• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Poetry or writing?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Poetry or Writing?

• Poetry

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Writing (stories, essays etc)

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AzzurroRainrebor

I REALLY like both, but since I have to select one, I'd say story. You could engross the audience in your story with complex characters and settings.

Then again, you can tell great stories with poetry, especially sonnets. You'd probably get more credit if you write a short sonnet that is packed with dramatic rhetoric and tells an awesome story. I recommend reading Shakespeare's sonnets for inspiration (might be boring, though)...

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
I feel that poetry is sometimes full of shit.
However sometimes its not and sometimes it can be absolutely beautiful.

But I really have much respect for great pieces of prose - the kind of prose that could be poetry.

E

Eyesore

Eh, that's a hard one.
I write lyrics and Rap(which counts as poetry) and I love that, but I was writing stories first...
So, I'd have to go with "writing."

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Poetry, while elegant when done well, is otherwise very limiting on what one can write and produce and restricts the actual level of expression available to the writer. Needless to say I prefer the more 'standard' style of writing.

Firo

Oh Crap
I enjoy poetry, but not the "overly personal" poetry. At that point it becomes an emo song in the making.
I understand poetry is personal in most cases, but w/e.

I'd have to chose writing.

I only look at poetry for philosophical engagement.
Modern poetry seems so...bleh.

Oriax

I like both. I prefer to write stories though, but when I get inspiration for a poem, I have to write it :)

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
Poetry is more challenging, more lyrical, and tends to reach deeper into someone's "emotional well" without seeming to TRY and do so.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Poetry can be exceptional, all of you who are hating on it disappoint me.

Are you planning on writing a Shakespearean or Petrarchan sonnet?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I don't like poetry; while I do agree that it's great, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm better at telling a story :)

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
I like both. I like a good story that sends me into imagination or causes me to think about certain things. Poetry usually expresses a story but shorter and shows more emotions in less time than a story does. I just like poetry more for its emotion rather than story telling.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back