• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tales RPG Series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Tales of the Abyss was my favorite one to play. I loved the opening song with Luke free falling in the air and guitar rift, sending shivers down my spine every time I hear it. A lot of fun playing through the story, watching Luke develop more as a character and think for himself. The plot twists were the most exciting part for me and I ship Luke x Tear.

Tales of Symphonia was my second game to play of this series. I only wish I could of completed it a long time ago, because, I really liked the characters and had gotten pretty far in it. </3

Nine-Tailed Fox

?˖✧ Army of One ✧˖?
Awards
Website
sailorstar-fox.livejournal.com
So which one is better, plot wise and gameplay wise, xillia or vesperia?

I really can't say much plot-wise yet since i'm only halfway through, but the majority of fans didn't like the final plot arc in Vesperia (I didn't mind it though) with the Adephagos and all that. And with Xillia, i've been pretty distracted just focusing on the great cast-- i'll have to pay more attention and answer this one properly after I finish my Milla playthrough lol.

As for gameplay, it's definitely a matter of opinion. I still prefer Vesperia's battle style the most-- simply because if you knew what you were doing, you could pull off an infinite chain of combos. Xillia's battle system is really fun-- between the Lilium Orbs, Linking, Skills, Artes, etc. there's definitely a more strategic feel to the chaos.

As for normal gameplay (exploring towns, dungeons, etc.), hiking through some of Xillia's areas can be very time-consuming compared to any of the previous titles due to their sheer size and your (somewhat) slow pace. Not far in, you do get the infamous Winged Boots item which speeds you up a bit, but I miss being able to 'dash' through the areas (something they added in Xillia 2-- i'm spoiled now eheh). However, I enjoy running around looking for treasure and materials in these large areas.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
As I understand it, Xillia lets you fast travel via the world map. Granted, I've never tried it myself, as I'd rather just go through the areas like normal even after I've already gone through them once.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I got Xillia today, haven't played much of it but it's quite fun.

So which one is better, plot wise and gameplay wise, xillia or vesperia?
I can't exactly comment on the plot (Vesperia did start out better though) but gameplay wise I feel Vesperia wins.

As for gameplay, it's definitely a matter of opinion. I still prefer Vesperia's battle style the most-- simply because if you knew what you were doing, you could pull off an infinite chain of combos.
This is basically the reason why I like Vesperia's battle system more. I like being able to combo forever and Xillia prevents you from doing that.

Nine-Tailed Fox

?˖✧ Army of One ✧˖?
Awards
Website
sailorstar-fox.livejournal.com
As I understand it, Xillia let's you fast travel via the world map. Granted, I've never tried it myself, as I'd rather just go through the areas like normal even after I've already gone through them once.

I'm the same way. Especially if i've just completed a dungeon or something else important. If you fast travel, you can miss skits or other little things. Not to mention it's a good chance to grab extra materials.

But I have been using it for when i'm taking on several side quests at once-- i'm already way behind everyone else plot-wise since i'm taking the time to do all that stuff now lol.

I can't exactly comment on the plot (Vesperia did start out better though) but gameplay wise I feel Vesperia wins.

Vesperia did start off in a more interesting way. Not to say Xillia starts off poorly, there was just something that drew me in with Vesperia.

This is basically the reason why I like Vesperia's battle system more. I like being able to combo forever and Xillia prevents you from doing that.

Exactly. Being used to Xillia's battle system, I do like it a lot. But the combos in Vesperia were addictive.

Awards
lol, I freaking BROKE Vesperia because I could just keep doing endless combos.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, TIDAL WAVE

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
why is tales of xillia so god damn expensive in the UK? £50 ($77) for a game? that's ridiculous.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
why is tales of xillia so god damn expensive in the UK? £50 ($77) for a game? that's ridiculous.
I thought the same thing, I almost didn't buy it because of the price especially since it's listed a lot cheaper online. I got mine for about £45 and it turns out I got the day one edition so that could be the reason for the high price. I found another in Asda for £37 though.

