• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How do you feel about this gen's games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
we may have better graphics now, but people are losing their ability to write original story content.
bout it.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Wow, awesome. Please don't use the word retarded, it's actually offensive to some. Believe it or not.

eat my jorts mouthbreather

What I meant is that this generation is more mature than last year's.

For the ps2, the hits, the classics were Sly, Jak, Ratchet, Spyro, Ico. They are all E+ games

Xbox had Blinx, Voodo Vince, and other such platformers. Games were more colorful, and less dark and brooding.

Haha what those are just a small few of the "classics" of the ps2 library and nowhere near indicative of that generation's "maturity"

we may have better graphics now, but people are losing their ability to write original story content.
bout it.

as if video games were the pinnacle of storytelling before

Macabre

Gold Member
For the ps2, the hits, the classics were Sly, Jak, Ratchet, Spyro, Ico. They are all E+ games

Huh, let's see... Devil May Cry, God of War, FFX, FFXII, MGS2, MGS3, Prince of Persia trilogy, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas.

Those are some other PS2 classics and are M-rated(With the exception of the FF games and PoP: Sands of Time, which are rated T).

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
They only thing I hate about this gen is the mass overload of generic overhyped FPS's

^this also all the shovelware for wii, it would be just sitting their just gathering dust if it wasnt for all the Gamecube games I missed.

Darkwing_Duck

The games are good and enjoyable, but I feel like there is a noticeable lack in originality.

Arkaria

I personally love a lot of games from the last generation, but at the same time a lot of the new games they're coming out with make my panties wet. Example: Red Dead Redemption. I watched the trailer for that game, and that trailer alone made me suddenly want to run out and buy a PS3. The graphics, the horses, the scenery, the nature, the gun fights, the weather. All of it made the game very aesthetically pleasing :3 that's a major thing I look for in games, and it's why I love sandbox style games so much. I like to be able to play the game, but take some time away from the story to just run around, explore, and check out the landscape. That's another reason why I loved SotC. There's this one cliff that overlooks that big open southern grassland area at the bottom of the map. I love sitting up there :) you can see that little door to the final boss from up there too. The cave to get to the gecko colossus was beautiful too! And my favorite is the flying bird! Even Kingdom Hearts has nice scenery in some levels. If you go all the way to the top platform of the Lift Stop in HB and look up, it's all just beautiful stained glass windows and sparkles and sunlight and ahhh!! *____*

I digress. The point I'm trying and failing badly at making is that while this generation has some amazing games with amazing graphics, last generation did too!

And let's be honest, as far as old old old generation games go, Pokemon Red/Blue, Bomberman, and Kirby's Dreamland are fukcing oldschool. You better tie a pillow to your butt when you play those games, cuz the nostalgia will knock you on your ass.

D

Dexter

bout it.

What?

Have you ever played Bioshock? One of the best plot twists/stories in gaming history if you ask me.

Last gen was full of simple stories. They weren't to convoluted, they were easy to understand, in a way they were somewhat basic. Similar to Kingdom Hearts if you ask me. It had a simple story, a story of a boy searching for his friends. Many games had a similar, simple arch as that.

I can tell you so many games this gen that have good stories. Hell, Uncharted alone gave me this blockbuster action-indiana jones- experience that I've NEVER been able to experience on the last gen consoles.

On top of that it's only 2010. The ps3, and presumbly 360 is only half way through there console lives. Many good games like L.A Noire, The Last Guardian, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, RAGE, Uncharted 3, Infinite, Guillermo Del Torro new Lovecraft RPG, AGENT, DOOM 4, and many more titles are due in the next 2 years. We've only seen the beginning of writing in games, I'm sure we're near the cusp of greatness.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
blah blah blah
Yes, we're seeing gaming emerge as a highly-appreciable story-telling medium, but at the same time we've seen so much paper thin crap being churned out and becoming immensely popular, case in point being CoD games. Games like Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock and more with great stories get good reviews but go relatively unnoticed in the face of such repetitive and bland titles like the CoD games. This generation has had some of the best stories in gaming yet, but this will also be the generation remembered for the most forgetful things because the notable games don't go noticed enough.

D

Dexter

Yes, we're seeing gaming emerge as a highly-appreciable story-telling medium, but at the same time we've seen so much paper thin crap being churned out and becoming immensely popular, case in point being CoD games. Games like Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock and more with great stories get good reviews but go relatively unnoticed in the face of such repetitive and bland titles like the CoD games. This generation has had some of the best stories in gaming yet, but this will also be the generation remembered for the most forgetful things because the notable games don't go noticed enough.

I agree, but BlackOPs was actually pretty good, in terms of your average COD story. It was incredibly cinematic.

Also how had Bioshock, or Mass Effect gone unnoticed? Bioshock alone sold 4,000,000 copies, which equals around $16,000,000 in revenue. Mass Effect has also sold incredibly well. Uncharted 2 was one of the best selling games in 09.

Heavy Rain has sold 3 million units, and is on pace to sell 4 million by years end.

So games that are story driven are rarely ignored, if done well.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
What's most irritating to me about games recently is that it's like no one wants to take creative risks because they fear not getting enough sales. It's understandable, but the industry will collapse upon itself if it continues to stop driving innovation.

I mean you don't see games with interesting concepts like this anymore :(
Spoiler Spoiler Show

D

Dexter

What's most irritating to me about games recently is that it's like no one wants to take creative risks because they fear not getting enough sales. It's understandable, but the industry will collapse upon itself if it continues to stop driving innovation.

I mean you don't see games with interesting concepts like this anymore :(
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Can't see the image, but once again I disagree.

Heavy Rain in itself was a pretty big risk. Fahrenheit hardly amazed the gaming world, and had pretty weak sales overall. Quantic Dreams could've done something generic, but instead made Heavy Rain, which I'm very grateful for. Vanquished is also pretty unique in terms of it's mechanics.

The XBLA, and PSN feature some unique games as well.

In the end I could care less about innovation, or uniqueness. Bioshock or Uncharted, or hell even Red Dead Redemption is hardly unique. But it's the execution that makes me a rabid fan. The voice acting, the gameplay, the atmosphere, the story, the music, everything.

When a game can do that, well, something SPECIAL is created.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
i find the copious amounts of gifs in dogen's sig more entertaining than this thread

actually this applies to most threads because they're actually really amusing

but if you didn't get what i was trying to say, this thread is shitty.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
The image was a picture of the game Sheep Raider for PS1.

It was a Looney Toons game where you played as Ralph Wolf, a coyote who is trying to steal sheep away from Sam Wolf-Dog.
The entire game was puzzle-based in which you used different objects, paths, and tricks to sneak past Sam and steal a sheep, and every level got harder.

You don't see that kind of whacky level design and intuitive game concept on console games anymore.

Thankfully there have been indie developers that have tried some interesting things, like Fat Princess and Flower and Pixel Junk Shooter, but besides indie games, big-budget console developers just are NOT taking enough creative innovation with their games.

If you get games like Naughty Bear that could have been something new or whatever, they're usually of pitiful quality and don't sell well.

So it's a dead-end road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back