• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I know its been mentioned before buuut... would it not be *possible* to make a decent KH film

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdistan

1. if it was cgi
  2. if it was not a retelling of ANY point of the game series
  3. if Nolan directed
  4. if it was a prequel to the whole series, based on The Keyblade War
  5. if it was daarrrrrrk and not childish but DID include Disney charecters in a much more adult fashion
  6. if they didnt try to shoehorn in references to the main game series plot
i was thinking, if it was a movie based in the kh universe, but could stand independent on its own. a war movie a la lord of the rings(thats what my imagination throws around). god i can just imagine the trailer as I type, dramatic music and two sides charging towards each other weilding keyblades (with warcries). ok forget the fact that it would probably be terrible, this thread is not about if it SHOULD be made, but if it WAS made how should it be and what should it be based upon.

I have some ideas but would love to see some of yours. I'm sure we could come up with something half decent :)

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
[*]if it was cgi

Only route to go if there was a KH film.
Though, I wouldn't want it in the art style of that of Another Side/Another Story and Birth By Sleep.... I'd like it to remain closer looking to that of what in-game cutscenes look like, just much, much for prettier.

[*]if it was not a retelling of ANY point of the game series

Yep.

[*]if Nolan directed

Well, uh, that'd be sweet.
But it'd never happen.
Because what.
Nomura would direct.

[*]if it was a prequel to the whole series, based on The Keyblade War

Anything based during TKW wouldn't add much to the series overall plot. If it was standalone, I guess, but KH will probably never be fully standalone.

[*]if it was daarrrrrrk and not childish but DID include Disney charecters in a much more adult fashion

Nope. Nope. Nope.

[*]if they didnt try to shoehorn in references to the main game series plot

I don't see how that'd even be possible.

i was thinking, if it was a movie based in the kh universe, but could stand independent on its own. a war movie a la lord of the rings(thats what my imagination throws around). god i can just imagine the trailer as I type, dramatic music and two sides charging towards each other weilding keyblades (with warcries). ok forget the fact that it would probably be terrible, this thread is not about if it SHOULD be made, but if it WAS made how should it be and what should it be based upon.

I have some ideas but would love to see some of yours. I'm sure we could come up with something half decent :)

You have okay ideas, but none that I could see SE ever pulling off.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Nope, I'm a staunch advocate of no-KH film happening. I just can't see it, no matter what. Even if it wasn't a direct retelling of any point in the series, how can you fit any person going through so many Disney worlds in all less than 2 hours with an introduction to the characters, setting, plot, and big final battle with a definitive conclusion. The KH manga pushes it to its limits and needs roughly 3 books just to cover a game and even then they pretty much skip every world except a few and rushes through those worlds for the most part. In a movie, would they just show montages of them beating up different Disney villains or seeing different Disney characters and just expect the viewer to believe nothing important happened in those parts in time. If they try to belittle the Disney aspect by doing such a thing, then the movie would just be unfaithful and bad and if they do put in a good storyline into the worlds they do include, the movie would be too long.

If the movie was about the keyblade war, don't get me wrong, I've always been curious about it, but I don't think you could sum up such an epic war in a few hours (Lord of the Rings had numerous films, all of which were quite long too boot).

Kurdistan

I would not mind it not being a central part of the main story, as long as it is decent, it would be cool if after the main story has finished(the xehanort saga) we get a story depicting the Keyblade War. Nolan could have some sort of supporting role in production(like Man of Steel) becuase he totally re-invisioned the Batman story and made it one of the best trilogies of all time(even if the last one was a bit dissapointing). who thought batman would ever become a film with the quality of the Nolan series after we got Arnold Swartzeneger as the bad guy in the last one.

Although you are right when you say it would never happen, but hey, we can dream right?

Nope, I'm a staunch advocate of no-KH film happening. I just can't see it, no matter what. Even if it wasn't a direct retelling of any point in the series, how can you fit any person going through so many Disney worlds in all less than 2 hours with an introduction to the characters, setting, plot, and big final battle with a definitive conclusion. The KH manga pushes it to its limits and needs roughly 3 books just to cover a game and even then they pretty much skip every world except a few and rushes through those worlds for the most part. In a movie, would they just show montages of them beating up different Disney villains or seeing different Disney characters and just expect the viewer to believe nothing important happened in those parts in time. If they try to belittle the Disney aspect by doing such a thing, then the movie would just be unfaithful and bad and if they do put in a good storyline into the worlds they do include, the movie would be too long.

If the movie was about the keyblade war, don't get me wrong, I've always been curious about it, but I don't think you could sum up such an epic war in a few hours (Lord of the Rings had numerous films, all of which were quite long too boot).

If any KH film had that format(going through different disney world locking Keyholes) I probably not even bother watching it, probably.

doortolight

Awards
no way no how could they make it a movie, (unless they took a small part of the game and kind of made it much larger and more important mayyyyybeeee)

what they probably could do is turn it into an anime, with alot of eps. the story could be properly done

Love Machine

strut strut strut
If there had to be one, they would need new characters completely with occasional cameos.

But I'm against it nonetheless.

Walkway

I would only ever approve of a KH film if it were done in traditional 2D disney animation.

