• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

There better be Allies in DDD (Whats Happened To KH???)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KHHacker6595

As much as I think the Dream Eaters are a cool idea I can't help but think that Square is just forgetting about Allies. Kingdom Hearts seems to be getting farther and father away from what made the original so good. I miss having party members that I could switch around and customize.

I miss learning new abilities and using Ethers to restore MP. Now there making it too easy, there's no MP bar anymore, so all you do is just use a command deck and destroy everything in two seconds. Most of the strategy and challenge is gone from the series. If DDD does not have Party members other than Dream Eaters I will have officially lost faith in the series.

I really hope Quasimodo, Mickey, and Neku are party members in DDD, if there not, I will be very disappointed. I feel many of you are really getting distracted by the tons of crazy things there doing with this game, having tons of characters from other games in the series making cameos, tons of plot points hopefully being explained, and all the mystery and inclusion of TWEWY characters, that your forgetting about what makes Kingdom Hearts what it is.

I suggest all of you go back and play Kingdom Hearts 1 from beginning to end and tell me you don't miss party members, good hub worlds, shops, good minigames, puzzles, platforming, and a well constructed story with good world selection. And most of all "The League of Villains". I don't know about you, but I really don't like where Kingdom Hearts is going despite being caught up in the same hype everyone else is in. I am optimistic about DDD, But there's apart of me that's still very worried.

MinerKing

Well you have to know that there are some limitations when you are developing for handheld devices (which almost all of the most recent Kingdom Hearts games have been developed for.) Not only are we talking about hardware limitations, but they do not use their fullest available resources for handheld titles. They also are trying new things with the handheld entries into the series (like the command deck.) If EVERY entry had the same mechanics, then the gameplay would get very stale.
But I do miss allies ):

Gram

Banned
Awards
i agree honestly on some things like the commands but i cant deny that the commands are fun as well.
dont care bout the party members cause i never liked them to much, spent a good deal of time throwing barrels on donald in kh1 xD

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Unfortunately I don't think that there will be allies like KH1&2, jus them damn dream eats. But honestly I feel like KH3 will bring it all back (gameplay) obviously with enhancements but notice how the actual KH titles kH1&2 you play as Sora and as the main hero of the story with the main objectives of the KH story being completed then through you playing Sora in either KH1or2. The command deck in BBS and DDD is cool but ya having a magic bar was cooler in my opinion. I just feel like they won't disappoint anyone in KH3, they've had too long to figure out to make it perfect. I don't think anyone has to worry about KH3, I don't think it will disappoint whenever it does happen.

And they better do it right and make it for ps3, the vita would be horrible for such an epic game

Master Critter

I agree. One thing I like about this series was that you fight alongside Disney characters, as well as fight the Disney villains. Kingdom Hearts is part Disney, so they should include the party members for the sake of the series. I mean, I'm impressed with what they're doing in DDD, but sometimes I prefer the original system in KH1 & 2.

Axеl

Website
z7.invisionfree.com
If EVERY entry had the same mechanics, then the gameplay would get very stale.

This has been my feeling from game to game. They keep changing it up, and there's the familiar and there's the new and alien, and it's a system I like. That and not everything from the original was perfect and should never change in new installments. If it were too similar from game to game then we might just dump it cuz it didn't change enough. It's really hard to say without the bias of nostalgia.

But I do miss allies ):

Me too. :( I loved them in Days, but BBS was lonely. Still, I liked other parts about it that involved other characters, like the Command Board.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
I do miss having allies to use in battle. We've been without them for what, two or three games now? There are gonna be plenty of great potential allies in DDD, and I hope they'd get used.

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
I actually like all of the changes that are made. I felt that the Command Deck actually made me felt like was powerful and back in the originals, I didn't use any magic besides Curaga. Now, I'm using magic like there's no tomorrow because of how powerful they could be. And to make sure it's not overpowered, commands have to reload after usage and some are so powerful that they take up to two or three slots. Additionally, Coded's Clock Gauge limited the amount of spells you could have by ho much power and level they have in total. The only thing I somewhat agree with are the partners and League of Villains because I really want Disney Villains back in the main plot again. Also, partners really didn't do anything, but die all of the time so it's not like they add anything more than nostalgia. I'd like it, but it's not completely necessary. I would, however, at least like it if you could have Disney partners in bosses like BbS with Quasimodo against Judge Frollo, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy against Pete and the Beagle Boys, Sorcerer Mickey against Chernabog, and neku against a giant Dream Eater. Also, most people think the platforming in KH was crap. I would like to see Square actually have it done right though.

Seriously, I think you're jumping to conclusions quite a bit. I understand your frustration and I agree with some of your worries, but you shouldn't act like Square's only focusing on the negative. For example, Dream Eaters give a chance to experiment with partners and form powerful moves which will make partners much more useful in the future. Areas are much larger now (Have you seen La Cite des Cloches Square, the bridge, and the Cathedral? They're huger than any areas I've seen in the whole series alone!) For once, we have all new worlds (Area-wise.) Not to mention that Riku's actually going to be given more of a playable role than ever before. You should be glad Square is changing up the gameplay every game instead of sticking to the same thing. It helps give each installment become identifiable not only story-wise, but gameplay-wise.

