• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts III rumors from Surfer Girl

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Do you believe Surfer Girl?

• Yes

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 19 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

d_fallen_1

There is no way Square would sit down and chat with this lier.

A: KHIII, if it is coming out. is definitely coming to the Wii, they need the game's demographics (which lean a bit younger than your average SquareEnix fanboy) to purchase the title.

I read no more than that. That right there just prove the entire thing is BULL. You got to be an idiot to believe this.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
I don't think you're taking into account the size of the projects, though. Versus, KHII, and KHIII would be massive projects compared to CoM and 358/2 Days - GBA/DS handheld games, which seem to take less time to make - along with Re:CoM and Final Mix - both based on existing games. Even Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep probably aren't as big as those two (though they're a good deal bigger than the non-PSP handheld games). FFXIII was also in very early stages before KHII was finished, so that might have been a factor, too.

Actually that was moreso my main point. Because 358/2, Coded, and Birth By Sleep are all 'small' projects that will be completed within a year, plus the fact that he has 3 separate teams working on all 3 games, along with 3 separate co-directors on each project, if the projects are small and are to be wrapped up by years ends, then why would it be unreasonable to conceive that Nomura is already in the works for what he's doing for KH3

it's too much work to do those two particular games at once and that he's using the experience from Versus towards KHIII (and really, I'd be hard-pressed to figure out anything he could learn from Versus that would translate well to Wii, considering the differences in the two consoles)

My point wasn't actually that they've assembled a team and are already coding and making the game, but that at this point with all the story building and thought-processes being dealt with the new games, Nomura and Square Enix must already have many ideas and things about the project decided. The term "in production" doesn't necessarily mean they're actively making the game, but that the base for the title like story ideas, gameplay, controls, the platform it should be developed, and such are being prepared for it

How could they have gotten so far and not have figured out how to tell the story yet? o.o

358/2 days is quite far in development (with in-game gameplay footage already), and Nomura said that even at that point they don't know how, or if, they are going to use some of the DS's features, or what they are going to use with the bottom-screen

He even said with Birth By Sleep, that the scans we have of the game have a command menu that isn't even in the game anymore, because the creative process took it in a different direction

Many things change about a project, even when they are far along in development

And that quote says the they don't quite know specifically how it's going to end up, so I mean at that point they already know that it's going to be episodic, with Terra Aqua and Ven having separate stories and eventually meeting up, but he said that the specifics of how they're going to make it work aren't decided. So like, they weren't sure if it goes in a scripted fashion from you playing Terra->Ven->Aqua, or say if you get to choose who to play in what order, or if certain choices you make decide in what order you play them, etc.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Actually that was my entire point. Because 358/2, Coded, and Birth By Sleep are all 'small' projects that will be completed within a year, plus the fact that he has 3 separate teams working on all 3 games, along with 3 separate co-directors on each project, if the projects are small and are to be wrapped up by years ends, then why would it be unreasonable to conceive that Nomura is already in the works for what he's doing for KH3

It seems more reasonable to me to conceive that he might start with that after finishing with the current three titles. Like you say later, they're still working on some of the main systems of 358/2 Days - I'd think it would make more sense to have that settled first.

Though I could definitely imagine that they'd be thinking of concepts and such already. They've probably been doing some of that since KHII, though, considering the scene with the letter.

My point wasn't actually that they've assembled a team and are already coding and making the game, but that at this point with all the story building and thought-processes being dealt with the new games, Nomura and Square Enix must already have many ideas and things about the project decided. The term "in production" doesn't necessarily mean they're actively making the game, but that the base for the title like story ideas, gameplay, controls, the platform it should be developed, and such are being prepared for it

Well, yeah, they could be making some of those base ideas - story ideas, in particular, seem like the kind of thing that could come up even without beginning the project yet. But the quote about concentrating on Versus suggests that the gameplay and controls aspects for KHIII aren't being worked on - they're waitint until they have the experience with Versus first so they could use that for the KH systems.

Besides, you're defining production too broadly, I think. I couldn't find a guide like this for games, but movies seem to be a good analogue:
Filmmaking consists of five main stages:

* Development. The script is written and drafted into a workable blueprint for a film.
* Pre-production. Preparations are made for the shoot, in which cast and crew are hired, locations are selected, and sets are built.
* Production. The raw elements for the finished film are recorded.
* Post-production. The film is edited, sound effects, music and any computer effects are added, and the film is completed.
* Sales and distribution. The film is picked up by a distributor and reaches its audience.
From Wiki

What you're thinking of sounds more like development than production or even pre-production. The game equivalent to production would probably involve coding the main game and making cutscenes, not creating the "blueprint" for the systems (while pre-production would involve coding the underlying systems and creating the models).

