's memories of Kairi, and the Oblivion is implicit of her erasure from the Worlds). Furthermore, if the Keyblade isn't Xion's, why did memories of her flood into Riku the moment he grasped it?

Roxas awakening two different keyblades only for one fight in KH2 is pure speculation and nowhere is this hinted or even reasonable.
It's not remotely unreasonable. It's exactly what he did, even by your argument. If he was wielding a Keyblade constructed of data prior to that battle, then his awakening of Sora's and Ven's Keyblades during the Axel confrontation is just that. The awakening of two different Keyblades. I don't understand your point here.

Roxas lost his complete wielding abilities in the virtual Twilight Town because Naminé and DiZ brainwashed him.
Yes.

The single keyblade he used through the seven days until he regained his memories was a data-one programmed by DiZ.
OK...

When he got his memories back he also regained access to both keyblades he had awakened since he defeated Xion and all powers she sapped where returned to him, Sora's and Ven's keyblades.
But Roxas only gained all of his memories back during the fight with Axel. Indeed, the only memories he had to regain were those of his time in the Organization. Roxas had no memories when he was born, and he hadn't forgotten anything prior to or directly after Xion's defeat, except for Xion herself, after the fact. When she was absorbed into him, he was able to access his ability to synch wield, yes, but he hadn't awakened Ven's Heart yet (we still don't even know how he managed to access Ven's Heart in KH2, since awakening it should have filled him and probably Sora with memories of Ven). The idea that he did it twice, when one of the scenarios has a much more obvious alternate solution, is really not as reasonable as you're insisting it is.

Nomura didn't reveal it casually, he camouflaged it as he normally does.
That's pretty unbelievable. This is like me saying, "I like the way the sky looks, it's pretty," then you saying, "Yeah, the sky's really pretty," and me saying, "No, I was talking about Adele's voice, I just prefaced my sentence with the sky and failed to clarify that I was speaking about Adele's voice so you wouldn't know that's what I meant." That isn't camouflaging a statement, it's a complete misdirection of wording which is neither practical for the purpose you're claiming it is nor characteristic of Nomura's particular form of parable in any way.

This interview is already littered with allusions for BBS (whose story, as I said earlier, was thought up by Nomura before Days),
The fact that BBS's story was conceptualized prior to Days's is simply not relevant. It hadn't been told yet and nothing in the interview was going to give away the story for that reason alone. Also, characterizing the Days Ultimania interview as being "littered" with references to BBS is a huge stretch. They literally only mention Ven one time, and it isn't by name. That's the extent of it.

like the Xigbar-Ven connection or Xemnas's obsession with the Chamber of Waking.
Neither of which have anything to do with which Keyblades Roxas wielded. The Chamber of Waking doesn't even have anything to do with BBS except that Aqua's armor was there. It never appears in BBS, is never referenced in BBS and doesn't have any impact on BBS's storyline whatsoever. It's prominent in KH2 and Days, however, and is therefore perfectly valid material to cover in an interview for Days.

Combine the allusions this with the later interviews which confirm stuff you get the true meaning of it all.
Again, none of the BBS allusions in the Days Ultimania interview have anything to do with Roxas's Keyblades.

Building in Xion's fake only overcomplicates things and also doesn't make any sense because Xion's blade was never real.
It does not, in any way, overcomplicate things. Roxas being able to use Xion's Keyblade after absorbing her is actually far less vague in its linearity than him randomly awakening a second Keyblade from a Heart neither he nor the player even knows he has a connection with. Your argument entails that you have to read several different interviews and heavily interpret, out of context, cryptic statements from the series' creator. My argument entails playing the video game. Which concept is more complicated, again?

It functioned but only when she sapped power from Roxas (and by extension from Sora).
Roxas was sustaining her at the end of Days. She was fading, but it was Roxas's insistence upon keeping her memories alive which allowed her to continue to influence his actions and communicate with Riku. As long as she was around, her Keyblade was likely to be around as well. Your insistence that she didn't have a Keyblade is a fallacy; her Keyblade was a fake and a copy, but she still had one. Nothing that Nomura has said indicates that Xion did not have a Keyblade: all he has ever stated is that it was a copy, but that doesn't mean it isn't a Keyblade which can be used in precisely the same manner as any original. It relied on her existence, yes, as well as on her connection with Sora and Roxas, in particular; her connection with Roxas remained during his battle with Riku, so her Keyblade would still have been around.

In the end, it was all Sora's keyblade which power got divided between Roxas and Xion.
We agree on this point, but it doesn't preclude them both from being wielded at the same time (as we saw, in game, they were both wielded at the same time by Roxas and Xion independently).

The allusions to BBS and Roxas having a heart (=> Ven's) are jumping the reader into the eyes.
You're speaking from the perspective of having already experienced BBS's story and the confirmation of Ven's relation to Sora and Roxas. At the time this was released, there was no clear way of knowing what all of that meant or if it would be addressed by BBS or another game. Allusions do not constitute answers, much less contradict concrete answers. You're doing a lot of work to reinterpret a very simple statement which doesn't even contradict the over-arching vision of the story: Sora has his Keyblade and Ven's, not Xion's (which no longer exists).

It doesn't take much combining to come to the conclusion which, as I can only stress again, was confirmed in the BBS Ultimania later on.
And which I clarified as being limited to the common factor. In fact, let me take your logic and apply it to that confirmatory quote.

