• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

IPerhaps it is because they listened to the Japanese VA's first and have decided that if the characters don't sound exactly like that then it is just plain wrong, or maybe everybody they know paints their words with emotion when they speak, just in case the body language isn't screaming that they are happy or sad.

I suspect this has a lot to do with the fact that we're all used to voice actors exaggerating everything almost to the point of caricature, so when non-voice actors are cast and use the same amount of emotion they'd use when acting on camera, they seem like they're not acting at all in comparison. =/

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I suspect this has a lot to do with the fact that we're all used to voice actors exaggerating everything almost to the point of caricature, so when non-voice actors are cast and use the same amount of emotion they'd use when acting on camera, they seem like they're not acting at all in comparison. =/
I couldn't agree more with this post, I think that's exactly what's going on.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

To be honest, sometimes the Japanese sound like they're over-reacting.

I couldn't help but laugh at Japanese MX when he was whining and yelling as he said Your darkness will be my ultimate weapon! And even the way he moved made him look retarded lol

I also agree with Diomedes that the English voices do sound more realistic. The Japanese ones make Ventus, Aqua and Master Xehanort sound too young and make Terra sound too old.

sonickenshin

Awards

Well, to be fair, voice acting does require some form of exaggeration. Not to the extent of what you're thinking of, but believe it or not voice acting is different from on-camera acting. On-camera acting, you have...well...you have a lot in your disposal that'll help your acting (props, other people, etc). But, voice acting well, you don't have that (you just have a script, a director, SOMETIMES other people, and SOMETIMES visual references). So, of course you need to exaggerate. Just not to extremes...unless whatever your voicing...does go to extremes. And you need more than just emotion, you have to have the right energy and personality in your voice. So....yeah.

Last edited:

DrunkBeardGuy

How old is Terra supposed to be? The Japanese voice makes him seem like he's in his late 20's. I think he's actually more around 20-22, which I think Jason pulls off better. Japanese Terra just sounds too old, but maybe that's just me....

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

How old is Terra supposed to be? The Japanese voice makes him seem like he's in his late 20's. I think he's actually more around 20-22, which I think Jason pulls off better. Japanese Terra just sounds too old, but maybe that's just me....

Probably 18-22. I still say he's 18, but I think I'm alone on that.

DrunkBeardGuy

^Yeah, but if he's 18, how old is Aqua? He's supposed to be the oldest, and Aqua seems older than that.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Probably 18-22. I still say he's 18, but I think I'm alone on that.

I'd say either 19 or 20. Aqua's probably 19 or 18... Ventus is either 14 or 15. I think Ventus is 14 simply because of his child-look attitude that was slightly similar to KH1 Sora.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past

In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit that Terra would be 18. It's easy to forget that in KH, with each year, you grow like half a foot. Aqua's probably the same if not 17. I say Ventus is 15 or so.

Wheels

I'd say Terra is around 18-19, Aqua around 16-17(And believe me, this isn't too young. People develop earlier these days, because of obesity, hormones in our foods and things like that. At 14, I was was asked what school I taught at, so yeah.) and Ven probably 14-15. He still retains that youthful wonder in everything ^_^

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit that Terra would be 18. It's easy to forget that in KH, with each year, you grow like half a foot. Aqua's probably the same if not 17. I say Ventus is 15 or so.

^ These are pretty much the same age guestimations I have.

I'd say Terra is around 18-19, Aqua around 16-17(And believe me, this isn't too young. People develop earlier these days, because of obesity, hormones in our foods and things like that. At 14, I was was asked what school I taught at, so yeah.) and Ven probably 14-15. He still retains that youthful wonder in everything ^_^

Wait, seriously? o_O

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Y'know, using obesity and growth hormones as a reason for Aqua to grow up faster is... uh... XD

I'd say she's 17-18, and Terra is 18-19. I don't see them being more than a year apart, for some reason.

Wheels

Y'know, using obesity and growth hormones as a reason for Aqua to grow up faster is... uh... XD

I'd say she's 17-18, and Terra is 18-19. I don't see them being more than a year apart, for some reason.

LOL Yeah, I know, but hey, growth hormones are rampant in our food, obesity doesn't really apply but still XD Essentially, the point of pointing that out was that compared to 100+ years ago, women especially are developing earlier in life, it used to be around 15, the average age to start development for women, but now it's at like 11 or 12.

Wait, seriously? o_O

Seriously O_O I have to show my student ID wherever I go, because people think I'm like, 20,21, and I'm freaking 16 Q_Q It's even worse when I wear makeup, then I look even older. Hell, some guy let me buy alcohol(not for myself, but for my father, who was too lazy to get up) without showing him ID just recently.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

LOL Yeah, I know, but hey, growth hormones are rampant in our food, obesity doesn't really apply but still XD Essentially, the point of pointing that out was that compared to 100+ years ago, women especially are developing earlier in life, it used to be around 15, the average age to start development for women, but now it's at like 11 or 12.

Oh yeah, there was a thread in General Discussion about that a while ago...

Seriously O_O I have to show my student ID wherever I go, because people think I'm like, 20,21, and I'm freaking 16 Q_Q It's even worse when I wear makeup, then I look even older. Hell, some guy let me buy alcohol(not for myself, but for my father, who was too lazy to get up) without showing him ID just recently.

Wow. Well, if you ever want alcohol...

Nostalgia

livin' in the past

Yeah. That's essentially what the woman who asked what school I taught at said when I told her I was 14 XD

I have a story of the opposite type of situation. A history teacher at my high school, shortly into the year (and it was his first year) was organizing students into the auditorium for an assembly, and our VP yelled at him to get in his seat. Then, I heard an English teacher whisper in the VP's ear (Uh, Mrs. Y, he's a teacher.) And she was like, "Oh, I'm so sorry, but think of it as a compliment!"

αsiя

space coke

This is video games people, more importantly it's a JRPG/ARPG video game. Don't use real life examples to trying to come up with Terra's age. These type of games always go with everything stereotypical. Using your own body as a way to come up with Terra's age is just as useless as coming up with a reason why Sora's hair didn't fall down when he fell into the water.

What I'm basically saying is that KH doesn't do realism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back