And if we define production in these terms, it's actually near-impossible for KHIII to be in production - the KH team is working on Versus, and unlike Nomura, I don't get the impression that the teams do so much multi-tasking. There would have to be a different team working on a completely different console, which doesn't really sound like the way Squenix would do things for a numbered installment of one of their flagship series.

...which is fairly useless to have said, since Surfer Girl said "development" and not "production," but that seems like it could be fairly general and include things like writing down story ideas when they come.

358/2 days is quite far in development (with in-game gameplay footage already), and Nomura said that even at that point they don't know how, or if, they are going to use some of the DS's features, or what they are going to use with the bottom-screen

He even said with Birth By Sleep, that the scans we have of the game have a command menu that isn't even in the game anymore, because the creative process took it in a different direction

Many things change about a project, even when they are far along in development

And that quote says the they don't quite know specifically how it's going to end up, so I mean at that point they already know that it's going to be episodic, with Terra Aqua and Ven having separate stories and eventually meeting up, but he said that the specifics of how they're going to make it work aren't decided. So like, they weren't sure if it goes in a scripted fashion from you playing Terra->Ven->Aqua, or say if you get to choose who to play in what order, or if certain choices you make decide in what order you play them, etc.

Okay, that makes sense. ^^;

I do call Surfer Girl on her major contradictions, though. She starts out by saying "KHIII, if it is coming out..." which suggests that she does not know whether the game has even been started on yet. Then, she says that "Disney is keen on a Wii version," which is very strongly suggestive of a prediction for the future rather than something that's already in effect. This continues with "Disney has the leverage to make SquareEnix..." which not only makes Disney sound like a bully, but is also written in a very hypothetical way.

Finally, she reverses completely and says the game is already in development for the Wii, which seems to contradict entirely with the tone of her prior answers.

I'm going to try to see if there's any information on the nature of the collaboration between Disney and Squenix, and whether Disney would really have the power to strong-arm Squenix into doing what they want. So far, all I've found is this, which suggests that Squenix doesn't just fall at Disney's feet and give them whatever they want.

Last edited:

d_fallen_1

Just a special note, don't rely on Wikipedia on KH material. Sometimes little trouble makers like to make stuff up so get your sources the actual sources: Square, Japanese magazines or sites like this.

Sorikux

A little over a year ago Nomura was working on Versus, KH2: Final Mix, Re:Chains of Memories, It's a Wonderful World, FF7: Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep simultaneously. That's 5 games.

When KH2 was still in production, Nomura was working on Versus, FF7: Advent Children, KH2, and Chains of Memories. That's 4 games

Right now he's working on Versus (wrapping up the project), Birth By Sleep, 358/2 Days (expected to be released next year), and KH: Coded (expected to be released next year). So he's working on the same number of projects he was pre-KH2, and 2 of the 4 projects are expected to be completed half a year from now

If he's working on 3 side-stories, you don't think that he's working on the actual KH3 as well? He has less of a workload right now than he had a year ago, half the projects he's working on he feels will be completed and released by mid-08, chances are if he's that far into the projects he's atleast "in production" on KH3 preparing for when the side-stories are finished

EXACTLY! Why won't the rest of you believe he can't work on those too? And Versus is getting closer to finished as well. You think he can't work on KH3 now? Ha!

Btw, she said Resistance II was coming a while ago and today it was confirmed.

Sorikux

There is no way Square would sit down and chat with this lier.

I read no more than that. That right there just prove the entire thing is BULL. You got to be an idiot to believe this.

I'm sorry your fanboyism is deluding you because last time I checked SE is a third company and can make games for whichever system they want. If you think KH belongs to Sony then explain to me why KH: CoM and 358/2 Days are on the GBA and DS respectively.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
EXACTLY! Why won't the rest of you believe he can't work on those too? And Versus is getting closer to finished as well. You think he can't work on KH3 now? Ha!

Btw, she said Resistance II was coming a while ago and today it was confirmed.

Nomura can, sure. But it's not just a question of Nomura - Squenix is using their KH team to work on Versus. Which means the KH team probably can't be used for KHIII right now.

How long was a while ago (because I remember Insomniac talking about a Resistance sequel during some of their Ratchet interviews)? And even if it was before it was mentioned, why should something that's such an easy bet to make be counted much towards her reliability score? It seems to be the kind of thing anyone could guess, really.