I really think KH is actually improving, and despite some nitpicks, I'd still be perfectly satisfied with the game even if my pleas aren't answered. I'm confident that DDD will actually be my favorite game of the series, but if you want to focus only on some nostalgia, that's your loss.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Riku is speaking with Quasimodo who is holding Esmeralda: Quasimodo, where did the creatures go?
Quasimodo: To the rooftop of cathedral.
A Dream Eater with wings like a butterfly descends upon them.
Quasimodo: Me too, me too, I’ll fight too!

Neku: This is from the Game. All the participants have it engraved upon them. I can’t afford to lose this Game!
Sora: I don’t really get ‘the Game’, but maybe I can lend a hand?

Me thinks there will be allies. They just haven't shown it yet.

Crazy Mario

Me thinks there will be allies. They just haven't shown it yet.
Not to mention the various scenes showing Mickey, Donald, and Goofy rushing to the Opera and Mickey and Donald on the carriage with Sora facing the Tyrant Rex boss.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Not to mention the various scenes showing Mickey, Donald, and Goofy rushing to the Opera and Mickey and Donald on the carriage with Sora facing the Tyrant Rex boss.

I actually don't remember Mickey and Donald being on the carriage(I thought they fell off) but whatevs.

Basically, there will be allies, but not for the full world, just at certain points in the story, like in BBS.

Crazy Mario

I actually don't remember Mickey and Donald being on the carriage(I thought they fell off) but whatevs.

Basically, there will be allies, but not for the full world, just at certain points in the story, like in BBS.
lol, yeah, they fell off. But my point was that they're ready to fight. And I don't think Square would give them swords just for show.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
lol, yeah, they fell off. But my point was that they're ready to fight. And I don't think Square would give them swords just for show.

No, Square wouldn't give the musketeer's swords because that didn't happen in the movie at all, no :3.

Crazy Mario

No, Square wouldn't give the musketeer's swords because that didn't happen in the movie at all, no :3.
When they were fighting, yes. He can't just give them swords only to throw a million excuses why they don't participate in fights. Look at Hercules. He has a sword, but you don't see him waving it around every five seconds if he isn't going to use it.

KHHacker6595

First of all, let me get something across. I wasn't saying they shouldn't improve upon things throughout each installment. What their doing is changing and removing things in place of newer things there trying to test out. Yes, when I first played Birth By Sleep, I thought the Command Deck was brilliant, but after playing the game continually, I realized how overpowered and cheep it was.

In Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 I actually had to dodge and block. BBS allowed me to spam powerful attacks and gain Thundaga very early in the game. You could basically make Thundaga, buy a bunch, and spam that to kill groups of enemies quickly, not to mention you gained a level every ten seconds. Dividing up the story screwed up the plot for me even though the characters were all very good. I do like Command Styles and Shot Locks, but all it did was add more cheap overpowered abilities to an already very easy game.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and CoM/Re:CoM were actually difficult, even Kingdom Hearts 2 on proud vs most of the Organization members was hard. Days had terrible pacing, the story was good, but the gameplay and atmosphere was boring. Re:Coded took the worst things from all the games and smashed them together.

If DDD makes the enemies a lot stronger, the command decks a lot weaker, the dream eaters useful, and the plot relevant and paced well, then I will happily say its as good as Kingdom Hearts 1. Untill then I won't. Its not nostaligia, its me wanting to see improvements to the foundation of a game series, rather than experimenting with its premise and changing the game for the worst.

Crazy Mario

First of all, let me get something across. I wasn't saying they shouldn't improve upon things throughout each installment. What their doing is changing and removing things in place of newer things there trying to test out. Yes, when I first played Birth By Sleep, I thought the Command Deck was brilliant, but after playing the game continually, I realized how overpowered and cheep it was.

In Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 I actually had to dodge and block. BBS allowed me to spam powerful attacks and gain Thundaga very early in the game. You could basically make Thundaga, buy a bunch, and spam that to kill groups of enemies quickly, not to mention you gained a level every ten seconds. Dividing up the story screwed up the plot for me even though the characters were all very good. I do like Command Styles and Shot Locks, but all it did was add more cheap overpowered abilities to an already very easy game.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and CoM/Re:CoM were actually difficult, even Kingdom Hearts 2 on proud vs most of the Organization members was hard. Days had terrible pacing, the story was good, but the gameplay and atmosphere was boring. Re:Coded took the worst things from all the games and smashed them together.