That said it's still kind of a ridiculous concept but hey, I'd buy a movie ticket if Noms was crazy enough to want to make it happen.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards
Doubt it. So much shit goes on in the series that it would be impossible to condense the entire plot of one game into a movie.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
It's not impossible, but more incredibly unlikely.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
  1. if it was cgi

1. That's the only way they would do it. I don't see anyone ever attempting to make it live action :/

1. if it was not a retelling of ANY point of the game series

1. Yeah, that'd be the best way I think. Then you wouldn't have the book-to-movie syndrome where people complain about the tiniest details being missed in the movie adaptations.

1. if Nolan directed

1. HECK. NO. There would be a monologue every 5 minutes and he'd try to make the whole thing look "realistic."

1. if it was a prequel to the whole series, based on The Keyblade War

1. Maybe.

1. if it was daarrrrrrk and not childish but DID include Disney charecters in a much more adult fashion

1. Ha ha ha ha ha ha... NOPE.

1. if they didnt try to shoehorn in references to the main game series plot

I sort of see it as an impossibility, but eh.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Disney will never attempt to make their characters directed at adults, or in an adult fashion. They will always target children/teens, and is kind of holding Kingdom Hearts back a tad bit.

sonickenshin

Awards
The only way a Kingdom Hearts movie would work is if they present it in a way that not even the games could portray, and that it's a stand-alone story....and you know...design it as a MOVIE and not a 100 minute FMV cutscene (hi Advent Children).

Key Wielder

Awards
Disney characters =/= childish, but that is for another thread.

I think that a movie about the Keyblade War might be one of the only ways that a KH movie would really work; anything that continued the series and dealt with fighting massive amounts of Heartless probably wouldn't do so well for obvious reasons. However, Nolan instead of Nomura...? Even if it were possible, I wouldn't want that to happen.

Some series are more difficult than others to make movies for, and KH seems to be one of them. Seeing that the majority of each game is already based heavily on movies to begin with (the Disney worlds), KH just works better as a game.

kupo1121

Awards
HECK. NO. There would be a monologue every 5 minutes and he'd try to make the whole thing look "realistic."

Oh yeah lol, I completely forgot about that whole "realistic thing." In Batman, he refused to use any villain that was too unrealistic as he wanted the movie to seem more like it could happen in everyday life or something like that (aka no Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Croc, etc.) so in a KH movie he would essentially replace all Disney characters with humans that acted like them and had the same name <_<

Disney will never attempt to make their characters directed at adults, or in an adult fashion.

Pirates of the Caribbean...

doortolight

Awards
if they made it into a movie, the'd end up with the same problem the db evolution movie had

everybody so eager for it, but once seen people would hate it and it would be kicked out of theaters

kupo1121

Awards
if they made it into a movie, the'd end up with the same problem the db evolution movie had

everybody so eager for it, but once seen people would hate it and it would be kicked out of theaters

I think that is a bit unfair considering the DB movie cast a white guy as Goku and has a terrible story and script. SE can write one heck of a story for a movie (refer to Advent Children) so I doubt it would get that bad <_<

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I think it's possible to make a decent KH movie taking most of the stuff you've mentioned into consideration.

CGI? I'm band wagoning, but yeah, that's the best way to go.

Not a retelling? That is also probably the best way to go since KH is something that wouldn't adapt well directly to film.

Nolan? ...why?

A prequel/about the Keyblade War? It could work. If I recall right, the Keyblade War took place before the worlds were split to it removes the concept of traveling among worlds that might be jarring in a film.

Dark? *looks back at Nolan* I think I understand better what you're trying to get at. KH isn't meant to be particularly dark. For the most part it's whimsical and magical and you can have something that appeals to both children and adults (I respect a work that can successfully find a balance) or have something mostly aimed at children but not be "childish" (see: some Miyazaki films). Something that's aimed at children and something that's childish are two different things.

Reference other things from the series? Well that would depend on what the movie was about and how said elements are incorporated. If it's a prequel as far back as the Keyblade War there's no way they can reference things from the current timeline unless it's meant to be an easter egg for fans.

Eternal Dream

The Messenger
Awards
About the only way I could see a movie working would be if, like others have said, it's about the Keyblade War. And who says Kingdom Hearts doesn't have its dark aspects? It trends toward whimsy, sure, but there are some pretty serious topics that show up in there too, despite the regular dose of cheese. The only problem in my opinion is that I'm leery of game to movie or book to movie types, because even if you take the Keyblade War aspect and flesh it out, there's always the chance of it getting real messed up, even with Square writing and animating it. Smaller with them doing it, sure, but you always run the risk of the game/movie/book not living up to the hype.

Maybe the movie should just stay as a pipe dream...

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Some of my criteria for a KH movie:

-I'd rather have Disney make it. Certain movie types should only be developed by certain people. I don't care how good of a director Nolan is, that doesn't mean he's good at directing every type of movie.

-2D Disney-styled animation. That's just me being picky.

-New plot altogether. No revision of KH1, KH1+2, or even a gap in the series that has yet to be explained. I personally feel that any part of KH's plot wouldn't transition well to the big screen. I don't care how much of the series Disney would end up butchering, whatever it takes to make a quality movie.

-Rated G or PG. Not only does "dark/edgy" usually end up being lame, but part of the reason why KH's themes are touching is because anyone can understand them. That goes for a good number of quality Disney movies, as well.

Basically, I want a KH movie meant for the mainstream audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back