And I think she just shot her credibility to shreds with this, anyway.

Sorikux

Nomura can, sure. But it's not just a question of Nomura - Squenix is using their KH team to work on Versus. Which means the KH team probably can't be used for KHIII right now.

How long was a while ago (because I remember Insomniac talking about a Resistance sequel during some of their Ratchet interviews)? And even if it was before it was mentioned, why should something that's such an easy bet to make be counted much towards her reliability score? It seems to be the kind of thing anyone could guess, really.

And I think she just shot her credibility to shreds with this, anyway.

Erm... dude, the only other thing the KH team is working on is Versus XIII. That's it. They can certainly handle 2 games (especially since it's presumed to be on the Wii, and the Wii is EXTREMELY easy to develop for).

And what do you mean her credibility got ripped to shreds?

Ybotx

No, no, no, no! There's no way that He is working on KH3 now. He's hasso much to do as everyone else said. The three new Kingdom Hearts game coming out in a year+ and final fantasy XIII too. There's no way they started develpment. The most they could be doing is brainstorming plots and what to do. Thats it, nothing else.

And Kingomd hearts ONLY being on the Wii? They would lose money big time. Not many people will have the Wii and if people did there's no telling how many would get a KH game. And not to mention KH is suppose to be on PS3 also. Hence the whole "I want to use the PS3 to it's full extent" thing.

Yes, they might make it for the Wii and PS3. I would like to see it on both. But it's not a fact that it will be on the Wii. But It will be on PS3 for sure. Not because its the same system line but because the PS3 is more for roleplaying while the Wii is more family orientated. Thus why most Nintendo games (after the release of Playstation) is now family orientated.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
And Kingomd hearts ONLY being on the Wii? They would lose money big time.

Uh, the Wii is currently doing very well. Better than the PS3 as a matter of fact. If things stay this way, they wouldn't lose money at all. And by that I mean if the Wii continues to do well. Obviously the PS3 will likely be in a favorable position by the time KH3 is ready to be made.

Not many people will have the Wii

There are more people owning Wii's than PS3's.

And not to mention KH is suppose to be on PS3 also.

Why? Because KH was on Sony consoles up till now, so logically they can only be on Sony consoles forever? Please.

Hence the whole "I want to use the PS3 to it's full extent" thing.

He said that regarding Versus. Not KH.

Yes, they might make it for the Wii and PS3.

Impossible. The two consoles are way too different.

But It will be on PS3 for sure.

According to what?

Not because its the same system line but because the PS3 is more for roleplaying

Lawl, the 360 has more RPG's for it than the PS3.

Charlie K

Back in Business
Oh, I just remebered, you can use a GameCube controller with the Wii right so..It wouldn't be weird...Right?

Charlie K

Back in Business
Because..If it's for Wii, and just Wii, that'll be it tho...

Also it's not just the graphics...

Sorikux

No, no, no, no! There's no way that He is working on KH3 now. He's hasso much to do as everyone else said. The three new Kingdom Hearts game coming out in a year+ and final fantasy XIII too. There's no way they started develpment. The most they could be doing is brainstorming plots and what to do. Thats it, nothing else.

And Kingomd hearts ONLY being on the Wii? They would lose money big time. Not many people will have the Wii and if people did there's no telling how many would get a KH game. And not to mention KH is suppose to be on PS3 also. Hence the whole "I want to use the PS3 to it's full extent" thing.

Yes, they might make it for the Wii and PS3. I would like to see it on both. But it's not a fact that it will be on the Wii. But It will be on PS3 for sure. Not because its the same system line but because the PS3 is more for roleplaying while the Wii is more family orientated. Thus why most Nintendo games (after the release of Playstation) is now family orientated.

This post phails so hard it's not even funny. But here I go...

1. Read TheMuffinMan's post for why Nomura is working on KH3 now.

2. How the **** would they lose money on the Wii when the Wii is the best-selling console and the demographic fits. If anything, they would lsoe money on the PS3. You, sir, phail.

3. KH3 is supposed to t be on the PS3? Tell me where SE/Disney said that. Oh wait, you made that up...

4. "I want to use PS3 to full extent thing" <--- What? I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure. But if you're talking about what I thinking you're talking about, Nomura was talking about FF not the PS3 in general. And last time I checked FF=/=KH. They're two different series.