If DDD makes the enemies a lot stronger, the command decks a lot weaker, the dream eaters useful, and the plot relevant and paced well, then I will happily say its as good as Kingdom Hearts 1. Untill then I won't. Its not nostaligia, its me wanting to see improvements to the foundation of a game series, rather than experimenting with its premise and changing the game for the worst.
Firstly, I could admit that's true. But that's really all up to opinion. Square's thought was that it would be better and I frankly agree with them. Thundaga was unlockable early in the game because there were so many new, powerful, and creative spells to gain from that point. As a major level grinder, I can tell you that it took hours and days to level up both stats and commands most of the time. And who say soy shouldn't dodge and block. Last time I remember, when I used to spam all of my commands to beat Unversed and I made it to later levels like Deep Space, the Unversed were kicking my ass because of how powerful my commands were and don't get me started on Coded.

And I thought dividing up the story was good because not only did it show various personal views, but different gameplay styles, varied stats between TAV, different commands, shot locks, and D-links accessible, etc. I do agree that switching between three people was quite annoying, especially with all of the differences; but DDD caught my interest and fixed that by having you switch between charters in a single play-through and having them share items which I find to be extraordinary. The only feature I think was too overpowered were the shot locks because it took care of giant enemies that would normally stomp most of your health to shreds, especially when the elements were on your side. I agree with Days, but my opinion about Coded is the complete opposite.

I thought the Clock Gauge was genius and I loved the level up format of installing chips that would boost your stats, level you up, access new sectors, and provide prizes. And the finish commands were great and creative due to giving you a heads up if you keep bashing an enemy, but barely make any damage along with command styles that would change your elemental damage, increase power of matching element magic, and provide different finish commands under your belt which provided much thought in how you would use commands to determine which transformation to become and when to stay without.

This is really just an opinionated argument. Don't act like these are definitely the solutions to problems you encounter because many people vary greatly when it comes to the style. When I played KH, I only had trouble with a few bosses like Cerberus and didn't use ANY commands besides Cure and Aero because just shooting fireballs and ice wasn't good enough. I also thought that having a magic gauge was annoying by how much you time you had to spend fueling it up, especially when I ran out of ethers to use. I would've definitely preferred commands due to providing different styles of attacking like doing vertical slashes, firing projectiles, unleash elements that protect you from damage, ram into enemies, and such to actually feel like I could handle the situation and play my cards right instead of having up to ten spells with the most difference being the type of element it is.

Also, the cost of relying on them took it's toll when you would spam them which would leave you trying to dodge the enemy and block their attacks and sometimes they'll even dodge commands. Additionally, powerful spells took up more slots/points which made my mind implode on which commands I'd pick throughout the game.

I felt the whole process was really balanced in general while in KHI and II, I just felt limited. But that's just my opinion. If you feel differently, then I can't blame as each gameplay style has it's pros and cons. Just don't act like it's totally necessary and it's needed to provide foundation because many fans and websites I know mostly love the new commands.

Swordsy

I think that you will only get allies during boss and maybe mini-boss fights. I remember specifically in the trailer for DDD Quasimodo shouting something like "I want to fight too!" as Sora or Riku ran into the cathedral at what looked like the last segment of that world. Also, they really haven't shown Quasimodo doing much at all in the trailer other than swinging to Esmerelda's rescue. I'm like like 95% sure we'll at least get him as an ally for a boss fight, and hopefully against Frollo.

Still man, don't count out the allies completely. I forget when Nomura said it, but he said that the dream eaters that you get for your "party" kind of like Pokemon, serve to build certain abilities and moves for Sora and Riku. I am also pretty sure he said you could make the dream eaters stronger in some way, but I forget how. Heck, are we even sure that they can actually attack enemies on their own? I'd have to rewatch the trailer just to make sure. To me, these dream eaters are a new thing they are trying, kind of like the chip level up thing in Re:Coded. Except instead of using them to build your stats when you level up, you use them for special moves and gaining different perks and abilities. That's just what I think, though.

Axеl

Website
z7.invisionfree.com
Areas are much larger now (Have you seen La Cite des Cloches Square, the bridge, and the Cathedral? They're huger than any areas I've seen in the whole series alone!) For once, we have all new worlds (Area-wise.)

Just wanted to agree completely with this. My biggest beef with KH1 was probably just how tiny some of the worlds were. It was like you had to stick to Traverse Town and Hollow Bastion if you wanted an actual change of scenery during a level-busting trip, and probably the worst offender was Neverland. Not that flying at the clocktower wasn't great but holy hell, I was kind of expecting Neverland to be in Neverland. So to see that in later installments was fantastic.

In BBS in particular it seems like worlds just go on and on, but maybe they're just bigger areas overall. So I'm excited to see this come back in DDD.

And since I didn't before, I'll agree too with the league of villains. I'm hoping that concept comes back, it's like they were trying to in KH2 but there was just no organization to Maleficent and Pete puttering around on their lonesome. I'm a little biased cuz the Organization is a fave, but despite being against Sora they don't strike me as necessarily signature villains of the series--it's more like this huge misunderstanding that wouldn't exist if they had hearts from the start, so I think of them with a lot of neutrality towards the ultimate struggle between Sora and the darkness--so for them to come back now I'm thinking they'll probably either be allies or side with Xehanort. Maleficent if we're lucky. But I don't think Square has figured out yet that all-new Disney villains in positions of power can be just as shocking as seeing Vanitas again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back