Awards
My first tales game was Graces. I wasn't too excited about playing it at first, and my friends kinda kinda had to convince me to play it, but it was absolutely awesome. Abyss and Symphonia were also completely amazing. They're so much fun to play and the stories are totally unique and interesting, even though some elements of the games are interchangeable throughout different games.

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
I thought the same thing, I almost didn't buy it because of the price especially since it's listed a lot cheaper online. I got mine for about £45 and it turns out I got the day one edition so that could be the reason for the high price. I found another in Asda for £37 though.

yeah, i looked around. asda had it for £37 (out of stock), GAME for £35 (out of stock) and finally caved in and bought it for £45 from that diddlying bright orange shop (granger games or something idk)

my main issue is that it's listed as £49.99 on PSN. even day one edition hard copy is cheaper, so what extra am i getting with the download one? i had a look on my american PSN account and it was only $54.99 which works out at about £32-35

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Namco's leavin' false trails with trademarks again. Though they've already registered trademarks for Tales of Zestoria, Tales of Creales, and Tales of Catastora, they've recently filed three more trademarks: Tales of Link, Tales of Jin, and Tales of Ansis.

Wonder which, if any, will be an actual game.

Though I have to say, Tales of Link sounds rather HYET! HYAHHHH! :p

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Nearly 40 hours and 60 levels later, I can safely say that I love this game.

Xillia is so much fun.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
I have a small question regarding Tales of Xillia. The last Tales of game I've played is Symphonia and, towards the end, it seemed to be nothing but dungeon dungeon dungeon. Is Xillia the same? Does the story take place outside of a dungeon more?

I really enjoyed Vesperia for the fact that you weren't always in a dungeon, the story actually took place in the countless cities that were littered over the world. Symphonia just had so many places that were seemingly useless until the end of the game.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Though I haven't played Vesperia, Xillia seems to have a pretty fair distribution of towns and dungeons. The story progresses in both.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
My favorite is Tales of Vesperia, even though I lack the Xbox to play it. I'm considering getting the Japanese PS3 version, even if I don't understand it. I was happy that they had Yuri, Estelle, and Flynn in Project X Zone. The movie was actually REALLY good, too.

I've also played Tales of Legendia. I thought it was good fun :3

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
symphonia will always have a place in my heart. i wasn't a huge fan of graces, which made me slightly dubious when buying xillia, but xillia is way better so far.

but i hate that we never got vesperia (i don't have an 360.) i saw the movie and thought the characters/storyline were a bit more interesting than the most recent entries.

buuuut as much as i love this series, i'm kinda getting bored of the designs (too much animu) and the personalities of the cast. it's like they've just recycled the cast from other games.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
symphonia will always have a place in my heart. i wasn't a huge fan of graces, which made me slightly dubious when buying xillia, but xillia is way better so far.

but i hate that we never got vesperia (i don't have an 360.) i saw the movie and thought the characters/storyline were a bit more interesting than the most recent entries.

buuuut as much as i love this series, i'm kinda getting bored of the designs (too much animu) and the personalities of the cast. it's like they've just recycled the cast from other games.

Well to be fair, creating likable personalites isn't easy, and each party carries the last titles' traits. But it's something you shouldn't let bother you.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
It's totally true (but then again, it always has been). Alvin and Rowen are kinda cool though, but that might just be because their voice actors put some actual effort into it.

I'd be lying if I said I'm thrilled that the visuals look like a remastered PS2 game.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It's totally true (but then again, it always has been). Alvin and Rowen are kinda cool though, but that might just be because their voice actors put some actual effort into it.

I'd be lying if I said I'm thrilled that the visuals look like a remastered PS2 game.

If I told you one of them is Death the Kid, how would you feel?

Cloud

this guy are sick
Awards
Well to be fair, creating likable personalites isn't easy, and each party carries the last titles' traits. But it's something you shouldn't let bother you.

it's not that they're not likeable, just that i feel they need to think of something new. there's always the do-gooder (main char), the one that doesn't understand humans (sophie, presea, milla), the cool guy/ladies man (kratos, zelos, malik, alvin) i could go on, but you get the picture. although, i'll give them that rowen is kind of unique (but sort of similar to regal.)

like i said, i've only played symphonia, xillia, and graces so it may be different in the other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back