5. Your last paragraph just blew your entire argument up. Dude, where do you get this stuff?! MAN THAT's FUNNY :lol: That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day! The PS3 = Roleplaying system = PHAIL. How so do you think this? Because last time I checked the majority of its games are SHOOTERs. And remember, PS2=/=PS3. Yes, the Wii is family oriented, but 90% (Reggie said it, I did not make this up. Btw, this was a E3.) of the people are hardcores and hardcore games sell VERY well. Look at Zelda, SMG (for both hardcore and casuals. The Wii shot up to 192k in the US for it's release. See: www.vgchartz.com), to some extent Metroid, RE4, etc. The Wii is not just a family system. It is also a hardcore system. Btw, it won't be on both Wii and PS3 because they are TOO different from eahc other.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
My God Soricux(i know i spelled it wrong) KH is probably not coming to Wii(first). FAce it. Sony has all the necessary info on the storyline: hence bbs coming to psp. Most ps2 owners got or will get a ps3, so S-E has a lot of fans to lose if they make it a Wii EXCLUSIVE. I believe there is a somewhat weak probablity that a port is possible, but believe it or not, kh is viewed as a system seller. I'm willing to buy a ds because of 358/2 days. Sony WILL not take the loss of kh lying down; they will fight for it. In fact, does anyone know of an article that shows how many ps2s were sold on kh2 release date? Cuz i'm sure a nice couple hundred thousand might've been out of the million copies sold.

Ybotx

Hades:

Well i wouldnt know if the Wii is doing well anywhere else. im not really into the Wii scene because where i live we rarely have them. And i thought that the whole 'wanting to use the PS3's full power' thing was meant for KH not FFXIII. And I know that it might not be only for the PS3. I wasnt saying anything about Square only being for Sony. I know they arent. Look at the final fantasy games for nintendo. Square made them so they wont only stay for Sony.
And there is always a possibility that it will be for the Wii. its not impossible. Sure the two systems are totally different, but look at the games for Wii now. They have some for PS3/2, Xbox (360) and the PC, so anything is possible.

And i was comparing the Wii and Playstation. I said nothing about Xbox 360.

Sorikux

Uh, the Wii is currently doing very well. Better than the PS3 as a matter of fact. If things stay this way, they wouldn't lose money at all. And by that I mean if the Wii continues to do well. Obviously the PS3 will likely be in a favorable position by the time KH3 is ready to be made.

There are more people owning Wii's than PS3's.

Why? Because KH was on Sony consoles up till now, so logically they can only be on Sony consoles forever? Please.

He said that regarding Versus. Not KH.

Impossible. The two consoles are way too different.

According to what?

Lawl, the 360 has more RPG's for it than the PS3.

Not unless they started it already as SG said. Besides, read Muffin's post. It should have been started on it by now.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Well i wouldnt know if the Wii is doing well anywhere else.

It's doing well (better than the PS3) pretty much everywhere.

And i thought that the whole 'wanting to use the PS3's full power' thing was meant for KH not FFXIII.

Well, he did say similar things regarding the two, but what I think you might have read regarding KH is that the story of the keyblade war would need "powerful hardware" to be told. And that game is for PSP, meaning he meant the PSP.

And I know that it might not be only for the PS3. I wasnt saying anything about Square only being for Sony. I know they arent.

Sorry bout that then. But why would KH3 definitely be on PS3 otherwise?

Look at the final fantasy games for nintendo. Square made them so they wont only stay for Sony.

Exactly.

And there is always a possibility that it will be for the Wii. its not impossible. Sure the two systems are totally different, but look at the games for Wii now. They have some for PS3/2, Xbox (360) and the PC, so anything is possible.

Well, that really depends on the game. For KH, I don't think that would work. SE clearly always tries to make the best with what they have, and that wouldn't work with a multiplaform for Wii/PS3. It's the same thing with a lot of developers: most of the time the Wii version is different. Like SM3 for example.

so S-E has a lot of fans to lose if they make it a Wii EXCLUSIVE.

They have a lot of fans to gain as well.

Sony WILL not take the loss of kh lying down; they will fight for it.

And what exactly is it that they would be able to do about it? SE is third party, so as far as I am aware they can make games for whoever they want, and Sony can't do a thing about that.

Sorikux said:
Besides, read Muffin's post. It should have been started on it by now.

Eh, I do agree, but our concepts of "production" are different. TMM says they are probably working on ideas for a new installment( concepts, character designs, etc), but not actually MAKING the game yet. For all we know he might not have even decided what platform it will be on yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back