Why can Roxas dual-wield?
A: Because he can use both Sora’s and Ventus keyblades.
OK, so clearly we have a sentence here which uses a pronoun device that indicates Roxas can use both Sora's and Ventus's Keyblades (i.e. "he can use both..."). However, I'm going to insist that the "he" in this sentence is referring to King Mickey. Do you see why that doesn't work? The use of the pronoun "he" is very, very clearly prefaced by the name of the character Roxas. In the same way, the use of the word "it" in Nomura's quote is very, very clearly prefaced by the term "Xion's Keyblade." If you can accept that the "he" in this sentence is referring to Roxas, you must accept that the "it" in the quote is referring to "Xion's Keyblade". There is no room for interpretation: it's a basic rule of grammar.

Nomura is just sailing around the harbor instead of coming in because he wanted to avoid spoilering stuff, but with our current knowledge the connections can be made easier than slip on a banana peel.
Him making these subtle and hidden foreshadowing hints isn't new. ;)
Nomura can be very secretive and cryptic in his foreshadowing, no doubt, but this simply isn't a case of that. He's being entirely direct in this statement. There is nothing to indicate that he isn't, other than a deliberate bending of grammar and a willful denial of the actual meaning behind other statements he has made. The problem with taking quotes from different interviews is that you risk responding to them without a sense of context, and that's important to maintain. Again, there is no reason Roxas wielding Ven's Keyblade in KH2 precludes him from wielding Xion's in Days. It doesn't interfere with the storytelling, it doesn't complicate anything, and above all, it has been outright confirmed by Nomura.

Riku/Sora-Rule

alexis.anagram......I'm sry for getting into this whole debate, this wasn't what I intended for this thread. Just take a breath hahahahaha. Can we just keep on topic? Fact is, people will debate forever on things, and it looks like this one CAN go on forever lol. Can we keep this a place for fan opinions and new ideas based on the question in the first post?

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
alexis.anagram......I'm sry for getting into this whole debate, this wasn't what I intended for this thread. Just take a breath hahahahaha. Can we just keep on topic? Fact is, people will debate forever on things, and it looks like this one CAN go on forever lol. Can we keep this a place for fan opinions and new ideas based on the question in the first post?
BUT BUT BUT. I'm right and he's wrong! D: D: D:
Honestly, this isn't the first time Sephy and I have gotten involved in a debate with each other. And yes, it may go on forever, but I'm generally willing to let it end wherever it does.

I'm still basically wondering why dual-wielding wouldn't be an option in DDD, however.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
BUT BUT BUT. I'm right and he's wrong! D: D: D:
Honestly, this isn't the first time Sephy and I have gotten involved in a debate with each other. And yes, it may go on forever, but I'm generally willing to let it end wherever it does.

I'm still basically wondering why dual-wielding wouldn't be an option in DDD, however.

Maybe we should just look outside of in-game explanations? Not including it could be a response to backlash about how overpowered dual-wielding (in combination with other Drive Forms abilities) was.

It wouldn't be the first thing that doesn't get an in-game explanation anyway (not just talking about KH here)

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Maybe we should just look outside of in-game explanations? Not including it could be a response to backlash about how overpowered dual-wielding (in combination with other Drive Forms abilities) was.
You're right that it wouldn't be alone in its lack of exposition, but it does appear to be a relevant plot point. It's a bit lazy of Nomura to simply evade the matter altogether (if that's his intention). I realize that he feels compelled to strip every character of their abilities each game in order to incorporate some kind of level-up motif, but I would prefer that not happen at the expense of the storyline. :x

That being said, in my opinion, I actually feel Drive forms and the like should be extremely powerful, given their nature (difficulty has never been a real factor in my primary enjoyment of a game, frankly). However, I think they should be a good deal more demanding to activate if they're ever reintroduced, perhaps even restricted pragmatically (for instance, the tokens necessary to achieve Drive might only appear during boss battles, something like that). Then again, I would be perfectly happy if they were reformatted into more of a Command-Style gaming mechanic, as I thought the BBS Command-Styles were immense fun and intriguingly prototypical when viewed in continuity.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
It is a relevant plot point, you're right. So how about this: what if Yen Sid locked it for the time being (assuming he knows about it which I imagine he probably does). He wants Sora to start over and get proper training, I doubt dual-wielding is considered that.
A reasonable assumption in my opinion.

Totally agree on the Drive forms getting incorporated in Command Styles, but I've mentioned that already :3

Having them boss only wouldn't be fun though.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
It is a relevant plot point, you're right. So how about this: what if Yen Sid locked it for the time being (assuming he knows about it which I imagine he probably does). He wants Sora to start over and get proper training, I doubt dual-wielding is considered that.
A reasonable assumption in my opinion.
Fine by me. I just want it to be given a resolution. Any of the myriad of options available will do.
The weird thing is, while Yen Sid almost certainly knows about Sora's dual-wielding, he doesn't appear to be certain that Ven's Heart is residing inside Sora (although he and Mickey are considering the possibility). To me, that would seem the logical assumption, since two hearts are required to dual-wield. Or, maybe that's the reason why he suspects Sora is harboring Ven's Heart.

Totally agree on the Drive forms getting incorporated in Command Styles, but I've mentioned that already :3
Yes, I was agreeing with you because I think it's a marvelous idea. :3

Having them boss only wouldn't be fun though.
Yeah, probably not. Just a thought. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back