• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts III Ships Five Million Units Worldwide Becoming Fastest Selling Game In The Series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
ah my bad. google was saying 2.6

Those were probably the retail sales, which is actually a more accurate figure as to how many consumers are buying it. Just shipping x number of copies doesn’t necessarily mean that many people are buying the game. I’m curious to know what the retail numbers are for KH3 in comparison to FFXV.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Those were probably the retail sales, which is actually a more accurate figure as to how many consumers are buying it. Just shipping x number of copies doesn’t necessarily mean that many people are buying the game. I’m curious to know what the retail numbers are for KH3 in comparison to FFXV.
That’s exactly it but comparing one game’s retail sold through copies to another game’s shipped copies is flawed, especially when we have shipped numbers for the first game.

The games are both successful and I’m proud for both development teams. I hope Square Enix is proud of the results and use this boost to their advantage.

mriku90

Awards
I think you'd be shocked if you knew how much Disney likes Kingdom Hearts and how difficult it is for them to do whatever they want with the property.

They own the franchise and it's original characters. If they wanted to they could greenlight a series to their Disney + streaming service immediately. The only thing they'd need of Nomura's permission is FF characters.

“Square Enix announced almost immediately that the day one shipments, including digital downloads, were over five million copies, marking the fastest selling Final Fantasy game ever at its debut. “

https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xv-broke-even-development-costs-day-one/

Just to say, KH3 still beat it, by a couple thousand. But it still is the most successful launch for SE in a long time.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Just to say, KH3 still beat it, by a couple thousand. But it still is the most successful launch for SE in a long time.
Yeah, but you have to remember FFXV’s press release came in after a day and KH3’s came in after a week. Both are still excellent, I only posted that because the 2.6 million wasn’t accurate to the shipped numbers that were being compared to with KH3.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I definitely expected it to outsell Kingdom Hearts II, but to outsell Kingdom Hearts this early is mindblowing.

The Disney world reveal marketing was genius, though the final trailers could have been omitted to add to the surprise factor.

Square Enix have to have something prepared for D23 2019 in response to this success.

NoWay

Awards
What does “the game has shipped 5 million copies” mean? Are these the exact sales or what is it?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
What does “the game has shipped 5 million copies” mean? Are these the exact sales or what is it?
5 million copies have been shipped to distributors around the world. It doesn’t mean 5 million have been sold but that the demand was high enough for 5 million to be printed and sent out.

Perkilator

Awards
KH3: 5 million in its first week.
RE2 Remake: 3 million in its first week.

And people said this wouldn’t sell because of leaks.

Lulcy

Awards

Source for that?

XV numbers are still more impressive, XV made those numbers during its first day, at the end of november (entering on the dead month that's December) and after the judgernaut that's Call of Duty (Infinite Warfare for that year) released days prior.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Okay, I know I did it myself and I also find any situation to critique XV as I hate the game (Narrator: She’s clocked 120 hours and plays it frequently during her downtime) but perhaps we should cease the talk. We should be celebrating KH3’s highly successful launch rather than comparing it to XV’s successful launch.

Both launches are impressive.

It’ll be interesting to find out sell-through numbers if they release them.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I hope we get official numbers actually sold soon. Where can we find sales info. about KH1 and KH2 anyway?

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
For real, I hope this means more KH3 content. I don't usually beg for DLC stuff but Riku's stuff is begging to be made into its own extended segment and there are so many QOL improvements to be made and like more enemies, Keyblades, Links, Attractions, implement Wardrobe into KH3 for the Vine, more costumes in general, more bosses, Critical Mode, more cutscenes, Boss Portals, a function for Gummi Ship Blueprint sharing, and like...so much stuff...

Give it all please, it's only been a week and we are all thirsty for more again haha

Yes please, yes please, yes please!

This game is great and I want more lol

Back