• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

This is why I need to get back into WoW. The world isn't gonna save itself.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I posted this once and everyone ignored me ):

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3
Can you post ken nude, too? If you do I promise you there will be over a thousand replies here.

Awards
If ten people reply to this thread, I will post nudes.
lol we won't fall for that.
Well i want to see nudes, lmao
Eh? well at least one is expected...
Can you post ken nude, too? If you do I promise you there will be over a thousand replies here.
Well, that's just Aqua. being Aqua...
Nudes are always good.....i like nudes....and very interesting info.
I'm seeing a trend here...
fl;ajgsld'ga

<3

Hi, I want to see you nude.
Okay seriously guys!?
yes i agree
No stopit
no worries i have sam nudes already ;)
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

XD JK I know you all are just kidding.

Anyway I saw the vid and I can see where she's coming from, it's just that it seems a bit too much like a pipe dream.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
Basically, she wants videogames to inspire people to know that 'hey, today I can do something good for the world!'. Nice thought, really.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
∞;5200468 said:
I posted this once and everyone ignored me ):
Nobody likes your threads.

I'm just kidding, Jezza. I like your threads.

The video itself left me cold overall and even made me physically cringe at points, such as at the "how dice saved civilization" story, courtesy of Herodotus. Which is a shame, because I liked some of the very basic ideas she was going off, I just found her to take them in some unconvincing directions. I do believe, similarly to the speaker I imagine, that fiction serves as more than just an escape from reality; that it is a way to interact with our reality on different terms and therefore gives us new tools to interact in this world. I also believe video/online games are truly unprecedented in how they allow the audience -really the participant- to interact with the reality of this fiction. These are things that need to be researched and discussed. I do not think, however, that from this we can make the straight transition to "We need to make the real world more like WoW so that people will play."

Simply enough, the draw of WoW as the speaker states it, which is what gives rise to many of the positive traits of gaming, is that it is built around the accessibility of "Epic Wins", that ultimate payoff of all the positive change the gamer has poured into the game. But this world isn't. That isn't to say "epic wins" or something like them aren't possible in this world, they occur--but there will be no epic win to world dependence on oil, even if we do avert total disaster. Nobody wants to play this game, because it's a downer, and saving yourself from yourself is no fun. We also like war games, but we seem to have finally decided it's time to withdraw troops from Iraq; apparently it's just not the same thing.

So no, I don't think tricking gamers into thinking Earth is the new Azeroth is a valid solution to our problems. Making them think the same way about Earth's problems as they do Azeroth's maybe is a first step, but there will still be a steep learning curve; I would suggest supplementing it with a much wider range of fiction, from Tolkien to Beckett and onwards. Maybe then we'd start to have a wide enough perspective of worlds as they could exist to deal with the world as it exists now.

Last edited:
Z

Zulkir

I don't think trying to tie those worlds together to solve real-life problems works. If anything WoW teaches you that any time you make a mistake you can hit a reset button and you're okay. In fact, people expose their greedy, asshole sides on the internet quite a bit.

People need awareness of the worlds problems to solve world issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back